365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Time to Pace Others

Page 2 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Time to Pace Others

Post  Neil Ruggiero on Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:55 am

Sorry to hear about the quad Jim. Keep resting up and taking care of it!
Neil Ruggiero
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. on Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:18 am

Jim,

funny my pain was sort of where you describe. I iced after each run and 2x more each day for a few days. I also stopped wearing my older orthodics that need refurbishing. It did go away. Not sure what caused it but I think with a few days rest you will find yourself back on the roads/trails.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz on Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:14 pm

@Julie wrote:I hope you get your pain resolved! I hope the colonoscopy goes well, too. My mom got so sick with all the stuff she had to drink but she has low blood sugar. I imagine that is not compatible with running!

Julie, I used one of those microwaveable/freezable wraps that I heated up a wore on my leg driving to the forest preserve and it helped this morning. I ran 7 miles and the first one was tough to get under a 9 minute mile, but by the last mile sub-8 felt decent. I am at that age where they recommend a colonoscopy and it shouldn't be too bad. The hardest part is having to give myself injections after stopping the Coumadin. I am trying a newer prep to drink and hopefully it will be easier to tolerate. Low blood sugar doesn't go well with running.

@Seth Harrison wrote:
@GregC wrote:I know it's hard to do, but take the time now to get healed. A week off in July is much better than a week off in September. Do you have some soft trails you can hit until things start to feel better?

Greg, you are the second person to mention soft trails. I can run some of my mileage on the crushed limestone along the North Branch Trail. I took 5 days off and it helped the soleus on the other side, but the quad is still a little problematic.

+2 Jim. I hope a little time off now, if that's what if calls for, is all you'll need to keep this to just a niggle.

I see my Dr. again soon and if it doesn't continue to improve will ask him to refer me to a sports medicine Dr. I don't want to miss Chicago this year.

@Neil Ruggiero wrote:Sorry to hear about the quad Jim. Keep resting up and taking care of it!

Thanks Neil, I will see what I can do.

@Kenny B. wrote:Jim,

funny my pain was sort of where you describe. I iced after each run and 2x more each day for a few days. I also stopped wearing my older orthodics that need refurbishing. It did go away. Not sure what caused it but I think with a few days rest you will find yourself back on the roads/trails.

Kenny, I used ice for a while, but wasn't seeing improvement. The Dr, suggested heat and it seems to be helping. I have heat on the area right now.
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz on Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:46 pm

I ran 14 miles today as the 9:00 pace group leader. Even with it being a bit hot it felt pretty comfortable. I microwaved the gel heating pad and wore it on my quad on the way to running and it helps.

The hardest part right now about the upcoming colonoscopy is bridging the anticoagulant with Lovenox shots twice a day to my stomach. They feel OK at the time, but then sting for 15-30 minutes.
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman on Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:28 pm

I had my 2nd colonoscopy a few months ago (the doc is one of my best friends - he REALLY knows me) Exclamation
This time I used these big honking pills instead of all of the drink mix - I still had to drink a bunch though.
I found it to be much easier for me to do it that way.
He again found a couple of polyps and these were precancerous - just a reminder of how important this procedure can be.
I will go back in a year or two because of the kind he found.
A very treatable cancer, normally, if caught early.

If you are reading this and have never had one because of fear or whatever - get over it and DO IT for you and your loved ones!
Please.
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

View user profile http://www.charlesmoman.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. on Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:45 pm

@charles.moman wrote:I had my 2nd colonoscopy a few months ago (the doc is one of my best friends - he REALLY knows me) Exclamation
This time I used these big honking pills instead of all of the drink mix - I still had to drink a bunch though.
He again found a couple of polyps and these were precancerous - just a reminder of how important this procedure can be.

If you are reading this and have never had one because of fear or whatever - get over it and DO IT for you and your loved ones!
Please.

I go for my first next year when I turn 40. It's early but dad had issues waiting until his 60's.

Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP on Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:39 pm

Jim, if you ran 14 feeling comfortable, hopefully you are past any injury you might have had.
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie on Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:19 pm

Sounds like a great 14 miler! I hope all goes well with the colonoscopy drinking stuff. I'm glad you're doing it. I worried about my dad for years because his dad died with colon cancer (and lymphoma both non hodgkins and hodgkins) in his early 60s and his brother died at age 50 of colon cancer. Anyway, he finally went and was OK in that department but I wish he wouldn't have delayed so long. So...good for you for taking care of yourself!
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz on Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:13 pm

@charles.moman wrote:I had my 2nd colonoscopy a few months ago (the doc is one of my best friends - he REALLY knows me) Exclamation

Please.

I am using a new mix that is supposed to work better. Peggy talked me into it, and I agree it's a good idea, after our 30 year old neighbor was diagnosed with colon cancer and given 2 months to live.

@Kenny B. wrote:I go for my first next year when I turn 40. It's early but dad had issues waiting until his 60's.

Peggy had to have one in her 40s because her sister had something that could have been heriditary.

@JohnP wrote:Jim, if you ran 14 feeling comfortable, hopefully you are past any injury you might have had.

The 14 felt pretty good and I was checking my quad and I do feel some scar tissue that I may want to have worked on. I will continue to use the stick and foam roller on it.

@Julie wrote:Sounds like a great 14 miler! I hope all goes well with the colonoscopy drinking stuff. I'm glad you're doing it. I worried about my dad for years because his dad died with colon cancer (and lymphoma both non hodgkins and hodgkins) in his early 60s and his brother died at age 50 of colon cancer. Anyway, he finally went and was OK in that department but I wish he wouldn't have delayed so long. So...good for you for taking care of yourself!

It was a nice 14 miler and felt pretty decent. Normally 14 miles isn't that long for me, but given the quad issue it's a good sign. I don't have to drink as much with this new formulation. My step-dad waited until he was 80 to have it done for the first time because he was afraid they might find something. They didn't find anything.
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. on Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:15 am

Great 14 mile run! seems like you have good watch on the quad!
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 on Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:28 am

Good to see the 14 miler went well. I was having a minor quad issue and I was massaging this stuff call Bio Freeze into it a couple times a day and that seemed to help. Kind of like an icy hot type deal. You might give that a shot to see if it provides any relief.
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz on Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:33 pm

@Kenny B. wrote:Great 14 mile run! seems like you have good watch on the quad!

Thanks Kenny, I am glad the quad is improving.

@mul21 wrote:Good to see the 14 miler went well. I was having a minor quad issue and I was massaging this stuff call Bio Freeze into it a couple times a day and that seemed to help. Kind of like an icy hot type deal. You might give that a shot to see if it provides any relief.

Thanks Jim, the quad warmed up quickly an never caused major issues yesterday. Does Biofreeze have any aspirin in it?

Our condo neighbor passed away in the hospital last night from colon cancer.
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 on Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:33 pm

Sorry to hear about your neighbor. I guess I won't put off the ols PSA when I turn 40 like I thought I might. Scary stuff!

As for the Bio Freeze, its a menthol based rub. Don't know if that would cause any issues with the Coumadin, but there's definitely no aspirin in it. I get mine from my chiropractor. It can be tough to find.
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie on Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:11 pm

biofreeze is great, I have gotten samples at marathons quite a few times. Just a gel you put on your painful areas. I haven't ever purchased it before so I'm not sure where you can buy it, maybe a running store or something?
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c on Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:34 pm

Hope the leg issue resolves soon. Seems like we're always fighting something or other with our running. Agree that Biofreeze is a good product.

I have helped pace a couple races. But being a pace leader for training is another animal. Did I understand that correctly?
jon c
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz on Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:20 pm

@mul21 wrote:Sorry to hear about your neighbor. I guess I won't put off the ols PSA when I turn 40 like I thought I might. Scary stuff!

As for the Bio Freeze, its a menthol based rub. Don't know if that would cause any issues with the Coumadin, but there's definitely no aspirin in it. I get mine from my chiropractor. It can be tough to find.

Thanks Jim.

I will have to look for the Biofreeze. I know I have gotten it in goodie bags in the past, but never actually tried it. I will check the ingredients to see if there might be interactions with Coumadin.

@Julie wrote:biofreeze is great, I have gotten samples at marathons quite a few times. Just a gel you put on your painful areas. I haven't ever purchased it before so I'm not sure where you can buy it, maybe a running store or something?

I bet one of the local running stores would have it, Julie. Thanks.

@jon c wrote:Hope the leg issue resolves soon. Seems like we're always fighting something or other with our running. Agree that Biofreeze is a good product.

I have helped pace a couple races. But being a pace leader for training is another animal. Did I understand that correctly?

Jon, the quad is feeling pretty good this morning and I probably won't run today as I just got back from the colonoscopy.

I am a pace team leader for the 9:00 pace group for the Clocktower Runners. I really enjoy setting the pace for the group and trying to make it a little fun for people.

I had the colonoscopy today and the Dr. said it all looks good. I do have internal hemrhoids(sp?), but that isn't any big deal. There were no polyps to be removed so I am already back on the Coumadin and bridging with the Lovenox.
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. on Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:02 pm

Glad the colon is looking clean did not need the visual on the hemorrhoid. Grapes anyone?
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki on Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:34 pm

Jim nice to see the good news from the Doc. Hopefully you can fully gear up again.
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz on Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:40 pm

@Kenny B. wrote:Glad the colon is looking clean did not need the visual on the hemorrhoid. Grapes anyone?
Thanks Kenny, I still have to figure out the problem I have lately in longer races.

@Alex Kubacki wrote:Jim nice to see the good news from the Doc. Hopefully you can fully gear up again.
Alex, I will be back to running tomorrow and might have started today except for the heat and humidity.
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:13 pm

Glad the colonoscopy didn't turn up anything, Jim. I had one a couple of months ago myself, and I'm glad I did. I was clean, too, but it's nice to know.

The spot you're talking about on your leg almost sounds like the tensor fascia late muscle. Hip flexor stretches can help ease that up, as can some glute work to balance things out a bit. Sometimes the front hurts when it's asked to do too much work. One possibility, anyway.
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz on Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:21 pm

@Mark B wrote:Glad the colonoscopy didn't turn up anything, Jim. I had one a couple of months ago myself, and I'm glad I did. I was clean, too, but it's nice to know.

The spot you're talking about on your leg almost sounds like the tensor fascia late muscle. Hip flexor stretches can help ease that up, as can some glute work to balance things out a bit. Sometimes the front hurts when it's asked to do too much work. One possibility, anyway.

Thanks Mark, Peggy and I are both glad I did it.

I'll give those ideas a try, thanks.
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz on Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:28 am

I ran 8 today with 1 @ MP just to remind my legs what that feels like. It was a pretty good run, but because it was low 80s and sunny my HR was high given my pace.
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 on Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:31 am

@Jim Lentz wrote:I ran 8 today with 1 @ MP just to remind my legs what that feels like. It was a pretty good run, but because it was low 80s and sunny my HR was high given my pace.

Good deal! How's the leg feeling?

If you're still looking for Bio Freeze, here's the website and you can search for locations near you that sell it:

http://www.biofreeze.com/whereToBuy.aspx
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie on Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:34 am

Great to do a mile at MP. Hopefully you get a nice cool morning for marathon day.

Glad the results were good from your doctor.
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H on Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:49 am

@Jim Lentz wrote:I ran 8 today with 1 @ MP just to remind my legs what that feels like. It was a pretty good run, but because it was low 80s and sunny my HR was high given my pace.

I'll bet that MP mile was extra challenging/rewarding in that weather. Hope that leg is on the mend. Echoing Mark's comment, the TFL is right in that area and I've had similar issues and went to PT where the primary work turned out to to be rolling the entire ITB up into and over the TFL and then higher on the inside of the hip bone (about 2 min) followed by hip flexor stretches on both sides, 3x30secs. Rationale was that the TFL/ITB/Hips are all interconnected, so you need to stretch them all out to allow the TFL to truly stretch and relax when you do the hip flexor work.
Tom H
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top