365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

stress reaction acetabulum

+7
Schuey
Seth Harrison
Michele "1L" Keane
fostever
John Kilpatrick
Mark B
wrichman
11 posters

Go down

stress reaction acetabulum Empty stress reaction acetabulum

Post  wrichman Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:42 pm

Hi all. I have a stress reaction in my acetabulum (bone in hip socket). It's an unusual bone to get a stress reaction/fracture in. Anyway, the doc. is now treating it like a fracture and put me on 6 more weeks of no running (after no running for 3 weeks with 2 test runs) and non-weight bearing with limited weight bearing exercise. No Boston, no Ice Age 50 Mile in May.
I tried coming back from my 100 miler WAY too quickly. Looking back, how was I so stupid!? Mad

I can't find much info on stress reactions/fractures in the acetabulum. Anyone hear of this or know anyone who's had one? I know John K. had a pelvic stress fracture in the past couple years. Any one else? I've been going through the stages of grief...I'm almost at acceptance (I think). Giving up my running goals and athletic, endurance mindset is the most difficult part of this for me. Any advice (physical, mental, emotional) is appreciated.
I'll swim and pool run, relearn how to sew and make some projects, and organize everything in my house. I'm still going to Boston for the weekend to cheer and visit my best friend and her new baby.
wrichman
wrichman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

stress reaction acetabulum Empty Re: stress reaction acetabulum

Post  Mark B Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:30 am

Oh, no! That stinks! So sorry, Whitney.

I don't have specific therapy advice, but do try to remember that this is only temporary. You'll heal, and get back to it.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:32 am

Ughhh. I was hoping it wasn't something like this. Can totally relate to the stages of grief thing. I don't think you were stupid - I've heard the same sorts of things myself but the truth is, how do we really know what we can handle when pushing this hard is new? It's not like there is some cookbook out there because everyone is different. Some people can run 150 mpw while some can handle 50 - and the only way to really find that out is to push the envelope. I've beaten myself up plenty over my hiccups - trust me, it isn't worth it. I've had people here tell me how stupid I'm being too. You know what? Forget about it.

I would recommend taking the whole 6 weeks off even if you feel good (which you probably will). Maybe do some swimming with a pull-bouy or something to totally rest that area. I yo-yo'd back and forth between feeling great and then reinjuring it - my guess is that if I would of taken more time then I would of been running consistently sooner. The other is to really ease back into things after the 6 weeks. I felt so good after my first time off (about two months if I remember correctly) that I really jumped back into things too quickly.

I don't know how much you like to swim, but I picked a 5K swim to do last fall - I'm not very fast, but it was a lot of fun and kept the competitive juices flowing. I did Insanity, P90, cycled, swam, etc. just to keep my sanity and am surprised that my fitness wasn't near as bad as I thought it would be even after a year of no consistent running. Words of encouragement - this won't be your last Boston and the ultras aren't going anywhere. I just saw yesterday that Deena Kastor post kids and a broken foot and some other setbacks just finished 3rd in the LA marathon at the age of 40.

Hang in there, give yourself the freedom to be mad and complain about it when you need to and you'll get through it in your own time. I'm sorry that it happened - if we could all live by looking at the rear-view mirror life wouldn't be much fun. Shit happens - take the time and you'll be back doing your thing...

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:17 pm

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. I've come to believe that these injuries are all part of the process of serious training. Lord knows you are one of the most dedicated serious trainers here or anywhere for that matter. Sometimes the body tells the brain "enough for now." The bright side of this can be you can and will come back stronger and will probably be wiser to boot. Hope you heal fast, congrats on all your accomplishments so far and the many in your future. Hopefully your hubby will appreciate a well organized house. My wife would rearrange everything many times over so be careful there. kidding.
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:26 pm

I'm so sorry to hear this Whitney! Although I have never had a stress reaction (that I know of), I was out most of last summer with an achilles issue - so I get it. Don't push it so you don't end up permanently on the couch - you have way too much more to offer the sport and it to you.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:38 am

So sorry to read about the stress reaction (fracture). The difference, as you know, is in degrees, but not necessarily in how long it takes before you're out there again.
Having had one diagnosed stress fracture (tibia) and more than one probable stress reaction, I can empathize.
It's sucks not being able to do anything for such a prolonged period of time. The only thing I can offer you is that the good thing about stress fractures (and I'm reasonably sure it's true regardless of the location of the injury), as opposed to other injuries, is that if you let it heal for the appropriate amount of time, you come back totally healed with no residual after effects. The important thing is to let it heal and not rush back too soon. As your doctor will probably tell you, that will mean some very easy test runs after you've rested it for however long you've been advised to. In my experience, until you can run with no discomfort to the area of the stress fracture, then the injury is not totally healed, and you're better off taking a bit more time off rather than resuming training too soon and re-aggravating it. In the end, if that means 12 weeks off instead of 10, that's not much of a difference if it means that you can return to training totally healed.
Good luck, and again, sorry to read about this.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  wrichman Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:48 am

Thanks for all the kind words and advice! It's nice to "talk" to people that get it.

John Kilpatrick wrote:Ughhh. I was hoping it wasn't something like this. Can totally relate to the stages of grief thing. I don't think you were stupid - I've heard the same sorts of things myself but the truth is, how do we really know what we can handle when pushing this hard is new? It's not like there is some cookbook out there because everyone is different. Some people can run 150 mpw while some can handle 50 - and the only way to really find that out is to push the envelope. I've beaten myself up plenty over my hiccups - trust me, it isn't worth it. I've had people here tell me how stupid I'm being too. You know what? Forget about it.

I would recommend taking the whole 6 weeks off even if you feel good (which you probably will). Maybe do some swimming with a pull-bouy or something to totally rest that area. I yo-yo'd back and forth between feeling great and then reinjuring it - my guess is that if I would of taken more time then I would of been running consistently sooner. The other is to really ease back into things after the 6 weeks. I felt so good after my first time off (about two months if I remember correctly) that I really jumped back into things too quickly.

I don't know how much you like to swim, but I picked a 5K swim to do last fall - I'm not very fast, but it was a lot of fun and kept the competitive juices flowing. I did Insanity, P90, cycled, swam, etc. just to keep my sanity and am surprised that my fitness wasn't near as bad as I thought it would be even after a year of no consistent running. Words of encouragement - this won't be your last Boston and the ultras aren't going anywhere. I just saw yesterday that Deena Kastor post kids and a broken foot and some other setbacks just finished 3rd in the LA marathon at the age of 40.

Hang in there, give yourself the freedom to be mad and complain about it when you need to and you'll get through it in your own time. I'm sorry that it happened - if we could all live by looking at the rear-view mirror life wouldn't be much fun. Shit happens - take the time and you'll be back doing your thing...

Thanks for all the advice, John. I know I wrecked my body at the 100, and did not let myself recover enough after. I think I was looking at what some other people were doing after 100s and thinking that's what I should be doing...but most of these people either have more experience with the distance or run them slower than I did. I got wrapped up in the excitement of it all and kept pushing. Fortunately, my body handled the high milage training well, and I really think all the hip and core stuff I do is why I got to the race healthy and well-trained and ran the race well.

I'm not thrilled with deep water running, but it's close to running and a good work-out. I just bought some new goggles to swim laps - I'm not much of a lap swimmer, but I'm going to try and embrace it. The frustrating thing about this is that there no "pain"...more of a deep ache in my hip or like something feels stuck in there. It bothers me the most when I'm sitting around or driving. Walking, using elliptical, swimming feels fine!
How did you do P90 and Insanity? There's so much jumping and impact stuff in those workouts...was this after you healed for a while?

fostever wrote:Sorry to hear of your misfortune. I've come to believe that these injuries are all part of the process of serious training. Lord knows you are one of the most dedicated serious trainers here or anywhere for that matter. Sometimes the body tells the brain "enough for now." The bright side of this can be you can and will come back stronger and will probably be wiser to boot. Hope you heal fast, congrats on all your accomplishments so far and the many in your future. Hopefully your hubby will appreciate a well organized house. My wife would rearrange everything many times over so be careful there. kidding.
Thank you Smile My husband travels for work and the company puts them in some nice hotels, so he always brings back the luxurious toiletries for me. I've been throwing them in a drawer for years...now I have organized and labeled them in quart ziplock bags: shampoo, conditioner, body wash, moisturizer. Talk about time on my hands!

Seth Harrison wrote:So sorry to read about the stress reaction (fracture). The difference, as you know, is in degrees, but not necessarily in how long it takes before you're out there again.
Having had one diagnosed stress fracture (tibia) and more than one probable stress reaction, I can empathize.
It's sucks not being able to do anything for such a prolonged period of time. The only thing I can offer you is that the good thing about stress fractures (and I'm reasonably sure it's true regardless of the location of the injury), as opposed to other injuries, is that if you let it heal for the appropriate amount of time, you come back totally healed with no residual after effects. The important thing is to let it heal and not rush back too soon. As your doctor will probably tell you, that will mean some very easy test runs after you've rested it for however long you've been advised to. In my experience, until you can run with no discomfort to the area of the stress fracture, then the injury is not totally healed, and you're better off taking a bit more time off rather than resuming training too soon and re-aggravating it. In the end, if that means 12 weeks off instead of 10, that's not much of a difference if it means that you can return to training totally healed.
Good luck, and again, sorry to read about this.

Thanks Seth. Doc. said 6 weeks...which was after 3 weeks with 2 test runs (I admit, they were longer than test runs). I know whenever I can run again, it's going to be the run/walk slow comeback. I went through that with a stress fx in my foot 6 years ago. I'm going to ask for an MRI when the 6 weeks is up to make sure everything is healed before I start running again.
wrichman
wrichman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:13 pm

BUMMER!!! After having 3 myself not fun or something easy to deal with. The last time I had one or should I say the last two were back in the winter of 07/08 leading up to Boston. Anyway that doesn't matter but what I do think matters is that you have are now on 3 weeks of no running and dealing with the fact that you can't run because of the injury. So what does that mean time to get over the fact that you have a Stress fracture.

There is always a time and place to be angry/sad and it sounds like you have gone through that phase or maybe still going through it. Best thing I can tell is move on. The sooner you can move on and focus on the healing and doing the training you can do the better off you will be. I only say that because when I did that with mine it allowed me to focus on the positive of training and healing. The energy was so much better spent doing that they beating myself up over something that had already been done and could not be undone with out the process of the body healing itself. Part of the healing was me being positive and focusing on what I could take care of and that was training.

On another note man I love the deep water running! That was what help make me stronger and made it possible to run Boston in 08. At the time there is no doubt that I was in the best aerobic shape I had ever been in after 4 months of pool running. Then again I would do it for 3 to 4 hours at time. If you can stick with it and I promise that you will come out of it a stronger runner and your aerobic shape will all be there. The only thing you will have to allow your body to get use to is the pounding of running on the roads again.

Best of luck with it all! Still a huge bummer but move forward Whitney and keep your head-up!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:44 pm

Sorry to hear it! If it helps at all, I thought that when I had a stress reaction that the healing and comeback were much, much easier than when I had a stress fracture. I was able to pool run with the stress reaction and I didn't really need to do any serious run/walk when I came back. I just went straight to short slow runs. When I had the fracture, I couldn't pool run at first and I did run/walk for several weeks (I think 18 days) with my comeback. Mine were not in the hip though. They were both fibula.
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

http://beautyandfashiontech.com

Back to top Go down

Post  wrichman Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:09 am

Schuey wrote:BUMMER!!! After having 3 myself not fun or something easy to deal with. The last time I had one or should I say the last two were back in the winter of 07/08 leading up to Boston. Anyway that doesn't matter but what I do think matters is that you have are now on 3 weeks of no running and dealing with the fact that you can't run because of the injury. So what does that mean time to get over the fact that you have a Stress fracture.

There is always a time and place to be angry/sad and it sounds like you have gone through that phase or maybe still going through it. Best thing I can tell is move on. The sooner you can move on and focus on the healing and doing the training you can do the better off you will be. I only say that because when I did that with mine it allowed me to focus on the positive of training and healing. The energy was so much better spent doing that they beating myself up over something that had already been done and could not be undone with out the process of the body healing itself. Part of the healing was me being positive and focusing on what I could take care of and that was training.

On another note man I love the deep water running! That was what help make me stronger and made it possible to run Boston in 08. At the time there is no doubt that I was in the best aerobic shape I had ever been in after 4 months of pool running. Then again I would do it for 3 to 4 hours at time. If you can stick with it and I promise that you will come out of it a stronger runner and your aerobic shape will all be there. The only thing you will have to allow your body to get use to is the pounding of running on the roads again.

Best of luck with it all! Still a huge bummer but move forward Whitney and keep your head-up!

dude, how the heck did you pool run for 3-4 hours at one time!? Hail! It's so boring - at least at my pool it is - only half the 25 meter pool is deep enough to pool run. I put my ipod in a bun on top of my head. But the belt gets quite uncomfortable after a while.
As for focusing on healing....my attitude is changing and progressing every day. I have to say that I don't mind no running so much today when the wind chill was 5 degrees or something.

carleenp wrote:Sorry to hear it! If it helps at all, I thought that when I had a stress reaction that the healing and comeback were much, much easier than when I had a stress fracture. I was able to pool run with the stress reaction and I didn't really need to do any serious run/walk when I came back. I just went straight to short slow runs. When I had the fracture, I couldn't pool run at first and I did run/walk for several weeks (I think 18 days) with my comeback. Mine were not in the hip though. They were both fibula.

Thank you - that's very encouraging. Apparently hip and pelvic stress reactions/fractures are quite serious and take longer to heal. meh!
wrichman
wrichman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Coleman Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:16 am

No experience, so no good advice - just condolence. It's terribly frustrating to reach a level of fitness over a long time and to see it reduce quickly. I think you have to get to like that pool running! It could also be an opportunity to take up or resume some other sports like swimming and (if injury allows) cycling.

Chris Coleman
Chris Coleman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:59 am

wrichman wrote:How did you do P90 and Insanity? There's so much jumping and impact stuff in those workouts...was this after you healed for a while?

Just checking in to see how it is going - I started doing the cross training stuff about 6 months after I hurt myself the first time and about a month after I hurt it again, so I was healed somewhat. I couldn't run without pain, but the plyo stuff was less impact than pounding the pavement - I can't say that I loved every minute of it, but it kept me active and feeling like I was doing something - the same way that swimming did I guess.

Hang in there - I know it will feel like a LONG time, but it will pass soon enough...

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  wrichman Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:29 am

John Kilpatrick wrote:
wrichman wrote:How did you do P90 and Insanity? There's so much jumping and impact stuff in those workouts...was this after you healed for a while?

Just checking in to see how it is going - I started doing the cross training stuff about 6 months after I hurt myself the first time and about a month after I hurt it again, so I was healed somewhat. I couldn't run without pain, but the plyo stuff was less impact than pounding the pavement - I can't say that I loved every minute of it, but it kept me active and feeling like I was doing something - the same way that swimming did I guess.

Hang in there - I know it will feel like a LONG time, but it will pass soon enough...

Hi John. Thanks for asking. It's actually going well (knock on some wood!). I haven't felt any discomfort in my hip or pelvis in 6 days. I forget I'm "injured" sometimes. I have been using a bone growth stimulator machine 2x/day, getting ART on adductors and hip flexors at PT, and getting ultrasound/stim combo at PT.
I can swim, upper body weights and core, pool run, bike, walk, and use elliptical w/out any pain or discomfort (pt said I could do some elliptical and walking as long as I felt nothing). I know I'm on no running for 4 more weeks even if I feel good, so that's annoying...and it's going to be a run-walk program coming back.
wrichman
wrichman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  cush Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:01 pm

You must be close to getting back out there. How are things going?

cush

Back to top Go down

Post  wrichman Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:06 pm

cush wrote:You must be close to getting back out there. How are things going?

I had another MRI 1 1/2 weeks ago - showed healing, but not 100% healed at that time. Almost.
Going back to doc. this Wed. I'm hoping she'll say I can start running.

I've been doing the elliptical, walking 3+ miles, and even did some Insanity/high intensity intervals on Thursday (jumping jacks, squat jumps, burpees, etc.) and felt fine during and afterwards. I was pretty sore after, but not in my pelvis or hip area....all muscles I haven't used in a while kind of sore.
I'm kinda scared to run again b/c I'm afraid of re-injury.
wrichman
wrichman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:07 pm

Keeping my fingers crossed for you Whitney!!!!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  amyjoann Tue May 07, 2013 2:38 pm

sorry to hear about your injury,I don't know much about that specifically but I would recommend drinking lots of dairy,to help healing. Maybe if you could coach a new running group or some girls on the run that would give you focus and help time go by. this time off will make you very very grateful for running when you are able to get out there again............and you will be out there again killing it!
amyjoann
amyjoann
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down