365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Paying The Iron Price

+15
Penelope
JohnP
Matt W
Schuey
Mark B
John Kilpatrick
mul21
dot520
Jim Lentz
Dave-O
Michael Enright
Kenny B.
Nick Morris
Michele "1L" Keane
Chris M
19 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Paying The Iron Price - Page 4 Empty Re: Paying The Iron Price

Post  JohnP Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:39 am

Sounds like a really great time, a good way to end the summer.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:06 am

Sounds very relaxing!! Definitely jealous...I would take a beach path run, because that means that I am near the beach.  Saying that already puts a smile on my face Smile

Have fun!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:40 pm

Kind of a rainy day here which is unusual.   I did my 10 miler this morning as planned.  Man that was boring.  I need to find something other than sportscenter to put on one of the TVs hanging there.  As much fun as it was to see ARod plunked, it got old after 75+ minutes of highlights.  Usually when I run on a mill, I watch TV shows.  Strongly prefer that over sports which have too many ads and stop/start stuff that makes the time go by so slowly.  But a good run generally.  I had forgotten that the gym here literally uses the same model of treadmills I have at home.  

With that done, the rest of the day has been reading, pool, hot tub and ice cream.   No ocean for me yet. Jennifer took Juliet running on the beach this morning and we'll both take her on a long walk out there later.  She's in dog heaven being able to crash around in the waves and chase gulls.  

Same plan tomorrow.  10 easy miles to kick off an easy day.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:45 am

Another day in paradise at the beach.  Just beautiful weather.  Seems weird to be doing all of my running inside but that's what works for me down here.  Up early, a couple of miles on the bike to the tennis club where the treadmills are, watch ESPN and run 10 miles, bike home and have breakfast with the family and start the day which is pretty much just relaxing full-time as an agenda.   A great routine!   Maybe I will double one of these days and take Juliet because she misses running with me.  She's loving the beach runs early am with Jennifer but Juliet flipped out when she saw me bike away off to the gym and wriggled out of her leash and harness to chase after me.  I owe her a run.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:25 pm

Lazy today.  Got a late start and then work intruded before I could finish the planned 10.  Did 7.   But then later was in the waves body surfing for 90 mins and that sure wiped me out.   Back on the plan tomorrow I hope with 10.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:42 am

I would say an hour and a half of body surfing is some really dynamic x-training, especially with the surf down there.

Enjoy the vacation!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:33 pm

Laziness claimed a couple of miles from me again today!  Not a good trend.  8 miles total.  I did do the last 2 at 6:44 to try and make up for the shorter distance.  Tomorrow is a planned 10 but so was Wednesday and Thursday!  Tennis at 4pm today will be my cross training although maybe some more fun in the waves too.  I've not been in the pool or ocean yet today.  Too lazy to even be lazy in the water!  Last night was date night so we left Cassidy with the family and just the two of us went out for dinner.  Very fun.  Now tonight my brother does the same thing and we watch their two kids.  Not as fun!  I kid, I kid.  It will be a good time.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:53 pm

Did the 10 as planned today.  9 at 8:34 and 1 at 6:44.   Some guy turned off my Sportscenter on the TV and put it to Who Wants to be a millionaire   Didn't even ask.   I guess he saw I was wearing earphones and thought I was music only and not music and TV.  Or he just really needed to see Meredith Vieria.  Made the 10 miles go by so slowly not having anything on I wanted to watch.  But other than that an easy and uneventful run.  Need to wake up super super early tomorrow to do 20.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:14 pm

Outrageous that you were denied SC! You should have flown into a fit of rage and conked him over the head with some free weights.

I was on the tm at the Y across from work one evening, and that line of mills features a little personal tv for each one. But there are only a few remote controls, and you need one of those to change the channel. I didn't bother to look for a remote, because the tm I got on already had the right channel on it. However, problems are always arising because of imprecise aiming of a remote control - too often someone using the tm next to you will change your channel unwittingly.

So, I'm happily watching the opening round of the NCAA (well, the real first round, not those play-in games they call the first round), which is one of my favorite things to do, and it only comes around once a year. I'm maybe 2 miles into a 6 mile run when a young woman hops onto the tm next to mine and flips the channel (she must have just hit the "channel up" button, because her screen ended up with some sitcom, while mine went to the Cartoon Network). So, I watched some really bad cartoon for about five minutes. She then flipped again, and I went to Nickelodeon. At least now I had Sponge Bob, which I like. Then, within 10 minutes of starting, she splits, leaving me with Sponge Bob. Of course, I could have just asked her for the remote, but I really didn't want to deal.

Good thing the game wasn't close, or I would have conked her with some free weights.
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:40 pm

Michael Enright wrote:Outrageous that you were denied SC! You should have flown into a fit of rage and conked him over the head with some free weights.

I was on the tm at the Y across from work one evening, and that line of mills features a little personal tv for each one. But there are only a few remote controls, and you need one of those to change the channel. I didn't bother to look for a remote, because the tm I got on already had the right channel on it. However, problems are always arising because of imprecise aiming of a remote control - too often someone using the tm next to you will change your channel unwittingly.

So, I'm happily watching the opening round of the NCAA (well, the real first round, not those play-in games they call the first round), which is one of my favorite things to do, and it only comes around once a year. I'm maybe 2 miles into a 6 mile run when a young woman hops onto the tm next to mine and flips the channel (she must have just hit the "channel up" button, because her screen ended up with some sitcom, while mine went to the Cartoon Network). So, I watched some really bad cartoon for about five minutes. She then flipped again, and I went to Nickelodeon. At least now I had Sponge Bob, which I like. Then, within 10 minutes of starting, she splits, leaving me with Sponge Bob. Of course, I could have just asked her for the remote, but I really didn't want to deal.

Good thing the game wasn't close, or I would have conked her with some free weights.
This post makes me feel better to know that I'm not the only crazy person on a treadmill having completely random thoughts about who knows what while I'm running. Very Happy
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:19 pm

mul21 wrote:
Michael Enright wrote:Outrageous that you were denied SC! You should have flown into a fit of rage and conked him over the head with some free weights.

This post makes me feel better to know that I'm not the only crazy person on a treadmill having completely random thoughts about who knows what while I'm running. Very Happy
Just another reason (of the many) as to why I don't like using treadmills.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:09 pm

Not a very good ending to my week of running at the beach but my overall week was fantastic.  Plan was 20/10 Saturday-Sunday but I only did 10-16 the two days.  I missed some other miles during the week too so i think with a goal of 80 (6 10s and a 20) I did around 70.  Not bad.  Not ideal but relaxing and being lazy took precedence a couple of times.  I needed to get up crazy early on Saturday to get 20 in before our planned day and failed to wake in time.  Today I just didn't have that much time before we packed up and left.   The drive home sucked.  Usually takes under 6 hours but today was 8.  TONS of traffic on 95.  But what an awesome week.  So much fun and just a great week of unwinding.  We already reserved it for next year.  Sigh.  Work is going to be painful mentally tomorrow.  Depressing to even think about.  So I'll watch Clint Dempsey against Portland and not think about it!
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:43 pm

That's a damn solid week for being on vacation!
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:34 am

Back at work now and back to the normal routine.  Geez, I miss being at the beach!   Monday ended up being an unplanned OFF day.  Ooops.  Got too late a start to run before work, work was crazy and then I had a fantasy football draft at 9pm.  This is a keeper league so I had some of these guys already but this is my team in a 12-team standard scoring (1 point per reception) league where we do start two QBs:

QBs: Cam Newton, Jay Cutler

RBs: Doug Martin, LeSean McCoy

WRs: Larry Fitzgerald, Brandon Marshall, Steve Smith

TE: Owen Daniels

FLEX (RB/WR/TE): Stephen Jackson

D: Seattle

K: Justin Tucker

BENCH: Frank Gore (!!), Percy Harvin, Daryl Richardson, Vick Ballard, Mark Sanchez, Geno Smith, Rod Streater, Santonio Holmes, Jacoby Jones

One mistake I made was not taking Tony Gonzalez thinking he would be around for another 10 or so picks and that's when I took Seattle.  Then 5 TEs got taken and I ended up getting Daniels later.  Not as good as if I had just taken Tony G and then another top D later.   But other than that, I like this team to compete near the top.  Having one of Gore/Jackson/McCoy/Martin on the bench is kind of crazy and I'm tempted to deal but you never end up regretting having depth and I'll probably need it before the season is over.

Another keeper league draft tonight at 8pm so I got my run in this morning.  7 miles on the mill at work.   6 miles at 8:34 pace and 1 at 6:44.  Maybe it was the off day but I felt REALLY good for this run.  Granted, 8:34 pace never feels fast but this was like no effort at all and the 6:44 felt more "normal".  Must be a good response to the rest day after a fairly heavy week of running at the beach.  A guy in the gym commented that I must be a distance runner because he thought I had no extra or unneeded movement in my stride at all.  He said he wasn't used to seeing someone be so "still" while running.   I guess I'll take that as a compliment.

I think tomorrow will be a speed workout of some kind.  800s?  I should say "tempo" but I'm thinking 800s tomorrow and then maybe a tempo Friday.  Although I need to figure out what exactly my long run plan is this weekend.  Scott and I are talking about meeting up to run it together which would be a long drive for both of us to meet in the middle between DC and Pittsburgh.  But it sure is more fun to run a 20 with a buddy.  If I do that Saturday, maybe a tempo Friday.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:33 am

As a lifelong Bears fan, I have to say that doubling down on the Cutler/Marshall combination seems risky. Sure, if Cutler can avoid injury with a porous O line. Otherwise, he'll be sitting on the bench half the games and there'll be no one capable of completing a pass to Marshall. I hope it works out well for you, and not like I worry it will go!

And I like that guy's pick up line at the gym.Very Happy 
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:35 am

Michael Enright wrote:As a lifelong Bears fan, I have to say that doubling down on the Cutler/Marshall combination seems risky. Sure, if Cutler can avoid injury with a porous O line. Otherwise, he'll be sitting on the bench half the games and there'll be no one capable of completing a pass to Marshall. I hope it works out well for you, and not like I worry it will go!

And I like that guy's pick up line at the gym.Very Happy 
That is one QB/WR combo that I would want to avoid.  I prefer my Brees/Colston combo Smile
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:18 am

Lots going on this week.  THREE fantasy football draft (Mon, Tue, Wed night) and I still have one to go on Tuesday.  Being in 4 leagues is nuts.    In my draft Wednesday night, I rolled the dice on a bunch of boom/bust picks like Gronk and Vick.  I could win the league or I could finish in dead last.

Today, Jennifer was using our exercise room early so I ran outside for 3.5 miles while she finished up and then switched over to our mill to watch Dexter and finish up.  9 total.  Like I said earlier, I'm not loving this final season of Dexter.  Its a show I like and I'll of course watch through to the end but I think this season feels a bit played out and like we are rehashing old story lines.  I'm much more excited to get caught up on Breaking Bad and I've not yet watched any of the 2nd half of the final season (the final 8 that started recently) so DON'T tell me anything yet!

Tomorrow, I'm leaving my house at 5-something to drive to Cumberland, Maryland.  Why?   To meet Scott to do a 20 miler.   Crazy.  He lives in Pittsburgh full-time now (used to shuttle between Vienna and Pittsburgh) so we picked a halfway point.  We'll run 10 out and back on the very end of the C&O Canal Trail.  I've run other parts of the C&O Canal Trail with Kevin down at its other far end in Georgetown and this is waaaaaaaay at the other end.  2+ hour drive up, 20 miles, get some brunch, 2+ hours back.  Ah, the dumb things runners do...

Saturday night, Jennifer's best friend from HS is visiting us with her family.  They have 4 children, 2 girls and then they adopted 2 boys from Ethiopia.  The girls who are coming are apparently OBSESSED with One Direction and I gather there is some kind of movie featuring them coming out this weekend.  So the two moms and 3 girls are all going to that movie Saturday night.  There is no amount of money (well, that's not true but it would be a lot!) could you pay me to go a One Direction movie.  Instead, the Dad and I will take the two boys down to DC and the "Little Ethiopia" neighborhood down there.   There's actually a large contingent of Ethiopians living in DC and I believe its the largest concentration outside of Ethiopia itself.  There's about a 4 block section of town which has all of these completely awesome restaurants and shops so we'll take the boys out to dinner and wander around there.  We did the same last time they were in town.  They left the country when they were so young (before 2 years old) that they don't really understand the language anymore.  But they get a kick out of seeing everything and I'm always on board because I LOVE eating Ethiopian food!  Yum.  It will taste sweet after that 20 miler. 

And, hey, its a 3 day weekend.  Just realized that.  We have zero plans, having just done a vacation.  I'll take advantage of Monday and do maybe 10 miles (more?) outside.  Always nice to have a day off from work.  Maybe we'll hit the pool.  Cassidy starts 7th grade Tuesday.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:23 pm

I'm late to this blog, but catching up.  Enjoy the run along the C/O canal--I've heard its beautiful.  It's nice to have someone to do the long runs with!  Reading about your vacation makes me nostalgic for beach vacations as a kid--so fun.  No comment on the fantasy football as I've never tried to understand how that works, but have fun with it.  Keep up the great running!
Penelope
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:22 am

Chris, Chris, Chris.......Just wait until Cassidy wants to go to one of those concerts. It is a Dads duty to take her. Why do you think my hubby took my daughter to the Jonas Bros????
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:47 pm

20 miler in Cumberland, MD was OK.  Waking up and driving up there before the sun came up wasn't fun but uneventful.  By the time we got going, it was over 80 and soooo humid.  That definitely impacted me.  Overall it was 8:40 pace for 20 and my legs felt like no run had been completed but even at that slowish pace, I was completely torched energy wise and felt like crud through the last 6 or so.  I kept drinking fluids throughout and took 4 gels but it was like I just couldn't keep up with what I was sweating out.  Ugh.  Again, legs feel fantastic and the pace comes easy but these bonk and near bonks I've had throughout the Summer are very worrisome.   We went and had a good brunch and then another long drive back home to hang with our visitors.   They have 4 kids (14, 12, 9, 7) and for us with just our one its such a shock to the system to have 5 total running around causing chaos.  But a lot of fun and the Ehtiopian restaurant was awesome.  They headed out this morning and we've been doing errands and being lazy the rest of the day.  I need to get my run in.  Think I'll just do 7-8 watching TV.  With the day off from work tomorrow, I think I'll do 10 then.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:06 pm

It's the heat Chris.  I bailed on a 20 yesterday because it was so brutally humid.  It was only 75 when I left the house at 6:00 am, but I was completely saturated 6 miles in.  I stopped at the house at 10 to change clothes and went up to the Y to get in more miles but bailed after 3 because I was so wrecked from the early miles.  When it gets cooler, all this humidity running will pay off an it'll feel like nothing at all.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:56 pm

I had the same experience on Thursday morning, but you are right, not good for the psyche

Last edited by Michele "1L" Keane on Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:30 pm

Those conditions sound so nasty, Chris. Did you use any sort of salt tabs while you were out there? It wouldn't stop you from sweating a gallon, but at least it wouldn't leave you feeling depleted.

Take heart: autumn is on its way!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:03 pm

Gatorade and Endurolytes on Saturday for my blah 20 miler.  Maybe i should get some salt tabs.  Went easy (7) Sunday and (10) today.   Neither run felt too good coming off of the Saturday bonk.  Maybe I'm getting less good at being able to handle the heat and humidity combo as I age.  That's what it seems like.   Sunday I took like a 2 hour nap and then still has no problem sleeping 8 hours at night.  It wasn't like I haven't done a ton of runs that long in those conditions at much faster paces.  8:40?   No idea why that would cook me. Lets hope for cool weather when I race because I need it!  Now that I'm all caught up on dexter, I'm watching breaking bad's latest episodes.  Whoa!   That show is intense.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:15 pm

It's definitely the heat. Yesterday and today, I actually fell asleep at home in the afternoon as the runs wiped me out so much and I never take naps. I think we had such a cool summer temperature-wise that my body simply isn't acclimating to this warm weather.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next