365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Western States 100 is ON!

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: Western States 100 is ON!

Post  Schuey on Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:34 pm

@Mark B wrote:What also amazes me is how fast they turn around those aid station stops, even this far into the race.

That's a good lesson for us newbie trail runners who slowly linger at the food table like it's some sort of Vegas buffet. rabbit

Good point Mark, something to keep in mine along with everything else I will have to learn.

93.5 miles in and no change on the top 3 men. Wolfe still 4 mins behind Kilian, Clarke has fallen off a little more time wise. I guess one would get a little tired after 93.5 miles.

Garneau still leading the women and has moved up to 15th overall!

Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim M on Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:50 pm

Kilian takes the win. Wolfe second and Nick Clark rounding out the podium.

Amazing how many runners got chicked by Tracy Garneau too. Someone was joking about how Hal Koerner dropped out after getting chicked.
Tim M
Poster
Poster

View user profile http://runhappyrunmore.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim M on Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:46 am

Shocked!

Top Women Leaders
Place Bib No Name Gender Age Checkpoint Distance Time In Elapsed Status
1 20 Ellie Greenwood F 32 Auburn Finish Line 100.2 10:55pm 17:55:00 Finished
2 26 Kami Semick F 44 Auburn Finish Line 100.2 11:17pm 18:17:00 Finished
3 F3 Nikki Kimball F 40 Auburn Finish Line 100.2 11:17pm 18:17:00 Finished
4 F1 Tracy Garneau F 42 Auburn Finish Line 100.2 11:22pm 18:22:00 Finished
5 F4 Rory Bosio F 26 Auburn Finish Line 100.2 11:37pm 18:37:00 Finished
Tim M
Poster
Poster

View user profile http://runhappyrunmore.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  KBFitz on Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:26 am

Don't be shocked -- all manner of things can happen in a race like this. And what a story in this year's womens race! All info below is from iRF (iRunFar) blog posts:

At Hwy 49 (Mile 93.5) Kami was in the lead with Tracy in 2nd (6 minutes back), Ellie in 3rd looking strong (10 mins back) and Nikki in 4th (18 mins back). Forty-five minutes later at the finish, the announcer announced someone saw a bear in the last four miles of the course. ... ... ... After her win, Ellie said that she felt bad earlier in the race, hamstrings seizing. That her crew and race volunteers put her back together. After her finish, Kami said she was delayed by bear for 7 Minutes. Other girls caught up. They passed bear as group, then raced. Apparently the bear has a cub that she's fiercely protecting. It was hissing at the group of 3 ladies. Kami said she tried to respond to Ellie's pass for about 10 seconds, then realized, "I have no gas in the tank."

Wild stuff! And fitting. It is the Western States 100 Mile Endurance Run after all.
KBFitz
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey on Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:40 am

@KBFitz wrote:Don't be shocked -- all manner of things can happen in a race like this. And what a story in this year's womens race! All info below is from iRF (iRunFar) blog posts:

At Hwy 49 (Mile 93.5) Kami was in the lead with Tracy in 2nd (6 minutes back), Ellie in 3rd looking strong (10 mins back) and Nikki in 4th (18 mins back). Forty-five minutes later at the finish, the announcer announced someone saw a bear in the last four miles of the course. ... ... ... After her win, Ellie said that she felt bad earlier in the race, hamstrings seizing. That her crew and race volunteers put her back together. After her finish, Kami said she was delayed by bear for 7 Minutes. Other girls caught up. They passed bear as group, then raced. Apparently the bear has a cub that she's fiercely protecting. It was hissing at the group of 3 ladies. Kami said she tried to respond to Ellie's pass for about 10 seconds, then realized, "I have no gas in the tank."

Wild stuff! And fitting. It is the Western States 100 Mile Endurance Run after all.

Yeah that is wild stuff and awesome! Not only is it the 100 miles of racing that makes this event and other trail runs amazing an special but the fact that nature can play a role in the outcome of the event.

Oh Kevin we have to talk soon. I'm going to need some help and guidance from you for the JFK 50.
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:07 pm

@KBFitz wrote:Don't be shocked -- all manner of things can happen in a race like this. And what a story in this year's womens race! All info below is from iRF (iRunFar) blog posts:

Wild stuff, indeed! You never know what's going to happen out there.

Speaking of which... they still haven't hit the 30-hour cutoff, so there are probably people STILL out there trying to finish.
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick on Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:26 pm

What a story with the bears! Hats off to all the finishers! I looked through the drop list and a couple of poor souls made it to 93.5 and then dropped for whatever reason. That would be crushing... Even to make it to the 85.2 station and then fall apart would be rough. Amazing collection of people...

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:30 pm

...I fucking hate bears. Why did I have to read this? Mad
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey on Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:32 pm

@Mike MacLellan wrote:...I fucking hate bears. Why did I have to read this? Mad

Yeah how about it! I hope that we don't have to encounter this someday! But then again I had my run in with Black bears in the Trinity Wilderness back in the day. Not a fun thing to deal with at times.
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey on Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:33 pm

@Mike MacLellan wrote:...I fucking hate bears. Why did I have to read this? Mad

AHAHA! The best post! AHAHA! lol! lol!
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse