365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

James Fell BQ

4 posters

Go down

James Fell BQ Empty James Fell BQ

Post  Jim Lentz Thu May 01, 2014 6:41 pm

Did anyone else read this article? He said he qualified for the Boston Marathon and ran it based on being 29 seconds under his qualifying time. How did he do that this year? There was a long article in the Chicago Tribune with this info and even though it was interesting at first, when I read the part about him getting in with 29 seconds to spare I wondered what else in the article was "enhanced". Did he get in through a charity, or because he is in the media got special consideration, or was it some other way.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

James Fell BQ Empty Re: James Fell BQ

Post  nkrichards Thu May 01, 2014 8:25 pm

He was a charity runner.  Running a BQ in October (after Boston was filled) was just done to enhance the story.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Fri May 02, 2014 11:00 am

I think when people write articles like that, they are thinking of the masses of readers who would have no clue about the fact that Boston was full and he couldn't get in at that time. It seems pretty misleading if he was a charity runner to leave the sort of impression that the article does.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Fri May 02, 2014 11:45 am

Eh, he ran a qualifying time and entered in a completely legal manner. I don't have any real problem with the writer taking a little journalistic license to make the story more appealing.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Tue May 06, 2014 2:07 pm

I agree that only those who know the Boston Marathon and what happened with registration would know about the issue. I don't mind someone running as a charity runner, I just felt misled and then the I wondered about the veracity of the rest of the story. Too bad as it was a pretty interesting story otherwise.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down