365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

What Comes Next

Page 3 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: What Comes Next

Post  Mark B on Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:59 pm

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:my intestines were gurgling and rumbling like distant thunder, so I didn't want to have to make a mess behind somebody's prize rhododendron.
Such the thoughtful person
... who doesn't want to end up in his own newspaper. Wink
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:39 pm

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:my intestines were gurgling and rumbling like distant thunder, so I didn't want to have to make a mess behind somebody's prize rhododendron.
So, I guess that means you've broken your habit of peeing on the fire hydrants?
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:43 pm

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:
Nice trick question, Ounce!
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:44 pm

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:
Well, you could've said, "Yes, because I use the newspaper to become paper-trained."
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:59 pm

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:
Well, you could've said, "Yes, because I use the newspaper to become paper-trained."
Ooo. Nice.
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:07 pm

ounce wrote:
My stomach is rumbling from laughing too hard...lol!
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:26 pm

Consider it fertilization of the rhododendrons.

I should go back and revisit the spot where I last did that, and see how the surrounding shrubbery is doing.

I admire your ability to just run until you feel like you're done. Only works on a treadmill or track, I suppose. Well, unless one feels like walking home.
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:57 pm

Nick Morris wrote:
ounce wrote:
My stomach is rumbling from laughing too hard...lol!
Glad we could be here for you, Nick...

Michael Enright wrote:Consider it fertilization of the rhododendrons.

I should go back and revisit the spot where I last did that, and see how the surrounding shrubbery is doing.

I admire your ability to just run until you feel like you're done. Only works on a treadmill or track, I suppose. Well, unless one feels like walking home.
Hey, Michael! I'm sure the shrubbery wouldn't mind. But the people whose window it's growing next to? tongue 

I use the run-till-you're-done approach when I'm barefooting, too. I will run around the block until I hit my goal or it feels like it's time to stop. If I have to walk home, at least it's not very far. There have been more than a few times when I have gotten to the turnaround on an out-and-back when I realize I've gone too far. That return trip isn't always fun.

It's finally dropped below freezing here -- this much-anticipated cold snap has been slow in coming. And I'm suspicious about how cold it'll actually get, and for how long. The Rockies and northern Great Plains seem to be getting the brunt of this system at this point.
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:15 am

Yeah, looks like y'all are getting the backside of the action.
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:25 am

ounce wrote:Yeah, looks like y'all are getting the backside of the action.
Yep. 22 this morning. Plenty chilly, but given all the hype -- I want the teens, or lower.

No, I'm not bare footing today. Mostly because I won't have time, and because my runs need to all be in the testers to even approach the minimum use they need. Not doing so well on ramping up the miles this time. Neutral 
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:37 pm

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:Yeah, looks like y'all are getting the backside of the action.
Yep. 22 this morning. Plenty chilly, but given all the hype -- I want the teens, or lower.
Good luck with that.  Weatherpersons love to hype (probably the Producers more).  We get it all summer long with hurricanes and tropical storms, even when a tropcal system is 3 days east of the Dominican Republic. 

And heaven help us if a system forms in the Gulf of Mexico.  Then it's a matter of who can come up with the best aliteration "Tropical Trouble in the Gulf- ARE YOU READY?!?!?!?Rolling Eyes 
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:47 pm

Yep. The local TV stations tend to reserve their biggest freak-outs for cold and snow, placing their staff on overpasses in their logo-bedecked parkas commenting on how big a disaster is about to strike.

It happens so regularly that we (slightly more) level-headed folks in the print media have come up with our own Defcon-inspired rating system.

0-2 inches: Snow-a-palooza. (No big hassles. Kinda fun.)
3-8 inches: Snowmageddon. (Major hassles. Pain in the butt.)
8+ inches: Snowpacolypse. (Cannibalism authorized.)

Or something like that. Wink
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:57 pm

Mark B wrote:Yep. The local TV stations tend to reserve their biggest freak-outs for cold and snow, placing their staff on overpasses in their logo-bedecked parkas commenting on how big a disaster is about to strike.

It happens so regularly that we (slightly more) level-headed folks in the print media have come up with our own Defcon-inspired rating system.

That's funny.  Seems odd to hype it that much, since y'all actually GET snow a whole lot more than we do, here.

Our rating would be
1/4" ice on the far north side - shut down all the overpasses, bridges, and schools across the county.  News cameras are allowed on the overpasses to film the people, that didn't get the word, spinning out.  Home invasions are hereby legal only on homes with fireplaces, if you bring your own firewood.
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:03 pm

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:Yep. The local TV stations tend to reserve their biggest freak-outs for cold and snow, placing their staff on overpasses in their logo-bedecked parkas commenting on how big a disaster is about to strike.

That's funny.  Seems odd to hype it that much, since y'all actually GET snow a whole lot more than we do, here.

Our rating would be
1/4" ice on the far north side - shut down all the overpasses, bridges, and schools across the county.  News cameras are allowed on the overpasses to film the people, that didn't get the word, spinning out.  Home invasions are hereby legal only on homes with fireplaces, if you bring your own firewood.
We actually don't get snow here all that often. We'll usually get two to three dustings (snow-a-palooza) in two years, with it melting off by the afternoon. We get a snowmageddon incident maybe once every four to five years, and one true snowpacolypse every generation. We got 18 inches back in 2007, and the last time it snowed that much was about 1969.

Around here, our climate is usually dominated by the Pacific Ocean. Chilly, to be sure, in the winter -- but above freezing. Our coldest weather comes off the continent, but that means it's usually dry. So when it's cold enough to snow, it's usually dry. Low-elevation snow is a fluke, and very hard to predict.

That doesn't stop the panic, of course.
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:15 pm

Walk: 2.2 miles

Weather: Clear, cold and windy. 38 degrees, windchill to 30.

A lunchtime walk at work, trying to keep moving and get as many miles in my testers as possible. 

Pretty day, but cold and windy. It wasn't too bad.
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:18 pm

Low HR Run: 6.3 miles

Weather: Sunny and cold. 20 degrees, a slight breeze. Gear: Testers, tights, wind pants, singlet, long-sleeved T, pullover, jacket, medium-weight gloves, wool hat. (about right). Fuel: After breakfast.

One of my coldest runs ever, though I *just* missed the teens by about 10 minutes as the sun began to slowly bring the temperature up from our record low of 17. Oh well. I dressed in lots of layers, which worked pretty well. I was mostly comfortable, if a little weighed down.

The run itself was fine. I had a rough time keeping my HR down, so I had to walk a few times to get it to behave. My pace fell off fairly steadily throughout the run, which wasn't a surprise. I probably should have brought water, because I got thirsty after the halfway point.

Walked first and last 5 minutes. Average HR for entire run: 135
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:09 pm

Jeez.  And you've given me an idea for a topic thread.
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:37 pm

ounce wrote:Jeez.  And you've given me an idea for a topic thread.
I went back and checked my logs. As far as I can see, this was my coldest run ever. But the sun was out and it wasn't windy, so that helped a lot.

My lips did feel a little chapped by the end of it, though.

Even so, I'd prefer 20 degrees and dry to 38 degrees, raining and windy.
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:12 pm

Haven't had much of a chance to post since this cold weather swept in.

They'd forecast a slight chance of snow Thursday night or Friday morning, and it didn't start snowing ... until just when the morning commute began. It took Alita two hours to get to work. It's usually 20-30 minutes.

By the time all was said and done, we had a little more than 1.5 inches on the ground at our house. We seemed to get the most of the area.

Work was nuts. Even though it was a snow-a-palooza type of event, its timing and subsequent cold blast made it a bit more trouble than you'd expect. Bunches of accidents, schools open-or-closed-or-delayed-or-not confusion, etc. We got it done, though.

The snow was followed by a significant drop in temperatures. Some forecasters expected a low of 18. Others said 8.

We got (at least at my house) 13.

Pretty, if pretty darn cold.

So, of course, I had to head out barefoot, even if it was 100 yards or so up and down the street.

Not sure why that photo was so artfully out of focus, but you get the idea. I wasn't about to stand there and take another. Smile

The run was surprisingly comfortable. I've been in these temps before skiing (it was about 14 when I went out), and the snow was nice and cushy underfoot. A neighbor saw me and declared me crazy. No surprise there.

My feet actually didn't get cold until I stopped and took this photo as I headed up the driveway.

It took about 20 minutes for my toes to thaw out once I got back inside. Smile

They say it may get down to single digits tonight (on the thermometer, not my feet), so it'll be interesting to see if my training partner and I decide to head out for an early morning run.
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:48 pm

Cold Run: 4.16 miles

Weather: Cold! Mostly cloudy. 12 degrees, "warming" to 14. Very slight breeze. Gear: Lots (list below), testers. Fuel: Grape Nuts and coffee.

They were saying it could get down to 5 degrees this morning, so of course I *had* to plan a run to see what it felt like to run in single digits. I gathered up a bushel of clothes and gear last night so I could dial it in this morning.

I woke up at 5 and saw the temperature was 9 degrees above zero. Promising! The temperature usually bottoms out right about 8 on mornings like this. I got up at 7... and it was 12. Whaa? I looked out the window and saw why: a cloud deck had moved in. Drat!

Still, the clouds made for a pretty sunrise.

Anyway, I geared up with shorts, tights, pants and wind pants on the bottom; a Capilene T shirt, a long-sleeved tech T and a SportHill pullover on top. I grabbed a hooded GoreTex anorak that I used when I skied a lot 30 years ago, and dug out a buff/neck gaiter and a wool cap. I grabbed ski gloves but switched to medium weight gloves nearly instantly.

When I got outside, the cloud deck made it look colder.

Though I guess that 12 degrees seems not cold only when compared to the conditions a high school friend of mine ran in Eugene this morning: 9 degrees BELOW zero. (They didn't get the clouds, apparently.)

The gear was just about right for my relatively balmy cold conditions. I was on the edge of being chilled, especially with a light wind kicked up, but I never got uncomfortable. The buff was great at keeping my face comfortable, though I kept fogging up my glasses.

I was a little worried the condensation would freeze, but I got it cleared off fast enough to avoid that.

The run itself was fine. I ran slow, which I expected, and I let my HR go far higher than usual. I did stop and walk a few times when it got too high - though I knew I had to get going again as soon as the HR dropped, or else I'd lose heat.

All told, I did 12 laps around the block (one for every degree above zero) and decided that was enough -- I was starting to get a little more chilled. When I got inside, my hair was soaked and I had a layer of condensation on the inside of the GoreTex shell. My clothes underneath were only damp. That might have posed a problem on a longer run (I'd need something that breathed better, I think), but for four miles, it was fine.

I didn't do a walking warm-up or cool down. Average HR was 139

Last edited by Mark B on Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:46 pm

Brrrrr. I gave up running in weather that cold a while back. Good treadmill weather! I've not found a solution for the fogging glasses, either, other than just taking them off. I can see well enough without them to run, though it's not optimal. Nice pix.
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:52 pm

Michael Enright wrote:Brrrrr. I gave up running in weather that cold a while back. Good treadmill weather! I've not found a solution for the fogging glasses, either, other than just taking them off. I can see well enough without them to run, though it's not optimal. Nice pix.
Hey, Michael! If I had to spend all winter running in conditions like we're experiencing this week, I'd probably do a good number of my runs on the treadmill. Even if only for not having to take the time to figure out how to gear up.

I'm heading out mostly for the novelty of it. Extreme running. Rawr!

Well, that and these testers I've got aren't going to run themselves...

I could wear my contacts, though if it got too cold I'd worry that they'd freeze up. Does that happen? Ew! And thanks on the photos. Glad I took them when I did, because the cold sucked the juice out of my iPhone's battery in nothing flat. Need to stow it in a warmer place, it seems.
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:12 pm

Mark B wrote:
Michael Enright wrote:Brrrrr. I gave up running in weather that cold a while back. Good treadmill weather! I've not found a solution for the fogging glasses, either, other than just taking them off. I can see well enough without them to run, though it's not optimal. Nice pix.
Hey, Michael! If I had to spend all winter running in conditions like we're experiencing this week, I'd probably do a good number of my runs on the treadmill. Even if only for not having to take the time to figure out how to gear up.

I could wear my contacts, though if it got too cold I'd worry that they'd freeze up. Does that happen? Ew! And thanks on the photos. Glad I took them when I did, because the cold sucked the juice out of my iPhone's battery in nothing flat. Need to stow it in a warmer place, it seems.
I haven't worn contacts in close to 30 years, so I'm not sure, though I've never heard of them freezing like that. Interesting experience with the iPhone battery. I guess I haven't left mine in really cold conditions for long, so I'm not sure what's going on with your battery. I'd be surprised that it wouldn't function pretty much normally at that temp.
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:10 pm

Michael Enright wrote:
Mark B wrote:

I haven't worn contacts in close to 30 years, so I'm not sure, though I've never heard of them freezing like that. Interesting experience with the iPhone battery. I guess I haven't left mine in really cold conditions for long, so I'm not sure what's going on with your battery. I'd be surprised that it wouldn't function pretty much normally at that temp.
Well, it was down to about 20% when I went out. That last bit seems to drain faster.
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:08 pm

It's those Samsung nanobots that drain the battery in the cold.
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: