365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dissertating And Running

+9
Schuey
Dave P
Kenny B.
dot520
Jerry
Seth Harrison
Mark B
Michele "1L" Keane
Michael Mitchell
13 posters

Page 15 of 16 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 15 Empty Re: Dissertating And Running

Post  Mark B Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:45 am

Yikes. Hang in there, Michael. Water damage, injury... yep. Those are not fun. But I'm glad the bike seems to be helping, and that you've got a gear upgrade that should keep you on the path to recovery. Good luck.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 15 Empty The Corner May Have Been Turned

Post  Michael Mitchell Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:13 pm

Mark B wrote:Yikes. Hang in there, Michael. Water damage, injury... yep. Those are not fun. But I'm glad the bike seems to be helping, and that you've got a gear upgrade that should keep you on the path to recovery. Good luck.

Thanks Mark. Yeah, I am trying. Ok, good news. I ran. Yes, I ran. For 52 minutes, I ran (5 miles). I started from a 15 minute walk to a 9:50 pace. There were times during the run my legs wanted faster, but I did not give in. It was ok for the most part. There was tightness, but I expected that. I will run again today, but this time I will start from a 12 minute pace then progress onward. My stopping point is 9:45 pace. I will run for 50 minutes. I am thinking it will be 5 miles. I biked today for 60 minutes at level 8. That gives me 390 minutes for the week. Wowzers on that. If I do not see you all, I will be on a cruise ( yes, I am running..Smile . Starting on Sunday evening, we are leaving. I will bike for 60 minutes in the morning.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.letsrun.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:28 pm

Just take it easy, Michael and you'll be back to that 7 miles in no time.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 15 Empty Shipping Time

Post  Michael Mitchell Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:16 am

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Just take it easy, Michael and you'll be back to that 7 miles in no time.

I hope so one L. Ran 5 miles in 50 minutes yesterday. Started at a 12 minute pace and slowly got down to a 9:45 pace. The 9:45 pace was for 20 minutes. So far, so good. Today, I will start around a 11:30 pace and get down to a 9:30 pace for 50 minutes. This will be on the cruise ship. I will have one hour today to do anything I want, so there ya go. I am hoping to be at an 8:15 pace by this Saturday. We shall see. Soleus is tight, but loosens up in the morning. I think ( I know) the new inserts were the answer. Do we have to do this every year? I hope not, but I am prepared. $250 a year is worth my running. Will bike for 1 to 2 hours, on the ship, after my run tomorrow. I am aiming for 20 miles running this week. Will talk to you all Sunday, October 5. Take care.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 15 Empty Crusing With An Attitude

Post  Michael Mitchell Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:59 pm

Yep. Cruise. Yep, it was good. For me, really good. Ran 17 miles this past week. Monday was on the track. Yes, the track. It was outside. It was hot. Yes, I am not a paper tiger. Smile. 45:03 for 5 miles. I was shocked and was really happy. This was with a stiff wind coming at me half of the time. 35 laps, 7 laps per mile. Tuesday was a treadmill day. Yes, it was a good. 53:45 for 6 miles. I was getting faster. Woo hoo. It was tight, but good. I took the next three days off. I ran on Saturday. I set it at an 8:49 pace and ran a 53:00 for 6 miles. Gave me 17 miles for the week. Very happy. I am using compression socks and that helps. I also biked for 310 minutes the whole week. I was getting up early and biking at level 11. Butt is sore, but doable. I took the whole day off on Sunday. I just could not get up early this morning. I tried. LOL. I will run an 8:30 pace for one hour today at 5:15. I will do this for two days and then take a review of what is going on. So far, so good.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:05 pm

Yeah!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 15 Empty Trying

Post  Michael Mitchell Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:08 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Yeah!

Yeah One L, we shall see. I am hoping. I am thinking 8 minute pace by end of this week. Smile
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 15 Empty Biking For A Reason

Post  Michael Mitchell Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:00 am

Yep. 1 hour. 700 calories gone. Wooo Hoo. I did not get to run yesterday. Left work at 4 pm. Did not get to my son until 5 pm. Why? Fuel spill. Lovely. Did not get home until 6 pm. Way too late. Ugghh. Oh well. That means 5 runs in a row. I really wanted to run the Monster Mash 10K this Saturday, but my soleus is still at that point of not quite healed. Rather run The Woodlands 5 Miler on Thanksgiving at a much faster pace than risk injury. Today at 5:10 pm, 7 miler at an 8:30 pace. Will do that for two days, then 8:15 pace for two days and then an 8 minute pace for Saturday. This should be 35 miles and a good look at the future. Smile. I have 60 minutes biking this week.

PS: Edit, would love to do that 5 miler at a 6:45 pace. That would be so cool. We shall see.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:08 am

Progress!! Good to see.

Have you tried calf sleeves before? They seem to be helping.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 15 Empty Compression Socks

Post  Michael Mitchell Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:15 am

Mark B wrote:Progress!! Good to see.

Have you tried calf sleeves before? They seem to be helping.

Yes. All the time. Smile. Wearing recovery socks as we speak.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 15 Empty Wonkey Here and Wonkey There

Post  Michael Mitchell Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:16 am

6 miles yesterday at 5:30 pm. I did 4 miles at an 8:30 pace and 2 miles at an 8:23 pace. Everything was ok until the 50 minute mark. It got wonkey and i just manipulated my running until 51:15 for 6 miles. Positives, fastest run in 6 weeks. Second positive, the tightness in the soleus is gone this morning. Third positive, I should be ok for a 59:16-60:00 minute run this afternoon. All in all, we are good. I did not get up early enough to get my bike in this morning. Ughh. I guess I was more tired than first thought. I will try to get it in the afternoon, but I have 5 pages on my dissertation to get in and now (uggh) I have get a presentation for a conference THIS Saturday ready. Yeah, the conference. As the academics on this forum now, conferences and books and journal articles are our life blood. We have do to them. Well, this is professional development, so yeah, has to be done. Also, this is the local flavor part of my dissertation ( a chapter deals with Houston). So, has to be done. Well, my abstract was accepted in May of this year. I knew that the conference was in October, but not the date. I sent emails twice a month from May to now, but no word. Nothing. I thought the conference might get canceled. The emails bounced back.  Get this. I get an email stating I am presenting this SATURDAY at 2:15 pm. Yes, seriously. They never updated the website. Nothing. I have to do this conference because of my research and my professional career. I am not happy, but it will get done. Uggh. They told me, well we are giving you lunch. Sure. Ok. Ughh. So, my run Thursday will be at 2 pm because I have to take my child to soccer practice at 6 pm. Cossaboom. Fun times. Great. Here is my schedule for Saturday:

5:30 am- run with BIL. He is training for Houston, so I have not been able to run with him for 7 weeks. He is at a 15 minute pace, so it is not that taxing. I have to get him to a 12 minute pace. The walkers are beating him. LOL

8 am- Mow. My lawn is jungle out there. The HOA is going to get us if I do not
10 am-Go over my presentation
12 noon- my son's soccer game. We are 2-0. We are pretty good. The New York Crushers.
1 pm- leave soccer game to get to the conference 30 minutes away
2:30 pm- present at conference
3:30 pm- be home
5 pm- Run 7 miles at an 8 to 8:05 pace

Fun. Smile
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:35 pm

That just sounds like the day of a typical Mom (lol!).  Glad to see the running coming back.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 15 Empty Slowly Trajecting Upward

Post  Michael Mitchell Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:25 am

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:That just sounds like the day of a typical Mom (lol!).  Glad to see the running coming back.

Yeah, you and me both one L. I am telling you, this has been the most trying time of my career. Even during high school and college ( and afterward), I have never been down 6 weeks without running. Very frustrating. Ok, yesterday. It was ok. I was wearing my compression socks and right before I was to run, my left soleus was hurting. I was like, no no no, not again. I was about to bag the run. Literally, just bag it. That has been my default these past 6 weeks. Well, I said, let us try something else. Let us run without socks. Oh my gosh. Now, that is how I ran in high school and college. Well, I started out a 10 minute pace. Then I slowly got faster. The soleus started to loosen up. I went through the first mile at 9:08. I slowly started getting faster. I was at a 8:23 pace for the last three miles. The legs felt good. Left soleus was there, but not like yesterday. All in all, good for 51:30 for 6 miles. I felt ok. I biked 50 minutes this morning at level 11. That gives me 110 minutes for the week. I have 12 miles running. I will run at 3:45 pm today at the house. I am looking for a 8:23/8:17 blend for 7 miles. Anything from 59:18 and under is good right now. The goal for Sunday is 56:42, but I digress. We shall see what happens.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:06 am

Good job playing it by feel, Michael. There are times when you have to stop looking at the instruments and fly by the seat of your pants. Sounds like this is one of those times. Keep moving, and you'll be in a good position when life lets some of the steam out of the pressure cooker you're in.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 15 Empty Hoping

Post  Michael Mitchell Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:20 am

Mark B wrote:Good job playing it by feel, Michael. There are times when you have to stop looking at the instruments and fly by the seat of your pants. Sounds like this is one of those times. Keep moving, and you'll be in a good position when life lets some of the steam out of the pressure cooker you're in.

I hope so Mark. I really do. This conference and the way it has been handled still has me steamed. I have to get over it, but still so amateurish. My running, yeah it is coming around. If I can get to 8 minute pace by Monday, I am on schedule. I would love to be back at a 7:30 pace by late October, but you are right, play it by feel.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 15 Empty Good Week For Me

Post  Michael Mitchell Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:44 pm

Good week. It was 24 miles. The last two 6 milers were good. 51:25 and 49:55. Very good progress. I ended up with 150 minutes biking. All in all, very good. Now the bad. Sunday, I am cleaning. I am moving my treadmill to get a better angle at the television. I moved it 4 inches. Yes, 4 inches. I wrenched my bike. Totally. I could not do anything. Sit down. Sit up. Nothing. No run. No bike. So today, I had to take a day off from work. My DC/PA worked his magic and we are good. Now, I am still sore and I am going to take today off from running. It is still sore to get up from a sitting position. I will bike for an hour at level 11, so that will help. The running. Well, I have 7 mile runs planned from Tuesday to Saturday. I am at an 8:20 pace, so 8 minute pace is still doable by Friday. With 5 days, that is 35 miles. That is the best week and fastest I will have run in 8 weeks. All in all, pretty good. Talk to you later. Smile
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 15 Empty We Are Done

Post  Michael Mitchell Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:19 pm

I am trying to recover. Back still hurts. I am using Salonpas on it. Not sure if it is helping. Got home late, so no run. I tried a small jog. Hurts. I do get to see my DC/PA tomorrow at 6 pm. Maybe, just maybe the pain will abate enough for 8 total miles tomorrow. This is so frustrating. Goodness. Going to go bike right now. I guess I could watch something. Rocky Balboa. Who knows. Ugghh. If (big IF I can get 8 per day, that is 32 miles. Still better than last week..LOL)

Edit: No bike this day. I just was in a funk and it lasted all day.

Last edited by Michael Mitchell on Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 15 Empty Today is the Day

Post  Michael Mitchell Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:46 am

No matter what. Damn the torpedoes. It is over. I am done. I will run today. Pain or no pain. I know there will be some jarring, but I will get the run done. The goal is an 8:20 pace (or 8:13 pace) for 7 miles with a one mile warm up. I have to do this for 4 days. I can do this. Smile. If, and this is a big IF, I can do that and get to an 8 minute pace by Saturday, then I have another hurdle that I have crossed. The back is sore, but much better than yesterday. It is sore, but I can at least bend over halfway. I will have my DC/PA look at me at 6 pm to do ART on my back and soleus. We are still good. Right on schedule. I biked for one hour this morning at level 11. I have 120 minutes this week.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 15 Empty Still Hurting

Post  Michael Mitchell Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:54 pm

I am still hurting, but we are going to give it a shove today. Will shove off at 4 pm and see what happens. It will be at an 8:20 pace and the goal is 58 minutes. I am thinking the first mile will be wonkey...and then it should loosen up by then. We shall see. As always, take each 10 minutes and view the inventory. See what happens. ART today at 6 pm
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:59 pm

It's amazing how things keep popping up (or out, in the case of your back) to keep derailing our plans.

Hang in there, Michael! You can outlast this.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:51 pm

Are you still in warranty?

I hope you'll get your run in with the purdy weather we have.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 15 Empty 34 and Half Years

Post  Michael Mitchell Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:18 am

Mark B wrote:It's amazing how things keep popping up (or out, in the case of your back) to keep derailing our plans.

Hang in there, Michael! You can outlast this.

I am trying Mark. Really, I am. LOL
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 15 Empty Under Warranty?

Post  Michael Mitchell Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:19 am

ounce wrote:Are you still in warranty?

I hope you'll get your run in with the purdy weather we have.

Nahh oz, I think that ended years ago. Yeah, I got 5 miles in yesterday. This weather is purrrrfect. We have a weak front coming on Monday to knock us back down to the low 80's. I will say the AO ( Arctic Oscillation) has tanked to negative 4.7 degrees. What does that mean? COLD!!!
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 15 Empty Finally

Post  Michael Mitchell Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:24 am

Finally. Finally. Finally. I ran. Yes, I ran. First time in three days. I ran. Started slowly, but ended up at an 8:20 pace to end at 5 miles (41:55). It was ok. The left gastroc was yelling at me ( yeah, not the right soleus), but it was ok. Legs are good today. Will run 7 miles between 57:30 and 58:30 today at Cossaboom. Well, it is very dry out there. How humid could it be in there? Ha ha. I have to because I have a meeting from 2-3 pm today and then leave at 4 pm, to get my child at 5:30 to take him to soccer practice at 6 pm. Will not be home until 7:15 pm. Lovely. At least the run will be done. I have 5 miles this week. I biked for 40 minutes this morning. It took me forever to get on that bike. I have a 60 minute bike ride scheduled tomorrow and Saturday. I have a slim chance to get 30 miles in this week. It will take a one mile warm up, 7 miles and one mile cool down on Friday and Saturday to get that done. We shall see. There is also a slim chance. Slim chance I could see 8:06 pace Saturday. We shall see. It is looking more like Sunday.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:02 pm

Looks like it's coming along.  2 steps forward, 1-1/2 backwards.

As far as the weather, it'd be great to see cool for the Half on the 26th, but I'm not betting anything.  (It rained last year)
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 16 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next