365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Boston...the sequel

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Boston...the sequel

Post  Seth Harrison on Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:46 am

First taper run. Six miles on flat trails. Quads still pretty tired. Everything else is ok.

Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:00 pm

Looks good Seth!
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison on Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:13 pm

Just a quick note for now...Boston may be in jeopardy. On Thursday, during a very easy 6 mile taper run, my calf, which had caused me to miss 3 1/2 weeks of training, tightened up again. It was no better during today's six miler. I'll see the doctor on Monday and we'll see what the week brings. If it feels like it did today, I don't see how I can possibly justify making the trip up to Boston and even attempting to run a marathon. It's very depressing, but I've done the best I can to train through the mess that my leg is in, with the goal of running a just a decent Boston for my last marathon. Not much else to report today. I'll update my blog in a couple of days when I see where things stand. In the meantime, I'm still holding out hope that I can get this fixed in time.
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:26 pm

Don't count it out yet. I hurt my calf doing repeat 1500s on the Tuesday before Big Sur (sunday). I stretched, rested, took ibruprofen and basically did nothing until a test run on the trail in Monterey on Saturday morning. All systems were go and I ran a great race the next morning.

Not sure what kind of Doc you are seeing - but hopefully one who can do some Graston, ART, and ultrasound. All massage the area as that will help the blood flow and get things back to normal.

Last edited by Michele "1L" Keane on Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki on Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:33 am

Hope the appointment with the doctor went well and that you're able to toe the line next Monday.
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison on Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:17 pm

Thanks Michele and Alex.
I went to the doctor this morning and had the first of three EPAT treatments (here's a link if you want to learn about EPAT bit.ly 14ZAFus )
I had four EPAT treatments when I had the original calf strain in the middle of the training for Boston, and after the fourth treatment, I was able to resume training. This issue seems to be lower on the leg than the first strain. It's right at where the achilles meets the soleus, so my doctor thinks that there is some achilles tendonitis involved. She also says that EPAT has proven to be very effective with AT. The plan will be for two more treatments (tomorrow and Thursday, with a trip to the physical therapist on Wednesday). If on Friday, I can run with no issues, then I'll go to Boston. If the test run on Friday isn't what I hope, than I'll most likely stay home.
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison on Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:09 am

After three EPAT treatments and one trip to the PT this week, my test run this morning was successful, so I'll head up to Boston tomorrow morning. I think I'm finally wrapping my mind around the idea of treating this last marathon as a victory lap and trying my best to just enjoy the experience. Given the shape my leg is in and the fact that I'm nowhere close to peak marathon shape, anything more is probably a recipe for disaster. I've already achieved every goal I set for myself when I started running marathons, and I have nothing left to prove to myself. After a really stressful week, where it all came down to a stupid 2 1/2 mile test run, I can now try to relax and make plans to enjoy the entire weekend in Boston. I'm finally looking forward to it.
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:55 am

I'm sorry that this last build-up went so sideways on you, Seth. Here's to making the best of it and having a great time enjoying all that the Boston Marathon has to offer.
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison on Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:58 am

@Mark B wrote:I'm sorry that this last build-up went so sideways on you, Seth. Here's to making the best of it and having a great time enjoying all that the Boston Marathon has to offer.

Thanks Mark! That's definitely the plan.
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:33 pm

See you soon! Seems like we are in the same mindset.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top