365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Desire Nothing

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Desire Nothing

Post  Mike MacLellan on Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:45 am

Running is weird indeed.  

10mi yesterday, most of which were with Aileen.  I kind of bonked (ate breakfast and didn't start running for ~4hrs) and got cranky at what I saw as a lack of mental commitment to the run on her part.  We smoothed things over afterwards, but I've been pulled from pacing duties for the 2nd half of her marathon.  I feel bad, but I agree with her it's probably for the better.  We're different runners.

My left groin/inner thigh was a little sore after the run yesterday, but so far nothing today.  Going out for 3-4mi in a bit here to start the week.  It's cold and I'm slightly hungover (we started cooking at 4:30 yesterday, so the wine started at 4:30 yesterday... all in all, it was worth it to just let a Sunday afternoon slip by).
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:27 pm

It's been a rough week.  Tuesday went semi-decently until...  4mi in or so.  

I took Wed/Thurs off.  Hurts my whole left quad to stand on just my left leg.  Or, it did.  Not so much now.  Meh.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:14 pm

I still understand nothing about running.

Saturday was a pretty decent 3.75mi with Aileen.  All in all, a middle of the line, very slow run.

Sunday was 6.5mi that started pretty middle of the line and ended with comfort at sub-8 paces.  What?  I don't get it.  

Spent Sunday afternoon running around a golf course playing foot golf, which surprisingly didn't hurt anything, until I decided to race Aileen for a ball and felt like I tore my right glute that's been hurting.  Then 5min later, the pain/discomfort was COMPLETELY GONE.  

Seriously, I don't understand.  

I'm a little sore today.  But normal sore.  Weird.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:35 pm

Ok, I really know nothing, but I'm guessing you have some imbalances in the glutes/hip/hamstring area that really need to be dealt with.  I don't think this means a doctor unless you have a chiro that you know who knows runners, but maybejust some foam rolling and strengthening.  I often find that my adductors bother me because my lower back is tight, or my quad hurts because my glutes are tight.  Just maintenance rolling and a little bit of stretching might help.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:22 pm

Been trying to focus on them ever since this started.  Still day to day.  I'm throwing marathon plans out the window for now.  Especially after today's 2.75mi sufferfest.  Seriously?
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:46 pm

Sounds like you're still pushing yourself too hard, Mike. I'd humbly suggest that you commit to running NOTHING but recovery runs for two weeks and see if it helps. Let your body tell you what it can do, rather than try to achieve what you want it to do.
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  wendy_miller on Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:30 pm

1. Strengthen your hips and glutes. We have a pdf file that has a list of exercises (I think Whitney supplied it to Tim), and I do them three times a week...helps so much. 2. Run slower than you ever thought possible. 10 minute miles. If you wake up, and the thought of a run sounds horrible...do not run.
wendy_miller

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:19 pm

Mark - That's what I did.  For 3 weeks.  

Wendy - Sounds like the conclusion I came to yesterday.  I'm done pushing it.  

---

I've realized that I don't have much of a running base.  At all.  I haven't run much at all this year, and I probably came into 50mi weeks a bit too fast.  So, okay, body, I get it.  Time to go back to basics.  Which, for now, means not much running, unless I want to.  Just goin' by feel.

I rode a very leisurely 50min today.  My chain, while no longer bent, still likes to drop, and did twice during the ride.  Got a buddy in the business who's checking out what kind of deals he can get me on new wheels.  Gonna miss my 13 year old, steel frame.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P on Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:11 pm

Some really good thoughts in this blog. I hope my experience will encourage you. I have had many, many injuries & set-backs. Then, after 8 marathon tries over 4 years, I'm finally getting PR's again. Patience & perseverance!
Dave P
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:56 pm

30min on the trainer yesterday while waiting for my new computer to arrive.  It got here.  Woo hoo!

30min spin around Antioch/Brentwood/Oakley today.  Surprisingly awake and feeling good after so much beer/pizza/donuts yesterday.  It was Aileen's birthday; therefore, a requirement.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:17 pm

Lotta food, lotta booze, lotta babysitting.  That describes my weekend with Aileen's family.  Her 11yo nephew and 8yo niece have not only taken a liking to me (that was a while ago), they've taken a loving to me.  I did more running this weekend than I did all week.  And all that lateral movement... wow, my legs are NOT used to this.  

Nor is my stomach.  Like, my abs were sore from eating so much.  What?

At any rate, between a huge dinner in which Aileen gave very, very heartfelt thanks to me (as did her sister; I was stuck in a tear sandwich), a spring-like day in Napa with wine/cheese/cured meats, and a day in Walnut Creek walking around the same set of shops 100x, I'm pooped.

---

Did a 45min ride on Saturday morning, nice and easy just to straighten out the legs.  

Today was 8mi run with Aileen.  The first mile was absolute hell.  The second was shitty.  The third sucked.  After that, I didn't complain or grimace, but still, it wasn't what I'd call enjoyable.  She's race ready and just got 1 more week of taper before her debut marathon.  Exciting!
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:40 pm

Still alive and kickin'.  

30min on the trainer Monday, 1hr Wed, 1hr Thurs (all bike), and 1.5mi run today to shake out the legs with Aileen before her first marathon tomorrow!

Weird being on the other end of the equation.  I think I'm more stressed than I usually am when I'm the one racing.  Drop-offs, road closures, spectator points...  Ugh, this stuff is hard.  Oh, and it's gonna be 25 degrees at the start, 35 at the finish, and I'm banditing the second half to run with her.  

Hope the poor girl doesn't freeze.  Brr.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey on Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:30 pm

Hey Mike long time to chat! I hope Aileen doesn't freeze either! Just wanted to drop in and say hello and looking to forward to spending more time around this blog. Oh, once I get things started up again I'll will be back on Strava. i'm hoping that my 620 is will now work on their site.
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:10 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:Still alive and kickin'.  

30min on the trainer Monday, 1hr Wed, 1hr Thurs (all bike), and 1.5mi run today to shake out the legs with Aileen before her first marathon tomorrow!

Weird being on the other end of the equation.  I think I'm more stressed than I usually am when I'm the one racing.  Drop-offs, road closures, spectator points...  Ugh, this stuff is hard.  Oh, and it's gonna be 25 degrees at the start, 35 at the finish, and I'm banditing the second half to run with her.  

Hope the poor girl doesn't freeze.  Brr.
Good luck to her and to you executing your support.
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:07 pm

Good luck to Aileen tomorrow! Hope she does great.
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:33 pm

4:03:37!  She faded at mile 20 (went from clipping off 9min miles to 10min) but held on like a warrior and finished strong.  Proud of her.  Is it nap time yet?

---

Oh, and I ran 13mi and they didn't hurt!
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:58 pm

Congrats to Aileen! Sorry that I forgot today was the day but I had to deal with a race here in Tucson. Great job!
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:12 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:4:03:37!  She faded at mile 20 (went from clipping off 9min miles to 10min) but held on like a warrior and finished strong.  Proud of her.  Is it nap time yet?

---

Oh, and I ran 13mi and they didn't hurt!
Great for her!

Now, do you think you could run that pace on the streets for a few weeks?  It might be slow for you, but it doesn't cause pain.
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:15 pm

I was tracking her online. She did a great job on her first marathon! That fade seems to happen a lot. Go figure.
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:34 am

She did a great job, indeed.  I knew it wasn't going to be "her day" as I met up with her halfway and she was already having GI problems.  She couldn't get anything down other than water after mile 16...  So, considering that, a really good result! 

And man, being in that kind of event really inspired me.  Made me reconsider "giving up" so easily.  Now, I know that I pushed it a bit too far, but I think my body is in some kind of state now that it can handle another try.  An easy try.  

I'm gonna see how the next couple weeks go and possibly change my marathon entry into a half marathon entry for Modesto.  Because at this rate, I'm not running a full no matter what.  But 13.1?  I think I could handle that right now.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:53 am

The body is a forgiving thing, but it's hell when you piss it off.
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P on Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:00 pm

So true Ounce!

HUGE congrats to Aileen!!
Dave P
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:24 pm

Yup, it wasn't happy with her carb load and accidental Powerade consumption early in the race. Unfortunately, being deaf caused her to not hear the volunteers announcing that first is powerade, then water. She also apparently slipped and fell on some black ice at an early aid station, though I don't think that affected her stomach.

She's in good spirits today, reliving her race and enjoying a day off work.

---

Ran 3 recovery miles in 25 degrees this morning. Altogether pleasant. Sore quads, a little hot spot on top of my foot (felt like lace bite but its annoying even now in work shoes) but like I said, pleasant. Planned day off tomorrow. Shooting for 25 on the week.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki on Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:38 am

Great job with Aileen. First one time goes out the window. Hopefully she enjoyed the overall experience other than obviously the GI issues. 

If I were in your shoes I'd ditch the watch right now and just run.  No plans, no set courses, just head out and go. Go whatever direction you feel like, head down any road you feel like. Then when you want to stop just stop. If it's 10min fine, if its longer fine.  Just run and don't worry about pace, distance, time, nothing.
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey on Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:21 pm

Congrats to Aileen. Man she sure did going through a lot of different things in that race!
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top