365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

MCM or Bust (seriously, dude, it may bust!)

Page 6 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: MCM or Bust (seriously, dude, it may bust!)

Post  Nick Morris on Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:20 am

Another great run Michael!!  You definitely earned a second donut Smile
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula Sue on Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:28 pm

You do know how jealous I am of you, Michael...with all this WONDERFUL running weather.  A great way to go during these last 4 weeks of normally hot as h*ll temperatures.  I would guess with the current weather pattern, you will have a really nice run at this year's MCM.  You're going to sail up that last hill like it was pancake flat.  Just hope your buddy can run up it beside you...it's a tuffie Cool
Paula Sue
Poster
Poster

View user profile http://oceanbreeze-lake-erie.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:57 am

@Nick Morris wrote:Another great run Michael!!  You definitely earned a second donut Smile
Thanks Nick. It was delicious!
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:00 am

@Paula Sue wrote:You do know how jealous I am of you, Michael...with all this WONDERFUL running weather.  A great way to go during these last 4 weeks of normally hot as h*ll temperatures.  I would guess with the current weather pattern, you will have a really nice run at this year's MCM.  You're going to sail up that last hill like it was pancake flat.  Just hope your buddy can run up it beside you...it's a tuffie Cool
Thanks Paula Sue! It has been great lately, which I think is well-deserved after the sweltering July (and June was pretty warm, too!) we had here. Another nice day here, but I skipped my x-training bike ride and slept in a little.

My buddy is tough at the end of races - I have no worries he'll be right beside me up the final hill. The last time we ran one together was Chicago '08 (a hot race, the year after that first hot disaster), and I left him at mile 15 at his urging, because he needed to walk. I soldiered on, walking much of the last few miles in cramp-hell, and arrived at the finish only to find that he had passed me somewhere in the sea of struggling humanity in that final stretch down Michigan Avenue, and beat me! He's a tough cookie.
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick on Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:55 pm

12.57 weeks from today! Very Happy 
 That was funny Michael!  Nice running lately!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:07 pm

@John Kilpatrick wrote:

12.57 weeks from today! Very Happy 
 That was funny Michael!  Nice running lately!
Thanks, John. Even I have my moments, I guess! Very Happy 

I finally got around to taking a nice walk last night, so counted that as my x-training. It was a beautiful evening, and a really nice walk, so I'm glad I decided to get off my butt.

This morning I really didn't feel like running up the hill for my 4 miler, so was glad I'd seen rain in the forecast for the morning, so I could stick to the mill and watch sportscenter instead. Except it wasn't raining when I got up, and I even checked the weather map on line and it wasn't about to rain, so I dutifully headed outside.

Despite my misgivings, I had a real nice little run, and it was quite enjoyable. So there.

My wife just called me to tell me that the contractor who is working on one of our several outbuildings to turn it into studio space for my wife happened to go into the attic of the barn for something (probably looking for trouble!) and noticed that one of the roof beams is cracked (apparently from the heavy snow last winter) and is in dire need of repair, or it might just collapse this winter! That's always a happy way to spend money! At least we learned about it before it fell down on me!
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:39 am

Last night I hurried home to get there in time for a nice family dinner (seems like a rare thing with the kids growing up - and in fact one of my daughters ending up missing it because she had planned a mid-week long run for her HM training plan, oh well). It had been a hectic day, and there was more work to do in the evening, but we managed to get the dinner in during a little dry spell. So that was good.

Later in the evening, during another short dry spell, I finished a job I started a little over a week ago, replacing the HVAC blower in my '97 Accord (one of my kids regularly drives this, and the blower just died on us at 177K miles!). I removed it last week, and now had the replacement, and had to get it put in. Not a complicated task, but a delicate one, because of the location, and the gyrations my 56 year old body has to go through to manhandle the thing into place and fasten it with three oddly placed screws.

I got it done, but not without going through one flashlight and really doing something to my lower back. Ouch. I just shouldn't have tried to get into that position!

I was worried it would affect my run this morning, but it did not, and the run did not aggravate it, so that's good. Going to be some gingerly movement and some Advil for a few days, probably. Hurts when I stand upright after sitting in particular.

Did a nice 7 miler this morning. Same course as last Wednesday's hilly 7 and almost exactly the same result. Nice run.
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:10 am

Chilly here this morning - nice!

4 miles up and down the hills. It was all good.

My back is still bad from the contortions in fixing the car, but it's better than it was, which is a good sign.

Onward and upward.
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:37 am

@Michael Enright wrote:Despite my misgivings, I had a real nice little run, and it was quite enjoyable. So there.
Good work getting out there despite not really wanting to.  Those are the runs that really make you a better runner.  When you still go out and do it even though you just don't feel like doing it.
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:36 pm

The weather has been really nice for running lately, and today was no different. About 70 and not humid for the 7 miler. I had a leisurely breakfast beforehand with my wife and our youngest, and headed out mid-morning. No hurry to beat heat or humidity, which is nice. Lots of people out there on the rail trail riding, hiking, strollering, running.

There was no set pace for this run - it's not a pace run on Hal's schedule today. I took off in the uphill direction, just moving along. First mile at just over 9:30. That was good, and as usual I picked up speed for the next mile - about 9:11. So I slowed it down just a touch for the third and final uphill mile - 9:20. Then the little relatively flat out and back for mile 4, 9:03, and I started heading back downhill. And I picked up some speed, as usual. 8:42, I think. That felt good. Then about 8:30, and that's not too far out of whack for that downhilliest mile. And then I thought, ok, I can average just under 9:00 if I have some fun here on the last mile, and I was feeling real good, so I hit the gas a bit, ran the last mile in 8:13 or something like that, and came in at just under 63 minutes, so an average of 8:59. A really nice run.

Gotta go mow the lawn!
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:50 am

15 miles this morning @ 9:29 per mile average. Perfect. Nice morning for it.

Only hitch was my 405. It did this once before not too long ago - I got to the first mile marker, and looked down at the watch, and it said something like .82, and I know that particular mile marker is right where it should be (though not all of them are!), so I was glad I knew the places to turn around, etc. for my splits. It did make it a bit more challenging to figure out the splits (I had it set to autolap, and didn't feel like stopping to turn that off and hit the splits manually). Whatever, I wasn't too worried about the splits, as long as I didn't get going too fast, and I could see at the first mile marker that I was at about 9:45, so was off to a good start. Ran the next one a little too fast, and then settled down to the right pace. Stopped at the car at 8.0 to switch water bottles and chug some before heading out in the other direction. Hit the gas on the last three miles, which are downhill, and brought it in right where I should have. Felt good at the end.

So, week 8 of MCM training is complete. I've stuck to HH Int I to the letter - I haven't even switched a day or flip-flopped the weekend runs. But I think that is coming to an end this week and next, as I will need to adjust things for my expected travel. That's ok, at this point I feel like I'm in good enough shape to move things around the way I normally would.
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:08 pm

Nice job on the run, and dealing with a Garmin on the fritz. Isn't it funny how well we have distances dialed in mentally? ("No, this can't be right. It shouldn't be a mile until the third mailbox after the maple tree on the left!)

I think you're definitely at a point to where you can shuffle runs around with a clear conscience. Just don't go *too* crazy with it. Smile
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:07 pm

@Mark B wrote:Nice job on the run, and dealing with a Garmin on the fritz. Isn't it funny how well we have distances dialed in mentally? ("No, this can't be right. It shouldn't be a mile until the third mailbox after the maple tree on the left!)

I think you're definitely at a point to where you can shuffle runs around with a clear conscience. Just don't go *too* crazy with it. Smile
Thanks Mark!
And it is funny how we have those dialed in. I certainly have that sense on the road by my house - I know just where those points are without looking at the watch. And on the trail, even where there are mile markers, I know which ones are slightly off, and where the right point is, and most of the half miles, too, which aren't marked. I was running with my daughter earlier this summer on the trail, and pointed out to her that mile marker No. 1 is actually marked a little long, and that the right point was actually "that tree." And she, of course, replied "Which tree??!! - We were running through the woods! But I sure knew which tree...
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:14 am

Good work on nailing the training run (even with a faulty garmin).  I always think of my schedules as guidelines and not written in stone.  The thing that I do agree with Hal's training is that you should try to get your long runs in.  They are the most critical to the program.  I am glad that the knee is still a non-issue Smile
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:26 am

You know what they say - real runners know exactly where one mile is from their house in all directions. Keep up the good work
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:53 pm

Thanks Nick and Michele!

As I suspected, I changed up the schedule out of necessity. I had to go to Wilmington and back yesterday, so ran the Tuesday morning 4 miler on the treadmill Monday night. Legs felt pretty good considering that I ran 15 the day before. Tuesday I had no chance to run.

Today, I have 5 on the schedule (cutback week), and couldn't do it this morning because I had my annual physical early this morning. Had a great checkup, by the way, all is good, which is nice to hear. Tonight I probably will not get it in, because I am committed to something until at least 8:30. So, I'll probably blow off the run today, run 5 miles tomorrow instead of the scheduled 4, and forget about the missed run. The weekend should hold together fine. No big deal.

There is no AC in the basement where the treadmill is, and that part of the basement is no cooler than the rest of the house, because it is a walkout there. Despite having a big window fan, it doesn't blow right on me. Man, does it become a sweatfest down there! I'm glad it's a basement, given the mess I make...
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:48 am

Did the 5 miler on the hills this morning. I felt tired during this run, and wasn't watching my time, thought I'd come in a little slower than usual, but was right where I normally am pace-wise. I seem sort of locked-in at the moment on the pace.

I might run the 4 miler on Friday, and just continue with the regular weekend runs for this week of the schedule, which is not that taxing because of the step-back.

I am really winding down on the mid-week morning runs, which will definitely be over by next Wednesday morning, when my daughter starts her senior year of high school, and I have to leave the house with her at about 6:50 a.m. to get her to school on time. That will turn into more treadmill miles, almost for sure, as I just have less time to play with in the evening and the roads here are nowhere near safe enough to run on in the dark. I still have the track if I have time to get over there, but the back and forth chews up time. In any event, my training during the weeknights will be a lot "flatter" than they have been so far this cycle.
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:02 am

So I went ahead and did the 4 miles on the treadmill this morning, nice and easy, just to get it in. I figured I could use the flat run as a bit of an easy run as it's a cutback week and I still did feel a little tired. It has just been a crazy week, for a lot of reasons, so I'm glad I took it a little easy.

The weekend runs are a bit light, so that should provide a nice chance to rest up a bit.
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:14 pm

Probably a good idea to take it easy this morning.  Hopefully you'll get the rest you need and hit the ground running, refreshed, next week.
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:35 am

@Nick Morris wrote:Probably a good idea to take it easy this morning.  Hopefully you'll get the rest you need and hit the ground running, refreshed, next week.
Thanks Nick. Felt really good this morning.
Another beautiful day here - August has been SWEET weather-wise this year. I headed out at about 10:00 a.m. for my 7 mile pace run. Temps were in the 60s the whole way, low humidity, not a cloud in the sky. Nice.

My garmin 405 screwed up again at the start (despite a hard reset I did, setting it back to factory default settings, after the Thursday run), and I could tell as I hit the first mile. Not too bad, but made my splits a bit suspect. And I can see on the map when I upload the data where it thinks I shorted the route by cutting through the woods and a bunch of back yards to straighten out the course. So, I'm thinking it lost the satellite completely for that half mile (or so) stretch, and just drew a straight line from the start to where it picked it back up again.

Despite that, I hit the splits just about right, and kept it pretty even, despite some uphill and downhill. I really enjoyed this one.

Busy day today, but should be fun.
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:57 pm

You've got to love the quirks of GPS! (I have a route where my Garmin routinely tells me I'm 45 feet below sea level.)

Still, it sounds like you're doing a great job of hitting the paces and continuing the slow building process. Keep at it! Though, if it's a hot autumn, you may want to invest in a excess-sweat-sucking sump pump for your basement. tongue 

Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M on Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:13 pm

Congrats on the good annual checkup.   I'm overdue for going in to the skin doc and you reminded me I need to get one of those sweet "all clear" messages soon.
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:08 pm

@Mark B wrote:You've got to love the quirks of GPS! (I have a route where my Garmin routinely tells me I'm 45 feet below sea level.)

Still, it sounds like you're doing a great job of hitting the paces and continuing the slow building process. Keep at it! Though, if it's a hot autumn, you may want to invest in a excess-sweat-sucking sump pump for your basement. tongue 

Once in a great while, mine will show that I plunged down about 1000 feet in the space of a tenth of a mile! Fortunately, I somehow survive.

As for the flood of treadmill induced sweat in the basement, it'll just flow out onto the patio, and then maybe into the pond!Very Happy 
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:10 pm

@Chris M wrote:Congrats on the good annual checkup.   I'm overdue for going in to the skin doc and you reminded me I need to get one of those sweet "all clear" messages soon.
Thanks, I always like getting those.

I sure do have to do a lot of routine maintenance, though. The annual physical. Once or twice a year of whole-body checks by the dermatologist (frequency dependent on what they've found and sliced or frozen off of me recently). Semiannual trips to the dentist. The eye doc every two years. What am I forgetting???

Get thee to Dermatology!
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:35 pm

Well, so much for the light weekend miles.

Beautiful morning here, perfect for a long run. Only, I just had 11 on the schedule. I'd been thinking about switching the long run with next weekend's, because I'll be in Atlanta with friends, and then on Monday when I'm back, I might want to run the New Haven Road Race (20K), which is one of my favorite races, so I'd either have to add mileage to the race, or run it as two runs. Bummer. But if I switched today's 11 with that 12.4, and ran the 17 or 18 that's on the card for next week, well now we're talking.

One potentially limiting factor - I didn't have any gu. Normally, for anything over 15 miles, I like to eat a couple of gels along the way. But I must have polished off whatever I had left when I did the two marathons last fall. And I've run training cycles where I didn't take in any carbs at all along the way, and other than getting more tired, I was fine. So not that big a deal for me on this run.

When I headed out, I really wasn't sure what I was going to do. I figured I'd start slow and just play it by ear. I left a note that I was going out for a 2 or 3 hour run.

I managed to start nice and easy. I think between yesterday's pace run and the uphill start, it really helped slow me down. I was 10:21 for the first mile. Then I sped up to under 10:00 for all of the remaining miles except one where I had a pee break and had to walk off the trail a ways to get some shelter, and one mile that I just ran slow, because it goes through a parking lot, onto the road, up and down some steep little hills, around some hairpin turns in the trail, etc. The fastest miles were in the high 9:20's, and the last mile was 9:25.

I felt good at the turn for an 11 mile run, and just kept going. So, I got 18 miles in, at an average pace of 9:45 "all in." Perfect! Felt great. Tired now, but not feeling overly stressed.

Need to remember to stop and get gu!
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top