365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ideas on fewer but much faster miles

+9
mountandog
Chris Coleman
mul21
ounce
Michele "1L" Keane
JohnP
Jerry
Schuey
Penelope
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Ideas on fewer but much faster miles - Page 2 Empty Re: Ideas on fewer but much faster miles

Post  Jerry Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:33 am

Mark B wrote:
Jerry wrote:
Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:And work on a base using Maffetone as the guide.  Ask Mark how it's worked.  I'm on it, too, but I don't do the tests like Mark does.  But it does give you extra gears in your transmission to run faster at a lower heart rate (additional gears will lower RPM for the same speed = better gas mileage).  I was beginning to reap the benefits of it like I never have before.  And I still can, once I fix my feet.  It's so exciting for me to be on the cusp of breaking through.  I feel like Jed Clampett seein' that "a bubblin' crude."

I'll throw my voice in here, too, talking about the low-intensity endurance work others have mentioned.

One approach is to not run by pace, but by intensity as measured by heart rate. Once you get the effective target heart rate established that balances health and fitness, It will feel weird and you'll think you're running too slow - but you'll actually be stimulating positive adaptations that will over time significantly improve your aerobic capacity.

And the best part? If you're doing it right, you keep getting faster at that same target (low) heart rate, which gives some great positive motivation to keep at it. You'll notice a moderate improvement every three weeks, and a bigger gain every six weeks. (If the gains don't happen, something's wrong.)

Once you've got a good base and the easy speed it brings, it's time to build with a bit more intensity (Hadd's Approach to Distance Training is a dense read, but helpful.) and sharpen up for whatever race you want to try. Though if you've worked the aerobic engine enough, that extra sharpening might not even be necessary.

Mark, don't you agree you are a little too late on this?

scratch 

Not quite sure what you mean, Jerry. It's never too late to spend a couple of hours deciphering Hadd!

The question is a year old. It's 2014 now. Basketball
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Ideas on fewer but much faster miles - Page 2 Empty Re: Ideas on fewer but much faster miles

Post  Mark B Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:33 pm

Jerry wrote:
Mark B wrote:
Jerry wrote:
Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:And work on a base using Maffetone as the guide.  Ask Mark how it's worked.  I'm on it, too, but I don't do the tests like Mark does.  But it does give you extra gears in your transmission to run faster at a lower heart rate (additional gears will lower RPM for the same speed = better gas mileage).  I was beginning to reap the benefits of it like I never have before.  And I still can, once I fix my feet.  It's so exciting for me to be on the cusp of breaking through.  I feel like Jed Clampett seein' that "a bubblin' crude."

I'll throw my voice in here, too, talking about the low-intensity endurance work others have mentioned.

One approach is to not run by pace, but by intensity as measured by heart rate. Once you get the effective target heart rate established that balances health and fitness, It will feel weird and you'll think you're running too slow - but you'll actually be stimulating positive adaptations that will over time significantly improve your aerobic capacity.

And the best part? If you're doing it right, you keep getting faster at that same target (low) heart rate, which gives some great positive motivation to keep at it. You'll notice a moderate improvement every three weeks, and a bigger gain every six weeks. (If the gains don't happen, something's wrong.)

Once you've got a good base and the easy speed it brings, it's time to build with a bit more intensity (Hadd's Approach to Distance Training is a dense read, but helpful.) and sharpen up for whatever race you want to try. Though if you've worked the aerobic engine enough, that extra sharpening might not even be necessary.

Mark, don't you agree you are a little too late on this?

scratch 

Not quite sure what you mean, Jerry. It's never too late to spend a couple of hours deciphering Hadd!

The question is a year old. It's 2014 now. Basketball

Oh! Uh... well... It's Jim's fault! He posted the day before I did! Yeah, that's it!

Besides, that sort of thing never gets old. Smile
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:29 am

Well, I finally ran across the article I was talking about earlier in this thread, so here it is:

http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/time-rethink-your-marathon-training-program?page=single
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2