365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Garmin 620! - Who Wants to Buy my 610??

+17
mul21
ounce
Mrs. Schuey
Mark B
RobA
Gobbles
JohnP
Chris Coleman
Kenny B.
fostever
mountandog
Schuey
Jerry
Nick Morris
dot520
Michele "1L" Keane
Ben Z
21 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

Garmin 620! - Who Wants to Buy my 610?? - Page 5 Empty Re: Garmin 620! - Who Wants to Buy my 610??

Post  Nick Morris Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:35 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:I'm good and have had no issues since the very beginning.  I think Stephen (Gobbles) sent his back, but after the initial woes, it has been all good. Updates easy, etc.

That's good to know. I had thought about the 620 when my 305 tanked, but opted to get a refurbished 305 instead...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Garmin 620! - Who Wants to Buy my 610?? - Page 5 Empty Re: Garmin 620! - Who Wants to Buy my 610??

Post  Tim C Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:41 am

I really want to splurge on the 620, but the 220 looks like it does everything I need.  Plus, I could get the new HR monitor and still be way ahead.  Think I'll pick one up today.
Tim C
Tim C
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:54 am

Have any of you with the 620 used the race predictor? Just wondering how well that feature works.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:53 pm

Also, does any garmin HRM sync with the 620 or 220??
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:33 am

Nick Morris wrote:Have any of you with the 620 used the race predictor?  Just wondering how well that feature works.
Nope, but I don't use race predictors too much anyway as they always make me feel like I let myself down as I can't run as fast as they want me too.  Razz 
Nick Morris wrote:Also, does any garmin HRM sync with the 620 or 220??

Yes.  I actually got a new one, but I'm still using the one from my 610.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim C Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:03 pm

Picked up the 220 yesterday and ran with it today.  Pretty much awesome… I REALLY like this watch.  Very intuitive to set up, didn't really need the manual at all.

The only screwy thing was I set the auto pause at 20:00/mile pace, which is what I used on my 610 and it worked well.  So I press start this morning and it just alternates between starting and pausing - constantly.  I pressed pause and then start again and it worked fine.  Stopped at a stop light, it paused but when I started back up, same thing.  I had to manually press pause and then start again.  I am going to try the auto-pause at 'when stopped' Saturday and see if that helps.  My 610 didn't like that because it would start & stop while I was just standing there…..

The only other weird thing is when just in the straight, non-gps watch mode, the hours are 1 color and the minutes are another.  Can't figure out how to change that but can't for the life of me see why they would do that on purpose.
Tim C
Tim C
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim C Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:28 pm

Check that - I solved the clock color thing.  Just had to turn the theme color option off.  Why the theme color only affects the hours and not the minutes is beyond me.

One other thing that bugs me.  Is there no way to force a Garmin out of gps mode and just go the watch without having to wait the 5 minutes or so for it do so itself???
Tim C
Tim C
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:02 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:Also, does any garmin HRM sync with the 620 or 220??

Yes.  I actually got a new one, but I'm still using the one from my 610.

Thanks Michele...that is what I thought and you confirmed it.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:34 pm

Way behind the ball on this with my old 405 with a new strap, lol, but GPS watches will never be 100% accurate due to obstructions. However, even my old watch works pretty well except when I hit the stop button then think I hit start but didn't because I heard the bezel. Anywoo, I think new watches have so many added features there is bound to be bugs at first. I have run tech naked before and keep looking for that damn thing all the time! Our running ancestors, you know, like Amby, Hal, ect. ran in dress shoes and no watch I think!
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:08 pm

Tim C wrote:Check that - I solved the clock color thing.  Just had to turn the theme color option off.  Why the theme color only affects the hours and not the minutes is beyond me.

One other thing that bugs me.  Is there no way to force a Garmin out of gps mode and just go the watch without having to wait the 5 minutes or so for it do so itself???

Yes.  After you have finished your run and scrolled down to Save the run, then scrolled down once again for Done, it will pop back to the find-the-satellite screen.  Hit the lap button (4 o'clock on the watch) until you get the time of day screen with a padlock over the time.  Then, finally, hit the start button (2 o'clock on the watch) and it will revert to a plain, old watch mode.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:19 pm

ounce wrote:
Tim C wrote:Check that - I solved the clock color thing.  Just had to turn the theme color option off.  Why the theme color only affects the hours and not the minutes is beyond me.

Yes.  After you have finished your run and scrolled down to Save the run, then scrolled down once again for Done, it will pop back to the find-the-satellite screen.  Hit the lap button (4 o'clock on the watch) until you get the time of day screen with a padlock over the time.  Then, finally, hit the start button (2 o'clock on the watch) and it will revert to a plain, old watch mode.

That sounds like the cheat code to the Nintendo game Contra...just sayin'
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim C Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:40 pm

ounce wrote:

Awesome - thanks.  How in the hell did you figure that out???

Since you seem to know your way around the watch, if you save a run and then upload to Garmin Connect, does it delete the saved run from the watch or do you need to delete manually?  I know my 610 deleted after uploading.
Tim C
Tim C
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:44 pm

Tim C wrote:
ounce wrote:

Since you seem to know your way around the watch, if you save a run and then upload to Garmin Connect, does it delete the saved run from the watch or do you need to delete manually?  I know my 610 deleted after uploading.

By accident. 

And I haven't owned it long enough for it to tell me that I need to delete some runs, like it did on my 305's.

But one thing that needs to be told about Garmin Connect, that I just found out.

Today, I ran 8.84 miles (usually run 9, but the satellite was asleep for 0.16 miles).  And my total average pace was 12:46 on the watch.  When I uploaded it, Garmin Connect converted the average pace of the last mile to 13:55 and my Average Pace was now 13:00.  Had I run 9 full miles, that would've been true.  But I didn't.  The watch (or Garmin Connect) should ONLY give the Average Pace based on actual miles, not average whole miles.

I exported the activity to Excel and took an average of the actual splits and it came up with 12:46.  Ticked me off, but now I know.  Be mindful of that last lap average.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:52 am

I was comparing the 220 to the 620 last night and there really isn't too much of a difference between the two. The biggest difference I see is the race predictor and vo2 max. Is that really worth the extra $100?
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim C Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:57 am

Nick Morris wrote:I was comparing the 220 to the 620 last night and there really isn't too much of a difference between the two.  The biggest difference I see is the race predictor and vo2 max.  Is that really worth the extra $100?

Nick, 
I totally agree.  I read DC Rainmakers reviews on the two and the 220 does everything I want / need.  And, at least here, it is a $150 difference between the two.  I had the old style HR monitor so I went for the 220 with HR strap and it was still $100 less then the 620 without the strap.  Had it for several days now and love it.
Tim C
Tim C
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:16 am

Tim C wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:I was comparing the 220 to the 620 last night and there really isn't too much of a difference between the two.  The biggest difference I see is the race predictor and vo2 max.  Is that really worth the extra $100?

Nick, 
I totally agree.  I read DC Rainmakers reviews on the two and the 220 does everything I want / need.  And, at least here, it is a $150 difference between the two.  I had the old style HR monitor so I went for the 220 with HR strap and it was still $100 less then the 620 without the strap.  Had it for several days now and love it.
Michele would have to address that, as she owns a 620.  I do know from looking at her stats on GarminConnect that it gives air time between steps.

I wish the 220 gave Last Lap info.  You may want to compare the features of the two by looking at the owner manuals.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:34 am

Tim C wrote:
ounce wrote:

Tim no it doesn't delete the saved run. You will still need to go into history>options>delete all activities
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:39 am

ounce wrote:
Tim C wrote:
ounce wrote:

By accident. 

And I haven't owned it long enough for it to tell me that I need to delete some runs, like it did on my 305's.

But one thing that needs to be told about Garmin Connect, that I just found out.

Today, I ran 8.84 miles (usually run 9, but the satellite was asleep for 0.16 miles).  And my total average pace was 12:46 on the watch.  When I uploaded it, Garmin Connect converted the average pace of the last mile to 13:55 and my Average Pace was now 13:00.  Had I run 9 full miles, that would've been true.  But I didn't.  The watch (or Garmin Connect) should ONLY give the Average Pace based on actual miles, not average whole miles.

I exported the activity to Excel and took an average of the actual splits and it came up with 12:46.  Ticked me off, but now I know.  Be mindful of that last lap average.
Hmm that is interesting Doug, I have never had that happen on mine based of distance. Now I know the pace has rounded up due to the seconds/milliseconds. With that being said Garmin Connect and almost any other site I have used has done that rounding up for pace.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim C Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:46 am

Hmmmm, so I have my race next week and thought I'd set my 220 up for the data screens I would use and lo and behold, the 220 does not have 'Average Lap Time'.  It has 'lap time' and 'time' and obviously 'average lap pace' but average pace does you no good unless you run the tangents perfectly, which is impossible to do.

My old 310 had this so when I pressed the lap button at each mile marker it didn't matter whether the mile was .99 or 1.03, it measured the time for the mile and displayed the average for all laps.  I've got a pace band that I will wear so I can use the 'timer' to compare with that but I'm kind of bummed...
Tim C
Tim C
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5