365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Making the commitment...

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Re: Making the commitment...

Post  nkrichards on Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:53 pm

@Nick Morris wrote:
When are heading to the race expo to get your race bib?  Friday or Saturday?  I am thinking about heading sometime on Saturday.  Let me know, it would be great to say hi.  Plus, I can give you some pointers on the course Smile
Nick...we won't make it into Hamilton until mid-morning on Saturday.  We ended up flying into Detroit as the total travel time was shorter and we didn't have to worry about airline connections.  We'll drive to London Friday evening and then on into Hamilton on Saturday morning.  It should split the travel/sitting time up nicely.

It would be great if we could catch up at the expo and I'd love some pointers on the course.  I'm especially interested in how you plan to pace yourself.  Did you pick up much time on the downhill last year?  I know it was earlier in the race last year.

Let me know what time works well for you.  We don't have anything planned at this point in time.

Stay healthy!!!!!
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:22 pm

My friends are driving from Madison and will not be into town until Saturday morning.  So, I think that we will go to the expo sometime in the early afternoon.  I'll keep you posted...
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope on Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:33 pm

Your training runs look great, like you're poised for a solid race.  Fingers crossed you feel better soon.
That's a great pic of you and Gary!
Penelope
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:50 pm

@Penelope wrote:Your training runs look great, like you're poised for a solid race.  Fingers crossed you feel better soon.
That's a great pic of you and Gary!
Thanks Kathy...feeling much better this week so should be 100% by race day.  I wonder if the cold at this point in my training will have an effect on race day?  The race with Gary was fun.  The goal was to embarrass him but he loved it. Smile
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:56 pm

Pretty quick update as Dad is having trouble with fluid collecting around his heart following the surgery.  He seems to be doing OK but is having trouble breathing.  He's going in today to have the fluid drained...hopefully that will get his recovery back on track.  Mom is coping with the stress of caring for him pretty well but we're trying to help as much as possible.

On the running side...it's been a good time to be tapering as I haven't had much extra time to run.  I've been getting my swims in and they've been fun and a great stress reliever.  All my scheduled runs have been feeling good/easy so that's a good sign.  I can still feel the hamstring and I'm a bit nervous about how it will feel towards the end of the marathon and on the trip home but I'm hoping it won't affect the actual race to much.
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:43 pm

Here's to hoping your Dad is ok.  Forget about the hammie as it won't bother you one bit next weekend especially if you stay hydrated.  Welcome to the last week!
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:44 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Here's to hoping your Dad is ok.  Forget about the hammie as it won't bother you one bit next weekend especially if you stay hydrated.  Welcome to the last week!
+1...I wouldn't worry about the hamstring...You'll be great!!! I hope your Dad's recovery comes around and he is alright.

P.S. ONE MORE WEEK!!!!
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:51 pm

Thanks Michele and Nick...I'm feeling pretty good about where I'm at but the hammie is making me a bit nervous.  It is what it is and will probably bother me more after the race than during so I'm not overly concerned.

Dad's procedure went well.  They drained off a liter of fluid and he says it does seem easier to breathe.  They are keeping a bit closer eye on him so should be able to catch these things and get him back on track a bit more quickly now.

My 8 miles yesterday went pretty well.  9:40 overall pace with the last couple miles at/close to MP.  It did seem a bit more difficult than I thought it should but I was a bit short on sleep so I wasn't to surprised.

Goal this week is to really try hard to get enough sleep and make sure I eat well and stay hydrated.  I've had a pretty hectic schedule so that's been difficult the last few weeks but this week looks better.

Now if the weather cooperates...
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:00 pm

Well, Nancy at lest both of us had a last run where it felt tougher than we thought it should!  We will all just try and keep it together this week as best we can.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:17 pm

Can we get this over and done with?

3 miles yesterday at a pace that would have been a nice 5K race a few months ago. Smile  I'm going to have to be careful not to get carried away on race day.

Nice easy swim to loosen up this morning.

Then I was stuck in a meeting the rest of the day.

Nervous about the weather...
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:08 pm

@nkrichards wrote:Can we get this over and done with?

3 miles yesterday at a pace that would have been a nice 5K race a few months ago. Smile  I'm going to have to be careful not to get carried away on race day.

Nice easy swim to loosen up this morning.

Then I was stuck in a meeting the rest of the day.

Nervous about the weather...
No worries Nancy.  It is going to be nice and cold.  The wind won't be a big deal, either.  And it's only a 30% chance of precipitation...It's a recipe for a fast race!!!  I really think that you are going to enjoy the large downhill from mile 14-17...
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:06 pm

Stuck in a meeting again this morning but that's over and done with.

Wednesday afternoon is my scheduled Nanie time with the youngest grandchild.  Owen (14 months) hangs out with me while his parents attend a Spanish class.  Nap time...for Owen...and I'm tempted. Smile 

If Owen's folks make it home early enough I'll run the 3 miles that's on the schedule this evening.  If it's to close to dark I'll run tomorrow morning.  I'd prefer to run this evening to so I can drop in and say hi to my swim friends.  I'll do a few laps to loosen up but it will be mostly social.  Then it's home to get packed and ready for travel to the race.

Why am I so nervous about this race?  I've done this before...I can do it again!  I was more concerned about training smart and getting the starting line.  I feel like I accomplished that goal...the race should just be the icing on the cake.
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:11 pm

@nkrichards wrote:Stuck in a meeting again this morning but that's over and done with.

Wednesday afternoon is my scheduled Nanie time with the youngest grandchild.  Owen (14 months) hangs out with me while his parents attend a Spanish class.  Nap time...for Owen...and I'm tempted. Smile 

If Owen's folks make it home early enough I'll run the 3 miles that's on the schedule this evening.  If it's to close to dark I'll run tomorrow morning.  I'd prefer to run this evening to so I can drop in and say hi to my swim friends.  I'll do a few laps to loosen up but it will be mostly social.  Then it's home to get packed and ready for travel to the race.

Why am I so nervous about this race?  I've done this before...I can do it again!  I was more concerned about training smart and getting the starting line.  I feel like I accomplished that goal...the race should just be the icing on the cake.
Yes, yes it should be Smile  It'll be a great race, too!!
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:09 pm

Go Nancy Go!
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie on Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:13 pm

You can do it! Excited for you.
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki on Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:52 am

Have a great race and hopefully the weather is great.
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:56 pm

Thanks everyone.  I am looking forward to the race in spite of the nervousness.

Still a bit up in the air about goal pace.  I think my plan will be to start out somewhere in between a 4:05 and a 4:10 goal.  The plan would be to run a negative split to PR but have a bit of a cushion to run a BQ (4:10).  (2010 PR 4:06:15).  (I was shooting for 4:05:59 which would have been a BQ for me at that time.)  I don't want to start to fast and ruin my chance to run a 4:10.

Pretty tough to compare training runs as I've been running on tired legs a bit more this time.  Overall training has been slower but looked better towards the end.  I think I peaked a bit later.  Races have been good so that's encouraging.  My half a couple weeks ago wasn't a good indicator as it was run with a cold the day after a 10K.  It still predicted a 4:10 marathon so hopefully my goal isn't to aggressive.

Thanks again for the advice and encouragement along the way...
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:05 pm

Congrats, Nancy on an excellent run!  Seems as we all got it done this weekend!!!
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie on Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:26 pm

Congrats!!
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:32 pm

Great race, Nancy! Congratulations. Smile
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:05 am

Wow!  Wow!  That's about all I have to say.

4:04:01   BQ minus 5:59    Lowered my PR by 2:14 and got a hug from Nick at the finish.  Life is good.

Not sure I can describe how I feel this morning but I know you've all been there and done that so you know how I feel.

Thanks for the encouragement along the way and the congrats posted after the race.

Will post more details along with a race report later today...

Thanks again and congrats to everyone else...sounds like there was lots of great running this weekend!
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:20 am

Again congrats!  You earned it.  Now I hope to see you in Boston in 2015.  If there are enough of us going, we should consider renting a flat.  I had friends from British Columbia do this back in 2007, and it was fun.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:34 am

Gratz, Nancy!  It's great seeing a plan executed, according to script.  Hope your mom is in the groove as a caretaker.
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope on Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:34 pm

@nkrichards wrote:Wow!  Wow!  That's about all I have to say.

4:04:01   BQ minus 5:59    Lowered my PR by 2:14 and got a hug from Nick at the finish.  Life is good.

Not sure I can describe how I feel this morning but I know you've all been there and done that so you know how I feel.

Thanks for the encouragement along the way and the congrats posted after the race.

Thanks again and congrats to everyone else...sounds like there was lots of great running this weekend!
Fantastic!! Congrats, Nancy!! Yay!! You must be thrilled with that result!
Penelope
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:12 pm

@Penelope wrote:
@nkrichards wrote:Wow!  Wow!  That's about all I have to say.

Fantastic!! Congrats, Nancy!! Yay!! You must be thrilled with that result!
Thanks Kathy...thrilled is an understatement.  I struggled so much in 2011 and 2012 that I was ready to give up on my marathon career.  I still may decide to do something different for a while but I'm so glad that I gave it one last shot and can go out on a high note.
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next