365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Time to Pace Others

+26
Michael Enright
Peg Coover
Dave P
KBFitz
Chris M
Mrs. Schuey
Tom H
Mark B
Alex Kubacki
jon c
mul21
JohnP
charles.moman
Neil Ruggiero
Penelope
GregC
fostever
Kenny B.
Michele "1L" Keane
Julie
Nick Morris
healdgator
Seth Harrison
Schuey
John Kilpatrick
Jim Lentz
30 posters

Page 11 of 14 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Go down

Time to Pace Others - Page 11 Empty Re: Time to Pace Others

Post  Jim Lentz Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:20 am

Peggy had a good race and did well at the triathlon, despite poor organization.

I ran 1.5 miles on Sunday after feeling some better from this cold and ran 8 miles at a GA pace yesterday.

I may have to change my marathon PR plans for Chicago. I may be able to be on an official 3:40 pace team, which I have always wanted to do.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:30 am

Your cold really knocked you out. If you feel you need to change it up what better way then to pace people. 3:40 pacer is pretty big responsibility. I'd feel more comfortable with 4:00 or 3:50
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:21 pm

Jim Lentz wrote:Peggy had a good race and did well at the triathlon, despite poor organization.

I ran 1.5 miles on Sunday after feeling some better from this cold and ran 8 miles at a GA pace yesterday.

I may have to change my marathon PR plans for Chicago. I may be able to be on an official 3:40 pace team, which I have always wanted to do.

If you do the pace team, all I can say is Bless You! Seems to me that is really God's work!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:21 pm

Pace leaders can be really awesome! I would love to do that some day. Ha, not 3:40, more like 4:30 or something but either way, I hope you recover completely from your cold and are happy with the decision you make.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:34 am

Sounds like a difficult decision to make, but I don't think you can go wrong with either. 3:40 would be a nice team to pace, since that's a BQ time for a lot of people.

Congrats to Peggy on her triathlon!
Penelope
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:14 pm

Jim that's awesome if you get to pace in Chicago. That's something I'd love to do one day after more experience.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:38 am

Kenny B. wrote:Your cold really knocked you out. If you feel you need to change it up what better way then to pace people. 3:40 pacer is pretty big responsibility. I'd feel more comfortable with 4:00 or 3:50

I have done a little practice at 8:25 pace and it feels good, Kenny.

Michael Enright wrote:
Jim Lentz wrote:Peggy had a good race and did well at the triathlon, despite poor organization.

If you do the pace team, all I can say is Bless You! Seems to me that is really God's work!

I have wanted to be an official pacer for some time. I am stiil trying to coordinate the phone call to make it official.

Julie wrote:Pace leaders can be really awesome! I would love to do that some day. Ha, not 3:40, more like 4:30 or something but either way, I hope you recover completely from your cold and are happy with the decision you make.

Julie, I like the idea of being able to help other people reach their goal.

Penelope wrote:Sounds like a difficult decision to make, but I don't think you can go wrong with either. 3:40 would be a nice team to pace, since that's a BQ time for a lot of people.

Congrats to Peggy on her triathlon!

Kathy, I agree it will be nice to do Chicago whether I am part of the pace team or race for a goal. Thanks, Peggy did well. In the run portion she was in the top half of all runners, male or female and every age.

Alex Kubacki wrote:Jim that's awesome if you get to pace in Chicago. That's something I'd love to do one day after more experience.

I am hoping I get to do it. It would be a disappointing no going for a BQ race, but now it wouldn't help me for 2013 either way.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:40 am

Seth Harrison wrote:
GregC wrote:I know it's hard to do, but take the time now to get healed. A week off in July is much better than a week off in September. Do you have some soft trails you can hit until things start to feel better?

+2 Jim. I hope a little time off now, if that's what if calls for, is all you'll need to keep this to just a niggle.

+3!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:14 pm

3:40 pace team? Cool!
Dave P
Dave P
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:16 pm

By the way, I have been a 4 hr pacer at Chicago twice and it was an extremely rewarding experience - you'll love it.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:05 pm

Jim Lentz wrote:

That would be a worthy reason to change your goals for Chicago Jim. I'm sure it will be a very cool experience.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:34 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:
Seth Harrison wrote:
GregC wrote:I know it's hard to do, but take the time now to get healed. A week off in July is much better than a week off in September. Do you have some soft trails you can hit until things start to feel better?

+2 Jim. I hope a little time off now, if that's what if calls for, is all you'll need to keep this to just a niggle.

+3!

Thankfully that issuse is long gone.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:36 pm

Dave P wrote:3:40 pace team? Cool!

I hope it works out.

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:By the way, I have been a 4 hr pacer at Chicago twice and it was an extremely rewarding experience - you'll love it.

Thanks, I think I will love it.

Seth Harrison wrote:
Jim Lentz wrote:

That would be a worthy reason to change your goals for Chicago Jim. I'm sure it will be a very cool experience.

It is one of a few reasons i would change a marathon time goal.

I forgot to mention I ran 7 miles at what should have been GA pace, but my HR was closer to an easy pace. The cool weather sure is nice for that.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:50 pm

Love this cool weather. I hope it holds for the marathon!

Have you decided for sure on the pace team?
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:21 pm

Julie wrote:Love this cool weather. I hope it holds for the marathon!

Have you decided for sure on the pace team?

Cool, isn't it scratch

I have been assigned to the 3:45 pace team.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:15 am

So what's your strategy for a PR/BQ race then? Will you run one after Chicago? 3:45 shouldn't beat you up too much so you could do one in November pretty easily plus the weather will almost certainly be better.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:48 pm

JohnP wrote:So what's your strategy for a PR/BQ race then? Will you run one after Chicago? 3:45 shouldn't beat you up too much so you could do one in November pretty easily plus the weather will almost certainly be better.

John, I don't think a fall marathon this year would qualify me for Boston 2013. If a fall race will do it I could find one in November, although I have a 50 miler scheduled at the end of October. Either way I am looking forward to doing the pacing.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:54 pm

Today I paced my 9:00/mile group and we had a lot of fun and some of us had a tough day. Some did 20 and 3 of us did another 2 for 22 miles. We started with 6, but one guy in the group was struggling a little with the pace early on even though we had a nice, cool day. We would see him pass us as we stopped for water/Gatorade through most of the stops. He finally told us to not wait for him and only had 1.5 miles to go. We never were really waiting for him so much as taking time to get the fluids in. One woman did decide to add a mile after the others turned off for 20, while 3 of us continued on for the 22. With just over a mile left, 2 of us doing the 22 decided to speed it up a little. I wanted to see if after being tired with 21 miles of running if I could readily hit pace for a 3:45 and I was easily running around 8:15, no problem. I did miss my scheduled 8 last night as I was too tired from a busy week and the tail end of this cold. Last week I missed 2 runs due to the cold, including my long run. Apparently based on the run today it didn't have a big effect.

Last edited by Jim Lentz on Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Time to Pace Others - Page 11 Empty Time to Pace Others

Post  Jim Lentz Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:39 pm

I ran an easy 8 this morning and have been practicing the 8:36 pace for my pacing duties. It is a little tough holding that pace as my legs want to go either faster or slower. I still have almost 3 weeks and that should give my legs a chance to get used to the 8:36 pace. I should change the title of this blog, but since we are so close to marathon day I will just ride it out. Actually I just tried to change the title and it was EASY.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:02 pm

Adding to what others have said, I have helped pace a four hour group twice at the Las Vegas Marathon and it was a fun experience. It will be an enjoyable time for you I would guess.
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:20 pm

Jim Lentz wrote:
JohnP wrote:So what's your strategy for a PR/BQ race then? Will you run one after Chicago? 3:45 shouldn't beat you up too much so you could do one in November pretty easily plus the weather will almost certainly be better.

John, I don't think a fall marathon this year would qualify me for Boston 2013. If a fall race will do it I could find one in November, although I have a 50 miler scheduled at the end of October. Either way I am looking forward to doing the pacing.

??? why wouldn't it? I thought that if you ran anything after mid-September 2011 (meaning right now on) it can be used as a BQ for Boston 2013. So Philly this year (November race) is a BQ race for Boston 2013. Isn't that right? Surely they have not taken away Marine Corps (October), NYC and Philly (November) as BQ races. We know they can't be used for 2012 but I would be stunned to learn that the rules say you can't use a time from those races for a 2013 BQ.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:23 pm

Jim Lentz wrote:

JIM, FWIW, any race starting this weekend is a 2013 qualifying race.

http://www.baa.org/races/boston-marathon/participant-information/qualifying.aspx

"For the 2013 Boston Marathon, qualifying times are more stringent, and must be run on or after September 24, 2011*. "
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:43 pm

jon c wrote:Adding to what others have said, I have helped pace a four hour group twice at the Las Vegas Marathon and it was a fun experience. It will be an enjoyable time for you I would guess.

Jon, I have done it unofficially for people in the past and look forward to doing it officially.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:47 pm

Chris M wrote:
Jim Lentz wrote:

??? why wouldn't it? I thought that if you ran anything after mid-September 2011 (meaning right now on) it can be used as a BQ for Boston 2013. So Philly this year (November race) is a BQ race for Boston 2013. Isn't that right? Surely they have not taken away Marine Corps (October), NYC and Philly (November) as BQ races. We know they can't be used for 2012 but I would be stunned to learn that the rules say you can't use a time from those races for a 2013 BQ.

Doh!! You are absolutely right, Chris. I misunderstood something I read somewhere else.

JohnP wrote:
Jim Lentz wrote:

JIM, FWIW, any race starting this weekend is a 2013 qualifying race.

http://www.baa.org/races/boston-marathon/participant-information/qualifying.aspx

"For the 2013 Boston Marathon, qualifying times are more stringent, and must be run on or after September 24, 2011*. "

Double doh! You are also correct, John.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:26 pm

Today was almost identical to yesterday. I did 8 miles easy, but decided to throw a mile in there at a 7:25 pace to see how it feels. I am working on getting used to a 8:36 pace for my upcoming pacing duties. If you are planning a 3:45 why not come run with my group?
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 14 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next