365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Time to Pace Others

+26
Michael Enright
Peg Coover
Dave P
KBFitz
Chris M
Mrs. Schuey
Tom H
Mark B
Alex Kubacki
jon c
mul21
JohnP
charles.moman
Neil Ruggiero
Penelope
GregC
fostever
Kenny B.
Michele "1L" Keane
Julie
Nick Morris
healdgator
Seth Harrison
Schuey
John Kilpatrick
Jim Lentz
30 posters

Page 5 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9 ... 14  Next

Go down

Time to Pace Others - Page 5 Empty Re: Time to Pace Others

Post  Jim Lentz Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:28 am

Julie wrote:you live near a lot of 365 runners, don't you? I find some of my closest friends are my running friends. We run together often enough we have time to communicate with what's going on with our families and everything and running just lends itself to good conversation. Glad you're enjoying some new trails we just have so many mosquitoes here they're not my favorite area right now.

Julie, there are quite a few 365 runners in my area, Chicago. Presently I am visitng the DC area and thought it would be a great time to get together with Chris and Kevin for a nice run. I was able to do the same thing last week as I was in the suburbs of DC. In a couple of weeks I have a class to teach in China Lake, CA that I doubt will be near any of the runners here. On Saturdays I run with a local running group, the Clocktower Runners and lead a training pace team. That helps to keep me motivated to not miss a long Saturday run. It is great to be able to run with friends. There doesn't seem to be a mosquito issue around here or Chicago.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:41 am

Yep Kevin has been reminding of keep my focus on the trail when running no matter what. Yes they have some awesome trails to run on. Chris signed me up for a trail race the day after we ran the National half and it was fun as hell. Although it wasn't my fastest 10 mile run, running on the trails made the run go by so much faster and a lot more fun. Some of due to the beauty in it all and the fact that I had to keep my focus the whole time running.

Glad you had fun with those two knuckleheads. I always enjoy visiting and running with those two also.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:05 pm

Schuey wrote:Yep Kevin has been reminding of keep my focus on the trail when running no matter what. Yes they have some awesome trails to run on. Chris signed me up for a trail race the day after we ran the National half and it was fun as hell. Although it wasn't my fastest 10 mile run, running on the trails made the run go by so much faster and a lot more fun. Some of due to the beauty in it all and the fact that I had to keep my focus the whole time running.

Glad you had fun with those two knuckleheads. I always enjoy visiting and running with those two also.

Nothing reminded me more than to trip and hit the ground. It only involved getting scraped up a little near the knee and perhaps a slight ego bruise. I wish there were more trails like that closer to Chicago, but I can't complain as we do have some pretty good running resources. The trail race does sound like it would be fun. I have done a trail race series a few years back in Rockford and it was a blast. With your ultra running goals I think you will have lots of training in learning to focus on the trails.

It was fun to run together and then enjoy a meal together.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:43 am

Yesterday I went out for an easy 8 miles on the trails we ran on Tuesday. I had troubles finding the exact route, but got in some hilly mileage. It was 93 with a heat index of 100.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:08 pm

That is great you lead a pace team. I know about telling someone you'll be there for a certain run being motivating for getting out there and running.

I think we have mosquitoes from the flooding or at least a worse than average summer here.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:17 pm

Julie wrote:That is great you lead a pace team. I know about telling someone you'll be there for a certain run being motivating for getting out there and running.

I think we have mosquitoes from the flooding or at least a worse than average summer here.

It's very good motivation for me.

I heard there was quite a bit of rain while I have been away, so we might have the same mosquito issue.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:00 pm

Jim Lentz wrote:Yesterday I went out for an easy 8 miles on the trails we ran on Tuesday. I had troubles finding the exact route, but got in some hilly mileage. It was 93 with a heat index of 100.

Sounds so familiar!

Keep up the good work!
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:44 pm

Peg Coover wrote:
Jim Lentz wrote:Yesterday I went out for an easy 8 miles on the trails we ran on Tuesday. I had troubles finding the exact route, but got in some hilly mileage. It was 93 with a heat index of 100.

Sounds so familiar!

Keep up the good work!

Too much of that hot stuff around, Peg.

Thanks!

Today I ran 15.58 miles for the long run. It wasn't too hot, but the sun, humidity and not enough sleep made it feel hard enough. Some of the runners in the group had issues with the heat today.

I was comparing the run KB, Chris and I did Tuesday to what I did solo on Thursday and found I really didn't take the right route in Rock Creek Park. I was running a lot harder with them with an average HR of 148, almost MP HR and a maximum of 173, my maximum is around 180. On Tuesday my maximum was only 154. Perhaps in my next marathon I need someone to help me push the pace, especially near the end.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:47 pm

Good job getting the long run in today, especially with the heat and being tired.
Whenever I have a run like that (feeling tired or crappy for whatever reason), I always feel really good afterward for getting it done. Those runs are the ones that build mental toughness.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:55 pm

Seth Harrison wrote:Good job getting the long run in today, especially with the heat and being tired.
Whenever I have a run like that (feeling tired or crappy for whatever reason), I always feel really good afterward for getting it done. Those runs are the ones that build mental toughness.

Thanks Seth, and you make a great point. I knew it would feel harder, but having the responsibility to lead the pace team helps me to stay consistent on Saturdays no matter how I feel.

How do I paste a picture?
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:45 pm

Good run in the heat! I'll be so happy when fall comes.

To insert image: scroll over the icon with the square with a tree inside it, click on it and then paste an img which I get by uploading photos from photo bucket which is a free photo hosting site. I don't know if there's an easier way to do it or not.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:02 pm

Julie wrote:Good run in the heat! I'll be so happy when fall comes.

To insert image: scroll over the icon with the square with a tree inside it, click on it and then paste an img which I get by uploading photos from photo bucket which is a free photo hosting site. I don't know if there's an easier way to do it or not.

Thanks Julie, I am with you about the heat.

It looks like I can only paste a picture if it is hosted somewhere.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:56 am

Today was an easy 8 mile run, although I did pick up the pace the last 2 miles. The temps were in the upper 70s and lower 80s for the run, but it is humid.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:30 am

Jim Lentz wrote:
Julie wrote:Good run in the heat! I'll be so happy when fall comes.

Thanks Julie, I am with you about the heat.

It looks like I can only paste a picture if it is hosted somewhere.

Sounds like your running is going well overall. You did well with your long run in the weather conditions.

Since I run over lunch, the mosquitoes generally stay away in the heat. When I go out in the evening, I don't dare stop or they'll be all over me. They definitely prefer the shaded areas so I stay away unless I'm moving.

If you haven't seen the thread, there is one here regarding picture posting that was helpful for me:

https://i-team.forumotion.com/t258-pic-s-should-be-easier-but-i-m-sure-i-m-missing-something
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:44 am

Thanks Jon, the weather has been challenging. Below is the elevation from Tuesday's run in DC:

Time to Pace Others - Page 5 Dc_hil10
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:14 pm

[quote="Jim Lentz"][quote="Peg Coover"]
Jim Lentz wrote:
I was comparing the run KB, Chris and I did Tuesday to what I did solo on Thursday and found I really didn't take the right route in Rock Creek Park. I was running a lot harder with them with an average HR of 148, almost MP HR and a maximum of 173, my maximum is around 180. On Tuesday my maximum was only 154. Perhaps in my next marathon I need someone to help me push the pace, especially near the end.

Not my fault! I was pretty good about hanging back behind you and Kevin and letting you two lead the way. But no, i did not trip you - just got a good view of your fall/tuck/roll/back up move. I blame Kevin for pushing your HR up. The only time I moved up was when we got on the blacktop downhill on the way back.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  KBFitz Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:50 pm

Chris M wrote:
Jim Lentz wrote:
Not my fault! I was pretty good about hanging back behind you and Kevin and letting you two lead the way. But no, i did not trip you - just got a good view of your fall/tuck/roll/back up move. I blame Kevin for pushing your HR up. The only time I moved up was when we got on the blacktop downhill on the way back.
Yep. I'll take the credit, Jim, for the intensity of your Tuesday trail workout. We averaged 9:00 pace in 90° heat. When I do it solo in 80° heat (early morning) I average 9:40-9:50 pace. So we took the challenging terrain in hot conditions at a decent clip. I think this is a natural result of running with chums -- it's not as easy to slack off as when you're running solo. So, I'll take the credit! Wink
KBFitz
KBFitz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:30 pm

Chris M wrote:
Jim Lentz wrote:

Three guys running together and it's likely to happen. I got a great workout, got to see some neat trails and we had a great meal afterward. I know you tripped me Chris:twisted: The blacktop is the one type of terrain I am quite familiar with.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:37 pm

KBFitz wrote:
Chris M wrote:
Jim Lentz wrote:
Yep. I'll take the credit, Jim, for the intensity of your Tuesday trail workout. We averaged 9:00 pace in 90° heat. When I do it solo in 80° heat (early morning) I average 9:40-9:50 pace. So we took the challenging terrain in hot conditions at a decent clip. I think this is a natural result of running with chums -- it's not as easy to slack off as when you're running solo. So, I'll take the credit! Wink

No problem Kevin. If I had it all to do over again I would do it in a second. The trails you and Chris took me on were a blast, even considering that Chris tripped me. It has to have been a really good workout.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:43 pm

Jim Lentz wrote:
KBFitz wrote:
Chris M wrote:
Jim Lentz wrote:

No problem Kevin. If I had it all to do over again I would do it in a second. The trails you and Chris took me on were a blast, even considering that Chris tripped me. It has to have been a really good workout.

Hey Chris what's up with you tripping my buddy Jim?

Jim do you want me to take care of Chris for you when I see him in Sept.?
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:36 pm

Schuey wrote:
Jim Lentz wrote:
KBFitz wrote:
Chris M wrote:
Jim Lentz wrote:

Hey Chris what's up with you tripping my buddy Jim?

Jim do you want me to take care of Chris for you when I see him in Sept.?

Yeah, what is up with that, Chris?

You could talk him onto doing the JFK50, that would pay him back!
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:30 am

Today, like yesterday, I ran an easy 8 miles. It is significantly warmer than yesterday and there is a heat warning starting at 10 AM. I intentionally ran a little slower than yesterday and it felt a little easier.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:03 pm

I never ran an easy 8. Easy 7 was my longest and even then it ain't 4 5 or 6. LOL nice job.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:18 pm

More heat advisory? Is the weather getting any better overall? We're in another heat warning today. 115 heat index this afternoon.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:19 pm

Kenny B. wrote:I never ran an easy 8. Easy 7 was my longest and even then it ain't 4 5 or 6. LOL nice job.

What kind of 8 mile runs have you done? How long are your recovery runs? Thanks.

Julie wrote:More heat advisory? Is the weather getting any better overall? We're in another heat warning today. 115 heat index this afternoon.

There is a heat advisory here until 8PM. Our dewpoints are in the mid to upper 70s with a heat index up to 109. Tomorrow will be a lot better here.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9 ... 14  Next