365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WSJ writer takes running's "preening" culture of self-congratulation

+11
Dave-O
Penelope
Admin
John Kilpatrick
Julie
Jerry
Michele "1L" Keane
Michael Enright
Nick Morris
mul21
Mark B
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

WSJ writer takes running's "preening" culture of self-congratulation Empty WSJ writer takes running's "preening" culture of self-congratulation

Post  Mark B Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:28 pm

Charmingly headlined, Don't you think?

OK, You're a Runner. Get Over It: Running a marathon is hard enough without also patting yourself on the back every step of the way.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304448204579186401818882202

Discuss.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

WSJ writer takes running's "preening" culture of self-congratulation Empty Re: WSJ writer takes running's "preening" culture of self-congratulation

Post  mul21 Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:48 pm

Well, considering that the guy who wrote the article is located less than an hour from me, it explains a lot (also, the high school is the Freeburg Midgets, so take that for what it's worth!).  The running culture in general in southern IL is pretty poor outside of a few exceptions (Craig Virgin, for one) and the town he's from is one of those.  They tend to have good XC programs and qualify for the state meet on a regular basis.

This guy is clearly an uninformed idiot though.  If he did any research at all, he'd know that the running store doesn't sell anything close to the same shoes you can get at a sporting goods store.  I pretty much stopped reading at that point, because regardless of his opinion, he's bad at his job.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

WSJ writer takes running's "preening" culture of self-congratulation Empty Re: WSJ writer takes running's "preening" culture of self-congratulation

Post  Nick Morris Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:23 pm

This is obviously an article written by a non-runner.  I almost find it laughable with some of his comments.  Honestly, if his point runs true.  Then baseball players (or any other sport) should stop wearing shirts with teams or logos on them.  It's just ridiculous...This guy needs to stop complaining and get his ass off the couch...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:48 pm

It struck me as somebody mostly interested in generating clicks (the classic "click whore") and stirring the pot than stimulating a serious discussion.

Kind of like a writing version of Miley Cyrus. tongue
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:56 pm

I just put that down when I decided to check in here for something more meaningful!

Of course, he's unaware of the countless people running alone on treadmills, in the dark on a track, on a trail in the woods, etc., so couldn't factor that into his "wants to be seen" scenario.

Typical poorly thought out "semi tongue in cheek" piece for the op-ed page.

Not worth getting excited about.

I do have to say that I saw one of those "0.0" stickers the other day and got a laugh out of it.
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:21 pm

I would love to buy a 0.0 sticker for my hubby's car since he is a total non-runner (although very supportive of my habit- just can't get him to come to places like South Dakota or Kansas).  I bought him a "Running Sucks" shirt once and he loved it. 

However, this article is by the uninformed.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:48 pm

If this is a blog entry, I see it funny(not much.)

On WSJ by a "writer"? Pathetic.

On my car, I have stickers for Boston 2009(left somewhere for years until recently), Manchester United, and my DD's soccer club, just for fun, and express myself.

If you are not a runner, don't second guess why I do it.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:19 pm

Jerry wrote:
If you are not a runner, don't second guess why I do it.
yep.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:39 am

It really made no sense to me - if meant to be satirical, it failed.  If it attempted to make some valid point it failed.  I'm not surprised that some non-runner thinks this way (people are always annoyed at people doing something they don't understand, especially if they get some perceived attention they think they should be getting) - if I'm surprised by anything it is that the WSJ wasted ink space with this dribble.

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:50 am

John Kilpatrick wrote:if I'm surprised by anything it is that the WSJ wasted ink space with this dribble.
+1
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:03 am

As mentioned earlier, the piece was meant simply to generate clicks, which it has done... exceedingly well. This article has been linked all over the interwebs with outraged runners bantering on about it...

Taken in that context, the writer is brilliant. He doesn't care what you think of the piece, only that people post it, forward it, click on it, and discuss.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:19 am

Mr MattM wrote:As mentioned earlier, the piece was meant simply to generate clicks, which it has done... exceedingly well.  This article has been linked all over the interwebs with outraged runners bantering on about it...

Taken in that context, the writer is brilliant.  He doesn't care what you think of the piece, only that people post it, forward it, click on it, and discuss.
Exactly--it's just attention-seeking garbage.
Penelope
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:56 am

I do somewhat agree with him that runners tend to talk excessively about workouts, races, etc.  One of the things that turned me on to Hal's boards was that it provided an outlet to discuss running with other runners, so that I don't bore my non-running friends too much.  I think a lot of runners on facebook post way too much about their daily runs. 

But that point was swallowed by his overall point that runners run merely to seek attention. That's asinine.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:25 pm

Dave-O wrote:I do somewhat agree with him that runners tend to talk excessively about workouts, races, etc.  One of the things that turned me on to Hal's boards was that it provided an outlet to discuss running with other runners, so that I don't bore my non-running friends too much.  I think a lot of runners on facebook post way too much about their daily runs. 

But that point was swallowed by his overall point that runners run merely to seek attention. That's asinine.
But isn't that true to other fans?

Let's pick mid age football fans. 

Look, you don't even play the game any more, yet watch all the games, talk all the time with colleagues, then with dads while watching your DD's soccer game, AND have to join a fantasy league, the most pathetic thing ever.

I mean, at mid age, if I ever fantasize anything, it has to relate to extramarital affair, drug, and as a godfather of an organized crime group.lol!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:41 pm

the article doesn't bother me a bit.  kinda satirical in its own way.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:36 pm

And a fun rebuttal: http://chasing42.wordpress.com/2013/11/14/its-not-about-the-sticker-but-if-it-was-so-what/

And Dave-O, I so agree.  I try not to post about "running exploits" unless I ran a race, and I know that I have "followers" awaiting my results (like my Atlanta and Cleveland running groups).  My Cleveland running group recently had a clam bake and we warned our non-running spouses in the email invite that we would certainly end up talking about running.  Many of them attended the party and laughed about that statement, but they also agreed that we would discuss running.  And well, of course we did, we were brought together by that common thread.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:44 pm

Dave-O wrote:I do somewhat agree with him that runners tend to talk excessively about workouts, races, etc.  One of the things that turned me on to Hal's boards was that it provided an outlet to discuss running with other runners, so that I don't bore my non-running friends too much.  I think a lot of runners on facebook post way too much about their daily runs. 

I agree. Even my running friends on FB who have to say every morning that they ran and how far, well, it's a bit annoying even though I run. Well, most of the time, I just don't need to hear about it every day. And when I run I don't just want to talk about running either. For me running is something that makes the rest of my life so much better and I love it and I can talk about it but there's more to life.

Running saved my life, more or less, and got me out of depression. That's why I run. I don't care of one person cares that I run or not, it makes me a better person to be around and I really am thankful I have it.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:04 pm

FB posts don't bother me.  I am happy that my friends are active and have the motivation to run.  All of the things that the author states are just ways for people to express themselves.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:06 pm

Also, I am planning on getting a running related tattoo.  Does that make me egocentric or craving attention?  No, it is an expression of me and what I enjoy.  Just like any other tattoo that someone may get.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:21 pm

Nick Morris wrote:
John Kilpatrick wrote:if I'm surprised by anything it is that the WSJ wasted ink space with this dribble.
+1
Double +1. The WSJ is my main source of quality information, financial or not, so I was surprised to see something lame like this. As others mentioned, it failed at whatever purpose it had.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:22 pm

Jerry wrote:
I mean, at mid age, if I ever fantasize anything, it has to relate to extramarital affair, drug, and as a godfather of an organized crime group.lol!
Funny!
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:33 pm

Though I love Jerry's thoughts most of all (who wouldn't?), somebody at Runner's World had some fun with the column:

http://www.runnersworld.com/fun/the-wsjs-get-over-it-column-translated?cm_mmc=Facebook-_-RunnersWorld-_-Content-Blog-_-WSJRemyResponse
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:37 pm

Another good response:

http://running.competitor.com/2013/11/staff-blog/fraioli-were-runners-and-proud-of-it_89319
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  amyjoann Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:28 pm

wow someone has a little anger problem He's probably the ones who secretly try to run us down....................nananan you can't catch me and yes I am judging you from my run Shocked
amyjoann
amyjoann
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:04 pm

Mark B wrote:Though I love Jerry's thoughts most of all (who wouldn't?), somebody at Runner's World had some fun with the column:

http://www.runnersworld.com/fun/the-wsjs-get-over-it-column-translated?cm_mmc=Facebook-_-RunnersWorld-_-Content-Blog-_-WSJRemyResponse
Dave-O wrote:Another good response:

http://running.competitor.com/2013/11/staff-blog/fraioli-were-runners-and-proud-of-it_89319
Both of these are pretty funny and much better than the actual dribble of the original article.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next