365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Survival of the fittest

+11
Dave Wolfe
Dave P
Nick Morris
Tom H
mountandog
Mark B
nkrichards
Michele "1L" Keane
Jim Lentz
Alex Kubacki
Schuey
15 posters

Page 2 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Go down

Survival of the fittest - Page 2 Empty Re: Survival of the fittest

Post  Nick Morris Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:22 pm

Awwwww...such a cutie. And you are lucky to only be a short walk away!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:09 pm

Since I had to stop and learn how to post photos again I thought I'd post this.
Survival of the fittest - Page 2 00311
I've been trying to think of fun things to do with my Mom every few weeks.  I picked her up last Sunday and we drove to Astoria on the Oregon coast (mouth of the Columbia River) where we sailed on this ship....not just a normal sail but a battle sail.  We shot cannons at another ship...well at least made noise and smoke.  Our ship, Lady Washington, was used in the filming of Pirates of the Caribbean  It was a fun day!

It was also the start of a very good week.  I did miss my run on Monday but managed to find time to run both Wed and Fri and increased my Friday run to 6 miles.  I also swam twice and rode my bike twice.  I haven't had my bike out since last fall.  It felt great!  My legs reminded me to take it easy but I enjoyed the feeling...it's been a while.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:53 am

It looks like you are staying pretty active, even when you are not running. I think the swimming and biking is good cross training and should help out your running.

p.s. - That ship looks pretty cool.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:00 am

Tough couple weeks...

In addition to being busy on the farm, the almost two year old grandson has been sick and it was Dad's birthday.  It was pretty tough on Mom and I needed to spend some time with her.  Dad loved strawberries and he would always bring some over the mountain for us on his birthday.  Mom continued the tradition.

Mom also decided to give me the 1951 Ford pickup that her parents purchased and my Dad restored for Mom about 10 years ago.  Lots of emotions tied up in that decision.  We hauled it over the mountain...no one was game to drive it the 90 miles over the pass.  Our oldest son, Gary took Mom for a ride the day she brought over strawberries.

On the fitness front things have been a bit discouraging.  Running has been sporadic at best.  I dusted off my bike and promptly flattened the tire.  I don't know what I hit but it cut the sidewall and I was without a bike for a week.  Swimming continues to be the bright spot.  I did manage a nice slow 7 mile run yesterday.  Since I knew it had to be slow I ventured out on a bit hillier route.  It went well but I can tell today that I pushed things as far as I should have.

My Dad always said that if you are feeling proud of yourself you can always find someone who is doing better than you (Nick and Doug), and if you are feeling sorry for yourself you can always find someone who has more problems than you (Mark and Charles).

Time to take a deep breath and refocus.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:21 am

Wise words from your Dad.  My Dad turned 82 yesterday, and I'm several hours away, but it was good to speak with him.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:31 pm

I'm a bit embarrassed by the length of time I've been away.  What can I say...life has been hectic to say the least.  It continues to be a mix of great days and very difficult days.  I'm going to concentrate on the great days.

I ran my first real trail run.  I ran from the town of Madras 6.75 miles down a popular trail to Lake Simtustus where I met a group of friends for lunch to celebrate my swimming partners citizenship.  She moved here from China a couple years ago and has been working very hard on her test.  An experienced trail runner offered to run with me which was quite helpful and enjoyable.  It was a fun day!

I spent two days hiking with my daughter this weekend.  After breakfast with Mom Friday morning, we headed to the Columbia River Gorge where we hiked the Horsetail Falls loop (2.5 miles) then changed our shoes and headed into Oneonta Gorge.  This is very short but FUN!  The trail is the creek bed.  You wade up the creek, scale the log jam, continue wading/swimming up the creek depending on the water level until you reach a waterfall.  The water was just over my chin and it was COLD.  If you're ever in the Columbia River Gorge on a hot day don't pass up this one!

After we dried off we headed north into the state of Washington.  Several hours later we arrived at a campsite on the north east side of Mt. St. Helens.  I had booked a guided hike into the crater of the volcano.  This portion of the mountain is restricted and the only entry is with a guide.  It was a great group of 9 hikers...I was the only hiker old enough to remember the eruption in 1980!  We were guided by two staff members and two volunteers.  It was only a 9 mile hike but it was exhausting...and awesome.  A portion of the hike was off trail which was really tough but well worth the effort.  I'd share a photo but they just don't do it justice.  We finished the evening off with a burger at our favorite, Deas In and Out, with my Mom before going our separate ways.

I've been running, swimming and biking.  Not as much as I'd like but enough to get by.  I'm frustrated that I can't find the time to really train for a specific event...life is just to unpredictable at this point.  I will compete in the local triathlon next month.  I don't expect it to be one of my better performances but I will be there.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:21 am

Hey, Nancy.  Both the Columbia River Gorge and Mt St Helens sound so wonderful, especially Mt St Helens because I remember it erupting, as well. 

And as a reference to your signature, you just need to commit to come by more often.  Wink   Hang in there.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:53 pm

Sounds like a fun experience.  I remember flying over Mt. St. Helens not so long after the eruption and you could see where the side had blow off.  

I'm headed out your way next week for Hood to Coast - can you tell the heat and humidity to stop?  I'm used to humidity this summer but not heat.

Good to hear from you, Nancy.  Don't be a stranger.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:46 am

ounce wrote:Hey, Nancy.  Both the Columbia River Gorge and Mt St Helens sound so wonderful, especially Mt St Helens because I remember it erupting, as well. 

And as a reference to your signature, you just need to commit to come by more often.  Wink   Hang in there.

You're right Doug!  Even though family stuff is taking a lot of my time and energy there is no excuse for not making a commitment to stop in once a week!  I'll try and do better. Smile
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:01 am

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Sounds like a fun experience.  I remember flying over Mt. St. Helens not so long after the eruption and you could see where the side had blow off.  

I'm headed out your way next week for Hood to Coast - can you tell the heat and humidity to stop?  I'm used to humidity this summer but not heat.

Good to hear from you, Nancy.  Don't be a stranger.

I didn't realize you were running the Hood to Coast Michele!  It's still humid here which is quite unusual for Central Oregon...not sure what's going on.  It does look like the weather is going to cool down next weekend so it should be a bit more comfortable for the relay.  Enjoy...wish I could catch up with you while you're in Oregon.

A local team was looking for a runner for Hood to Coast and I also had an opportunity to run in the Cascade Lakes relay earlier this month but I don't think this is the year for that sort of thing...maybe someday.  I grew up in Sandy.  I think that the leg right after the van change at Sandy High School runs down 362nd and turns on Dunn.  We lived on 40 acres on that corner for 10 years.  We started our family there.  My brother lives there now.  It's all planted to hay and the house and barn are up on the hill with a fantastic view of Mt. Hood.

As far as my training goes, I'm still plugging away.  The triathlon is in 3 weeks.  I did my first bike/run workout yesterday and it went OK.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:38 am

I've always wanted to run Hood to Coast...especially after running a few Ragnar Relays. They are challenging races, as you have three small race with a short amount of rest, on no sleep. So much fun...

Hope that the triathlon goes well!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:19 am

Not much happening here other than wheat harvest.

I've been trying to get in some bike/run workouts and they are going OK.

Have been getting some pressure to fill in on a local Hood to Coast team that needs a female runner but this just isn't the year for me to do that.  Someday maybe.

Off to pickup my granddaughter for swimming.  She's swimming on a team for the local triathlon in a couple weeks.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:03 pm

Hey...I had a good run this morning!  Ran half mile intervals.  They weren't super fast but they were decent and felt pretty good. Smile

Maybe it's time to move from survival mode into fitness mode!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:41 am

Nice job on the intervals. it can feel good when running fast. The body usually becomes more efficient in its mechanics.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:47 pm

Thanks Alex...it's been awhile since I did anything fast and it did feel good.

Mac Dash (triathlon) is on Saturday.  I'm not nearly as prepared as I was last year but I've had a couple good outings lately so I'm feeling OK about it.  I don't expect it to be one of my best performances but I'll survive.

I had a nice bike ride this morning...finally...3 of my last 4 rides ended early due to flats.  I've run out of spare tubes and exploded one of the patched ones so I'll be purchasing some new tubes before the race.  Anyway...I pushed hard on the bike today and had a very nice ride.  I then struggled on my run.  I'm going to have to be careful to pace myself on race day.  It makes no sense to gain a couple minutes on the bike portion and then give those minutes and more back on the run.

Tomorrow I'll take my granddaughter Emma (age 10) to the pool with me.  I don't get the best workout when she's there but she needs the encouragement.  It will be her first year doing the full swim.  She's been doing the kids event which is quite short.  She's on a team with her Mom and Dad so she's just swimming.  She's excited. Very Happy
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:03 pm

Lots to catch up on...I've stopped by and posted a couple times but haven't updated here.

Had a very successful MacDash.  Not my best time but very acceptable considering my training and schedule this summer.

I had a great trip to Pikes Peak.  We got my Mom to the top...she's been wanting to go since her parents tried to take her in 1945 when she was 7.  Their vehicle didn't make it.  We started a trip a couple years ago but she had some health issues and we had to return home.  She was pretty happy to get to the top.  We went on the cog train one day and then drove the next day.  I was able to get in a short 3 mile hike the first morning and then a fun 6.5 mile run on second morning to watch the sunrise in Garden of the Gods.  The altitude and the trail were killers but it was fun!

AND...I got my email from BAA today.  I'm in for 2015.  I still can't believe I'm doing this!!!!!

I think I've managed to maintain a decent base level of fitness this summer but I'm going to have to buckle down and make a plan for the next few months.  I'd like to complete a local half marathon on a pretty tough trail in early December.  This will be my first trail race.  I should be able to recover from that event and be ready for Boston training. Running
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:45 am

nkrichards wrote:Lots to catch up on...I've stopped by and posted a couple times but haven't updated here.

Had a very successful MacDash.  Not my best time but very acceptable considering my training and schedule this summer.

I had a great trip to Pikes Peak.  We got my Mom to the top...she's been wanting to go since her parents tried to take her in 1945 when she was 7.  Their vehicle didn't make it.  We started a trip a couple years ago but she had some health issues and we had to return home.  She was pretty happy to get to the top.  We went on the cog train one day and then drove the next day.  I was able to get in a short 3 mile hike the first morning and then a fun 6.5 mile run on second morning to watch the sunrise in Garden of the Gods.  The altitude and the trail were killers but it was fun!

AND...I got my email from BAA today.  I'm in for 2015.  I still can't believe I'm doing this!!!!!

I think I've managed to maintain a decent base level of fitness this summer but I'm going to have to buckle down and make a plan for the next few months.  I'd like to complete a local half marathon on a pretty tough trail in early December.  This will be my first trail race.  I should be able to recover from that event and be ready for Boston training. Running
Congrats on Boston and the MacDash!

Did you have the donuts at the peak?
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:16 am

Wow, Nancy, that's great news.  I'm sure your mom was thrilled to finally get up to the top of Pikes Peak.

And gratz on Boston, too!  That's almost as fantastic.  Good luck with the training and staying healthy.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:00 pm

See you in April!!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:09 pm

Yes, Jim...donuts at the summit...both days!

Thanks Doug and Michele  I'm excited and nervous......

Easy swim on Monday to get the kinks out after so many hours on the train and plane.  It felt good.

I hit the roads this morning for a moderately hard 4 miles.  It went well all things considered.  My legs complained a bit afterwards.  I'm going to have to be careful not to increase my mileage and/or intensity to quickly.

More news...I'm on a team to run the Cascade Lakes Relay next July.  It's mostly on trails.  I'm the oldest member of the team and determined not to disappoint the rest of the team.  If we get in...it fills quickly...I'll be spending some time on trails in the heat of the day next summer.

Still in survival mode but gradually feel like life is getting more and more normal. Smile
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:20 pm

You could wave that BAA letter around to the rest of them.  "So, uh, who else has one of these?"  Wink
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:41 pm

No worries, Nancy, I was the 2nd oldest member of my HTC team and the oldest women by 5 yrs.  You will be great.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:34 am

ounce wrote:You could wave that BAA letter around to the rest of them.  "So, uh, who else has one of these?"  Wink

Actually a couple of them do...

Jamie (early 30's) is the team captain and she finished before the bombs.  She helped a few locals train for the Newport marathon in May.  She qualified again...by over 5 minutes but can't afford to go again this year.  Mark (age 50) trained for his first and qualified as well.  He's waiting to hear if his time gets him in.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:39 am

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:No worries, Nancy, I was the 2nd oldest member of my HTC team and the oldest women by 5 yrs.  You will be great.

I think I'm 6 years older than Mark who is the 2nd oldest on the team.  They are a nice bunch of people and we discussed my abilities before I agreed to sign on so I'm sure it will be fine.

This race is a bit different from HTC.  Each member has to run 3 legs but you don't have to run them in any order.  You can assign runners to different legs depending on ability and strengths.  The only rule is you can't change vans during the race.  I'm sure they'll choose to give me the easy/moderate legs and save the hill climbs for the youngsters.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:43 am

Farm work messed up my running plans yesterday.  I was hoping to get in some faster running as it's been awhile.  It was 4:00 before enough time opened up and I wasn't feeling the greatest.  Decided that an average run was better than no run at all.  I got in 3.5 miles including 4x400.  Times weren't what I had hoped for but it was on a road with rolling hills so I wasn't to disappointed.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum