365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New York State of Mind

+12
Alex Kubacki
Michele "1L" Keane
JohnP
Michael Enright
John Kilpatrick
fostever
Kenny B.
Chris M
Dave-O
Mark B
Nick Morris
mul21
16 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

New York State of Mind - Page 3 Empty Re: New York State of Mind

Post  mul21 Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:51 pm

Ugh.  Rough week for me.  I think all the exercise and work travel finally caught up with me.  I got in a ride on Monday morning before work because I went to the Cardinals Dodgers game that night.  While I was there, I climbed the 7-8 flights of stairs a couple times and was a little sore on Tuesday because of it, so the start of the interval work was a little rough but I eventually loosened up and got it done.

Wednesday was an easy 5 miles while I was in KC and the plan was for 11 with 7 @ MP on Thursday once I got home.  Well, my intentions were good, but I was cashed and took an hour and a half nap when I got home instead, so no running Thursday.  I think my body was trying to tell me something.  I got in an easy 16 mile ride on Friday with plans for an 18-20 mile run on Saturday morning.  I got out the door and felt my usual sluggish self for the first few miles, but hadn't loosened up and gotten that extra little pep in my step by mile 4, so I knew I was in for a long one.  Things didn't get worse, bu they didn't get better either and I bailed after one loop at 9 miles.  I completely took today off and have taken it pretty easy today, so hopefully next week will bring some refreshed legs and a solid week of training.

I'm mixing my week up a bit because of a 5K I'm running Saturday morning, so I'll likely do my longish run Tuesday (12 miles), do my tempo/MP work on Thursday and then run the 5K as speed work on Saturday with an easy day Sunday.  I'm going to try to work in a massage this week as well since I'm feeling a little tight in the normal problem areas as well, which also may have contributed slightly to the not so great week.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:53 am

One rough run/rough week shouldn't mean much to you - your training so far looks spot on.  Cycling seems to be really working for you.  I admire you for knocking out the interval training - I know they are not easy and take some digging deep.  Looks like you are close to moving from speed to strength intervals - I'll be curious to see what you think of them.  Plus, the Cardinals are imploding, which should bring a smile to your face Sad

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:48 am

All I can say, Jim, is smart man.  We really do need to listen to our bodies more as hard as it is to do!

Last edited by Michele "1L" Keane on Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:49 am

Ugh, sounds like not a very fun week.  I am glad that you listened to your body and didn't try to get everything in just for the sake of getting it in.  Hopefully you will bounce back strong this week.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:48 am

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:All I can say, Jim, is smart man.  We really do need to listen to our bodies more as hard as it is to do!
Yeah, I really wanted to keep going on the long run and get to at least 14, but I figured that wasn't really going to be of any benefit.

Nick Morris wrote:Ugh, sounds like not a very fun week.  I am glad that you listened to your body and didn't try to get everything in just for the sake of getting it in.  Hopefully you will bounce back strong this week.
 Eh, this too shall pass.  I got a massage last night and things are much looser now, so we'll see how the planned 12 miles goes tonight.

I did nothing again yesterday, but that was mostly due to a time crunch because I had to go to kindergarten orientation last night.  Abby starts on Thursday and is very excited about it.  She has her outfit all picked out and insists on packer her own lunch, which I find hilarious.  She's 5 going on 15.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:02 pm

Looks like a couple days off and a massage were the way to go.  I got in my planned 12 tonight at 8:20 pace with plenty of bounce in the legs on a very pleasantly cool evening.  I may skip the MP run Thursday and just do a nice easy 10-12 since I'm running a 5k Saturday morning.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:16 pm

mul21 wrote:Looks like a couple days off and a massage were the way to go.  I got in my planned 12 tonight at 8:20 pace with plenty of bounce in the legs on a very pleasantly cool evening.  I may skip the MP run Thursday and just do a nice easy 10-12 since I'm running a 5k Saturday morning.
Glad to hear that the legs bounced back nicely!!  Also think that it is wise to take it easy on the next run.  Your legs are gonna get a workout during the 5K anyways Smile
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:26 pm

Last week was an odd week of training for me due to Abby starting kindergarten on Thursday morning and the annual trip to Irishfest in Milwaukee, which includes a 5K on Saturday morning.  After the 12 miles on Tuesday, Wednesday ended up being a day off with all the getting ready for school the next day preparations and then I had a bit of a motivational issue getting out the door on Thursday so I only got in 8 of the planned 10 miles before dark.  I did get in an unplanned 4 miles with strides on Friday morning before taking off for Milwaukee (by the way, ugh, 6 hour drive from St. Louis to downtown Milwaukee, not my idea of a good time).

I had a few beers and was on my feet more than I'd like the night before racing, but that was expected, so it it was no surprise when I didn't have the freshest legs in the world on Saturday morning.  I was really hoping for a sub 21:00, but wasn't sure what to expect after not having raced in quite a while.  I went out a bit faster than I should have and clocked a 6:26 first mile, had to deal with a minor hill in the second mile for a 6:41, and then hit a pretty big wall at about 2.5 miles and barely hung on for a sub 7:00 3rd mile and came through the finish at 20:50.  Not bad, not great, but it does give me a good indication of where my fitness is, and that just a touch ahead of where I was last year at this time when I ran the same race about 5-6 seconds slower.

I took Sunday off after drinking just a little more Irish whiskey than I should have on Saturday night while serving drinks in the Jameson area at the fest.  $75 in tips and free drinks made it worthwhile though!

I went for a ride last night and probably pushed a little harder than I should have with a longish run coming up tonight, but I'll see how the legs feel once I get out there tonight.

I think I'm going to modify my schedule a bit and only do 1 workout per week, which coupled with riding and a couple of other sorta long to long runs should get me where I need to be and hopefully keep me healthy.  I'm really using this training cycle to experiment a bit since I know there's no PR to be had in NYC, so getting a better handle on what kind of routine will work for me is really the biggest goal this time around, along with getting in decent shape so I can put forth a good effort in November.  I'll run it as fast as I can, but what that will be remains to be determined at this point.

And here's a first day of school picture:

New York State of Mind - Page 3 PhotoNew York State of Mind - Page 3 1st_da10
New York State of Mind - Page 3 Photo
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:01 pm

So cute!  And nice 5K....
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:56 pm

She's adorable!

I haven't had any Jameson in close to 30 years - if I had been working the area, I wouldn't have earned any tips, but would have had plenty of Jameson!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:57 pm

Thanks guys!  I tend to think she's pretty cute myself.

Mixed bag this week that ended on a high note. 

Mon-rode 16 miles and probably pushed it a little harder than I should have which resulted in some residual fatigue on Tuesday.

Tues-had a 10 miler with a 2 x 3 tempo planned, but got about a mile and a half into the tempo and bagged it.  The legs just weren't there, so I bailed on the run completely after 4 miles

Wed-off

Thur-had some motivational issues again and by the time I got out the door I only had time for 8 miles at the gym.  I did a bit of a progression from 8:49 and finished the last mile at 8:00.

Fri-off

Sat-BONK! I hadn't had one like this, well, ever I think.  I ended up pretty dehydrated, which was due to poor long run preparation.  I got out the door a little later than planned, it got hot in a hurry, and knew I was in for a long day by my second water stop at 10 miles.  I stopped just shy of 13 miles in some shade and ended up walking for about 3/4 of a mile before trudging on for another 2 miles at about 9:20 pace before I hit my 3rd water stop at 15 miles and call the girlfriend to come pick me up.  I really made sure I sucked down fluids the rest of the day and finally felt like I was properly hydrated by mid morning on Sunday.  Not my best effort.

Sun-I was planning on getting out and doing something today, but I wasn't sure what.  I wanted a minimum of 6 miles, but was really hoping to shake out some of the tightness and get in something a bit longer and more productive.  It was hot again today and I wasn't ready to run first thing this morning, so I headed out around 6:00.  Once I got going, I loosened up nicely and slowly but surely worked the pace down from 8:50 to 8:45 to 8:35 thru mile 6.  I cranked it up for 7-9 and hit those in 8:20, 8:01, and 7:38.  After the Saturday bonk, I felt really good about this effort and hopefully I can start getting some more consistent mileage in the last 10 weeks of this cycle.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:17 am

Bonks suck, but honestly, I'd rather have them in training than not have them as I always learn something from them that I can take with me for the rest of the cycle.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:23 am

Nice comeback Jim from Saturday's bonk.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:32 am

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Bonks suck, but honestly, I'd rather have them in training than not have them as I always learn something from them that I can take with me for the rest of the cycle.
Yep, I definitely learned something from this one.  I didn't pay attention to my liquid intake the day before and I paid dearly for it on Saturday.  Oh well, like you said, live and learn.

Alex Kubacki wrote:Nice comeback Jim from Saturday's bonk.
Thanks Alex!  Hope the Achilles is coming along and you'll be back on the road soon.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:31 am

Is it warm down there?  I know it is up here...Be sure to hydrate!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:21 pm

Nick Morris wrote:Is it warm down there?  I know it is up here...Be sure to hydrate!!
It is, but I'm on the other side of the state in Springfield MO.  Plenty hot here too though.

Yesterday I got in an easy 16 mile ride before I headed down this way.  I think I'm starting to get a better handle on the effort level to expend on the bike to make sure it's a true recovery effort.  It must have been about right, because after tonight's tempo, I've now run 35 miles and biked 16 in the last 4 days.

On to the tempo tonight.  Last week's did not go well at all, so I decided to give the same workout a go tonight, 10 miles with a 2 x 3 mile tempo.  I started off a bit slower than tempo pace at 7:30 and did the next 2 miles at 7:24 and 7:19.  After the half mile recovery, I started back up at 7:19, went to 7:13 and 7:08.  According to the treadmill I was on, I never even got to a HR of 170, which is about 85% of my max.  I think I'm definitely on the verge of turning the corner fitness wise and this week will tell me a lot about where I am with a 12 miler and a 20 miler on the schedule yet.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:31 am

mul21 wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:Is it warm down there?  I know it is up here...Be sure to hydrate!!
It is, but I'm on the other side of the state in Springfield MO.  Plenty hot here too though.

Yesterday I got in an easy 16 mile ride before I headed down this way.  I think I'm starting to get a better handle on the effort level to expend on the bike to make sure it's a true recovery effort.  It must have been about right, because after tonight's tempo, I've now run 35 miles and biked 16 in the last 4 days.

On to the tempo tonight.  Last week's did not go well at all, so I decided to give the same workout a go tonight, 10 miles with a 2 x 3 mile tempo.  I started off a bit slower than tempo pace at 7:30 and did the next 2 miles at 7:24 and 7:19.  After the half mile recovery, I started back up at 7:19, went to 7:13 and 7:08.  According to the treadmill I was on, I never even got to a HR of 170, which is about 85% of my max.  I think I'm definitely on the verge of turning the corner fitness wise and this week will tell me a lot about where I am with a 12 miler and a 20 miler on the schedule yet.
It sure looks like it!  Keep up the good work...You never know, come NY you may be pushing a PR Smile
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:56 pm

I did the vaunted Dave-O back to back work out tonight where you follow up a tempo run with a sorta long run the next night.  This is the first time I've done it this cycle and I had planned for 12, but between the darkness creeping in and a little more residual fatigue and tightness than I had hoped for in the legs, I cut it to 10 miles but still got in a quality run. 

I've kind of drifted from the original program because I think it was just too many fast miles for me and I really need to build some endurance with a few more miles.  So, with the hope that I get in a 20 this weekend, I should hit 50 miles for the week, which would be a high on the year for me.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:37 pm

I've been wimping out and avoiding tempos.   Reading about yours makes me want to dip my toe back in.   Hit that 50 this week!   That's a big milestone.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:42 am

Chris M wrote:I've been wimping out and avoiding tempos.   Reading about yours makes me want to dip my toe back in.   Hit that 50 this week!   That's a big milestone.
Yeah, that would have been nice.  Stymied by weather unfortunately.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:51 am

The week did not end as well as it started due to the ridiculous weather weather I had to deal with and the fact that I'm not acclimated to it whatsoever.  It wasn't all that warm, but the humidity literally was making it hard to breathe.  It was only about 75 degrees, but I'm pretty sure there was as much humidity as physically possible and I was completely soaked by mile 6.  I may have been better off getting out the door later to avoid some of the humidity, but there really weren't any good options.  I finished my first loop of 10.2 miles, changed clothes, grabbed a drink and headed up to the Y to try to get in some more mileage, but the legs just weren't there.  I ended up around 13 miles, so I got in some decent mileage but not what I wanted by any means. 

A busy day and horrible weather on Sunday prevented me from getting out the door for anything, but there was definitely some lack of motivation there mostly due to the weather.

I got out for an easy 6 miler last night and thankfully the weather had broken.  On Saturday, I was really working to get down to 8:30 pace, which is normally a breeze for me on fresh legs under normal conditions.  Last night I looked down in mile 4 and was pushing 8:10 pace without even making an effort to.  I really feel like I'm getting in better shape and when the weather isn't screwing me up, I'm having some really good efforts.  It would be nice to have a good long run or two to really confirm that for me though. 

I think tonight will be a 12 miler with tomorrow off and a tempo on Thursday.  Probably an easy day Friday and I'll give 20 another shot this Saturday.  The weather isn't supposed to be great this weekend, but not nearly as oppressive as last weekend.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:13 am

Try to not worry (heh, I almost wrote "sweat") the weather nastiness so much. Think of it as an unplanned step-back. Looking at your progress, it sure doesn't seem to be hurting you. Just keep at it, and cooler weather will be here before you know it.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:49 am

What a great picture of your daughter! Make sure you label these or name the photo with the school year because later in life, it's so hard to remember which year is which when you have a number of them.

Your comments when I post the week in training always help - I don't know what the difference is this year. last year was much hotter but I sort of embraced the heat then. Now it's killing me for some reason. It's supposed to warm up again this coming weekend to the upper 80s, hopefully that will be the last blast of heat.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:00 pm

Like Mark said, don't "sweat" it too much (I had to use it Smile ).  You still have a lot of time to get in those quality long runs.  Hopefully this weekend works out for you. I have 20, as well, and my fingers are crossed that the weather will work out.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:20 pm

Mark B wrote:Try to not worry (heh, I almost wrote "sweat") the weather nastiness so much. Think of it as an unplanned step-back. Looking at your progress, it sure doesn't seem to be hurting you. Just keep at it, and cooler weather will be here before you know it.
Yeah, I'm not terribly worried about it because each time this has happened the next run has been very good and felt easier than expected.  Unfortunately, running a marathon with less than ideal long runs isn't exactly a recipe for success.  Here's hoping cooler weather does the trick.

JohnP wrote:What a great picture of your daughter! Make sure you label these or name the photo with the school year because later in life, it's so hard to remember which year is which when you have a number of them.

Your comments when I post the week in training always help - I don't know what the difference is this year. last year was much hotter but I sort of embraced the heat then. Now it's killing me for some reason. It's supposed to warm up again this coming weekend to the upper 80s, hopefully that will be the last blast of heat.
Thanks John!  They're all stored electronically by month and year, so no trouble keeping track of them.  I actually very rarely print anything out, which I need to do more of for office decor.

I think you're right about the difference in the weather this year.  No acclimation time because it's been relatively cool.  I also don't recall this kind of oppressive humidity before either.  I've done some runs in some nasty humidity before, but this weekend was just insane.

Nick Morris wrote:Like Mark said, don't "sweat" it too much (I had to use it Smile ).  You still have a lot of time to get in those quality long runs.  Hopefully this weekend works out for you. I have 20, as well, and my fingers are crossed that the weather will work out.
Yeah, 9 weeks left and hopefully at least 3 20 milers in there somewhere.  I don't have a choice the weekend of 10/6 as I'll be pacing the Lakefront Marathon in Milwaukee, so that plus a couple others should get me where I need to be.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next