365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

UNDEFEATABLE!

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: UNDEFEATABLE!

Post  Schuey on Fri May 09, 2014 8:10 pm

@jon c wrote:It's a pretty helpless feeling when your child is in the hands of others...even if they are professionals.  Glad it wasn't any worse than stitches, although that is traumatic obviously.

Wish you the best in your new training mode for Chicago.  I'm going to attempt to follow some of these blogs this summer.  So I hope things go smoothly for you.

Oh, and Go Hawks!
Thanks Jon, yeah it was a pretty crazy moment but at the same time I was pretty surprised at home claim I was. I felt like I did a great job as a dad of taking care of the situation and keeping the family at ease.

GO HAWKS!!!
@Nick Morris wrote:
@Schuey wrote:
@Jerry wrote:Welcome back Schuey, I mean focus on marathoning. lol!

Thanks Jerry! I can tell you with 100% my focus is on the marathon! You are about to see an old fashion Schuey training cycle with a whole lot of whip ass going on this coming Chicago and Boston 15!

UNDEFEATABLE!

The Bull is back and for a great cause/reason.  I can't wait to watch it all unfold.
Thanks Nick, yeah with the Bull needs to start bucking sometime, might as well be this coming fall! 

@nkrichards wrote:
Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Can you make sure to talk about nutrition in this blog, Martin?  That would be much appreciated - thanks.
+1

It would be fantastic if you would share your nutrition knowledge!

Nancy, I will do my best to try a provide and share as much knowledge about nutrition in this blog. I'm still trying to outline how I would like to approach it. Again don't worry it will be coming.
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey on Fri May 09, 2014 8:35 pm

One of the great things that I love about running is the time I get to spend inside my own head. Sure, it can be a crazy place to be at times but I love searching and seeking thoughts with the depth of my mind and soul. I find it cool when I can contact with myself and have that during runs just to think about the all the great things in my life. 

Today was one of those days about 4 miles into a run that was suppose to only be 10 miles (which I ended up stretching to 12 miles) I just started thinking about the wonderful family I have. It was just one of the moments when it hit me again what a wonderful wife I have and how much she has help me grow as person over the last 6 years. I really think that if it wasn't for Lisa I would still be living a good life but she has help me take it to a completely different level. She has done nothing but given me love, support, advice, pushed me at times when I needed and most important has always had an open ear to just listen to me. 

Then there comes this little awesome human Kristina August! I can not tell you all how much I love this little girl!!! She is my world and helps make my life that more complete. I love being a father, I love watching her grow-up and love seeing myself and Lisa in this awesome human that we have created together.

I also reflexed on how excited I'm am about our future family member "Martin Alexander or Victoria Ann". I thought today on my run how cool it is going to be to watch Kristina be big sister. Know matter what else every goes on in my life I am so thankful to God for all the great gifts and people I have in my life now and in the near future. 

So to my two girls all ready in my life and to our future child (expected to join the family December 12th). I just wanted to say to you all thanks for helping make my run so awesome today and well I got everything , I've got you and I don't need nothing more than you!!

"I Got You"

Back when all my little goals seemed so important 
Every pot of gold fill and full of distortion 
Heaven was a place still in space not in motion 
But soon 

I got you 
I got everything 
I’ve got you 
I don’t need nothing 
More than you 
I got everything 
I’ve got you 

We went walking through the hills 
Tryin’ to pretend that we both know 
Maybe if we save up 
We can build a little home 
But then the hell storm came and yelled, 
“You need to let go, you’ve got no control. No.” 

I got you 
I got everything 
I’ve got you 
I don’t need nothing 
More than you 
I got everything 
I’ve got you 

This weight’s too much alone 
Some days I can't hold it at all 
You take it on for me 
When tomorrow’s too much 
I’ll carry it all 
I’ve got you 

And when tomorrow’s too much 
I’ll carry it all 
I got you 

I got you 
I got everything 
I’ve got you 
I don’t need nothing 
More than you 
I got everything 
I’ve got you
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt W on Tue May 13, 2014 2:05 am

Hey Buddy,

Congrats on Baby Schuey #2!!!!!!!!  Talk about burying the lead there.  Wink  It seems like you are enjoying life and getting that Schuey the Bull mojo back.  Hopefully we can work out a run together sometime this summer.  I should be in Chicago early July.  Maybe by then I'll be in good enough shape to keep up with you.  Congrats again and keep up the good running.
Matt W
Poster
Poster

View user profile http://www.redrockrunningcompany.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry on Tue May 13, 2014 8:26 am

@Matt W wrote:Hey Buddy,

Congrats on Baby Schuey #2!!!!!!!!  Talk about burying the lead there.  Wink  It seems like you are enjoying life and getting that Schuey the Bull mojo back.  Hopefully we can work out a run together sometime this summer.  I should be in Chicago early July.  Maybe by then I'll be in good enough shape to keep up with you.  Congrats again and keep up the good running.
Somebody actually read Schuey's crab. lol! 

Congratulations!
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Tue May 13, 2014 1:08 pm

Congrats, Schuey & Lisa on #2!
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Tue May 13, 2014 2:02 pm

Gratz to y'all!!  Another exciting time for y'all.  AND #2 will arrive in time to be claimed on the 2014 tax return!!   Money
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz on Tue May 13, 2014 2:15 pm

Congratulations!
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Wed May 14, 2014 9:52 am

I had to go back and reread every entry of this blog to make sure I hadn't "missed" the announcement, since you all of a sudden were talking about a second baby.  That was awfully sneaky.  Congratulations, man.  I guess I need to make it out to Boston again sometime to meet them both.  Or Chicago.  That might be easier.  Wink
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Wed May 14, 2014 10:14 am

Way to sneak in the future baby announcement, Schuey! Congrats! And watch out! Now the teams will be even. Wink
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey on Sat May 24, 2014 11:08 am

Hey everyone thanks for the congratulations! It sure is an awesome time and I love watching baby Schu #2 grow in Lisa's belly!

Been wanting to do some updates but just been a crazy week this past week! I promise I have some updates later this evening, it's now time to go and get a few things done before running today. One thing about having another baby I forgot how much stuff I have to do to help out!

One thing I will add to this post is my run that I had yesterday with Kristina. Normally my runs with her are between 5 to 10 miles. Yesterday I was going to just run 10 miles with her but ended up stretching it to over 16 miles. I was really surprised on how well I felt ended up running at an avg. pace of 7:16. I will admit that during the last 6 miles my shoulders and neck were getting a little crampy and sore but I got it done.
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt W on Sat May 31, 2014 12:07 am

It sounds like you haven't forgotten how to crank out a good run or two.  Smile  I'm going to have to work to keep up with you when I'm around in a month or so.  I'd better get training.
Matt W
Poster
Poster

View user profile http://www.redrockrunningcompany.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey on Sat May 31, 2014 6:01 pm

Again sorry for the language, we are all adults and plus I am a southsider.

Anyway fucking tearing it up on the poto so far this weekend! Man I sure do love getting back into the woods and going a few runs with the dirt, rocks, roots and oh the hills and heat! I'm brink going it! 

I will add a tree root did get me once and did a good superman at the end of a 25 miler this morning! Love it
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey on Sat May 31, 2014 6:04 pm

@Matt W wrote:It sounds like you haven't forgotten how to crank out a good run or two.  Smile  I'm going to have to work to keep up with you when I'm around in a month or so.  I'd better get training.
Yeah Matt that run with Kristina the other day I cranked out the last 3 in 6:54, 6:46 and 6:31! Cranking it while pushing my future Olympian. Haha
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c on Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:53 am

I had seen the announcement of sorts on Facebook.  Congrats!  That is so exciting!

Hope your training continues to go well.  Glad to see some of your passion coming out in the posts that you have made.  Awesome!

The Blackhawks were once bounce away from the finals. Tough way to see them go down. Good season again though.
jon c
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey on Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:06 pm

@jon c wrote:I had seen the announcement of sorts on Facebook.  Congrats!  That is so exciting!

Hope your training continues to go well.  Glad to see some of your passion coming out in the posts that you have made.  Awesome!

The Blackhawks were once bounce away from the finals.  Tough way to see them go down.  Good season again though.

Thanks Jon, yeah we are pretty excited about the new family member joining the family. We had the chance to find out the gender the other day but we decided to wait until the birthday to find out. Sure it would be nice to have a boy but really the only thing that matters is to me is a health baby! 

Training is going well, up to this point it's really just about getting out and running and doing it by feel. Although that is all about to change starting this coming week. Glad you like the seeing the passion come out, if there is one thing I don't lack when I put my mind to some thing is having passion (LOL). 

Yeah little bummed at first about the Hawks losing but like you said it was a great year. If you ask me they had there chances and could have been playing for the cup again this year. Lesson learn you can't take things for grant it and have to play with the pedal down the whole time and not think you can get it done when you have to. So, with that being said they got what they asked for and that is being on vacation watching the Kings and Rangers play for the cup.
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey on Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:43 pm

Alright game lights are starting to come on now! Starting Monday it is 18 weeks until marathon day!! Yeah buddy, time for training to change from the focus of just going out and running to getting down to business!! When I say getting down to business well that is what will be taking place come Monday morning. 

All my marathon running career has pretty much been about training myself either designing my own programs to at living. Well, that will be some thing new that will be changing this training cycle. After some long thinking and research, I have decided to contract the help of a professional coach. When I say a coach not just someone that is writing up a 18 week plan for me but a coach that I will be talking to on a weekly basis if not more during the week. My training is being down on a weekly basis and everything will be building on the prior week and how I'm feeling and adapting to training. 

Like I said it has been a long search and good amount research. I felt that I need to find someone that has a similar personality to me and is corky like I am. Also, I want to do something different with my training, I wanted to step outside my comfort zone. In order to do that I knew that it was time to find someone with approach/system that is pretty much different then what I have been doing over the past 9 years. Sure, I could have picked up a book or did this by reading online but I really wanted to work with someone and learn from that person about their system. I not only want to be coached and do some thing different but I want to learn from someone on a first hand experience. After going to Boston and talking with a elite female runner that Lisa and I have become pretty good friends with I decided the right choice for me was to be coached and learn from her coach. I know I know you all may be wondering ( or maybe not) who I will be working with for this training cycle? The choice I went with was Brad Hudson. 

I have to say what a really cool guy Brad is. Not only that but after my talks with him I have found that Brad is very very passioned about running and is very knowledgable. I have enjoy are talks about running and training and I have found that system/approach to training is not only different but it is a very on hands approach per runner. Although he has written a book and it is very general due to it being written for the masses, he approach with working with a runner is very individualize to that runner. He believes that every runner is different and things need to be tweaked and played with to fit the runner he is working with. 

With that we have put together my first week of training for Chicago!! Yeah buddy time to get to business! We are starting the mileage slowly and will be progressing to a peak of 135 miles.

Week 1 Chicago Marathon Training 2014 (Goal 2:45 or better)

Monday 6/9: AM 8 miles easy
                   PM 5 miles easy + 6 x short hills and core workout

Total 13 miles

Tuesday 6/10: AM 11 miles Fartlek workout (3mi w/u, 15 x 30sec (10k-5k) w/ 2:30 moderate, 2mi c/d)
                      PM 5 miles recovery

Total 16 miles

Wednesday 6/11: 13 miles easy and core workout

Total 13 miles

Thursday 6/12: AM 8 miles easy
                       PM 5 miles + 10x100m relaxed

Total 13 miles

Friday 6/13: AM 11 miles Progression workout (3mi w/u, 6mi prog. @ MP, 2mi c/d)
                   PM 6 miles Stride workout (3mi w/u, 8 x 200m/200m jog (1500m pace), 1mi c/d) and core workout

Total 17 miles

Saturday 6/14: OFF

Sunday 6/15: 16 miles easy to light moderate last 5k @ MP

TOTAL Mileage for Week: 88 miles

UNDEFEATABLE!!!
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:29 pm

Ye-haw! 88 miles in the first week of training, building to a peak of 135. Wow!

If that's not kicking it up a notch, I don't know what is. But I am sure that you're going to thrive under these conditions and with the guidance of such a talented coach. I can't wait to see where it takes you. Giddyup!
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey on Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:58 pm

@Mark B wrote:Ye-haw! 88 miles in the first week of training, building to a peak of 135. Wow!

If that's not kicking it up a notch, I don't know what is. But I am sure that you're going to thrive under these conditions and with the guidance of such a talented coach. I can't wait to see where it takes you. Giddyup!
Thanks Mark, yeah something tells me I will find a way to raise to the occasion. Actually to tell you the truth I really have found myself running wise again and the new training approach/system has really made it a lot fresher. I think that is what I needed to to get out of that old rut of training and take a different approach.
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey on Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:14 pm

The topic always seems to come up and even more so during this time of the year, so what can that topic be? Electrolyte replacement! It always seems that people are always complaining about it or looking for better ways to effectively manage their electrolyte levels and heed off the dreaded cramps during training/racing. This becomes even more prevalent during the summer months. 

Electrolytes are a keying ingredient to help keep our bodies running in a effective matter. Therefore, it is important that this key ingredients are balanced and adequate for our heart, nerves, and digestive system to working properly. We all know that once the first signs of cramping creep up that our electrolyte levels have fallen below the E (empty) line and if something isn't done quickly to restore them things can get pretty ugly fast. I know this from a first hand experience last summoner running the North Country 50 miler. I went with a different approach to nutrition/hydration and really paid the price dearly and came pretty close to me taking my first DNF in a race. I will also have to say that even though I was able to get myself back on track enough to finish, I would strongly advice not waiting until you feel as if you are dehydrated or hitting wall (bonking) before restoring fluids/calories. 

One major thing that everyone should keep in mind is that just like sticking to a race strategy or even splits during a race, one should take the same approach to electrolyte replacement by doing it gradually, consistently and completely. Another thing to note our bodies can only replace about 1/3 of what it loses during exercise. So, the old theory "consume what you lose" in equal amounts just doesn't work! As we are now learning more and more these days "if you try to replace all of the electrolytes lost, the hormones your body releases can trigger problems such as gastric distress, edema, muscle spasms, and cramping." 

Again, it is important to have the right balance of sodium, chloride, calcium, magnesium and potassium. Please remember that eating salty foods and/or "SALT TABLETS" WON'T get it done for replacing electrolytes!!!! I hear about it all the time and read about it all the time people thing just taking salt tablets is going to fix their electrolyte issues during training and running. When one should be like Ounce has been doing adhere to a low-sodium take on their daily diet and when training/racing to take a product (Enurolytes (Extreme), Fizz, Nuun, etc.) that is complete without compromising internal regulations. Do this and I assure you that you will see huge improvements not only in how you feel but how you perform during training and racing! 

Here is some good information/secrets that I have run across reading an article:

"#1 Cramping isn't the only problem caused by low levels of electrolytes.

Without the proper levels of electrolytes, your body can't properly carry out may critical body functions, including muscle contractions and the transmission of nerve impulses. (Electrolytes are chemicals that form electrically charged particles, or ions, in body fluids. Ions carry the electrical energy needed form many body functions.)

#2 Salt tablets are not the answer.

How you replenish those electrolytes can mean the difference between staying strong and struggling to finish. Salt tablets are an unacceptable choice for electrolyte replenishment for two important reasons:

1. They can oversupply sodium, thereby overwhelming your body's complex mechanism for regulating this electrolyte.

2. They provide only two of the electrolytes your body requires sodium and chloride.

Your body has very effective mechanisms for monitoring, recirculating, and conserving its stores of sodium, and consuming excess sodium disrupts or neutralizes these complex mechanisms. If your body detects an increase in sodium from outside sources (e.g. salt tablets, electrolyte products to high in sodium, or food), the kidneys will excrete sodium, and a hormone, vasopressin, will cause fluids to be retained.

So while ingesting large amounts of sodium may temporarily resolve a sodium deficiency, it also substantially increases the risk of other problems - like swelling of hands and feet, elevated blood pressure, and increased sodium excretion. All inhibit performance.

#3 Skip the salty foods.

If you're getting more than 2,300 milligrams per day of sodium (the upper-end recommended dose) in your diet, you can be sure your sodium loss rates during exercise will be greater, too. Sodium drives thirst, and thirst drives drinking until excess results. Over-hydration is definitely not performance enhancing; in fact, it can have life-threatening and even fatal consequences.

You can daily get an adequate amount of sodium simply by eating natural, unprocessed foods. In addition, the average athlete stores at least 8,000mg of dietary sodium in tissues, so you already have a vast reservoir of sodium available in your body from your diet, ready to serve you during exercise. 

#4 Replenish electrolytes gradually, consistently and comprehensively.

Proper electrolyte replenishment during endurance exercise requires a consistent approach that incorporates all of the electrolytes in amounts that do not override your normal body mechanisms. Your electrolyte intake must avoid detection by your body's natural "radar system," yet be potent enough to support body functions and prevent heat-related issues such as cramping."
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:58 pm

Nice write up, Schuey.  Approval 

I will say that when I get low on electrolytes, I will get dizzy.  It never happens during a run (or I haven't ran long enough to get dizzy), but usually a few hours afterwards.  At that point, it seems for me that a 1/4 tsp of Pink Himalayan salt will fix me.  Morton salt has been depleted of a lot of minerals and has been bleached.

But electrolyte balance is important.  Isn't potassium the electrolyte that needs to be in balance with sodium?

Good luck with the coach, sir.
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:14 pm

I would definitely agree Schuey.  I try to keep tabs on my electrolyte balance and take calcium, magnesium and zinc supplements as well as drinking alot of Nuun.  I do use S-caps when I run a long run or race, but only as an adder since I am a heavy sweater.  I also basically only get "salt" from natural sources as I rarely eat processed foods and I do not slat anything; however, I also often feel like I crave "salt".  Now can you answer why that may be?

Good luck with the aggressive training.  I'm excited to follow along and see the results.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:41 pm

I wanna hear about that fartlek...  Looks like something straight out of Run Faster.  I wonder why.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey on Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:25 am

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:I would definitely agree Schuey.  I try to keep tabs on my electrolyte balance and take calcium, magnesium and zinc supplements as well as drinking alot of Nuun.  I do use S-caps when I run a long run or race, but only as an adder since I am a heavy sweater.  I also basically only get "salt" from natural sources as I rarely eat processed foods and I do not slat anything; however, I also often feel like I crave "salt".  Now can you answer why that may be?

Good luck with the aggressive training.  I'm excited to follow along and see the results.

Well Michele as we all know I'm no doctor and it seems like all kinds of thing can cause cravings for salt. Adrenal fatigue, Addison disease, menstrual, etc.. Another cause for it could be the hormone Aldosterone regulates blood mineral levels and increases body fluid, a imbalance in this hormone may cause excess sodium and chloride lost. Which could be why in return you have craving for salt and salty food.

Another thing is that you did state that you are a "heavy sweater". You know it might be a good thing to talk to your doctor about and maybe even get tested on your electrolyte numbers and see if there are any imbalances and see what else may be causing the salt cravings. Pretty interesting stuff and would like to know why when it seems like you are getting more than enough sodium in your diet that you crave it that much. If I run across anything else that seems to interesting to your situation I will let you know.
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey on Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:49 am

@ounce wrote:Nice write up, Schuey.  Approval 

I will say that when I get low on electrolytes, I will get dizzy.  It never happens during a run (or I haven't ran long enough to get dizzy), but usually a few hours afterwards.  At that point, it seems for me that a 1/4 tsp of Pink Himalayan salt will fix me.  Morton salt has been depleted of a lot of minerals and has been bleached.

But electrolyte balance is important.  Isn't potassium the electrolyte that needs to be in balance with sodium?

Good luck with the coach, sir.
Thanks,

I guess you could use the word "balance" with sodium. Potassium and sodium team up to regulate our bodies water balance and heart rhythms. If the two minerals are not balanced nerve and muscle functions become out of whack. As already stated if potassium becomes low/insufficient this than could lead to cramping, fatigue and even muscle damage. The following could lower potassium excessive sweating, sugar, high intake of salt (again going back to what you said the two need to be balanced), alcohol, coffee and physical and mental stress. 

Thought you might find this information a little useful from my training book.

Sodium: main functions extracellular cation, regulation of osmolarity, regulation of body fluid balance, active transport across cell membranes, uptake of some nutrients in intestines, and muscle contraction and nerve impulse transmission

Chloride: main functions extracellular anion and control of fluid balance

Potassium: main functions intracellular cation, fluid balance, nerve transmission and muscle contraction and glycogen formation.
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey on Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:51 am

@Mike MacLellan wrote:I wanna hear about that fartlek...  Looks like something straight out of Run Faster.  I wonder why.
Haha, I take you saw the run on Strava? I'll give more details about it.

Hey when were you thinking about coming through Chicago and need a place to crash?
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top