365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Much Ado About Nothing

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Much Ado About Nothing

Post  Mike MacLellan on Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:26 pm

John - I've been given the nickname Contador by the group I ride with.  I'm not sure how to take that one, but it's semi-accurate.  Always out of the saddle climbing, can't do much on flats, but decent time trialing.  The dog is still barking quite a bit when we're gone, is definitely bored/lonely/separation anxiety, and is a hell of a lot more work than I thought.  In short, it's not really working out and he'll be going back home soon.  Sigh.

---

Got in a brief 20mi ride this morning instead of the usual Thursday night race ride...  The group leaders are all dropping like flies and it's going to be 97 at the start, so I decided to just bail on this week.  Did about 35min of tempo work, split into 20min/1min spin/15min.  Had a guy using me as a tow for the first 20min section - he seemed pretty tired so I didn't mind helping him home.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:46 pm

Small note:  Got my work schedule for the fall.  It's preliminary, and it's only one of my two jobs in the fall, but it's a lot more work than I thought...  In a good way.  So I bought myself some new shoes.  Bright yellow Ghost 5s.  I haven't bought new shoes since late fall 2011.  True story.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick on Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:19 am

Bummer on the dog, Congrats on the shoes:cheers:

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:10 am

Hey, I've got those shoes!

Sorry about the dog situation not working out.

Contador, huh? Well, stay away from any spoiled meat!Very Happy 
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 on Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:35 pm

@Mike MacLellan wrote:I don't know how you guys all do it.  Not only train while holding a full-time life, but also keep up with the community?  Ugh, I'm woefully out of practice.

This really made me laugh!  Throw in a kid and a job with travel and it gets even more complicated.  You get used to cramming stuff in when you have a minute though.  Also, being in a routine helps a ton.
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:26 am

So here's to squeezing things in, then...  While eating breakfast before heading out to a half-day job on Sunday morning.  

Aileen's parents got to town Friday, which has done 2 things to my running: made it stop, and replaced it with wine and food.  But Aileen is very, very happy to have them here - hell, so am I, they're good people - and her mom/grandma (yes, grandma is here too) have insisted all weekend on buying us stuff from Target.  Well, alright then.  

After getting my shoes yesterday morning, I'm itching to get out for a run.  I ran up and down the hallway of my apartment (20'?) like 10 times in a row to test the fit, since they're a half size smaller than what I normally wear.  I think they'll be fine.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:25 pm

Maiden voyage for the new shoes today!  About 3.5mi in 30min.  Felt good and smooth throughout the run, with a very light-feeling finish.  Garmin is taking a turn for the worse, with both the up and down buttons now pretty much rubbed raw, causing screens to more or less constantly cycle.  Which is stopping me from turning the unit on, off, starting a run, stopping a run, etc., without difficulty.  I might be sending it in for that $75 refurb. deal soon.

Dog and Aileen's parents left this morning.  Even I was sad to see the little guy go.  Aileen's pretty torn up about it.  Not sure I made the right decision at this point.  Sigh.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:05 am

Sorry about the dog situation. Hopefully this will be the best thing for it - and maybe you and Aileen can eventually find a different pet that will be better suited to your life situation? You all might like that.

And woot! He's running again! Watch those toenails in those too-short shoes!
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:05 am

She's making it through the dog situation a bit better.  Still misses him, but not so torn up about it.  The whole thing makes me feel pretty bad about wanting to get a small (10gal) aquarium, though.  Then again, she used to love the fish I had - long-time readers will remember the huuuuuuuge aquarium I had in Auburn 2 years ago - and even named them, so I guess that works out.  

---

Surprisingly, the shoes don't feel too-small at all.  They're snug on the midfoot, but that's due to my wide feet.  There's a good 1/4-1/2" at the toes, but even with a midfoot strike, my feet aren't sliding up to the front and jamming up my toes.  Was definitely a weird sensation going back to my old Ghost 4s (600+ miles on them, they're what I wore for Boston...) yesterday.  That was a 3mi run with Aileen, as I had a job downtown that kept me way too late to be able to make it to my normal bike ride in Folsom.  

Plus, to be honest, getting a bit tired of the bike.  At least, getting tired of the Tuesday ride.  There's really no respite on hills, even if you get dropped.  Granted, I typically excel on hills, so it's not much of an issue, but right now I'm more motivated to ride fast and work with a group than have a free-for-all for 20mi.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:04 am

Hot, mean ride last night.  Met up for the usual Thursday night pace/race ride.  99 degrees at the start and a huge headwind going down the canal.

The normal "fast guy" wasn't there, so it was up to me and his girlfriend to make the attack for the sprint.  She went first, did a perfect lead-out until about 300m, then I took off.  Another guy was coming up on my right, and just seeing him inch up let me find this other gear I've never, ever, EVER found on a bike.  I was able to hammer it home, blowing the guy up at 100m to go, and take the sprint.

The way back was a whole different story, as my plans to repay the favor to the girlfriend were thwarted by an early attack and I wasn't able to bridge the gap.  

The last sprint point was similar to the first, with the girl making the jump at .5mi to go, me pulling on and pulling around, leading her to about 400m and sitting up.  She yelled at me, "Don't give up!  Keep going!!!" as she passed, so I made the jump onto her wheel, and she gave me the win at about 50m left.  

Got home, ate half the food in the fridge, and shortly thereafter went to bed.  

37.2mi, 2hr.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:27 am

Time for a weekend recap.

No workouts Friday, just a single job that went pretty well.  Took off for the Bay area around 3pm to go to Aileen's cousin's place for her boyfriend's birthday weekend.  Had a nice dinner with the Aunt and Uncle (sushi/hibachi) and followed the usual tradition of champagne, donuts, and So You Think You Can Dance.  

Saturday started with a breezy 3mi run with Aileen (who went on to do 2mi more) before BBQ time.  In short, lots of alcohol and meat, and very little else of substance.  Had a good time, but we both agreed that alcohol is not conducive to running and that party would last us for quite a while.

After lunch with the Aunt and Uncle again, drove back to Sac and tidied up the house.  Ok, Aileen did, but I restocked the fridge.  We did a weak, unpleasant 4mi together before calling it quits on the day and shlumping onto the couch with a piecemeal dinner.  Bedtime was a welcome transition.

---

Got a pretty good week coming up, work-wise.  Taking part of yet another certification test this morning, then I've got all day jobs Wednesday and Thursday.  My parents get to town Friday, which should be a good time.  Not sure exactly what we'll do yet... What a Face
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:02 am

That sounds like a fun, supportive, competitive cycling group you've got, Mike. And it also makes for some really challenging workouts, too.

What sort of bike do you ride, anyway?

Good luck on your test.
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:54 pm

I ride a Scattante R-653 from the year...  2001?  2000?  Something like that.  I know I had it my freshman year of high school, which was 2001.  Well, sort of.  It WAS my brother's, as mine is a bit small now, but we all bought them at the same time.  

I affectionately refer to my bike as the Greaseball, since it's pretty filthy even if I clean it.  The bottom bracket (where the cranks connect to the frame) is minimal, the frame is aluminum, and the only decent component on that bike are my wheels, which run more than $1k new (thanks, brother!).  I often get comments like, "I'd hate to ride with you if you had a real bike; you'd be destroying us on every climb."  I kind of already do, so one can imagine what it'd be like to have something stiff, light, and responsive.

---

I passed my test.  Feels good.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:04 pm

Congrats on passing your certification test!  Yeah!

Love the comments about your bike.  I, too, am a hill climber (though not in your league) and routinely climb past everyone I ride with here on the hills.  On the flats; however, I'm pretty useless.  I have always wondered though if I'd be "faster" there if I had one of the fancy tri bikes like they have instead of my trusty and cheap Fuji.  At least it is a woman's frame so I don't ache all over when I finish a ride.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 on Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:45 pm

I guess it's a little comforting knowing I'm not the only one without a new, top of the line bike.  Here's a shot of the circa 1987 or 1988 Cannondale I got from my brother.  It used to have a white seat and handle bar tape along with natural rubber colored walls on the tires.  It looks a bit sharper now that I've gotten it tuned up and updated a bit, but there's still that whole color issue....

mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:45 pm

Heh. Think of it as motivation, Jim. With a bike that color, you'd better be out hammering it. Wink

Of course, it could be worse.

(Congrats on passing the test, Mike!)
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:03 am

Michele - Yep, us hill climbers are useless in a paceline.  Also, us runners tend to be good hill climbers.  There was an Australian guy here for most of April/May that absolutely wrecked the hills.  No joke, he got out of the saddle and hammered at 110-120 rpm for the entirety of any hill he came to.  He's now in Europe doing vertical KM races, back to running.

Jim - I would kill for a pink bike.  You should be proud of that thing.  And I hope you replaced the saddle.  Wink

---

Thanks all for the congrats.  It was "only" the written half of the test - the performance is what scares most people - but I've gotten a ton of support from the community since yesterday, so I'm feeling good about things.  

I ran 2.7mi (the usual small loop from my apt) yesterday after the test.  It was ONLY ~80 at noon, which made for very, very pleasant running.  Aileen and I have been encountering temps in the low to mid 90s for our afternoon runs of late.  

Planning 4-5mi today, since my morning job fell through and I'm a housewife today.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 on Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:06 pm

@Mike MacLellan wrote:
Jim - I would kill for a pink bike.  You should be proud of that thing.  And I hope you replaced the saddle.  Wink
Actually, I added the gel seat.  Let's just say I've been having some issues with being saddle sore after a few rides lately.  I just hope I eventually get used to it.  I couldn't have taken much more time on the bike than I put in Sunday on the 28 miler.
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:11 am

I have two pieces of advice:
1.  If it feels painful... ahem, inside... and the pain continues after the ride for things like sitting or using the bathroom, get it checked out.  I know someone who just had a perirectal abscess land them in the ER because of overlooked pain.
2.  If it's just the usual saddle soreness, suck it up.  Get a good pair of shorts with a decent chamois.  What a Face

---

4.6mi yesterday.  Longest run in months.  Felt great. 
Was planning to do a run today after my job downtown, but I think I'll just take a rest day today instead of Friday.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick on Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:36 am

@mul21 wrote:
@Mike MacLellan wrote:
Actually, I added the gel seat.  Let's just say I've been having some issues with being saddle sore after a few rides lately.  I just hope I eventually get used to it.  I couldn't have taken much more time on the bike than I put in Sunday on the 28 miler.
Check it out Jim

www.dz-nuts.com

It works well - good stuff.  I'm with Mike though - if it is something besides just being sore, get it taken care of.  Not something you want to fool with.  The taint will get better.  If you are numb, look into a split saddle. 

That seat has got to go - if you spend much time on it at all, it will be money well spent.  The pink is awesome. 

@Mike MacLellan wrote:I have two pieces of advice:
1.  If it feels painful... ahem, inside... and the pain continues after the ride for things like sitting or using the bathroom, get it checked out.  I know someone who just had a perirectal abscess land them in the ER because of overlooked pain.
2.  If it's just the usual saddle soreness, suck it up.  Get a good pair of shorts with a decent chamois.  What a Face

---

4.6mi yesterday.  Longest run in months.  Felt great. 
Was planning to do a run today after my job downtown, but I think I'll just take a rest day today instead of Friday.
Nice to see you running, Mike.  I wish I could really enjoy riding, but I just don't.  I can tolerate it at best.

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:35 pm

It was only a matter of time until chamois cream made its way into this blog.  Personally, I don't use it.  And that's all I'll say about that topic.

---

Had a good day of work yesterday.  Liked my client, liked my team, liked the challenge of the job.  

Went to a friend/past teacher/mentor's house last night for dinner.  She used to be a professional chef, so she's been throwing weekly dinner parties with a "countries of the world" theme.  We have little passports that we stamp with homemade stamps representative of the countries whose food we're sampling.  The best part of the whole thing is that no matter who shows up, we have at least a 50% interpreter ratio of attendees, so Aileen can always keep in the loop of the conversation and I can get a chance to eat and chat, too.  

---

Semi-impromptu 4mi run this morning.  I had it planned last night, hence the semi.  Felt good.  A little bit of creakiness in the legs, but nothing to cause me any concern.  I've got the race ride tonight, so that should shake out the legs a bit more, too.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:52 am

I still suck at this.  Oh well.

Race ride Thursday was cut short due to a flat tire and a flat spare.  Phooey.  Aileen made an 11000 calorie cake, so I was hoping to get a caloric deficit going before starting in on that thing.  Didn't happen.

---

Friday was a 3mi run and my parents getting into town.  Had some really good Thai for dinner.
Saturday was another 3mi, more parents, more good food, and BBQ salmon for dinner.  
Yesterday, 5mi, brunch at Tower Cafe (omg), more parents.  

Overall, a very nice, relaxing, fattening weekend What a Face
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:19 pm

Sounds like a good weekend! I saw the photo you posted on FB yesterday. Was that your dad with you and Aileen? Nice shot. Smile
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 on Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:35 pm

As the resident cyclist, you get all my pestering questions. Very Happy 

What kind of comparison have you come up with on HR between cycling and running?  I did some cursory internet searching and couldn't come up with anything.  For instance, on a long run where you're trying not to exceed 75% of max HR, what would you hit in terms of % HR max on the bike that would be about the same effort level?  I'm trying to gauge where my HR should be on my rides where my main purpose is to get my legs moving and get a little bit of aerobic work done without taxing the system too much.
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:39 pm

Mark - Indeed!  We made him a Facebook and Instagram.  He's new to this technology thing.

Jim - I go for 10bpm lower than running.  For example, my running lactate threshold heart rate is somewhere in the range of 177-185 (max is ~200, last I checked), and my cycling is 170 as of my last test.  It's been in the 167 neighborhood for the last couple years.  My aerobic zone on the bike is around 140-145, which translates to 150-155 (75%) running.  

---

Some life stuff before running stuff...  

Went out to go to work yesterday and noticed that the battery cover on my motorcycle was ripped off.  Now, I'm pretty sure my dad accidentally broke this piece when I first got the bike, and I may or may not have accidentally nudged the bike with my car a couple times in the last week (it's parked at the head of my parking spot, tucked in by my car), but still, this concerned me.  When I looked at my ignition and saw it turned to the "on" position despite there being no key...  Well, I'm pretty sure someone tried to steal it.  Which is confusing on its own, because that thing is maybe 200-300lb, doesn't have any sort of lock or chain on it, and could easily be thrown into neutral and rolled away even without being able to turn it on.  So I'm confused as to why someone would fail at an attempted theft.  There was apparently a motorcycle theft about a month before I moved in.  Still not 100% positive someone tried, but unnerving anyway.

To make matters more exciting, my car's cluster started flickering today, fuel/gas gauges intermittently dying...  So I took it to the dealership with Aileen in tow in her car.  About 1mi from the shop, my battery indicator light popped on, and as I rounded the corner onto the lot, the whole car died.  I was able to power the wheel around and glide into a service lane, but had to stop with the hand brake since I had no power.  

Fun!

---

In running news, I did 4.8mi today.  Two of those miles were sub-8 (unintentionally!).  I also reverted back to my old footstrike - still landing under my center of gravity, but with a slight heelstrike - which alleviated the slight lingering anterior shin splints I've been experiencing for months.  Apparently heelstriking makes me faster, too.  Either way, the run felt good.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: