365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dissertating And Running

+9
Schuey
Dave P
Kenny B.
dot520
Jerry
Seth Harrison
Mark B
Michele "1L" Keane
Michael Mitchell
13 posters

Page 14 of 16 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 14 Empty Re: Dissertating And Running

Post  Dave P Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:56 pm

Here's to the starting of a fresh new week!
Dave P
Dave P
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 14 Empty No No No

Post  Michael Mitchell Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:37 am

Well, I was really looking forward to this run. I was amped up. I started slow and gradually got faster. I was at a 9:50 pace by the 1.35 mile mark and WHAMMO. Pulled again. Yep. Plan B on both the DC/PA and Orthotist will be put in place. I will say ( not sure if this is in my mind or not) that the Kinseo tape seemed to work. Maybe I have to run with it. Who knows? I have a 5 pm appointment with the PA today. It is shot time. Oh boy. Not. As far as the orthotist, we have the new inserts just ready to be started on. That will happen. Sigh. I did bike 16 miles ( or one hour) this morning, so that is out of the way. Still keeping my weight at a healthy level. Oh and I will call the Valeo PT folks. I want to use their Alter G. I want it set at 20 percent. I will do my exercises after my run. We shall see if they agree. Sigh.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.letsrun.com

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 14 Empty Still Cautiously Optomistic

Post  Michael Mitchell Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:56 am

Well, ART was done yesterday. Soleus feels better. Have Kinseo tape on. That has helped a ton. I am being released to run at 5 pm on Wednesday. We shall hope. I bike at 5 pm today. I did put in my order for the inserts. I will find out when I pick them up today. We will be running again. We will get back to running an 8 minute pace by September 15-20. I have 120 hours this week biking.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 14 Empty No Bike Yesterday

Post  Michael Mitchell Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:33 am

No bike yesterday. That is ok. I can live with it. Will bike one hour at the 7 setting at 12 noon at the infamous Cossaboom. Oh yeah, it will be hot and sweaty ( even in the bike room where it is "cold"). The bikes are right beside the door coming in from the outside. Fun. Have to see about my A/C in my car. The compressor is not kicking in during the hot part of the day. Yep, you guessed it. Hot, hot and hot. Also, I am supposed to get ART done today, but I do wonder why? Are we just beating a dead horse? LOL. I looked back at my blogs to see how long it took the new orthotics to work. Three days. I noticed in my blog that the soleus started to loosen up only a few hours after getting them. I am 99.9 percent positive that this will fix this. I tell myself, that is great, but will this happen again in 7 months? Will I have to keep coughing up $250? I surely hope not. I will "try" to run in the 5 pm hour today. I will shoot for 30 minutes. Until then, see ya.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:35 pm

In addition to the ART have you had the calf massaged?  When I had a similar problem, massage along with wearing a brace (to keep the calf stretched) at night while sleeping did the trick.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 14 Empty Yep

Post  Michael Mitchell Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:41 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:In addition to the ART have you had the calf massaged?  When I had a similar problem, massage along with wearing a brace (to keep the calf stretched) at night while sleeping did the trick.

Yeah One L, that is what the tape is doing. Pulling on it. It has been pulling on it for two days. Still have the knot, but easier now.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:41 pm

Whoa. You go through an orthotic in seven months? That's nuts! Is there any way they could switch to a more resilient material? I don't know if they can, but it might be worth asking.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 14 Empty Not Sure

Post  Michael Mitchell Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:54 pm

Mark B wrote:Whoa. You go through an orthotic in seven months?  That's nuts! Is there any way they could switch to a more resilient material? I don't know if they can, but it might be worth asking.

Yeah, I am not sure how this happened. Not at all. I can ask them Mark. I was told over one week before I get them done. I had them start on Monday of this week. I am just hoping I can get to a 10 minute pace for running for 50 minutes. That will tide me over until next week. This non running stuff is for the birds.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:16 pm

Michael Mitchell wrote:
Mark B wrote:Whoa. You go through an orthotic in seven months?  That's nuts! Is there any way they could switch to a more resilient material? I don't know if they can, but it might be worth asking.

Yeah, I am not sure how this happened. Not at all. I can ask them Mark. I was told over one week before I get them done. I had them start on Monday of this week. I am just hoping I can get to a 10 minute pace for running for 50 minutes. That will tide me over until next week. This non running stuff is for the birds.

I can relate.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 14 Empty New Plan of Action

Post  Michael Mitchell Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:58 am

Mark- It is just killing me. Uggh.

New action plan. Yep. New Day. New start. This is how it will be from now until we get the new inserts ( I am thinking Wednesday)

1. One hour bike ride each day. Yesterday was 30 minutes, but that is ok. This will take place in the morning.
2. Walk one hour at home in the afternoon. Today was a 30 minute walk at a 15 minute pace. I will try to get to a 14 minute pace by this weekend. The faster, the better. If I could get to a 12 minute pace, whoo hoo.
3. See if I can run on the Alter G. I do not want any interference. Let me run 20 percent of my weight. I am the customer, right? If not, no dice. I mean come on. I know what is wrong. I know what I have to do to fix this. This would allow me to run. I shall call them today.
4. Be patient. Make sure to revise plans if necessary. Right now, the goal is an 8 minute paced 7 miler by September 28 ( earlier if I can). That is when we go on our cruise. All this is weighed upon how fast the new inserts work.

Talk to you later.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:59 am

Michael Mitchell wrote:Mark- It is just killing me. Uggh.

New action plan. Yep. New Day. New start. This is how it will be from now until we get the new inserts ( I am thinking Wednesday)

1. One hour bike ride each day. Yesterday was 30 minutes, but that is ok. This will take place in the morning.
2. Walk one hour at home in the afternoon. Today was a 30 minute walk at a 15 minute pace. I will try to get to a 14 minute pace by this weekend. The faster, the better. If I could get to a 12 minute pace, whoo hoo.
3. See if I can run on the Alter G. I do not want any interference. Let me run 20 percent of my weight. I am the customer, right? If not, no dice. I mean come on. I know what is wrong. I know what I have to do to fix this. This would allow me to run. I shall call them today.
4. Be patient. Make sure to revise plans if necessary. Right now, the goal is an 8 minute paced 7 miler by September 28 ( earlier if I can). That is when we go on our cruise. All this is weighed upon how fast the new inserts work.

Talk to you later.

Have you tried over the counter inserts?
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 14 Empty Yes

Post  Michael Mitchell Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:00 am

Jim Lentz wrote:
Michael Mitchell wrote:Mark- It is just killing me. Uggh.

Talk to you later.

Have you tried over the counter inserts?

Yes. In a word. Yes. Smile
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 14 Empty Still Trying

Post  Michael Mitchell Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:57 am

I cannot let up. I will not let up. Never. Smile Ok, I ended with 270 minutes biking. Not bad. Also, 4 miles walking. Both will increase this week. I biked 60 minutes yesterday and will do another 60 minutes today. One side note, our kitten ( who is teething) chewed up the cord to the adapter to my bike. Yep, you guessed it. The control panel will not work. I did bike yesterday, but no resistance, which means I was flying the whole way. Tuckered me out. Found out that I get a free adapter from the factory ( still under warranty) and will be here Friday. Until then, our universal adapter will work ( tried it out) and will go with that until then. Checked on my inserts yesterday. Still not ready. Still hoping for a Wednesday pick up and a Friday jump start run. We shall see. The goal is a 10 minute pace for 2-3 days and slowly get faster. I am hoping for an 8 minute pace by September 27. Until then, peace out. Smile
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:56 pm

Michael Mitchell wrote:I cannot let up. I will not let up. Never. Smile Ok, I ended with 270 minutes biking. Not bad. Also, 4 miles walking. Both will increase this week. I biked 60 minutes yesterday and will do another 60 minutes today. One side note, our kitten ( who is teething) chewed up the cord to the adapter to my bike. Yep, you guessed it. The control panel will not work. I did bike yesterday, but no resistance, which means I was flying the whole way. Tuckered me out. Found out that I get a free adapter from the factory ( still under warranty) and will be here Friday. Until then, our universal adapter will work ( tried it out) and will go with that until then. Checked on my inserts yesterday. Still not ready. Still hoping for a Wednesday pick up and a Friday jump start run. We shall see. The goal is a 10 minute pace for 2-3 days and slowly get faster. I am hoping for an 8 minute pace by September 27. Until then, peace out. Smile
Cats sure are looking bad on these forums lately.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 14 Empty Things Will Look Up

Post  Michael Mitchell Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:49 am

During these trying days, I harken back to the days when 10 milers were done with a snap of the finger. When 4 x 1 mile were done at a 5 minute pace with 5 minute jog in between. When a 10 miler at a 6 minute pace was like a jog...ahh those were the days. Now, I wait until I get the phone call from my orthotist. I know that it will take three days for the inserts to fully do their job. I know that I will be mega sore for at least three or four of the first runs. I also know that these past six weeks (yes, six weeks!!) have been rough, but there are silver linings. One, I am averaging 240 minutes a week on the bike. That might now sound like much, but that is 70 miles a week. That is ( if you want to make an equivalent) 30 miles a week running. So, not all is bad. Second, my weight has actually gone from 165 to 159. Not sure how that happened, but I will take it. Also, my bike ( set at 7) really works on my legs, my abs and my aerobic output. Lastly, I still have a positive attitude. I can and will get back to at least an 8 minute pace with a 7:30 pace looming. I biked 60 minutes this morning at 5:15 am. Yeah, that was rough. I have 120 for the week and will probably do another 60 minutes when I get home. Just waiting on the call...Smile If I get the call, I will jet down there, pick them up and let them do their magic. If that happens, I am thinking 30 minute run on Friday. No use in killing my legs. Smile
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:17 am

Your legs are going to wonder 'wtf' with all this activity.  I hope the orthotics have a short break in period.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 14 Empty Update. Update.

Post  Michael Mitchell Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:05 pm

Yeah, hey Ounce, I hope so too. New and breaking news. This just in. The inserts will not be ready until September 22 at 9 am. That is right, September 22. Ugghh. Oh well. Five more days. Or is it? After talking to the orthotist. After conferring with my DC/PA, with the help of Kinseo Tape, we will attempt to run today after my one hour bike ride ( I had one this morning, by the way at level 7). Yes, with my racing flats and tape. We shall see. I will take it in 10 minute intervals. See what 12 minute pace does. If good, then eleven. Go for just 30 minutes. We shall see. This will take place in the 6 pm hour. Until then...Smile
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 14 Empty Rain, Nothing and Pondering

Post  Michael Mitchell Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:48 am

Well, nothing happened yesterday. The workers are redoing our floor (long story, let us just say it has to do with the MUDD and sewage. Yes, they are paying for it. They are reflooring our entire house) so nothing got done. I used last night to catch up my lack of sleep, so I did not get up until 6:50 am. Nice. Took a vacation day from work, but with all the rain, the traffic was a nightmare. I thought, ok, I will take our little tyke to school barefoot, (because you know it is morning and I am off..lol much to wife's chagrin) thinking I would not be late and I would not have to get out. WRONG! Took 35 minutes to get even close to him. Fortunately, there was an Academy open. I need new shoes anyway, so he and I hope into the store. I get Asics Gel Contend 2's. Off we go out the store and back to the traffic to deal with school. Got him there and went home. Now, I will have an hour bike ride as soon as I get off here. It is humid as all get out. The door to the garage is open due to the workers cutting wood. It is sawdusty (if that is a word) in the house. Oh yeah, this will be a great bike. Ugghh. Will attempt to run today for 30 minutes. I will run in my racing flats, so let us see what happens. I am hoping. Oh, my inserts will be done by September 22 at 9 am. I will have to let the inserts work all day Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. I think you will see a big difference on Wednesday ( if I am running, big. If not by then, a start). I am still aiming for an 8 minute pace by Sunday when we leave on our cruise. Let us pray. See ya this afternoon. I have 150 minutes this week biking, will have 210 by today and 270 by tomorrow morning.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 14 Empty From The Update Desk

Post  Michael Mitchell Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:07 pm

Now, that is an old term. LOL. Ok, no bike yet. Been pushed back to 4 pm today. I did run. Well, it was the first "run" in two weeks. 2.10 miles in 30 minutes (just a smidge under 15 minutes a mile) . Yes, the soleus is pulling, but did not "pull". Now I know that nothing significant will happen until next Wednesday, but at least, if this keeps up, I will have mileage. We shall see. One hour bike ride today at 4 pm. That will be a sweat soaker. Trust me. LOL. I have 2 miles this week.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 14 Empty From The Update News Desk

Post  Michael Mitchell Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:27 am

Finally, some good news. My goodness it has been awhile. First, I biked for one hour this morning ( gosh, I was soaked...LOL) and yesterday. Will bike for 30-45 minutes tonight. Now, the really good news. I have the new inserts. They are doing the same thing that the last "new" ones did. They are pulling on the soleus. However tight the soleus is, the inserts are pulling. See my blog back in January. This is a REALLY good thing. I do not get to run today or Tuesday. Just bike. I get to run, at home, on Wednesday at 5 pm. I am to run at a 10 minute pace for 50 minutes. I am to do that for two day at that pace, two days at a 9 minute pace, two days at an 8:30 pace and then two at an 8 minute pace. I will be at an 8 minute pace on the cruise. Smile. I will not abandon the bike. The one hour in the morning is good for me. It helps my leg strength. I will talk to you later. Thank goodness we are finally on the upward swing.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:53 pm

Good news, indeed.  So, how do you think biking will help your running?

I've been told to get a bike by a PT, but am reluctant because of the great adoration in Houston for bikers on roads.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 14 Empty Biking

Post  Michael Mitchell Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:03 pm

ounce wrote:Good news, indeed.  So, how do you think biking will help your running?

I've been told to get a bike by a PT, but am reluctant because of the great adoration in Houston for bikers on roads.

I feel that my quads are strengthening. They just feel stronger. The cross training has and will help. Smile Understood about Houston. God Bless our town.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 14 Empty Still Climbing

Post  Michael Mitchell Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:04 am

Well, now I know what level 8 feels like. Wow. It was a little tougher. Did 30 minutes last night on it to give me 150 minutes for the week. Interesting. I do know that I feel lighter today. I did not bike this morning for I wanted to give myself a break. Will do a 60 minute bike ride at 5 pm this afternoon. I will have to get my bike ride in at 5:15 am tomorrow morning for the afternoon will hold the big day. Yep, the breakout 50 minute run. Ohhh boy. Smile
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 14 Empty Jump Off Day

Post  Michael Mitchell Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:10 am

It is today. The day I have been dreaming of for awhile. The day that which running will commence. The day that the other days will be measured by. Flare for the dramatic, you betcha. Am I itching to run? Yes, but I also have trepidation. I think it will be ok. I will take the run in 10 minute intervals to 50. 10 minute pace for each 10 minute interval. I am assuming it will be wonkey around the 45 minute mark. We shall see. I biked this morning for one hour at level 8. Goodness I never knew I could sweat that much. Wow. I have 270 minutes this week. I will be running in the 5 pm hour. Oh by the way, in addition to my biking in the morning, I will be running in the afternoon. I feel it will only get me stronger or kill me. LOL. I have to run at Cossaboom tomorrow because I have to take my kid to 6 pm soccer practice. Fun. Smile
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 14 Empty The Ups and Downs of Recovery

Post  Michael Mitchell Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:36 am

Sometimes, it is in the mind. When you become injured, you do not want to go back to what injured you. You want to just not go down that road. That is how is has been with me and Compartment Syndrome. It hits, I back off. I do not run. I find other avenues to keep my weight in check and stamina at a high level. Usually, I am back within one to two weeks. This time it has been different. My foot changed. The inserts could not help the foot changing. It has been since August that I have had a meaningful run. Frustration sets it. Then after many restarts, you just give in to the doom and gloom. You figure, well I am burning 800-900 calories a day on the bike. At least it is something. Well, after an amazing day of ART yesterday, I was ready to go, but my mind was not. Really, I just said, the heck with. Why? Well, I know that I have to have a 50 minute run as a base to start over. Essentially, I am starting over. I will be back, that is for certain. I was told that my soleus is right on the cusp of releasing. I have the new inserts. I have the new shoes. I just need to get it done. Well, that is today. There is fear it will pull again, but I have to ride through it. I did bike for an hour today to give me 330 minutes (92 miles) for the week. I should be ok. I will let you all know after 6 pm today. Signed, the runner with trepidation.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 16 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next