365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A really cool turn of events...

+9
Mark B
Julie
carleenp
Michele "1L" Keane
Admin
ounce
Schuey
Jerry
Seth Harrison
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

A really cool turn of events... Empty A really cool turn of events...

Post  Seth Harrison Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:21 am

Hi friends, once again, I’ve been largely absent from the discussions for some time. After sustaining a really bad injury a few months back, I haven’t had much motivation to talk about my latest woes. Back in early August, I crashed on my bike while training for an Olympic tri, which was to be my goal race of the summer. I fractured and dislocated my shoulder, and did quite a bit of damage, including a torn rotator cuff, torn labrum, and nerve damage that has left my arm somewhat numb. Three orthopedists told me that they thought I’d be able to avoid surgery, and that the damage would heal on its own. Long story short, this past Wednesday I ended up having arthroscopic surgery to repair the damage that just wasn’t healing.
Stepping back in the story a few weeks, I recently received, as many who ran Boston last year did, an email from the B.A.A. saying that they were opening up 250 spots for people who were involved in last years race. In 1500 words, they wanted to know why I should be given one of these 250 spots. After qualifying for and running two Bostons, I had always said that I would never run Boston without having legitimately qualified, and after last year’s dismal performance at Boston, where I finished a few minutes before the explosions with a knee the size of a large grapefruit and with my slowest marathon time ever, I had resigned myself to the fact that the 2013 Boston Marathon would be my last marathon. Well, I’ve had a really hard time accepting this, and an especially hard time with the idea that I wouldn’t be in Boston next year to take part in what will no doubt be a very special day. So when I got that email from the B.A.A. it didn’t take more than a nanosecond for me to re-neg on my promise to not run Boston without having qualified. I sat down and over the next two days, composed a three paragraph, heartfelt essay and sent it off to the B.A.A. I received an email back saying that they would be letting people know who had been accepted on Dec. 4th, which turned out to be the day of my surgery. So I come out of surgery, and the very first thing I see after being awake enough to check my phone, is an email saying that my essay was accepted and I’ll be receiving entry into this year’s Boston Marathon. Wow, what a turn of events for me. So here I am, less than 48 hours after shoulder surgery, thinking once again about another winter of marathon training leading up to one more trip to Boston. Needless to say, I have no illusions of being able to run a strong marathon. My days of PR’s are behind me. I just want to be there with everyone else, and to show my love for this race and for this city, and hopefully cover the distance in a respectable time. I’m just so happy that I’ll be able to participate in the 2014 Boston Marathon. I look forward to chatting with everyone over the next few months, and hopefully getting together again next April.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

A really cool turn of events... Empty Re: A really cool turn of events...

Post  Jerry Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:42 am

Even though we are not Kenny type, who can find spiritual meaning from running, it's still hard to say goodbye to something we have been doing for so long.

I will see you in April, Seth.

Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:53 am

Seth this is awesome news! I like so forward to seeing you this spring. By the way sure do miss having you around buddy!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:55 am

So, you're going to make some lemonade from those lemons.  Good luck on the rehab. 

Surely, the running movement in your arms will help your rehab and, no, I'm not calling you "Surely."

Welcome back and maybe move your post to a new blog!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:03 pm

That's great news! Heal up, man... you've got some trainin' to do!

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:05 pm

I'm so happy - yeah!!!!!  See you in April, Seth! I will be honored to sit in Hopkinton with you once again.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:06 pm

Jerry wrote:Even though we are not Kenny type, who can find spiritual meaning from running, it's still hard to say goodbye to something we have been doing for so long.

I will see you in April, Seth.

Looking forward to seeing you as well Jerry. I remember so well that you were one of the first people to call me after the bombs went off last April.

Schuey wrote:Seth this is awesome news! I like so forward to seeing you this spring. By the way sure do miss having you around buddy!
Hey Schuey, can't wait to see you guys as well. Thanks for the kind words.

ounce wrote:So, you're going to make some lemonade from those lemons.  Good luck on the rehab. 

Surely, the running movement in your arms will help your rehab and, no, I'm not calling you "Surely."

Welcome back and maybe move your post to a new blog!
Ounce, the surgeon thinks I'll be able to run in 2-3 weeks. I haven't thought about the arm movement helping the healing process. I hope you're right. I'll try to get a blog going once I start training.

Mr MattM wrote:That's great news!  Heal up, man... you've got some trainin' to do!
Thanks Mr.Matt...winter marathon training isn't my favorite, but the goal certainly makes it worth it.

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:I'm so happy - yeah!!!!!  See you in April, Seth! I will be honored to sit in Hopkinton with you once again.
Hey Michele, I definitely can't wait to see you in Boston and be sitting around AV with everyone again!
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:16 pm

That is awesome news!
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

http://beautyandfashiontech.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:25 pm

carleenp wrote:That is awesome news!
Thanks Carleen! It is pretty awesome.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:50 pm

Happy for you Seth! So sorry to hear of your injuries. I hope your healing is complete and you're able to return to cycling without long-term pain. Also best wishes on winter training for Boston! Congrats!
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:57 pm

lol! So what exactly you and John wrote to BAA to get in? You know Jerry?
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:45 pm

Julie wrote:Happy for you Seth! So sorry to hear of your injuries. I hope your healing is complete and you're able to return to cycling without long-term pain. Also best wishes on winter training for Boston! Congrats!
Thanks Julie! No cycling until next Spring, most likely not until after Boston. 

Jerry wrote:lol! So what exactly you and John wrote to BAA to get in? You know Jerry?
Okay Jerry, here's the essay that they obviously liked...a bit on the sappy side, but it's the real thing.

As I approached the last few miles of the 2013 Boston Marathon, a badly swollen knee forced me into a run/walk finish. After three knee surgeries, I was resigned to the fact that my second Boston would most likely be my last marathon. As I neared the Citgo sign, I could have sworn that whenever I stopped to walk, the crowds lining the course would start cheering for me. By the third time it happened, I was sure of it. A guy in the crowd yelled “you’re awesome, man!” I yelled back, “no, you’re awesome!” When the bombs went off about 15 minutes after I finished, I soon knew that it was these amazing people who had carried me with their cheers across the finish line that were the targets of whoever had perpetrated this horror.
I drove home from Boston the next day with a broken heart that has yet to mend. My thoughts since then have dwelled on how I would love to be part of next year’s marathon. I’ve been trying to wrap my mind around not running Boston next year. While the knee that caused me so much trouble during last year’s marathon remains troublesome, the rest of me, every fiber in my body, most of all my heart, longs to line up in Hopkinton with everyone else.
I wish to run next year’s Boston to honor those who line the course for 26.2 miles, to honor those injured and lost, and to show my love for a city whose spirit will never be cowed.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:01 am

Nice
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:45 am

Well said Seth. It will indeed be special and I'm going to really train for this one
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:58 pm

Such great news! You've had more than your share of struggles lately, so it's good that this went your way.

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:54 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Well said Seth. It will indeed be special and I'm going to really train for this one
Thanks Michele...unfortunately this won't be one that I'll be able to really train hard for. First of all, my knee can't handle true marathon training any longer. Last year's Boston experience removed any doubt about that. Also, by the time I'm recovered from this shoulder surgery and able to run I'll have less than four months to get ready. What I'm thinking more and more about is to run the race while covering it for my newspaper. I think it could be very cool to run the course while capturing iPhone video of the experience, especially the crowds that line the course the whole way. Considering how awesome the crowd support was for me as I struggled last year, and given that it was these amazing people who were the targets of the terrorism, I think it would be both a personal statement on my part as well as a meaningful way to cover it. I'd also provide a first person story for the paper and website. It's just a thought right now, but the more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to do it this way.

Mark B wrote:Such great news! You've had more than your share of struggles lately, so it's good that this went your way.

Thanks Mark. It's also definitely giving me something to focus on while being in a heck of a lot of post surgery pain. pale
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:29 pm

Do you really think this might be your last marathon?

Great essay. I hope the marathon is healing for all of you.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:31 pm

Julie wrote:Do you really think this might be your last marathon?

Great essay. I hope the marathon is healing for all of you.
Julie, considering that last year's Boston was supposed to be my last one, I'd say there's a pretty good chance that this one will indeed be the last one.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:51 pm

Awesome idea Seth!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:32 am

That's great news Seth. Looking forward to meeting you in Boston.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:51 pm

Seth - I am glad to see that you found your way back to us. I also hope that the surgery you had on your shoulder will help it heal with full recovery. As for as running Boston and running in general, I am glad that you get another chance to run such a wonderful race that means a lot to many people. If this were to be your final marathon, then I do not see a better way to go out!!! I look forward to following your journey Smile
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:15 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Awesome idea Seth!
Thanks Michele, I'm hoping my editors feel the same way.
Alex Kubacki wrote:That's great news Seth. Looking forward to meeting you in Boston.
Thanks Alex. Same here.
Nick Morris wrote:Seth - I am glad to see that you found your way back to us.  I also hope that the surgery you had on your shoulder will help it heal with full recovery.  As for as running Boston and running in general, I am glad that you get another chance to run such a wonderful race that means a lot to many people.  If this were to be your final marathon, then I do not see a better way to go out!!!  I look forward to following your journey Smile
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:16 pm

Nick Morris wrote:Seth - I am glad to see that you found your way back to us.  I also hope that the surgery you had on your shoulder will help it heal with full recovery.  As for as running Boston and running in general, I am glad that you get another chance to run such a wonderful race that means a lot to many people.  If this were to be your final marathon, then I do not see a better way to go out!!!  I look forward to following your journey Smile      Thanks Nick! The good news is that I saw the surgeon today and he gave me the green light to start training. Off I go!
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:29 pm

Seth Harrison wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:Seth - I am glad to see that you found your way back to us.  I also hope that the surgery you had on your shoulder will help it heal with full recovery.  As for as running Boston and running in general, I am glad that you get another chance to run such a wonderful race that means a lot to many people.  If this were to be your final marathon, then I do not see a better way to go out!!!  I look forward to following your journey Smile      Thanks Nick! The good news is that I saw the surgeon today and he gave me the green light to start training. Off I go!

SWEET!!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:31 am

Wow Seth - I missed this until now, but that is really big and really good news!  Congrats and it sounds like you will enjoy the ride, probably more than most.  Sorry to hear about the biking accident though - that really sucks.  Hope the healing goes well - sounds like 2014 will be a healing year for a lot of reasons...

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next