365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Recommendations on books about running

+9
Mike MacLellan
Dave-O
charles
Mark B
Nick Morris
Schuey
Kenny B.
Mrs. Schuey
Seth Harrison
13 posters

Go down

Recommendations on books about running Empty Recommendations on books about running

Post  Seth Harrison Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:31 pm

My sixteen year-old daughter got me a bunch of gift cards for my birthday. One of them was a $25 Barnes & Noble card. I'm not looking for another training book, but something else that might strike my fancy. I've already read a few of what I consider to be the low hanging fruit of runners books (Once A Runner, Born to Run).
A book that someone, I don't remember who, recommended is "Running Home - 35 Moving meditations for Runners." by Toby Estler. Has anyone read that?
Any other recommendations???
Thanks!
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Recommendations on books about running Empty Re: Recommendations on books about running

Post  Mrs. Schuey Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:33 pm

The Quotable Runner

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=the+quotable+runner&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1159&bih=528&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=12823254769810813907&sa=X&ei=ilECTqWkJ8fr0gHWzpG6Dg&ved=0CDwQ8wIwAg
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Recommendations on books about running Empty Re: Recommendations on books about running

Post  Kenny B. Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:35 pm

Seth Harrison wrote:My sixteen year-old daughter got me a bunch of gift cards for my birthday. One of them was a $25 Barnes & Noble card. I'm not looking for another training book, but something else that might strike my fancy. I've already read a few of what I consider to be the low hanging fruit of runners books (Once A Runner, Born to Run).
A book that someone, I don't remember who, recommended is "Running Home - 35 Moving meditations for Runners." by Toby Estler. Has anyone read that?
Any other recommendations???
Thanks!

I recommended that. Loved the meditation while running aspect very comforting reading. Here is another book gor the ultra runner in you lol

Relentless forward progression by powell
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:38 pm

1.PRE The Story of America's Greatest Running Legend by Tom Jordan
2.Duel In The Sun by John Brant
3.C.C. Pyle's Amazing Foot Race by Geoff Williams
4. Strides by Benjamin Cheever

Edit: You might want to check this out Seth but I'm posting this more for our runners that are or are going to run Ultra marathons.

5.Running Through The Wall Personal Encounters With The Ultramarathon by Neal Jamison

Last edited by Schuey on Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:45 pm

Thanks Lisa, Kenny, Martin.
So Kenny, if you recommended it, I assume you thought it was good?

Schuey wrote:

Martin, two things about this book...1) I read it, and liked it a lot. 2) I know Ben Cheever. He lives about 15 minutes from me, and trains up at the Rockefeller Preserve. On Saturday mornings, he runs with a group that goes out at 7:30-8:00, and I go out with my group at about 9:00, so we see each other as he's finishing up and I'm just arriving. One more thing, his father is the famous author John Cheever.

Keep the recommendations coming...
Thanks!

Last edited by Seth Harrison on Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:46 pm

Runner's
World Run Less, Run Faster: Become a Faster, Stronger Runner with the
Revolutionary FIRST Training Program

http://www.amazon.com/Runners-World-Less-Faster-Revolutionary/dp/159486649X
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:50 pm

Here are a couple worth reading:

"Why We Run: A Natural History" by Bernd Heinrich. A little wonky, but a good read.

"Bowerman and the Men of Oregon" by Kenny Moore. A lot about running, with a bit of Oregon history thrown in.

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  charles Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:53 pm

May be considered low hanging fruit but I really loved Running with the Buffaloes

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Running-with-the-Buffaloes/Chris-Lear/e/9781585748044

Loved it!
charles
charles
Poster
Poster

http://www.memphis-defense.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:58 pm

I really enjoyed the Perfect Mile.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:00 pm

Seth Harrison wrote:Thanks Lisa, Kenny, Martin.
So Kenny, if you recommended it, I assume you thought it was good?

Schuey wrote:

Martin, two things about this book...1) I read it, and liked it a lot. 2) I know Ben Cheever. He lives about 15 minutes from me, and trains up at the Rockefeller Preserve. On Saturday mornings, he runs with a group that goes out at 7:30-8:00, and I go out with my group at about 9:00, so we see each other as he's finishing up and I'm just arriving. One more thing, his father is the famous author John Cheever.

Keep the recommendations coming...
Thanks!

Yes very much so the meditation book. The other book if ultras are in your future. are looking gor a novel or how to?

Read unbroken you will love it. Hands down best book about a runner and world war 2.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:04 pm

Kenny beat me to it. A ladyfriend's dad recently gave me his copy of Unbroken. I'm only about 30 pages into it, but it's really good and inspiring already. Fast read, too.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:10 pm

Lost city of z.

Not about runner but obsession with adventures in the amazon. True biography early 1900s.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Liz R Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:30 pm

The Kathrine Switzer bio.

I am dying to get my hands on Unbroken, too. Next long plane trip.

Liz R
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Mitchell Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:34 pm

The Four Minute Mile by Roger Bannister
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.letsrun.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:09 pm

Unbroken by Laura Hildebrand. It really is about running in theory, but it's a lot better than just that.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:15 pm

The Runner and the Path
Running and Being

I got both from a Runner's World list and enjoyed them both very much.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:37 pm

Awesome! Lots to choose from.
Thanks everyone!
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down