365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Speedway Boogie

+19
T Miller
John Kilpatrick
mountandog
ounce
Jerry
Dave-O
Penelope
Alex Kubacki
JohnP
Julie
Michele "1L" Keane
fostever
Nick Morris
Chris M
Mike MacLellan
Paula Sue
Mark B
Matt W
Schuey
23 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

New Speedway Boogie Empty New Speedway Boogie

Post  Schuey Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:08 pm

Please don't dominate the rap, jack, if you've got nothing new to say.
If you please, don't back up the track this train's got to run today.
I spent a little time on the mountain, I spent a little time on the hill
I heard someone say "Better run away", others say "better stand still".

Now I don't know, but I been told it's hard to run with the weight of gold,
Other hand I have heard it said, it's just as hard with the weight of lead.

Well the time has come to were I have decided to become more serious about blogging about my running again. I figured no better day to start a new blog and new journey of running dreams then on my daughter’s 1st birthday.

It’s amazing that a year has already past since her birth, then again it’s really not since time truly doesn’t stand still and life is lived everyday. That made me start thinking more serious about my own ambitions and dreams of not only becoming a better running but the best runner I can be today! Over the last year Kristina has really taught me how to live in the now and appreciate every moment of it. 

Lisa and I have witnessed a lot of first and learned that as time goes on Kristina is growing up and we can never bring those moments back. Kinda help put it into the context of running, that what I can do today or this week, month or year will soon come to past. Therefore instead of looking into the future and can’t waiting for it to be here my daughter has taught me at her young age to enjoy the present and don’t let a minute of it go by. Because if I do I will never be able to bring that moment back again and you just don’t know if you will have that chance to experience that moment in time again. 

Who can deny, who can deny, it's not just a change in style?
One step down and another begun and I wonder how many miles.
Things went down we don't understand, but I think in time we will.
Now, I don't know but I was told in the heat of the sun a man died of cold.
Keep on coming or stand and wait, with the sun so dark and the hour so late.
You can't overlook the lack, jack, of any other highway to ride.
It's got no signs or dividing lines and very few rule to guide.

With that being said I am running in the present but also realize that 17 weeks from now I will be taking another crack at running the JFK 50 miler. Although I can’t wait for that day, I truly can because I’m now enjoying the moment of allowing running to guide me, teach me and to help grow my mind, body and spirit stronger. It only took one year of Kristina being on this earth to teach daddy a valuable lesson but hey better late then never (I’m sure this is only the first of many she will teach daddy)! 

What I hope to accomplish out of this blog is for not only myself to learn a thing or two about running, training, racing and nutrition but for you my fellow running mates to learn with me. I hope that you all help teach me a thing or two about the above and through that process not only will I and you become better stewards of the sport that we are truly fond of but just maybe we can all tighten are bonds of friendship and enjoy the time in this space we call life. 

I saw things getting out of hand, I guess they always will.
Now I don't know but I been told
If the horse don't pull you got to carry the load.
I don't know whose back's that strong, maybe find out before too long.

I have to be honest from the standpoint of running the timing of Kristina could not have been any better. I truly needed to take some time off from running and reflect on the the achievements that I accomplished over the past few years. Not only that my body really need the break and Kristina was just the right recovery medicine I needed. Over the last year I really didn’t train hard and didn’t come close to scoring a PR in any race that I ran. The funny thing is without a single PR I really enjoyed running for the first time since my streak of great race times. Funny how that all works out, I guess it goes back to what she has taught me “live in the present and enjoy the moment”! Now that I have had time to look back on it all running was so great cause I was doing that, training, racing in the present and enjoying the moment. 

Some how along the way I forgot about that and started putting more and more pressure on myself and running and racing started becoming less fun. I tried and tried to get back on track started another blog after my grandpa died and tried to use that as a motivating factor. That didn’t work and again it was all because of a little girl name Kristina that was born on 7/29/12 that has taught and reminded me that it was never a lack of motivation but rather a lack of running in the present and enjoying the natural act of running. That is what I love about running and as I look back that is why I succeeded my dreams and goals. There was never any pressure, it was just go out and enjoy and be happy with all outcomes! As I look back at it all I’m truly amazed and blessed at what I have accomplished in my short running career as an adult, truly at awe now that I have taken the time to look back at it. Wish I would have taken more time to do that when I was accomplishing those dreams and goals.  

So, as I take my new step into running, training and racing in the present and enjoying the moment, I’m now looking forward to what each run and race brings again. I look forward to sharing my running with you all and for all of us to motivate one another to become better at what we love doing and that is running and living! Through this new way of thinking about running, training and racing I know this running funk I have been in will one way or another.....

One way or another, one way or another,
                                                                  One way or another, this darkness got to give. 
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

New Speedway Boogie Empty Re: New Speedway Boogie

Post  Matt W Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:55 am

Hey Buddy,

Good to see another blog from you.  Today on my run I was just wondering how your training was going and what races you were gearing up for.  It will be fun to see you rediscover that running love you always have burning inside of you.

Happy birthday to that girl of yours too.  It's fun seeing pictures of you, her, and Lisa.  You can tell how proud of Kristina both of you are.  

Best of luck in your future training!!!
Matt W
Matt W
Poster
Poster

http://www.redrockrunningcompany.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:39 am

“Live in the present and enjoy the moment.”

Great words to live by, and so very true. Great to have you back, Schuey!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula Sue Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:17 am

So many things in life get in the way of our passion until we begin to wonder is it our passion that is getting in the way of life.  Kristina will continue to grow so very fast.  A child is an adventure in itself.  Enjoy it now...before you know it you will be walking her down the isle and giving her away to a new life without you.  It comes so very fast...too fast.  You can always run...but you can't grab back missed years of growth...missed moments of change.  Your adventure as parents has just begun.
Paula Sue
Paula Sue
Poster
Poster

http://oceanbreeze-lake-erie.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:40 am

AM Pre-run breakfast:

Smoothie
2 organes
1 banana
1 peach
1 cup of strawberries
4 tablespoons of Hemp protein
1 scoop of Pea protein
1 teaspoon Spirulina
1/4 cup of distilled water

3 Hammer Premium Insurance Caps
1 Hammer Mito Cap
3 Hammer Race Cap Supreme

Now it's time to get ready for the AM run of 40 to 50 mins.

Afternoon run before work is 1:20mins to 1:30mins with Fartlek 8 x 1/2 with 1/2 recovery between.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:46 am

Schuey!  Good to see you back around.  Funny that both of us seem to have found motivation around the same time.  I agree with the other posters - time for updated photos of your girl!  Smile
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:23 am

Always enjoy Schuey Blogs and glad to see another one starting. 

I was just telling someone the other day about how you went to all of the White Sox home games (except one) for a whole season AND went to some road games and road playoffs as well and the guy refused to believe me that you had really attended 80 home games! 

Great seeing you and the family last week.  I'll let you know as soon as the next visit is booked.  Likely right after Labor Day.  And then you gotta work on Jennifer to get her to OK me doing the work/fun combo of coming out there for Chicago Marathon weekend and doing some of the race as a long run.   Then of course we'll see you guys here for JFK after that.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:48 am

Welcome back to blogging and running the way that it is meant to be.  I am glad that you are feel good about running again.  I don't think that there is a better way to motivate your then with the joy that you are getting from little Kristina.  Good luck in all of your endeavors and I look forward to following along with you!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:11 pm

Hey you "working man," good to see you're using a Pigpen era song as your training theme! Saw DSO @ the Park West a few weeks ago and they played a set from April 1972 Wembley Empire Pool, SWEET! Also, good to see you're getting that required hemp protein! Oh, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY KRISTINA!!
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:58 pm

Alright time for a little update on my running for Monday and Tuesday. As I go along with this blog I will I also post some entries on the meaning of some of the data that is posted. Also I have designed my training around time and not distance but since many of you track training by distance and pace I will include that data for reference. I don't watch distance or pace while out on my runs, my watch is set to a page that only displays time. Only after the run do I see the data for distance and pace. 
The only exception is I track distance when doing certain runs example Fartlek and Steady State runs but I don't track the pace. I have a set range for the pace but I still run that off feel and only know if I have achieved my pace goals after the run is over. So with that being said here is what my training has looked liked the last two days.

I also plan to explain more about the nutrition products that I take pre/post runs. 

Monday 7/29

Objective: run 1 hour easy

Results: Time 1 hour, distance 8.25 miles, pace 7:16, Avg. HR 75%, Training Effect 3.1

Goal achieved for today's run!

Weather: 68 degrees, 12mph ENE wind, 68% humidity and 57 degree dew point

Tuesday 7/30

AM Run

Objective: 40 to 50 minutes Recovery pushing Kristina in the BOB Stroller

Results: Time 50 minutes, distance 6.28 miles, pace 7:58, Avg. HR 74%, Training Effect 2.9

Goal achieved for the AM run!

Weather: 72 degrees, 4mph SSE wind, 61% humidity and 58 degree dew point

Pre-run Nutrition: 3 Hammer Race Cap Supreme capsules

Post-run Nutrition: 12oz. Vega Sport Recovery Accelerator drink, 1 Hammer Xobaline tablet and than lunch (will post this later)

PM Run

Objective: 1hr:20mins to 1hr:30mins Fartlek run ( 8 x 1/2 mile at 6:27 or faster and 1/2 mile recovery between)

Results: Time 1:21:48, distance 11.60 miles, pace 7:03, Avg. HR 79%, Max HR 86%, Training Effect 3.8

Fartlek reps pace: 
#1(.50) time 3:12.6 pace 6:26 recovery .50 pace 7:24
#2(.50) time 3:11.2 pace 6:22 recovery .50 pace 7:23
#3(.50) time 3:10.5 pace 6:21 recovery .50 pace 7:12
#4(.50) time 3:11.5 pace 6:22 recovery .50 pace 7:25
#5(.50) time 3:10.8 pace 6:21 recovery .50 pace 7:18
#6(.50) time 3:09.2 pace 6:20 recovery .50 pace 7:26
#7(.50) time 3:06.2 pace 6:17 recovery .50 pace 7:14
#8(.50) time 3:02.7 pace 6:05 began cool down home 

Goal achieved for today's fartlek run! 

Weather: 72 degrees, 5mph SSE wind, 69% humidity and 60% dew point

Pre-run Nutrition: 3 Hammer Race Cap Supreme capsules and 8oz Vega Sport Pre-Workout Energizer drink

Post-run Nutrition: 12oz. Vega Sport Recovery Accelerator drink, 1 Hammer Xobaline tablet, 2 Hammer Premium Insurance capsules, 1 Hammer Mito capsule and 16oz Vega Sport Electrolyte Hydrator drink and than dinner (will post this later)
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:40 pm

Oh thanks for the Schuey blog!  And a special Happy Birthday to that wonderful, beautiful little girl of yours!  Enjoy and relish in it as before you know it, they are 20!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:28 am

The week is cruising along pretty well. I did have an unplanned day off this week, in the past I would have said that I hate it when that happens. In the case of the miss double on Thursday it's all good and for good reason. First off I got to bed a little later than normal around 2:45am  (normally I fall a sleep around 1:30ish) and second since Lisa ended up working late on Wednesday night I took the early morning shift of getting up at 7:30 with "Tank".

Yes you read that right, I call Kristina "Tank" why? Because instead of going around things or me/Lisa she just barrels over and through things! She is so awesome and fun! The more important reason for the miss run was Kristina's 1 year doctors appointment. Which I must add went off fantastic and she even showed Dr. Foster how see can walk all on her own. Afterwards we went for lunch and did some grocery shopping by time we got home it was time to get ready for work. Bummer to some extent because I really did want to run. 

Oh don't worry Mike I will be posting some recent photos of the "Tank", I have no problem showing her off. And thanks for asking to see new photos of her! 

Anyway here is what I did on Wednesday and Today:

Wednesday 7/31

AM Run

Objective: 40 to 50 minutes Recovery pushing Kristina in the BOB Stroller

Results: Time 50 minutes, distance 6.51 miles, pace 7:41, Avg. HR 76%, Training Effect 2.9

Goal achieved for the AM run!

Weather: 70 degrees, 2mph S wind, 80% humidity and 63 degree dew point

Pre-run Nutrition: 3 Hammer Race Cap Supreme capsules

Post-run Nutrition: 16oz Vega Sport Electrolyte Hydrator drink 

PM Run

Objective: run 1:30 to 1:40 Easy

Results: Time 1 hour 32 minutes, distance 12.31 miles, pace 7:29, Avg. HR 72%, Training Effect 2.5

Goal achieved for PM run!

Weather: 72 degrees, 18mph NE wind, 78% humidity and 65 degree dew point

Pre-run Nutrition: 3 Hammer Race Cap Supreme capsules and 8oz Vega Sport Pre-Workout Energizer drink

Post-run Nutrition: 12oz. Vega Sport Recovery Accelerator drink, 1 Hammer Xobaline tablet, 2 Hammer Premium Insurance capsules, 1 Hammer Mito capsule and 16oz Vega Sport Electrolyte Hydrator drink and than dinner 

Thursday 8/1

AM Run

Objective: 40 to 50 minutes Recovery 

Goal not achieved for the AM run! unplanned day off.

PM Run

Objective: 1:10 to 1:20 Steady State Run

Goal not achieved for the PM run! unplanned day off.

Friday 8/2

AM Run

Objective: 3 hours Long Run

Results: Time 3:25:21 minutes, distance 27.08 miles, pace 7:35, Avg. HR 78%, Training Effect 3.4

Goal achieved for today's run!

Weather: 85 degrees, 7mph NE wind, 73% humidity and 68 degree dew point

Pre-run Nutrition: 3 Hammer Race Cap Supreme capsules, 8oz Vega Sport Pre-Workout Energizer drink, 4 Hammer Anti-Fatigue Caps, 4 Hammer Endurance Amino capsuels

During the run Nutrition: 3 Vega Plant based Gels 45 minutes apart, 60oz Vega Sport Electrolyte Hydrator drink 

Post-run Nutrition: 24oz. Vega Sport Recovery Accelerator drink, 1 Hammer Xobaline tablet, 4 Hammer Endurance Amino, 7 Hammer Premium Insurance Caps

Also spent doing some active recovery and message on my lower back, butt, hamstrings, quads and calfs with my Complex Sport Elite unit. 
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:44 am

New Speedway Boogie Jnyu
New Speedway Boogie K7zl
New Speedway Boogie 5xoh

New Speedway Boogie Siql
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:53 pm

I know I know I need to post to my blog more! So, I guess I will start today with short post about my adventurous training run yesterday! Haha yeah training run that went terrible bad somewhere after half to 3/4 way done!

So what could have possible been doing?

I ran the North Country 50 miler in Wellston, Mi (Manistee National Forest). I was supposed to do this last year but due to the wonderful arrival of Kristina it was deffered to thus year. The purpose of this run was to run 50 as a training run for JFK and to help remind myself of what it is like to run 50 miles.

There was a lot of good and great learning experiences that came out of a day that was filled with some brilliant moments and well not so many brilliant moments! I will go into more detail later but put it this way I will not be using the new revised fueling plan I used yesterday for JFK!

Also for as tough as JFK is I have also learned that running each Ultra is different from one another. Which to me is what is attracting me towards them. Sure, the mileage is the same but the terrain, hills, elevation, steepness if hills, dirt, rock, road, tree roots and sand give each race there own unique challenge and toughness! It's not just the distance but the challenge the course also throws at you.

So, although yesterday didn't quit turnout the way I planned, I found a way to go places in my mind and body that I have never in my life had gone before! I have myself to blame first no taper, again change of fueling plan and well darn right cockyness put me in a situation that I have never found myself in before running! Now, with that being said in a very strange and crazy way I'm very glad I put myself in the predicament that I did! 

Now with as crazy as the day turned out and for it being nowhere what I was planning, some how I was still rewarded with a 3rd place age group and still finished in the top 30 (after dropping from 6th after 29 miles). I will add again place and time really didn't matter for this race. I was using it as learning tool and a lot of great lessons came out if a day that has me going to deep and dark places (to be continued)..........
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:29 pm

Great job! Congrats on the AG placement and overall just a great job. Trail ultras sound like their own special challenge but you're up for the task. I'm eager to read JFK reports from you and all the other 365ers.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:52 pm

Congratulations, Martin! I am curious what your new fueling plan was that didn't work so well - did Lisa bring you a pizza every 5-10 miles?
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:25 pm

JohnP wrote:Congratulations, Martin! I am curious what your new fueling plan was that didn't work so well - did Lisa bring you a pizza every 5-10 miles?
Haha, I wish I has pizza! Things would have most likely have been much better! We are still at camp, actually breaking everything down now. I took tonight off from work. Plan is to keep sharing more information about this run and in particular my not so successful revised fueling plan!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:51 pm

I believe you accomplished your goals, Martin by finding out what works and doesn't work and remembering what 50 miles feels like - and you ended up with hardware as well. Nice work!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:21 pm

This may not have been the most fun you ever had, but it sounds like you accomplished exactly what you needed in a training run. You learn a lot more in a bad outing than when everything goes perfectly. So in the spirit of learning, great job!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:37 pm

That's a sick course with the hills, sand mounds, and gnarly stuff. I came back covered in sand stuck to sweat and blood after taking a few headers. Topped it off with an extra 3/4mi or more because of lousy trail markings. Couldn't imagine doing 2 loops after that marathon. Congrats on the AG place. The ultra experience is certainly another kind of animal, aye!
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:58 pm

fostever wrote:That's a sick course with the hills, sand mounds, and gnarly stuff. I came back covered in sand stuck to sweat and blood after taking a few headers. Topped it off with an extra 3/4mi or more because of lousy trail markings. Couldn't imagine doing 2 loops after that marathon. Congrats on the AG place. The ultra experience is certainly another kind of animal, aye!
 Dude that course is sick, I loved it even though it is very challenging. I will have to take a picture of my T7's they were a mess after the race. Yes I actually wore my T7 racing flats on trails and in a 50 mile run. There were a lot of things that made the course hard but the sand mounds along the course just sucked especially going up that hill at the 25 and 49 mile marker in the race!! I have to admit one good thing was I didn't fall at all during this race (came close a couple of times.) 
Oh and on my second loop there was a part of the course that had to be rerouted due to a tree falling down. Want to talk about fucking with your head and seeing that and not remember running that way early really had me confused. To top it out the rerouted part was off trail and only made it hard to run. 

Yes the Ultras are a different monster but I love them. Meet some really cool people out and I have come to the realization that running 50 miles or more is not for the fainted heart and takes some type of bad ass attitude to deal with a whole lot shit. It's not just the distance but it is trailing racing, it is some much more demanding and harder then road racing. The more and more I run on trails and in these gnarly settings I find running on the roads easy. Not only that when running on roads you don't have to think it is some much easier mentally.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:15 am

Congrats on the 50M Martin.  3rd AG is awesome considering it's not a goal race.  Looks like you had a great learning experience out there.  Add to it your previous experience at JFK and you should be primed come November.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:04 pm

Congrats on the 50 and 3rd in the AG! I've never trail ran before, but I could see that it would be harder mentally too besides just physically, since you really have to pay attention and probably can't get into auto-pilot so well.  Great pics of Kristina, she's a cutie!  

I love the philosophy of running and living and enjoying the here and now and not the future.  Your blog is a great reminder to us all of that.
The smoothies look delicious!
Penelope
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:06 am

Well now that some time has past since running the North Country 50 miler I had the time to truly reflect on the day and everything that took place.

First off I must say how awesome my wife is and if it wasn’t for her the day would have not happen. It is truly remarkable how she can juggle some many things at one time. She was at every spot on the course that I need her to be and even some extra spots when I really ed her. I needed her in moments of distress and her encouraging words and love is what got me to the end. Not only did she do a great job of crewing, she did it with taking care of Kristina and our dog in the process!! Truly a champ!!Ultras are both new to her and myself. As I learn more and more about them, Lisa continues to learn more and more about being a great crew member. I never knew how much really goes into the day and all the elements that make for a successful ultra race. We are both learning and I have the confidence as time goes on we will make a great team and will succeed in the goals we set fourth for these events.

As for the other good things that came out of the day I learned that I can improve and will have the chance to succeed at these 50 mile races and even longer. I have stopped to reminded myself that this is a new journey and it is a new learning process, all good things in all good time. It really is like learning running all over again. I have learned that these events are truly a different animal then running a marathon and from running on roads. I again learned the valuable lesson that running a race on trails takes a completely different mind set. 

Pacing is completely different then running on the roads, over the years I feel that I have been pretty good at mastering the job of running even pace in road events. With that being said running a trail race and 50 mile races the mind set has to be a little different. In order for me to master the even pace philosophy on the trails I must rewire myself to learn when to hold back on the pace and when to step on the gas. Another words I can’t truly run close to even paces each mile but have to learn to adjust the pace within each mile. Since running on dirty, sand, rocks and stepper uphills and downhills the mind set has to be there to adjust things more often and trust my ability to do so and to know when to hold back. The other key thing I learned is trust in my nutrient plan and if it’s not broke don’t fix it!!! This was one of the major key elements to why the day turned from a great one into survival mode. 

As I stated a few weeks back I decided to change my nutrient plan for NC along with the change in nutrient, attacking the course to aggressively and not tapering the day became longer then aspected. Along with being truly scared for the first time in a race. Throughout my distance running I have enjoyed a lot of successful races. Sure I have had my learning moments along the way but nothing comes close to what I went through at NC this past year. 

By time I knew I was in bad situation it was to late. To be honest if it wasn’t for Lisa things could have been a lot worst for me. There was a moment in the race when pretty much all my sensible thinking was not there but Lisa was smart enough to realize that I was in a bad place. During this time not only were her words of encouragement handy but her logic to help minimize the damage was spot on. She was smart enough to know that the nutrient plan I was on was not working, she was smart enough to start giving me the things that worked in the past. Sure we were late in delivering the necessary supplements and fluids (not her fault but mind again good thing she was smarter than me to adjust) but again that is part of the learning curve. The important thing is she was smart enough to see that I was not thinking correctly and in order for me to finish things needed to change. Sure the words of encouragement helped but what I need was to limit and delay the damage that was already done and stop the bleeding. Lisa was there to do that and because of her I was able to make it to the finish. 

I have never DNF in a race and I don’t ever plan on it but on that Saturday at NC I was within steps and moments of DNFing!!! With Lisa’s help I was able to regain some of my knowledge and thinking and together we put in motion a game plan that would help me finish and fight another day. See, I’m a truly believer that future success comes more from present failures more times then from past success. This day was one of those moments and because of my failures on this day I believe that I will have better success in the future. I also know even with that not every race will end with the time I want but at least it will get me one step closer to where I want and need to be. 

For many of you that don’t know I’m a big fan of Hammer products. I have had great success in using their products and believe in their philosophy of supplements while training and racing. So, why in the hell would I every think to do something completely different during a race/training run? The reason being is I wanted to see if what I was doing truly worked and if the Hammer products were truly part of the reason of my past success. Well, I think I found out the answer to that question this past August! I guess you all know what I did, I decided to not use my normal Hammer nutrient plan. What I decided to use Vega gels, Coconut water and also coconut water with Hammer Fizz! What a jackass I completely made the biggest mistake by not taking in nearly enough protein as the race went on!!! I also found out that the coconut water with Fizz was not such a great idea!! This completely made my stomach upset and I found myself puking 3 times during the race. Due to the hot weather I also ended up having my electrolytes unbalanced. With a mix of unbalanced electrolytes and not nearly enough protein, I ended up experiencing the most unbelievable cramps in every muscle from my waist down (really I never had cramps in my ass before!). My mind wanted to run but my body would not allow me to do it. It even got to the point to were when walking I was cramping. I would end up stopping and stretching and then would walk and then run. I would ended up repeating this for the rest of the race. I was in so much pain it was surreal!

I can remember seeing Lisa at mile 38 and crying on her shoulder and telling her I was done! I just wanted to stop and accept the fact that this day was going to be my first DNF! My mind was spent, I truly believed that I had reached my breaking point and I had no more to give, I was defeated. For the first time not only did my body give in on me I was giving in on myself and my so tough mental toughness really wasn’t that tough! It was in that moment when Lisa looked me in the eyes and told me “stop feeling sorry for myself! You started this race and you only have one choice and that was to finish what I started”. I remember at this moment I asked her to go back to the car and grab me two Fizz tablets. Instead of putting them in water, I knew I needed the electrolytes in my system right now. So, I chewed both tablets and I started taking my Hammer gels along with Sustained Energy. With in moments my energy levels, my thinking were back and the cramps were now manageable. Over the next 11 miles I would repeat this process along with drinking just water and taking bananas from the aid stations. The cramping had stopped enough to where I was able to focus on each step and would finish with a mix of fast walking and running! Through Lisa and my daughter I went to place in my mind that I had never been before and was able to finish. Not only that as I approached the finish line I reached out for Kristina and ran across the finish line carrying her! It was the most amazing feeling in the world!! The day went from feeling sorry for myself, accepting I had failed and I was going to not finish my first race to be one of the proudest moments in running!! What a great day it turned out to be!! 

If I had to do it all over again I would go ahead and make the same mistakes again! Why? Because not only did a learn a lot about running 50 miles, I founded out what I’m made out of! I learned that I was not a quieter and gained a greater love for running and for accepting the challenge of running on trails. Most of all I was able to look into Lisa’s and Kristina’s eyes and see how much they love me and how much they believe in me not only as a runner but as a husband and father!! On this August day in the woods of the North Country trails I found myself and learn to believe and trust in myself and the power of mind over matter! Not only that I’m signed up for next year’s race and plan on taking what I learned to have a different outcome in 2014!

One step down and another begun and I wonder how many miles.

Things went down we don't understand, but I think in time we will.

Also for inquiring minds in my next post tomorrow I will layout the nutrient plan that I will be using for JFK 50 miler, yes most of it will be what I have done before with a few new things added. Before you all sigh it will only be adding some more Hammer products that I already take but I have done some research and believe that it will make my plan stronger and hopefully and stronger and more enjoyable race. 

Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:44 am

Thanks for sharing, Schuey.  A hard lesson learned, but with the love and support of Lisa and Kristina, you made it.  Of course, it does pretty much tell you why you shouldn't experiment during a race, but before hand, but we all make these mistakes and I believe that the elites do as well.  Now make sure it is in place for JFK as we don't need to witness a repeat and Lisa doesn't either Wink 

Excellent job toughing it out and getting it done!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum: