365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Making the commitment...

+7
ounce
Penelope
Nick Morris
Mark B
Julie
Michele "1L" Keane
nkrichards
11 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Making the commitment... - Page 2 Empty Re: Making the commitment...

Post  Mark B Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:21 pm

Nice job on the 20-miler, Nancy. Picking up the pace in that last loop will serve you well come race day.

Batten down the hatches: big wetness is heading our way. It's never a good sign when the weather service starts throwing around the term "atmospheric river." Yipes.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:02 pm

Tough weekend...this is going to have to be a quick update.

The storm that blew through the Pacific Northwest caused significant economic damage on the farm.  We're all safe and sound and it looks like while we definitely have crop losses they aren't total losses.  We'll survive.  That's farming!

My Dad is scheduled for open heart surgery on Thursday...valve replacement and bypass.  I'll spend the day in Portland with Mom while he's in surgery.

Running...the family has been great.  We're making my quality runs a priority and fitting in whatever else we can as time/scheduling allows.  So far I'm doing OK.

Monday was a total of 9 miles with 3x2 out on the road.  In addition to rolling hills the wind was howling!  I did this run a month ago and average 18:17 per 2 mile lap.  I was hoping for 18:00 this time but with the wind I wouldn't have been disappointed if I wasn't able to do that.  Pleasantly surprised to run 17:56, 17:52, 17:37! Smile 
I did have to push myself but recovered quickly and wasn't sore afterwards.  Pretty happy with that.

Tuesday...early core before breakfast and then an hour at the pool.

I apologize for not checking in on everyone's blogs...maybe in a few days.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:24 pm

nkrichards wrote:Tough weekend...this is going to have to be a quick update.

The storm that blew through the Pacific Northwest caused significant economic damage on the farm.  We're all safe and sound and it looks like while we definitely have crop losses they aren't total losses.  We'll survive.  That's farming!

My Dad is scheduled for open heart surgery on Thursday...valve replacement and bypass.  I'll spend the day in Portland with Mom while he's in surgery.

Running...the family has been great.  We're making my quality runs a priority and fitting in whatever else we can as time/scheduling allows.  So far I'm doing OK.

Monday was a total of 9 miles with 3x2 out on the road.  In addition to rolling hills the wind was howling!  I did this run a month ago and average 18:17 per 2 mile lap.  I was hoping for 18:00 this time but with the wind I wouldn't have been disappointed if I wasn't able to do that.  Pleasantly surprised to run 17:56, 17:52, 17:37! Smile 
I did have to push myself but recovered quickly and wasn't sore afterwards.  Pretty happy with that.

Tuesday...early core before breakfast and then an hour at the pool.

I apologize for not checking in on everyone's blogs...maybe in a few days.
No worries Nancy.  It sounds like you have a lot going on right now.  Plus, it sounds like your fitness level is really picking up.  Good work with the 9 miles!!  Sending positive vibes to your father for a good surgery.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:32 am

Sounds like things are hectic, but glad to hear you're safe from the storm, even if the crops didn't fare so well.  Solid running--when I'm really busy, I just focus on doing what I can, and if that means a few miles shorter each run, it's still better than not running at all.  Hopefully your dad's heart surgery went smoothly! 
Wind is crazy sometimes.  I bet where you are, it's really heavy at times. Nice job on the sub-18s for the 2-mile loops!
Penelope
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:51 pm

Penelope wrote:Sounds like things are hectic, but glad to hear you're safe from the storm, even if the crops didn't fare so well.  Solid running--when I'm really busy, I just focus on doing what I can, and if that means a few miles shorter each run, it's still better than not running at all.  Hopefully your dad's heart surgery went smoothly! 
Wind is crazy sometimes.  I bet where you are, it's really heavy at times. Nice job on the sub-18s for the 2-mile loops!
Thanks Kathy...I've managed to get my quality runs in but did miss some cross training. 

Dad's surgery went well although we're struggling to help Mom manage now that he's home.  He wouldn't go into rehab and Mom just can't handle his care by herself.  We have a nurse organized to start staying at night so she can get her sleep so that should help.

And the good news is we did get enough nice days to finish harvest.  Not what we were hoping for but we'll pay the bills and look towards next year.  They say that if you don't think next year is going to be your best year that you better get out of farming. Smile
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:03 pm

Things have calmed down a bit.  Crops are in and we're cleaning up equipment and preparing fields for next year.  Not a great year but we'll manage.

Dad's surgery went well.  I had to make several trips over the mountain (2 hours each way) and stayed with Mom the first night Dad was home.  I'm exhausted and we're struggling to help Mom with his care but we'll get things organized and line up some help soon.

As far as running I've managed to get my quality runs in but missed my cross training.

Last Wed - 12 w/10@ 9:18 and a negative split.  Slow start but nice run.

Fri -15@ 10:04 My legs were stiff from driving and sitting at the hospital all day on Thursday but they loosened up as the run went on and I finished pretty well.

Mon - 9 w/8@ 9:46  Probably a bit faster than necessary but it felt good.

Today - 7 w/5 @9:05  Legs really stiff and just didn't feel well at the start but once I warmed up the run felt pretty good.

Not sure how the rest of the week will go.  I'm supposed to run a 10K on Saturday and a half on Sunday...scheduling change put them on the same weekend.  I would like to...and plan to...run both but I'm going to have to be pretty cautious with my paces.  I haven't done anything stupid during the buildup to my marathon and it's to close to the end to mess up now!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:59 am

Wow did it feel good to get back in the pool today.  He worked us hard and concentrated on our core for a good portion so I got a double benefit.

I'm thinking a very short run tomorrow...maybe 20 minutes with a few strides thrown in to make sure I have all the kinks out of my legs.  Way to much driving the last few days!

Saturday is the 10K...part of a local series.  I'll run it but try...key word being try...not to race it.

Sunday is the half.  I won't be able to push the pace to hard but I'm hoping to keep it under 2 hours.  Will be a good test. 

I'm going to have to be careful not to be disappointed with the results of both of these races as I'm not going in to them under the best circumstances.  They'll be a good finish for my last hard week before tapering. Smile
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:19 pm

nkrichards wrote:Wow did it feel good to get back in the pool today.  He worked us hard and concentrated on our core for a good portion so I got a double benefit.

I'm thinking a very short run tomorrow...maybe 20 minutes with a few strides thrown in to make sure I have all the kinks out of my legs.  Way to much driving the last few days!

Saturday is the 10K...part of a local series.  I'll run it but try...key word being try...not to race it.

Sunday is the half.  I won't be able to push the pace to hard but I'm hoping to keep it under 2 hours.  Will be a good test. 

I'm going to have to be careful not to be disappointed with the results of both of these races as I'm not going in to them under the best circumstances.  They'll be a good finish for my last hard week before tapering. Smile
Good work on the running this week...As for the races this weekend, if you go into them with the mindset that they are training runs and not races, I think that you will be ok.  Good luck and have fun with them.  Your hard work is almost complete and taper is right around the corner Smile
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:15 pm

Glad the surgery went well.   As a thought, aim for "marathon pace" at the half on Sunday as that will be a great test.  I did the same this past weekend and it was a good confidence booster.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:50 pm

Thanks Nick and Michele...I am going to have to be careful not let myself start to race tomorrow at least for the first few miles.

Did a couple easy miles on Friday with a few strides thrown in.  Felt good but the scratchy throat that I'd had for a couple days started to turn into a full blown cold.  Crying or Very sad  I think the lack of sleep finally caught up with me.  Was pretty miserable last night but didn't feel to bad this morning.

The 10K ended up going pretty well.  Took it pretty easy on the first couple miles which have all the uphill sections.  Was feeling better than expected once I hit the flats so I picked it up a bit and dropped down under a 9 min pace.  Gained even more time once I hit the downhill section and finished pretty strong.  55:27 but the course was long...my pace was 8:42.  Nothing to brag about but I was pretty pleased by how I felt during and after the race.

Will take the first few miles fairly slow tomorrow and see how I feel once I get about half way through.  It will be a fun race not matter what my time is...will try and figure out how to post a photo which will explain once I get back home on Sunday night or Monday morning.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:58 pm

Nice job on the 10K, especially with your body fighting off a bug. (Something - or several somethings - must be circulating around the Pacific NW, because I keep nearly getting sick... and Alec came down with something this morning.) 

Stay healthy!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:43 pm

Not sure if I should be pleased or disappointed with my half today.  I definitely felt the effects of the 10K yesterday and/or the cold.  It didn't seem to bother me during the 10K on Sat but I could feel it today.  Anyway...I started out at a 9 minute pace which was probably a bit fast in hindsight but I felt so good during the 10K that I thought I could pull it off.  Brought the pace down a couple seconds over the middle of the race but started to struggle at about mile 9 or 10.  That's where the hills start but I think the cold and/or tired legs just caught up with me then.  I also struggled to get water and nutrition down as I was often struggling to breath without coughing/choking.

So I gave away a few seconds in the last few miles finishing in 1:58:29 9:03 pace.  Pleased that I kept in under 2 hours disappointed that I dropped below a 9 min pace.  Pleasantly surprised that I finished 6th of 104 AG and 164th overall.

Time for taper. Smile 

The fun part is that my oldest son, Gary, ran this race with me.  It was his first half.  Since it is a Girlfriends Half he had to join the Pink Brigade and raise $1000 for charity (breast cancer cure) and wear pink.  He sported a lovely pink tu-tu and pink "I love Boobs" socks.  I'll try and post a photo tomorrow.  He really enjoyed it...was the first male finisher (of 5)...and is excited to continue running.

Off to bed early to try and shake this cold.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:45 am

Still fighting this cold a bit but it's getting better. 

Monday was an off day to recover from the weekend of racing.

Tuesday started off with a swim and then an easy 3 miles.  Pleased that I had no noticeable soreness after the weekend of racing but my legs were pretty dead.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:01 am

Good work on the races/training runs over the weekend.  Remember that the pace/time really shouldn't be something to worry about.  You got in some good hard running and that is what counts.  Enjoy the taper and fight off that cold.  Maybe you should eat some pie like Michael Wink
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula Sue Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:14 pm

Seems like taper is the time for colds Crying or Very sad  Chicken soup and rest...and try PIE !!!
Paula Sue
Paula Sue
Poster
Poster

http://oceanbreeze-lake-erie.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:17 pm

Thanks Nick and Paula Sue...guess what was waiting on the kitchen counter when I got in this evening!  A couple slices of apple pie.  The grandkids are learning to bake. Smile (and they are getting good at it)

Got in 6 miles on Wednesday.  Slowed down to a 9:25 pace as I didn't want to push to hard with the cold still hanging on.

Thursday was a blast at the pool.  We did some drills and then spent some time doing vertical kicking.  The goal was to kick as quickly as we could for 30 seconds then 10 seconds easy...rotating between freestyle, frog and dolphin kick...but we also had to stay as upright and straight as we possibly could.  Worked the core as much as the legs.

Took the day off today...still battling this cold and hoping I feel a bit better tomorrow.  I'm torn between running and resting to help recover from this cold.  I want to run...but not if it's going to jeopardize my recovery.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:23 pm

I hope you feel all better soon so you can br confident race wkend.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:29 pm

Making the commitment... - Page 2 <a href=Making the commitment... - Page 2 Gary__11" />

Oldest son, Gary and I at the start of the Girlfriends Half on Sunday.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:48 am

Last double digit run yesterday.  12 miles @ 9:52 with the last couple miles at MP.   Still have some cold symptoms but I'm starting to feel better.  Can definitely feel the hamstring but its manageable...just don't want to push to hard before the race.

Beautiful weather here.  Unfortunately I have a ton of work to do...some on the tractor but mostly in the office getting things caught up as we finish up one crop year and start into the next.  Tax planning is a nightmare but very necessary.  I guess taper time is a good time to do the office work but it's such nice running weather...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:59 pm

Good work on the final double digit run of the training cycle!!  I just completed mine this morning.  Also, you are very wise to not push it with the hamstring twinge.  You still have two weeks to get it feeling better.  Plus, you have put all of the work in for race day.  Right now you just need to maintain fitness.

When are heading to the race expo to get your race bib?  Friday or Saturday?  I am thinking about heading sometime on Saturday.  Let me know, it would be great to say hi.  Plus, I can give you some pointers on the course Smile
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:08 pm

Nice work Nancy. We each have two wks left but I still will run 10-12 this coming Saturday. Take care of that hamstring and don't push it, you should be just fine. You, Nick and I just need to keep each other sane for the next 2wks
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:05 pm

Hey! You were in Vancouver? If I'd known, I would have come down to cheer you on!

Welcome to single-digit land! Just let your body recover from this training cycle and you'll do great. (That goes for Michele and Nick, too, BTW.)
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:21 am

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Nice work Nancy. We each have two wks left but I still will run 10-12 this coming Saturday. Take care of that hamstring and don't push it, you should be just fine.  You, Nick and I just need to keep each other sane for the next 2wks
Thanks MIchele...I'm going to be so busy with farm work (most of which is in the office) that I'm not going to have time for taper madness. Smile
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:25 am

Mark B wrote:Hey! You were in Vancouver? If I'd known, I would have come down to cheer you on!

Welcome to single-digit land! Just let your body recover from this training cycle and you'll do great. (That goes for Michele and Nick, too, BTW.)
I'm enjoying the easier running schedule and trying to catch up on farm/office chores. 

I had hoped we could meet up before or after the race in Vancouver but with my Dad's surgery I wasn't positive we were going to make the race.  When my cold symptoms appeared and Alec caught a bug on your end I thought it best not to worry about it this time.  Maybe next year...or Eugene if Michele can make it out. Smile
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:46 am

Eugene is still a tentative maybe.  I just need to look at my summer schedule, but I think late July will work.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next