365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Much Ado About Nothing

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Much Ado About Nothing

Post  Mike MacLellan on Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:48 pm

Jim - Nice!  Yep, depending on your consumer's language preference (more English signing, more ASL signing), sometimes it's pretty straightforward, and in the case of a more English-based signing system, you're going to see a lot of the speaker's words on the interpreter's lips, too.  On the other hand, the signs from ASL, particularly during a story or something you could "act out," will be much more obvious.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:36 am

Weekend weekend weekend.

After a long drive Friday afternoon, I stayed up chatting with my parents and slept in until almost 10am Saturday (wtf?).  Ran 35min in some brutal humidity and almost died.  Not really, but it felt like it.  

Sunday was a 6-miler, and I got really excited and chased a bike on the bike path for a mile (6:30 pace).  Oops.  Had a BBQ at Aileen's family's house, lots of booze and a 12lb brisket that'd been smoking all day.  It was damn good.

Monday, really pleasant drive back to Sactown, just in time for the rain (?!?!) and a 30min run/shower through it.  

45min yesterday, and the uptempo work from the weekend caught up to me a little.  Felt slow and sluggish for most the run.  Oh well.  

30min upcoming today... sometime during a 12hr work day.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:07 pm

Alright, time to admit that I'm lousy at keeping this thing up to date.  Fortunately, I'm not so lousy at keeping my training consistent.  A brief recap.

9/4 - 3.5mi @ 8:35
9/5 - 6.4mi @ 7:49 & 26mi ride later on
9/6 - off
9/7 - 5.5mi @ 8:09
9/8 - 8.3mi @ 7:52 with a couple moderate/hard fartlek efforts
Week - 32.7mi + 26mi bike

9/9 - 3.5mi @ 8:36
9/10 - 6.5mi @ 7:40 moderate finish
9/11 - 3.5mi @ 9:21 with Aileen
9/12 - 6.5mi rolling hills @ 7:55
9/13 - off
9/14 - 6mi @ 7:46
Week to Date - 26mi

I've had a couple dead-legged days, no doubt from my inconsistent eating habits.  Still a lot to juggle with work (40+ hr this week), a girlfriend, etc.  This morning's run, however, was bliss.  Didn't look at the watch (okay, one time, since mile 3 felt really long) and ran some nice splits, all under 8min except the first.  

The shin splint situation is progressively better and better.  I still occasionally feel that dull ache but it never gets any worse than dull and it goes away pretty soon after it starts.  I just deal with it.  I did, however, roll my ankle pretty badly on a branch in the bike lane today (was watching a near collision of cars, oops) and it's caused my left foot to be a bit twingy since.  No residual ankle pain though.  

Running 9-10mi tomorrow, 5 of which will be with Aileen at her goal MP (8:35/mi).  She'll probably hate me for that, but her training has been going amazingly well.  She's fundraising for a Deaf-owned organization out of the Bay area, and is having quite a bit of success with that, as well.  I don't want to spam the link, but if anyone is interested in checking it out, let me know and I'll PM it or post it.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:37 pm

Finished up last week with a total of 36.1mi.  Legs came back early this week and runs all felt pretty status quo...  Until Wednesday night when a head cold set in and made running sucky.  

Cold stayed through Thursday and Friday (a very busy off day that didn't feel like much in terms of recovery)... and a bit yesterday.  But hey, it rained yesterday, which meant Aileen wanted to bake, which meant pumpkin cream cheese muffins...  So there's a light at the end of the tunnel.

Today's run was a nice, brisk 7.5mi with some long fartlek intervals thrown in there.  Legs are very comfortable in the low 7's and even into the high 6's.  Low 6's feel a bit clunky, but that'll all come with time.  Overall average 7:30 with the first two miles at 8:20 and 8:10, respectively.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope on Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:55 pm

I'm slowly getting caught up on all the active blogs so wanted to say hello.  It looks like you've had some good training runs recently.  I know what you mean about the dead legs.  I guess the only good thing I can say about getting sick is that the extra day or so of rest is sometimes good for the dead legs feeling, or it least it has been for me.  Glad to hear you're liking your new job!
Penelope
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:59 am

That's probably because you're smart, P/K.  I didn't take an extra day off...  Just slept more.  Which seemed to have an equally good effect on my running and recovery.  Smile

---

Wow, a midweek update!  That's right, for once, I'm not leaving the house at 7am.  It's 8am today.

Still working a ton and running when I can...  Okay, it's a bit more structured than that (ie I never miss a run... yet) but still, it FEELS like that.  

I had my first "drop" of the semester, so now I have a nice 3hr break Wednesday mid-morning.  Perfect for a run.  

This week so far has been 4 Mon, 7 Tues (flat and brisk), 7 Wed (rollers, legs a little tired from Tues), and I definitely didn't run this morning, so it'll be 4 tonight.  Looking at 6.5/11 this weekend for a just-shy-of-40-mile week.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:11 am

Thursday's run sucked.  Bonky, tired, and just lacking motivation.  Fortunately, at just 4 miles, it was a short sufferfest.  

Friday brought a short day at work and a lot of Oreos.  Smile

Saturday was 6.5mi with the last 10min @ GA effort level.  Felt nice and smooth.

Sunday was supposed to be 11mi with the first half in the low 8's, second half in the high 7's, with a friend who's training for CIM...  But she pushed the pace from mile one and we never went above 8, averaging in the 7:25 range...  Wat.

4mi before sunrise this morning.  Nice and smooth in the low-mid 8's.  

Oh, yeah, and I signed up for my spring marathon 2 minutes ago.  I guess I'm committed to this whole sub-3 thing.  Gulp.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:43 am

Woot woot!!  Now you have to seriously train Smile
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:09 pm

Wow! Somebody is really kicking it getting ready for CIM. Should be an impressive debut.

And you... signing up for a marathon and all! It's about time! Wink

I never even knew they had a marathon in Modesto. I just checked the results from last year, and there were some seriously speedy people out there. You shouldn't have much difficulty finding a fast-moving pack to get you to your sub-3 goal. And flat? Holy cow. I think the biggest challenge is going to be holding focus on those miles-and-miles-and-miles-long straight stretches through the middle of nowhere.

One warning, though: It looks like the route takes you past a few dairy farms or feedlots. So don't assume the runner ahead of you just crapped himself. Wink

Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:39 am

Nick - B-b-b-but I've been training!  Wink

Mark - Well, it won't be that particular friend's first.  It'll be her 4th marathon, but first BQ attempt.  
Are you sure we're looking at the same race?  In the years since its inaugural, I would have placed 3rd, 8th, and 5th, respectively, given my goal time.  I might have a fast buddy, but I don't know if I'll have a pack...
Also, re: feedlots, why do you think I chose this race?  We all know my digestive issues Wink

---

Here's to dedication...  Woke up at 5am and ran an hour before breakfast.  Ugh.  Oh well, 7.5mi in the bag.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:35 pm

So, 50 hours of work and going on 43 miles of running this week.  And other than being tired... it's actually manageable.  Not that I'd want to do it forever.  

Got in another 7.5mi Wednesday... really fast and smooth on some rollers.
Thursday was 4mi pre-dawn.
Friday off, but with some 14hrs of work, I had plenty of time on my feet.  
This morning, 6.9mi with 4x strides.  They weren't exactly smooth strides, but oh well, got some good turnover in.

Tomorrow will be a half marathon with Aileen on the CIM course...  She's got 2x4mi @ MP.  Should be fun.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:56 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:Nick - B-b-b-but I've been training!  Wink

Mark - Well, it won't be that particular friend's first.  It'll be her 4th marathon, but first BQ attempt.  
Are you sure we're looking at the same race?  In the years since its inaugural, I would have placed 3rd, 8th, and 5th, respectively, given my goal time.  I might have a fast buddy, but I don't know if I'll have a pack...
Also, re: feedlots, why do you think I chose this race?  We all know my digestive issues Wink
Well, I didn't look much deeper on the leaderboard than the winners, who were coming in around 2:30 or below. Now, there may have been only one or two people between them and the 3-hour crowd, so who knows?

Good job on balancing work and running this week. As for now wanting to have to do it forever, don't worry! You've only got about 40 years or so until you can retire. Piece 'o cake. Twisted Evil
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope on Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:42 am

That's a lot of work and miles in the same week, so great job! Mine are inversely proportional Smile  Some solid paces!
Penelope
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 on Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:34 pm

I want to hear all about the CIM course.  That one has been on my radar for years.  I have a friend who lives up in Orange Vale (one word or two?) and so all I have to do is get to Northern Cal.
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:56 pm

Thanks P/K!

Dot - CIM course is gorgeous.  It's gentle rollers for about 75% of it with maybe 3 "climbs" in the first half.  Each one is relatively short though steep-ish.  Net loss that's gentle enough to lend to some fast times with just one major descent around 11 miles in.

---

Sunday's run went well, all in all.  Aileen had a rough patch about halfway through - emotionally, not physically - but nailed her splits and survived the experience to run another day.  My knees were a little sore after this one, since I spent a lot of it braking to maintain those 8:35 splits instead of the 7:00s my legs wanted to run.  

Monday started a cutback week with 4 easy miles in the morning.  My first job was canceled with no notice, so I actually could've slept in and ate breakfast BEFORE running, but hey, a <24hr notice means I still get paid.  

Tuesday brought 6 "meh" miles.  Just kind of a grind.

Wednesday was 7mi on a loop I'm using for some hill/undulation training.  Felt alright, but the effort level was high compared to last week.

Thursday was a gorgeous and easy/smooth 4mi in and around Land Park near downtown Sac.  

Off day yesterday, as per usual...  But a 14hr work day to boot.  

6.5mi easy, relaxed, and smooth this morning.  Averaged 7:45 with most miles around or under that after my warm-up mile.  

9.5 with 3x 1mi @ 6:45 pace tomorrow.  I'm not expecting it to be hard at all, just hoping for smooth strides.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:00 pm

Hi, old friend.  Long time...

It's been a pretty stressful time lately.  Both good and bad stress.  Mostly good, now.  

Running-wise, I hit 47.5mi last week and am on track for 51.5mi this week.  Runs are going well, and I'm feeling confident about entering my "real" training in two weeks.  A couple highlights:

Ran 14mi for the first time in something like a year and a half on Sunday.  Seriously, I'm not sure I've run 14mi since Boston.  It was a decent run, everything (dehydration, crappy nutrition, slight hangover) accounted for.

Ran 3mi @ MP yesterday.  The first mile sucked.  The last 2 were alright.  I do wonder how I'll ever do 26.2 at that pace, but the same was true of my BQ when I started training.  

Now for the stress...  Last Monday, a friend was diagnosed with AIDS.  Yep, you read that right.  On Wednesday at their doctor's appointment, it turned out that no, they didn't have AIDS, the nurse simply read the chart wrong.  They have a very early stage of Lupus.  Which still kind of sucks, but it's a fuckload better than AIDS.  Needless to say, I hardly ate and felt pretty nauseous for 48hrs.  

On Tuesday, my truck broke down.  That's two cars breaking down in the last two months.  Fortunately, this was the push my dad needed to actually follow through on his promises to help me out with a new car.  

Went home with Aileen over the weekend for a Halloween party and to car shop.  After a long-ass day of shopping Friday and a bit of drinking at the party, I was ready to get my first ever new car on Saturday.  Four hours after walking in Saturday morning, I drove off the lot in a brand new Hyundai Elantra GT.  Black on black.  I'm not really a car person, but I'm happy with my choice and the copious amounts of research that led to it.  

The drive back Sunday was long and stressful as I watched Aileen literally falling asleep at the wheel behind me.  She ran 18mi Sunday morning, so I get it, but shit man, that wasn't fun.  I forced her to stop every hour and do jumping jacks/run around the parking lot.  We both survived the journey.

Sleep is still in deficit.  As is a feeling of calm and order.  But we're getting back to that point.  

On the upside, Aileen and I are doing exceptionally well.  And my aquarium (Christmas present from Aileen) is up and running.  Smile
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:59 pm

Sorry actually to hear about your friend - lupus sucks.  I have a friend who lives in Naperville now that has lupus - she was diagnosed back in the mid-1990s when we all lived in a neighborhood in Atlanta, and she has dealt with it ever since.  Joyce is now close to 60 and she is hearing impaired (from the lupus) and is in/out of the hospital a lot.  I hope modern medicine keeps progressing for your friend.  

Enough on the downers - fun about the new car and that things with Aileen are going well.  I'm guessing the job is going well too.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:08 pm

Michele - Thanks for the response.  Yeah, the situation sucked/sucks, but at least it's a bit better than we thought.

---

Running is a funny thing.  Sometimes it's great, sometimes it's... not.  And you never really know when those ups and downs will happen.  Sometimes, they just do.

Like this weekend.  

After wrapping up the last work week with a good run on Thurs and a loooong work day Friday (but no running), I started Saturday feeling fresh and light.  Super smooth 8 miles, other than a little left knee niggle that came up for about a mile.  

Sunday...  What the hell happened?  Was it the impromptu wrestling with friends (we're all still kids, at heart) Saturday night?  The week(s) catching up with me?  Last weekend's uptempo stuff hitting the legs finally?  I don't know, but from the first half mile, my left ITB/knee/hamstring wasn't pleased.  Tight, rough, bleh.  My stride was good and steady, but couldn't accommodate ups or downs.  Fuck, man, the whole run was just long and obnoxious.  A solid 15mi at a decent (controlled) pace, but ugh.

Mon-today, it hasn't gotten much better.  I'm tight, sore, and everything just feels a bit rough.  My knee niggle is taken care of, but like I said, things just don't feel GOOD.  And this is a cutback week.  What?  

Pressing on, looking forward to Friday and some time off my feet to let these muscles heal.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:16 pm

Today's run sucked.  To the point that I was muttering, "God damnit," every half mile or so, because something new decided to start hurting.  I was a stubborn SOB and ran all 7.5mi, though.  I've posted in the Health/Injury forum.  I'm not a happy camper.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:31 pm

I commented on your Body Shop post, but I'll add to it here. You're pushing too hard with too little rest to let your body positively adapt to the stimulus you're throwing at it. So you end up just tearing yourself down.

You burned yourself out once before. You don't want to do it again. Build the base, nice and easy. Add intensity later.
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:33 pm

Mark B wrote:I commented on your Body Shop post, but I'll add to it here. You're pushing too hard with too little rest to let your body positively adapt to the stimulus you're throwing at it. So you end up just tearing yourself down.

You burned yourself out once before. You don't want to do it again. Build the base, nice and easy. Add intensity later.
There is truth coming from Mark's fingers.  Your body is in the middle of revolting on your process.  Your body is going to lay down on you, like your last car did.  So like you did on the Elantra, do some research.  You can tell your body that you want to do whatever, but if it doesn't like it, it won't do it or do it well.  Then, you'll get all pissed off again.  Work with your body.
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:16 pm

Haha, Oz, that was a beautiful analogy.  And taps into why this is so frustrating to me.  It seems like it's ALWAYS something.

But, with that said, I'm listening.  I don't really know how to go from here, other than to run easy and shut it down as soon as I feel any discomfort.  I'll look into cycling and the elliptical if I'm unable to run even a mile.  

Just sucks that I have to come to terms with the fact that I might not get that sub-3 before training has even really started.  Then again, as I'm learning time and time again, you can't push fitness. 

Thanks, folks.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:11 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:Haha, Oz, that was a beautiful analogy.  And taps into why this is so frustrating to me.  It seems like it's ALWAYS something.

But, with that said, I'm listening.  I don't really know how to go from here, other than to run easy and shut it down as soon as I feel any discomfort.  I'll look into cycling and the elliptical if I'm unable to run even a mile.  

Just sucks that I have to come to terms with the fact that I might not get that sub-3 before training has even really started.  Then again, as I'm learning time and time again, you can't push fitness. 

Thanks, folks.
Your first step of easy running and shut down for discomfort will be appreciated by your body.

But you need to get your brain and someone else's (Chiropractor or a doctor that knows a running Physcial Therapist) brain to dissect what's happening.

Case in point.  When my running stopped because my calves were screaming 'foul!' and my cures finally stopped working, I went to my doctor because there's a PT attached to the practice.  Doc thought it might be "Compartment Syndrome" in my calves.  After the PT evaluated me, he said my feet are bio-mechanically off because of my shoes, a flat arch and weak feet...my calves were just the messenger.

That visit was on October 22.  Today, I'm not completely healed, but I ran 15 miles this morning in a new pair of shoes equipped with an arch support insole with a little pain in my right calf, but nothing like before.  I switched from Nike Vomeros to Saucony Kinvaras.

Your muscles might be out of balance, i.e. quads stronger than hamstrings, tight hip flexors, adductors stronger than abductors.  But you won't know until you see somebody.

I shall be monitoring your progress.  You have a new car, now just fix the butt that sits in the driver's seat.
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:20 pm

I'm somewhat doctor-adverse, but I see your point.  If there's no progress in the next week or so, I'll start asking around for names.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:38 pm

Well, let's keep the car analogy going.  You're driving along and your temperature gauge pegs to hot and steam starts coming out from under the hood.  You know enough to pull over and let it cool off before putting some more water in the radiator.  The thermostat is stuck and is not letting the water circulate.

But you'll keep pulling over and letting it cool down, instead of taking it to a mechanic.  Because your friends tell you that it might be any of 5 things.  But most of them know a mechanic that can fix it reasonably.

You just have to decide when you're tired of carrying water and anti-freeze and time on the side of the road, waiting for it to cool off.  It's always been your move.

Doctors will try to fix it pharmacologically.  Chiropractors will try to fix it with your body.
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: