365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chicago Marathon Implements a Lottery...

+6
mountandog
Jim Lentz
mul21
ounce
Michele "1L" Keane
Nick Morris
10 posters

Go down

Chicago Marathon Implements a Lottery... Empty Chicago Marathon Implements a Lottery...

Post  Nick Morris Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:25 am

Looks like there are ways to be guaranteed into the race, as well. Registration to open up on March 5th.

http://www.chicagomarathon.com/participant-information/registration/
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Chicago Marathon Implements a Lottery... Empty Re: Chicago Marathon Implements a Lottery...

Post  Nick Morris Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:26 am

Looks like I can get in on time. Registration is $185...Man I remember when it was less than $130!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Chicago Marathon Implements a Lottery... Empty Re: Chicago Marathon Implements a Lottery...

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:29 am

I guess this was expected.  Interesting that there appear to be no age standards for the time qualifiers.  At least Boston and NYC have those.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:40 am

The lottery requirements are almost exact to Houston, except Chicago has a past 10 year finishes.  Plus Houston has a special perk where 10+ year finishers get to decide on running Houston, or not, as late as 2 months prior to the race.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:38 pm

Man, $185 is getting a little steep.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:08 pm

mul21 wrote:Man, $185 is getting a little steep.  
Agreed, but it will still fill up pretty fast. I can get in as a legacy finisher, but not sure I want to pay the $185.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:04 pm

This was inevitable.  Oh well, glad I got to do this with my wife and 4 of my kids last yr.  Only Chelsea, Trevor and me qualify now.  Wonder what the odds of the other 3 getting in via loteery.  Anybody ever see anything on the number of lottery entrants last yr?
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:57 pm

mountandog wrote:This was inevitable.  Oh well, glad I got to do this with my wife and 4 of my kids last yr.  Only Chelsea, Trevor and me qualify now.  Wonder what the odds of the other 3 getting in via loteery.  Anybody ever see anything on the number of lottery entrants last yr?

I'd bet it's a pretty high %.  I don't think there have been that many people who have wanted to get in the last few years who haven't.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:09 pm

There of course will be tens of thousands of charity entrance slots available as usual. Carey is very proud of the history of fund raising associated with this race.
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:52 pm

Well after speaking with a fiend of mine a while back that works for the marathon, I knew this was coming. Don't have to worry about the lottery since I qualify by time and by running it 5 times in the past 10 years. Still going to bitch at my buddy for the price going up! I just don't get it every year it keeps going up and nothing new or different is being done.

I'm really at a crossroads with this race, I want to keep doing it since this year will be 10yrs in a row but at the same time 185 dollars to run a race!!!!! All these big races are getting way out of control and to be honest I think they know they are taking advantage of people. They have the attitude hey we will can get charging whatever we want because we will run them. Sad very sad!! Then on the other hand being a business person, I love the capitalism!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:01 pm

I'm not sure, Schuey, that the big races are really making any more money as I think their fees are being raised as well.  I read something that Mary Wittenberg said regarding the increased cost of police presence and closing down the roads  - it had risen exponentially and I'm guessing even more this year than last given the Boston incident.  $185 is tough to swallow, I agree especially when I just registered for a half marathon in Youngstown for $30, but then again, who wants to go to Youngstown.  It certainly isn't a destination race, and Chicago is.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:25 pm

Michele, I would agree to the fact that they might not be making much but they are taking great advantage of runners. The cities and races are taking advantage of the situation let's raise the cost of closing the roads oh let's have more police. Funny running on the say roads as 2005 and nothing has changed and the entry fee was 90 dollars.  Oh wait the extra police they brought in for Chicago this year did it for free! Yep, Lisa and I talked to a few of them and they said they weren't getting paid for it.

Also what I think is going on with these big races that are part of the world majors is our money is going to pay the 500,000 winning prize to each gender. Which to me is totally BS!!! 

I knew it was coming let's us Boston and two nut heads for a reason to raise the price. To me that was a one and done thing and to be honest if someone or group wants to do that at a marathon again let me tell you there 26.2 miles to be able to do it and to hurt a lot of people. There is no way to watch the entry course.

So, yes I call BS on these races and for them taking advantage of runners. Again I will go on to say from a business standpoint and capitalism I would do the same thing. I knew just as well as them that people will continue to sign up, tell them they will be safe look at all the police, oh hey we have to pay more now to have the roads close. It's brilliant and people buy into it.

To add someone is making money, cause if they weren't these races would not be taking place. Also hey whats wrong with Youngstown??? Lisa and I stated there one year on way to JFK. I like Youngstown nice place.  Smile
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:04 pm

Well, I'm glad you made it safely out of Youngstown as it is the mob capital of Ohio.  I agree, Schuey, as long as people keep signing up, the price will go up and it does make it difficult to justify.  You can still run the Peachtree 10k for $35, get a coveted t-shirt (it is cotton but with a special design which is different every year),and they give out significant prize money and appearance fees.

I do remember back in the late 1980s when the Chicago marathon pretty much ceased to exist.  It would be sad if they priced themselves out of business.  In fact, I think more and more new runners will turn to half marathons rather than full marathons and those prices have already risen significantly.  Have you see how much an RnR Half race costs???  Upwards of $130.

Prices for the big city races have definitely gotten a bit out of hand, they are still cheaper than an Ironman (full or half) though.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:08 pm

OMG the RnR stuff is crazy!! I stopped running there events a long time ago! I agree on everything you said and finding it hard to move away from running Chicago and Boston. I do see myself being pulled to more trail races because of the price but more for the beauty and challenge of the trail. 

Speaking of road racing are you do Shamrock shuffle this year. I told Lisa that I'm surprised the price of that hasn't gotten crazy!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:21 pm

I'm tempted, Schuey, but it is the week after a half that I plan on racing in Atlanta.  As I said in my blog, I do need to get in a long run before Boston - but Chicago and an 8K would sure be fun.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff F Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:46 pm

Schuey wrote:
Speaking of road racing are you do Shamrock shuffle this year. I told Lisa that I'm surprised the price of that hasn't gotten crazy!

The price hasn't gotten crazy...my employer pays for about 100 employees to run Shamrock each year so I get in for nothing.
Jeff F
Jeff F
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:53 pm

Jeff F wrote:
Schuey wrote:

The price hasn't gotten crazy...my employer pays for about 100 employees to run Shamrock each year so I get in for nothing.
Lucky dog! Hope all is being going well Jeff!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:06 pm

The money I made on Bank of America stock can pay my Chicago expenses all inclusive for years to come. Oh well, that is if I can forget the loss I had on others ... Shots
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down