365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12 more months

+15
Mrs. Schuey
Dave P
John Kilpatrick
jon c
Alex Kubacki
Schuey
Michael Enright
Michele "1L" Keane
JohnP
Penelope
nkrichards
Jerry
Nick Morris
Mark B
Julie
19 posters

Page 10 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

12 more months - Page 10 Empty Re: 12 more months

Post  ounce Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:21 pm

I will fess up and ask you where the 50K is.  And if you need me to track some weather to the nth degree or just in highs 'n lows, I can do that.  Welcome to taper!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:44 am

19 days!
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:47 am

Nice work, Julie and happy taper!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:46 am

ounce wrote:I will fess up and ask you where the 50K is.  And if you need me to track some weather to the nth degree or just in highs 'n lows, I can do that.  Welcome to taper!

Thanks! Sadly (?) it finishes in Lincoln so every time I check our weather I am also checking the race day weather. 18 days now! I lost too many hours of sleep last night trying to figure out when I have to leave for the bus that drops us off at the start (it's on a trail so to avoid congestion they're only allowing people to take the bus), trying to figure out when my husband will meet me to nurse the babies. Funny the race director said he never had a person ask him where a good place to nurse her twins would be. 

Super tired from the sun I got on Sunday and the insomnia last night. Oh and already second guessing only running 10 miles the next 2 week ends long runs. I think the taper is working its magic on my brain.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:06 pm

Yeah, you're feeling the effects of Taper Madness, but your head will reign supreme.  Your training schedule is a guide, not a taskmaster.  I wouldn't even bother looking at a forecast until 7 days out because of so much fluctuation.  Even 7 days out can give you a notion as to extremes only.  Things don't really start to settle until 3 days prior, but I look at them, too.  Hard to practice the preaching.

So, do the babies tend to like getting fed immediately after or during a run as opposed to when you've not been running?  They probably feel so STARVED that they might not notice.

Continued success getting through the next 2-1/2 weeks!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:58 pm

I have to think not too many race directors have been asked that question before.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:19 pm

Jim Lentz wrote:I have to think not too many race directors have been asked that question before.

Haha, I know. Most people don't nurse twins let alone run 50Ks while doing so. They'll be fine, it's me I'm worried about. They eat tons of food but I will be in trouble/too much milk/uncomfortable/asking for mastitis if they go 10 hrs without nursing. We just have to coordinate with afternoon nap and really it'll probably be just a few miles from my house when I need them. I can't believe it's coming up this soon and then before you know it we get the time change and winter and ice and, well, never mind this is getting depressing!
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:50 pm

Julie wrote:
Jim Lentz wrote:I have to think not too many race directors have been asked that question before.

Haha, I know. Most people don't nurse twins let alone run 50Ks while doing so. They'll be fine, it's me I'm worried about. They eat tons of food but I will be in trouble/too much milk/uncomfortable/asking for mastitis if they go 10 hrs without nursing. We just have to coordinate with afternoon nap and really it'll probably be just a few miles from my house when I need them. I can't believe it's coming up this soon and then before you know it we get the time change and winter and ice and, well, never mind this is getting depressing!

Well this should keep your mind off taper madness - or at least the running aspect of it.

Last edited by Michele "1L" Keane on Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:28 pm

Well, got another thing to focus on for awhile: just got matched for preliminary blood work to be a potential bone marrow / pbsc donor for a man with blood cancer. I hope it works out! It sounds like the whole process can take awhile so it probably wouldn't be till after the 50K anyway but I'm hoping I can help. My husband and I both joined the registry this summer and only 1 in 200 will get matched so I definitely wasn't expecting a match so soon. Also a shameless plug to encourage any of you all to join the bone marrow registry.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:57 pm

Wow...nursing twins...running a 50K...and donating bone marrow!

The world could use a few more folks with can do attitudes like you.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:37 am

Thanks Nancy! I'm really hoping I can be  a match for the bone marrow donation. I had my blood draw today so within 60 days I'll know what the pt wants to do.

Otherwise, just in taper land. Second guessing every little soreness in my knees, checking the 10 day forecast a couple of times a day and baking muffins to eat on race day. The race starts at 11 so it will probably get hot. The race director said my friend estimated her time quite a bit faster than I did so she and I may be in different waves anyway. I don't really care either way. I need to tell her that we should feel free to leave one another if one of us is having a better day because I really just want to run my own race. I think she'll be OK with that. Tomorrow we get our wave announcement. 11 more days (and 21 minutes).  Very Happy
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:35 pm

Julie wrote:Thanks Nancy! I'm really hoping I can be  a match for the bone marrow donation. I had my blood draw today so within 60 days I'll know what the pt wants to do.

Otherwise, just in taper land. Second guessing every little soreness in my knees, checking the 10 day forecast a couple of times a day and baking muffins to eat on race day. The race starts at 11 so it will probably get hot. The race director said my friend estimated her time quite a bit faster than I did so she and I may be in different waves anyway. I don't really care either way. I need to tell her that we should feel free to leave one another if one of us is having a better day because I really just want to run my own race. I think she'll be OK with that. Tomorrow we get our wave announcement. 11 more days (and 21 minutes).  Very Happy
They have waves? How big is this race? Wow!
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:03 pm

220. The congestion really comes from the relay which is beginning earlier in the day and starts in Omaha. It's a 78 mile relay and they want people to finish around the same time for the post race area. Anyway, Jen and I are in the same wave so no worries there, I just have to tell her I want to run my own race and no offense if one of us leaves the other if one of us is feeling better than the other. There are just 2 waves beginning at 11 and 11:45.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:13 pm

Congrats on getting a possible donor match so quickly! What impact does a marrow donation have on your body? I know a blood donation can take a bit out of you, but I'm not sure if it's the same with this.

Good luck on the 50K! What's the course like?
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:33 pm

Thanks Mark! Well, if I can donate it should take 2-3 weeks to recover and could be pretty sore where they take the marrow (in the back of the pelvic bones, I believe). It's under general anesthesia. So it might take a little while to recover but as slow as it'll probably go it will be long past the 50K.
The course is mostly crushed limestone, some gravel , some hills and the last 10K is concrete. Mostly all bike path. It's on the MoPac which used to be the Missouri-Pacific rail road line, as far as I understand, and they made it into a huge bike/runner/multi-use path. People ride horses on it outside of the city. I think Lincoln is pretty highly rated in being cyclist friendly.

Oh, and just to confirm I'm in taper madness, my first thought this a.m. was that my race would now be in the 10 day forecast. Hoping it cools off. The last few days have been rainy and cool but I know that proves nothing for what it'll be like end of next week.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:33 am

3 easy miles this a.m., supposed to run 2 tomorrow then rest till Sat. Weather is looking pretty good, low 60s, maybe sunny, maybe a little cloudy.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:44 am

Julie wrote:3 easy miles this a.m., supposed to run 2 tomorrow then rest till Sat. Weather is looking pretty good, low 60s, maybe sunny, maybe a little cloudy.

Looks like things are lining up well for your race. Excited yet?
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:08 pm

Almost there!  What are you going to be doing to keep busy during those days of total rest later in the week?  Isn't taper grand?
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:35 pm

Yeah, actually getting a little excited! It's been so long since I've run a race other than Omaha a few weeks ago. Just hoping everything falls into place and my knee holds up. It's been fine but always my weak spot.

Keeping me busy - hmm....homeschooling my 5 yr old, caring for my toddler twins, baking and cooking from scratch, going to a pumpkin patch with my family tomorrow, I could always clean, too. Hmm.. I can't be bored!  Very Happy
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:12 pm

Yeah, no time to overthink the race. Wink

The weather looks to be consistent from Thursday to Monday, which looks to be nice for the race.  I looked at the website and it would appear that you might have a tailwind for much of the race?  Was it true the time limit is 7 hours?

The knee WILL cooperate. king
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:27 pm

ounce wrote:Yeah, no time to overthink the race. Wink

The weather looks to be consistent from Thursday to Monday, which looks to be nice for the race.  I looked at the website and it would appear that you might have a tailwind for much of the race?  Was it true the time limit is 7 hours?

The knee WILL cooperate. king

Exactly!  Julie puts us all to shame!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:42 pm

7 hr time limit is right with a no questions asked time limit/ forced pick up to quit at mile 21. I should make it if nothing bad happens, though.  I never thought about a tail wind, that would be nice! The nice thing is that even if it is sunny,it's basically on trail so there will be some good shade. Omaha was sunny with no shade anywhere so that was tough. 

I don't  compete with people for who is busiest! I have people say "oh I thought 18 mos (or whatever) was close for babies! I can't imagine twins!" and I just say it is close, and it is busy. Everyone is pretty busy and having little kids is busy but great so I can't complain. Some day I will sleep again...haha.

Still thinking about a spring race but I think I want a few weeks with nothing on the schedule just to see how it feels. I won't go more than a marathon, though because this 50K training was a bit intense and the winter is my worst time to train with snow and ice. Preferably not too far of a drive from here, but we'll see.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:56 pm

Taper MADNESS!!!
Taper MADNESS!!!
Taper MADNESS!!!
Taper MADNESS!!!
Taper MADNESS!!!
Taper MADNESS!!!
Taper MADNESS!!!
Taper MADNESS!!!
Taper MADNESS!!!
Taper MADNESS!!!
Taper MADNESS!!!
Taper MADNESS!!!Taper MADNESS!!!Taper MADNESS!!!Taper MADNESS!!!Taper MADNESS!!!Taper MADNESS!!!Taper MADNESS!!!Taper MADNESS!!!Taper MADNESS!!!Taper MADNESS!!!Taper MADNESS!!!Taper MADNESS!!!Taper MADNESS!!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:48 pm

Yep! You got it! I love that we have a word for it.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:18 pm

The forecast on wind direction was Northeast  or East Northeast and I was remembering you're running West.  Hope that's still true.  Overcast.  I don't know how different actual is and I was pulling info for Lincoln.

My temperature forecasting was way off for Boston.  It seemed the actual temps were the reported temp + 10 degrees.

At least, for now, Thursday's weather is Friday's weather, which is Saturday's weather....subject to change. silent
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next