365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Albany half marathon

+8
ssilvert
Dave Wolfe
Michael Enright
Mark B
mountandog
Gobbles
Michele "1L" Keane
John Kilpatrick
12 posters

Go down

Albany half marathon Empty Albany half marathon

Post  John Kilpatrick Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:07 pm

I wasn't going to do this, but it comes once a year and I decided at the last minute to run the Albany half marathon. I saw my PT friday afternoon and his thought was go for it (we have been working together for only three weeks now and whatever is happening is very very good - pelvis thing still hurts a little, but he has been doing some dry needling and it seems to help - he also thinks that racing isn't necessarily going to hurt it worse and, if it does, he feels like we can work through it as long as I cool it if and when it does really flare up). It was cold at the starting line (well, south Georgia cold anyway which means mid to low 30s) and so I waited in my car until the last minute. One real advantage of a smaller race is that I parked something like 50 yards from the starting line and I got there about 45 minutes before the race started. Don't think you could get away with that at Boston/Chicago/etc. Friday night was nerve wracking - had no idea what would happen because I haven't ran over 8 miles in a while and don't exactly have the greatest history with injuries - I have started following a Hanson marathon plan and it has been suiting me well so far, but just no real long runs yet (tomorrow is my first 10 miler). I took yesterday off from running and figured racing today was enough for two days. I felt almost like I did before my one and only marathon (nerves) but with no real expectations - the McMillan race calculator suggested a 1:30 was possible, but I haven't been training consistently or haven't had long runs enough to be in race shape.

Anyway, the race started and the temp worked out perfect - wore tri shorts, compression shirt and a long-sleeve shirt, gloves and an earband. Perfect. Forced myself to slow down early in the race and just chugged out the miles. Started to feel really tired at about 8 miles but at mile 10 I knew I could finish at my pace even though I knew I would be pushing it. Ran just behind a girl (she was awesome) who basically served as a pacer until we finished. Every time that I felt a little tired and wanted to slow down I said in my head "thank you God for allowing me to run again". And I meant it - can't even begin to describe how it feels to be back out on a race course competing.

I am so excited and am really feeling some hope now that this thing might be turning around. I'm not perfect and still have some pain, but I am under treatment and am feeling a little better it seems as we go. None of the three races that I have done (5K, 9.11K, 13.1M) have really hurt that bad and I don't feel beat up really at all after this morning.

I managed to finish in 1:30:15 and won first in my age group (I know, I know, that is not that fast, but a lot of the faster people were running the full and the Albany marathon isn't exactly pulling in the Ryan Hall's of the world). Anyway, for where I'm coming from I consider it a good start and I'm happy. Thanks for reading and thanks for the support and, more importantly, the inspiration I get from you all.

My splits:
6:57
6:49
6:52
6:56
6:55
6:51
6:32 (don't know what happened there)
6:39 (ditto)
6:42
6:53
6:55
6:48
6:56
last .23 miles (by my garmin) 6:46 pace

Cheers!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Albany half marathon Empty Re: Albany half marathon

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:35 pm

Awesome job, John and congrats on the AG win! Keep up the good work and just remember to listen to your body and you'll get through this.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Gobbles Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:01 pm

Congrats John, I thought your name looked familiar in the results.

I ran the 1/2 also, plus ran 3 of my friends in over the final miles of the marathon all BQs (and one $$$). So I ran about 21 miles on the course. Surprised
I ran a PR there today - surprised after have a bit too much beer last night and having to run back ~50 yards for a dropped glove.

The course played a bit long due to the coning and all the turns. Great Race - hope to do it again.

Steven
Gobbles
Gobbles
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:25 pm

fantastic result - oh yeah and the time and place were pretty good too. Great to see you back in the saddle.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:21 pm

Congrats, John! That's a great time, and great placing. Whatever you've been doing as you recover, keep it up, because it's working. Approval
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:44 pm

That's great to hear - awesome job!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Wolfe Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:35 pm

Looks like you are coming back strong.
Dave Wolfe
Dave Wolfe
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:47 am

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Awesome job, John and congrats on the AG win! Keep up the good work and just remember to listen to your body and you'll get through this.
Thanks Michele - woke up to do a scheduled 10 miler this morning. Four miles in was just barely beginning to feel some knee pain - and I stopped the run before it really hurt. That is a first - I'm a lunkhead, but am slowly learning...

Gobbles wrote:Congrats John, I thought your name looked familiar in the results.

I ran the 1/2 also, plus ran 3 of my friends in over the final miles of the marathon all BQs (and one $$$). So I ran about 21 miles on the course. Surprised
I ran a PR there today - surprised after have a bit too much beer last night and having to run back ~50 yards for a dropped glove.

The course played a bit long due to the coning and all the turns. Great Race - hope to do it again.

Steven
Holy smokes - just looked up your race and you were AWESOME!!! My garmin said 13.2, so I was wondering if the course was a little long. No bigee - there is usually way more fan support but the weather kept many people away. Wish I knew you guys were coming - next time we will have to try and hook up. Oh, and I apologize for our local race announcer guy - he unfortunately is a local DJ, does all of our events, and is annoying as hell...

mountandog wrote:fantastic result - oh yeah and the time and place were pretty good too. Great to see you back in the saddle.
Thanks! Maybe I can have a year like you had last year some time!!!

Mark B wrote:Congrats, John! That's a great time, and great placing. Whatever you've been doing as you recover, keep it up, because it's working. Albany half marathon 424776184
Thanks Mark!

Michael Enright wrote:That's great to hear - awesome job!
Thanks Michael!

Dave Wolfe wrote:Looks like you are coming back strong.
Thanks Dave - I sure hope so...

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ssilvert Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:55 pm

Congrats on a nice race on minimal training.

This was my first time in Albany. You guys do a great job on the race and the hospitality.

Stan
ssilvert
ssilvert
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:31 am

SOLID performance especially with limited prep. Congrats on the AG win, don't downplay it, you deserve it, John!
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:24 pm

Great job John. Nice consistant splits. Congrats on the AG win. Keep plugging away.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:41 pm

What a wonderful surprise. Congrats on a very quick time and AG.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:18 pm

Congrats, John! Remember, speed is relative to your reader and for me....1:30 is fast! Glad to hear it's working out for you and that you have a PT that knows his/her stuff.
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down