365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Making the commitment...

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Making the commitment...

Post  Julie on Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:54 pm

I'm with you on plans and goals helping with motivation. I hope the 10K training goes well!
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:58 pm

Three firsts...

Yesterday I did my first group run and did my first double.  Today I dusted off my bike and went for my first bike ride this year.

I'm a member of the local MADras Runners but their group runs are Wednesdays at 6:30pm and that doesn't normally work for me.  Yesterday I was going to be at the pool (where they start their runs) to watch my granddaughters swim meet and I knew it would finish at around 6:30 so I wore my running clothes.  Unfortunately know one close to my pace showed up...it was all the fast folks.  Since I had already done my normal Wednesday run and only planned on a short, slow run we agreed that I would run along with them on their warm up mile and then turn back while they continued their run.  Even their warm up was challenging for me and I was afraid I'd be pretty sore today but I felt fine this morning.  I don't think it's going to work to run with them often but it was fun to meet some new folks and say 'hi' to the ones I already knew.  I don't plan on making a habit of doing doubles either...

I started the morning with a challenging swim.  After our warm up we swam 25 yard sprints.  It was hard but fun!  Finished the day by dusting off my bike and pumping up the tires.  It was a short and very chilly ride but fun.

Can you tell I'm starting to feel a bit better and enjoying activity again.  Very Happy
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:08 pm

Wow...I didn't realize it had been that long since I checked in!

I've had a few good runs...and a few awful runs...but I've been running. 

We're very busy on the farm right now and I'm still helping Mom and dealing with my Aunts affairs (we had to move her to a memory care facility).  I had to cut a couple runs short and missed one run entirely in the last couple weeks but I've at least been getting out there.  Managed to fit in most of my swims as well.  Keeping up on the core/strength work.  Haven't been motivated to do the stretching that I should.

They just announced the local 10K series dates.  (I placed 3rd last year)  The first race is May 3rd.  I am not going to be ready to run a competitive 10K.  It is going to be tough to participate knowing that I need to be cautious and run conservatively.

Our 18 month old grandson spent the last 24 hours with us.  Life is good.  Smile
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:55 pm

Today was a cross training day!

My training partner wasn't able to swim today so I was really able to push myself without worrying about leaving her behind.  The high school swim coach even congratulated me on my effort.

When I got home I realized that we were short handed on the crew that was planting carrots so I ended up helping for a couple hours.  Boy does that make you appreciate the work that the crew does for us!  It involves a lot of walking in soft dirt and a lot of twisting, turning and squatting.  We actually poke a few semi-truck loads of small carrots into the fields and will harvest the seed in September.  We have 60 acres to plant this year and planted 12 acres on our first day today.
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:58 am

With all that carrot planting, I think you will be more ready than you realize for those 10Ks.  I'm also going to end up running a couple of 10Ks soon - one in May and one in June.  I just realized that it is not a distance that I run much anymore - could be interesting.

Glad to see that you are back in the routine, Nancy.  Keep it up.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:01 pm

My birthday weekend didn't quite go as planned and ended very poorly.  My Mom suffered from a fainting spell/seizure or something during Izzy's gymnastics meet.  We ended the weekend in the emergency room.  She recovered quickly and they think it was the result of some medication changes in recent days but will continue with some testing.  She was home and doing well when I left her last night. 

Managed to squeeze in a short run in place of the scheduled long run on Saturday and my run today just did not seem like a high priority.  I'm torn between the need to remain active for the mental and physical benefits that activity provides for me and the need to spend more time with family right now.
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:15 am

Mom seems to have recovered well from her episode.  Hope the medication changes were the only issue.

On the running front...we've been planting carrots but I've been getting a few miles in here and there.
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:17 am

Oh Nancy, I just saw that post on Nick's blog about being in Boston next year - yeah!!!

Word of advice, book a hotel room in a week or two for next year.  You can always cancel, but you will get a good rate now.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:37 am

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Oh Nancy, I just saw that post on Nick's blog about being in Boston next year - yeah!!!

Word of advice, book a hotel room in a week or two for next year.  You can always cancel, but you will get a good rate now.

Thanks for the advice Michele...I planned on asking you a couple questions when it came time to plan but didn't realize I needed to be thinking about it this soon.

What day should I plan to fly in and fly out?  I don't want things to be to rushed but it is a busy time for us so won't have time to do any sightseeing this trip.

My daughter is planning to come with me.  Where would you recommend staying for my first...and only Boston Marathon experience?  What area and/or hotels would work best?  I want to keep things as simple and easy as possible.
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:49 am

Nancy - since you come in from the west coast, you might want to consider coming in on Friday so that you can adjust to the time and then leave on Tuesday morning.  The hotels around Copley are the most expensive but the Buckminster in Kenmore Square is more reasonable as is the Park Plaza and some of the hotels near the wharf and Financial district.  The Buckminster is a quaint old hotel with a great location, but it is nothing fancy.  

If you fear that staying in town is a bit too pricy (and it can be) you can stay in Cambridge or at any hotel on or within walking distance of the subway (the "T").  It just depends how close you want to be to everything that goes on.  Next year might be the year that the Expo is out on the water, so a hotel on the silver line will work too.  Not sure if that info is on the website yet.

Another option is to use Marathon Tours as I hear that there package deals are quite well priced.  I have never used them, but I know the city.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:52 pm

Thanks Michele,
I took a quick look at the Buckminster...I like historic hotels so that may work well.  I expected things to be expensive but must admit that I wasn't expecting things to be that expensive.  I would like to stay relatively close in so I'll probably bite the bullet and book something in the next few days.  I have enough miles for a free airline ticket so that will help.

Thanks again for the heads up and the advice.
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:20 am

Hotel reservations made.  I got a bigger room at Buckminster so that if my Mom is able to go with me I'll have room.  I also booked a smaller, less expensive room at Hyatt Regency in case it's just my daughter and I.  That was the easy part...now I just need to make sure I'm ready to train and ready to run.

Finished carrot planting last week...irrigation water is running and will be for the next 7 months.  Managed to fit in 3 runs last week plus the March of Dimes walk with my granddaughter.  Nothing to long yet and nothing fast but it's starting to feel a bit better.

The first 10K in the series is on Saturday.  It's going to be tough to participate knowing I'm going to have to really take it easy...I'm just not ready for a fast 10K yet.
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:14 pm

Yeah!  I've got to book my hotel as well.  Thanks for the reminder
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Sun May 04, 2014 11:51 am

nkrichards wrote:I think it's about time I made this commitment public.

2013 Hamilton Road2Hope Marathon (Nov 3rd)  I'm committed to training smart and getting to the starting line well prepared both mentally and physically.

I keep telling myself that a time isn't important but I'm lying.  When I ran my first marathon in 2009 my BQ time was 4:05:59.  I was close in 2010 and thought it was within reach.  My BQ time is now 4:10.  I haven't decided on a goal time yet...I need to concentrate on getting to the starting line ready to go.

What's different this year?

I'm older and I feel older.

I contacted a trainer. Very Happy 
She evaluated my weak areas and developed a core/strength workout that I've been doing pretty regularly since last November. 
She looked at my training plan and tweaked it for me. 
-Speedwork more like Hanson's strength workouts.  I was running way to fast and resting way to long.
-She insisted that I warm up and cool down.
-Slight increase in mileage...significant increase in cross training efforts.
-I suggested running more often...I'm a 3 day a week runner...but she said based on my history, goals etc that she thought I should stick to 3 days a week.  It seems to be working.

Where am I today?
I ran a PR 10K on July 4th (50:43).  It was only a PR by a few seconds but I did it without my son there to pace me and it was 5 seconds faster than 2010.
I recorded a PR triathlon yesterday. Very Happy It was an awesome race that was a real confidence booster!

On one hand I'm really pleased with where I'm at and realize that PRs are still possible for me at this point in life.  On the other hand I'm really nervous about the marathon.  I've intentionally slowed my training runs...in the past I was doing them way faster than suggested and then taking way to much time to recover between runs.  With the slight increase in mileage, the increased cross training and the addition of core/strength work I'm not able to complete the training runs as fast as I did in 2010.  It seems to be working but I'm still nervous. Question 

I'm not able to post and follow your blogs as often as I'd like but I'll do what I can.

Thanks for listening...Nancy
 I wasn't able to take the time to evaluate 2013 and set new goals.  I think it's time to do that and close out this blog

I did make it to the starting line.
I did run a BQ.
I did run under my old age group BQ.

Pretty happy with my running year.  Very Happy 

More importantly I learned a lot.

I can still accomplish reasonable goals even though I'm getting older.
Core/strength work is important.
Warmup/cooldown is important.
I can be successful running 3 days a week with an appropriate training plan and lots of cross training.

I'm now satisfied and happy to move on to new goals.  I enjoyed my journey to a BQ time.  I don't see marathons as a big part of my running life in the future.  It's time to move on.
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Mon May 05, 2014 12:34 pm

nkrichards wrote:
nkrichards wrote:I think it's about time I made this commitment public.

2013 Hamilton Road2Hope Marathon (Nov 3rd)  I'm committed to training smart and getting to the starting line well prepared both mentally and physically.

I keep telling myself that a time isn't important but I'm lying.  When I ran my first marathon in 2009 my BQ time was 4:05:59.  I was close in 2010 and thought it was within reach.  My BQ time is now 4:10.  I haven't decided on a goal time yet...I need to concentrate on getting to the starting line ready to go.

What's different this year?

I'm older and I feel older.

I contacted a trainer. Very Happy 
She evaluated my weak areas and developed a core/strength workout that I've been doing pretty regularly since last November. 
She looked at my training plan and tweaked it for me. 
-Speedwork more like Hanson's strength workouts.  I was running way to fast and resting way to long.
-She insisted that I warm up and cool down.
-Slight increase in mileage...significant increase in cross training efforts.
-I suggested running more often...I'm a 3 day a week runner...but she said based on my history, goals etc that she thought I should stick to 3 days a week.  It seems to be working.

Where am I today?
I ran a PR 10K on July 4th (50:43).  It was only a PR by a few seconds but I did it without my son there to pace me and it was 5 seconds faster than 2010.
I recorded a PR triathlon yesterday. Very Happy It was an awesome race that was a real confidence booster!

On one hand I'm really pleased with where I'm at and realize that PRs are still possible for me at this point in life.  On the other hand I'm really nervous about the marathon.  I've intentionally slowed my training runs...in the past I was doing them way faster than suggested and then taking way to much time to recover between runs.  With the slight increase in mileage, the increased cross training and the addition of core/strength work I'm not able to complete the training runs as fast as I did in 2010.  It seems to be working but I'm still nervous. Question 

I'm not able to post and follow your blogs as often as I'd like but I'll do what I can.

Thanks for listening...Nancy
 I wasn't able to take the time to evaluate 2013 and set new goals.  I think it's time to do that and close out this blog

I did make it to the starting line.
I did run a BQ.
I did run under my old age group BQ.

Pretty happy with my running year.  Very Happy 

More importantly I learned a lot.

I can still accomplish reasonable goals even though I'm getting older.
Core/strength work is important.
Warmup/cooldown is important.
I can be successful running 3 days a week with an appropriate training plan and lots of cross training.

I'm now satisfied and happy to move on to new goals.  I enjoyed my journey to a BQ time.  I don't see marathons as a big part of my running life in the future.  It's time to move on.

I'd call that an extremely successful year. Many congratulations!
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic View next topic Back to top