365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Redemption: 2013 Hamilton Road2Hope Marathon

Page 20 of 21 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Redemption: 2013 Hamilton Road2Hope Marathon

Post  Nick Morris on Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:44 pm

Mark B wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:So, my flight out of Buffalo was supposed tobe at 7:50 this morning. It is now 12: 30 and I am still here.   Supposed to leave at 2pm and be home by 4:45.  My fingers are crossedand my legs  are tired Smile
Be sure to load up on airport cookies while you wait. Refueling, you know.
I like your thinking
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:37 pm

Seems appropriate that you should have some wings while you wait!
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:41 pm

Michael Enright wrote:Seems appropriate that you should have some wings while you wait!
There is an Anchor Bar in the Buffalo airport(for those of you who don't know, Anchor Bar is where Buffalo wings originated.)
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:35 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:
Michael Enright wrote:Seems appropriate that you should have some wings while you wait!
There is an Anchor Bar in the Buffalo airport(for those of you who don't know, Anchor Bar is where Buffalo wings originated.)
We did eat there, but I didn't have wings Smile
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:36 pm

I did finally make it home last night at 6:00 pm.  It was the worst travel day that I had ever experienced, but the BQ makes it a little better...
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:39 pm

Race report still pending...
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O on Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:06 pm

While the race report is pending: YESSSSSSS!!!!!!!
Dave-O

View user profile http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope on Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:15 pm

Nick Morris wrote:11.03.13 -

Race Day...continued...So, after having a heart attack in regards to my Garmin malfunction (which worked on Thursday) I headed out with my friend's gps watch.  I did everything that I wanted to and more for the first half of the race and held on, even with an almost two minute fade over the last three miles, to run a sub 3:05 (3:04:35).  I will probably write a race report sometime tomorrow when I get home.

I want to thank everyone for their support.  Without you guys, I am not sure that I could have accomplished what I have.  I can't wait to see most of you in Boston 2015!!!!
yay, congrats, Nick!!!
Penelope
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:10 pm

11.05.13 - 

Race Report...

As most of you may know, I missed my goal of achieving a BQ at Hamilton last year by 29 seconds.  Even with the 8 minute PR, there was a lot of disappointment.  So, I set my sights on heading back to the "Great White North" again to conquer the course that just beat me the previous year.

My confidence was fairly high heading into this race, as I had a pretty decent training cycle.  I also seemed to be peaking at just the right time.  I was feeling fit and feeling fast.  

I set out with my family (father, mother, and sister) on Friday.  This is the first race that my father has gone to, so this experience was a new adventure for him.  We flew into Buffalo and the 45-50 mile per hour wind gusts that were there.  Then made the hour drive north to Hamilton.  We checked into the hotel and just relaxed the first evening.  Saturday morning we drove the first 17 miles of the course, as they made a minor change that added 5k to the first portion of the race (prior to the downhill to the lakefront).  This meant that the first half of the race was completed on top of the hill.  We then went back to the hotel and waited for my friends (my running parents) to arrive, as they drove the 10 hours from Madison, Wisconsin.  Once they arrived, we headed to the expo to get our race packets.  We just missed Nancy as she had just left the expo.  We got our race packet, then did our 2.25 mile shake out run that covers the last portion of the course.  This is when I noticed that my Garmin would not turn on.  I didn't think much of it, as I thought that the battery went dead while traveling.  We finished the run and went back to the hotel before heading out to a nice Italian restaurant for dinner.  After dinner we headed back to our rooms and I tried my watch again, as I had placed it on the charger before dinner.  That was when a little sense of panic set in.  The darn watch would not turn on.  I did the hard reset...nothing.  I charged it some more...nothing.  I did notice that it would turn on when it was on the charging dock, but as soon as I would take it off, it would go blank.  This ercked me a little, as it had been working fine on Thursday.  Luckily my friend Pete let me use his Timex Ironman GPS watch and my nerves were calmed a little.  Pete's plan was to run with me for most of the first half and then slow down a bit in the second half.  So, he was ok in using his normal Timex stopwatch.  I will be contacting Garmin in regards to my watch.

Race day morning arrived and conditions seemed perfect for a race.  Temps were sitting around 30 degrees at the start with a very light breeze.  I had told Pete the night before that I had wanted to lead the race for a little bit and he was ok in following me.  So, when the gun went off, so did I.  I took the lead to the point that I led last year and no one seemed to pass me.  So, I continued on to where I knew my parents would be standing.  After passing them, I started to slow back down a bit and finally the rest of the field caught up with Pete and I.  It's the longest I have led a race (about a 1/3 of a mile).  We then settled back into our rhythm and put it in cruise control.  Miles 2-5 were along a ridge top road that over looked the city below, as well as, Lake Ontario and Toronto.  It was a very scenic view, especially with the sun rising.  At about mile 7, Pete told me that he was not going to be able to stay with me and he let me go ahead.  I continued on and saw my family for the second time at mile 10.  It is always a boost to see your cheering crew!!!  I continued on and made it to the halfway point and the start of the downhill.  I was right where I wanted to be at this point in the race.  I was averaging 6:55s and thought that I could bank a little time on the nice long 3+ mile downhill portion of the course (they actually close off the downhill portion of an expressway for the race).  Man was I wrong...It was at this point that we hit a wall of wind that really came out of nowhere.  The straight headwind felt like it was about 10-15 miles per hour and really negated any advantage that gravity was supposed to give me.  By the time I got halfway down the hill I was having to actually work to maintain the 6:55 pace.  I exited the parkway still hitting sub 7:00 splits.  Mile 19 is when a little bit of fatigue started to set in and my first mile over 7:00 was logged.  When I got to mile 20 I started doing the math in my head and knew that I had a great shot at around a 3:02-3:03 marathon.  I continued on and made it to my dreaded mile 23.  This is always the point in the race where my mind starts telling me that I am tired.  The point where I have to yell at myself to go on.  As I started the 23rd mile, I continued to do the math in my head and knew that if I could run sub 8:00s for the final miles, that I would be alright.  I gave my self a few "Come On Nick!!" pump up chants and continued to forge on along the lakefront path.  It was at around this time that I got to see both my friend Jenny and Nancy as they were making there way up the lakefront before the turnaround back to the finish.  This helped me a little from a mental standpoint too, as they were rooting for me as we passed each other.  I pressed on at a 7:30 pace.  Pushing myself the whole way. I made my way to mile 26 and at this point it really started to sink in that I was going to do it Smile  I made it to the turn that took you up a hill to the finish shoot and tried to make the sprint to the finish.  It's funny thinking back now, because my mind felt like I was sprinting, but my legs felt like they were concrete.  With the finish line a few yards a way, I raised my arms and a huge smile came across my face as I crossed the finish line with a time of 3:04:35.  I DID IT!!!  I got my goal...sub 3:05 and an official BQ!!

This is the moment where the emotions came rushing out.  I hugged the guy that gave me my medal and I just stood there bent over, thinking to myself...I did it!!...All of the hard work...the sacrifices and dedication paid off!!  My mother came over to the finish corral (I am still only about 20 yards past the finish line) and we shared a very long hug and cried tears of joy.  I still can not put into words the actual feeling that I had.  It is just awesome!!

Looking back at my splits now, I gave back a lot of time in those final 3.2 miles to the finish (nearly 2 minutes) as fatigue really started to kick in.  But I don't care...I did what I had set out to do.  At no time did I ever get that feeling that I needed to walk.  Nor did get that feeling that I was not going to make my goal.  I am not sure how much a -25 second BQ will do to get me into the 2015 Boston Marathon or if it even will.  Either way I will now find myself there, because if it comes down to it, I will pay my way in through a charity.

I want to thank everyone who has followed my journey and supported me a long the way.  Without you guys, I am not sure that I would be where I am today. THANK YOU ALL and I hope to see a lot of you in Boston 2015!!
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:28 pm

Here is a great picture of me leading the race at the start.  I love the shadows on the pavement.  The lead one is mine Smile

Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:06 pm

Nick Morris wrote:
Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:My Garmin didn't work earlier this week either.  No worries. Run smart and run strong!
Well, I couldn't find a solution to my Garmin issue.  So, I am going to roll with my friends Timex Ironman GPS watch.  I am lucky that they are along and he is willing to let me use it!!!
That's one of my worst nightmares!  Wish I'd known before the race as I had my 305 and brought along my 205 for a spare.  I don't race with the heart rate monitor so would have been glad to loan you either one.
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:09 pm

Nick Morris wrote:I did finally make it home last night at 6:00 pm.  It was the worst travel day that I had ever experienced, but the BQ makes it a little better...
Ha...adjust for the time change and we arrived home at about the same time!  No delays for me...just a long way to go.

It's never fun to sit in an airport and even worse when you're stiff and sore from the marathon...good thing you had that BQ to make it a bit more tolerable.
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:53 pm

nkrichards wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:I did finally make it home last night at 6:00 pm.  It was the worst travel day that I had ever experienced, but the BQ makes it a little better...
Ha...adjust for the time change and we arrived home at about the same time!  No delays for me...just a long way to go.

It's never fun to sit in an airport and even worse when you're stiff and sore from the marathon...good thing you had that BQ to make it a bit more tolerable.
Yeah, it wasn't that fun...Oh well.  Glad you made it home alright.
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:56 pm

I am really surprised at how my legs are bouncing back from the fun that I put them through.  I think they felt the worst on Monday, as both my upper quads and hammies were barking at me.  Going up and down my stairs was fun.  Yesterday was much better and today is even better.  Looks like I'll be able to get back to running soon.  I still plan on taking the entire week off and getting back to running next week with some low mileage running.
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:44 pm

Great job Nick, you deserve it! Congrats!!
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:22 pm

Feeling great today.  I love how my legs really bounced back this year.  Still taking the rest of the week off, though Wink
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:43 am

Man it feels weird to get up on the weekend and not run.  I am itching to get back at it.  Is it Monday yet??
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:01 am

Glad to hear you are recovering well.  I felt so much better both during and after this marathon...  I have been up to the pool a couple times already but have held off on running.  Not sure what I'll have time for next week as we're headed to South America for 4 weeks and I am not ready to go!

Enjoy that run on Monday.

Oh...great photos!  I love the one of you in the lead.
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:14 pm

Glad that you bounced back well - me too!
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:58 am

Glad you're feeling strong. Now remember to give yourself a bit of a break and ease back into it, though I'm sure you want to go out and bust out some awesome runs. Be a little lazy. It's okay.
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:17 am

nkrichards wrote:Glad to hear you are recovering well.  I felt so much better both during and after this marathon...  I have been up to the pool a couple times already but have held off on running.  Not sure what I'll have time for next week as we're headed to South America for 4 weeks and I am not ready to go!

Enjoy that run on Monday.

Oh...great photos!  I love the one of you in the lead.
Did you see the photos of the start from the marathon photographer?  You get a frame by frame look at my quick start out of the gate Smile
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:18 am

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Glad that you bounced back well - me too!
It feels good to feel good.  I am itching to run tonight, as the last couple of days have been rough.  Glad that you are feeling good, as well Smile
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:20 am

Mark B wrote:Glad you're feeling strong. Now remember to give yourself a bit of a break and ease back into it, though I'm sure you want to go out and bust out some awesome runs. Be a little lazy. It's okay.
Well, I am only starting out with 3 miles tonight on the indoor track at my gym.  I will take it pretty easy this week.  I wanna do an 8 miler on Saturday or Sunday (maybe both Smile) to see how the endurance will feel.
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:40 am

I got in 3 miles last night on the indoor track at my gym.  I took it pretty easy, but it felt good to just be active again.  I didn't wear a watch and just went by the clock at the gym.  I ran the 3 miles at about a 7:30 pace, so not too hard.  I guess that I could have ran slower, but it felt like an easy pace.  I can tell that my legs are not completely back, but taking it easy for a week or so should get them back to normal.
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:01 am

I got in another 3 miler on the indoor track at the gym tonight.  About the same run as Monday. Nice and easy with no watch.  I ended up running around a 7:30 pace.  Taking the day off tomorrow, but want to get in a couple of 8s this weekend.  Although that should be fun as both Saturday and Sunday's forecasts call for rain.  At least it will be in the 50s.
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 21 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top