365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Driftin & Dreaming...

+19
Dave P
JohnP
Matt W
Seth Harrison
Bob
Julie
Mike MacLellan
Chris M
mul21
John Kilpatrick
mountandog
T Miller
Mark B
fostever
Mrs. Schuey
Dave-O
Michele "1L" Keane
Jerry
Schuey
23 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Driftin & Dreaming... - Page 4 Empty Re: Driftin & Dreaming...

Post  Matt W Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:43 am

Nice picture of the family.

I see you are still rocking the T7s.
Matt W
Matt W
Poster
Poster

http://www.redrockrunningcompany.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:49 am

Matt W wrote:Nice picture of the family.

I see you are still rocking the T7s.

Thanks Matt yeah I haven't given up on them yet!!! I am going to buy a pair of the Nike Flyknit Racer and see what I think of them. Going to be hard to replace my T7s when I have run so many great races and PRs in them!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:34 pm

I'm glad the 3 of you are safe and sound.

Check out this video -- Capital Cities "Safe and Sound". It mixes the emotions I'm sure everyone at Boston felt that day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWZr2F0qohA

Schuey, if you like Pink Floyd, check out a cover of "Breathe" by Capital Cities featuring Tupac Shakur. I don't often hear very good covers by folks but this one is very creative.
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt W Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:09 pm

So I was poking around on the JFK50 site and in the list of entries, where everyone else has an M or F for male or female, yours says "6." We always knew you were a little different, but that's waaaaay different. Very Happy
Matt W
Matt W
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:50 pm

Diego wrote:I'm glad the 3 of you are safe and sound.

Check out this video -- Capital Cities "Safe and Sound". It mixes the emotions I'm sure everyone at Boston felt that day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWZr2F0qohA

Schuey, if you like Pink Floyd, check out a cover of "Breathe" by Capital Cities featuring Tupac Shakur. I don't often hear very good covers by folks but this one is very creative.

Diego thanks for that link cool song and even cooler video!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:51 pm

Matt W wrote:

So I was poking around on the JFK50 site and in the list of entries, where everyone else has an M or F for male or female, yours says "6." We always knew you were a little different, but that's waaaaay different. Very Happy

HaHa yeah I noticed also the other day. So does that mean I'm in my own gender division? If that is the case i'm sure to win my age group since I'm the only 42 year old in the 6 gender/group. affraid affraid
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Fri May 03, 2013 10:38 pm

Smoking great day today!!! Got up at 7:30am which yes is early for me, took Hana to the vet for her check up and teeth cleaning. Came home ran the first 16 miles of the Boston course, then went an picked up Hana. Came back home and ended up running another 8.05 miles for a total of 24.05 for the day. Yes that is back to the old vintage training that I'm use to doing and yes the legs feeling Fing awesome.

I can really feel a great training cycle coming on. More details to come about this week and training. I know I have been a little slow but I'm doing a lot better at juggling a lot of things!!

Now I'm cooking dinner for Lisa and I ( Flank Steak (little honey and cajun spices), red & orange peppers, onions, cauliflower and avocado.). Must also add that during the cooking phase having a glass of Regusci Rose wine and will be cracking open a bottle of Cab in a moment.

Dam it feels good to be back to some serious and good training!!!!!!!!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sat May 04, 2013 3:38 pm

Food never tastes as good as it does after a long run like that!

Let me know if you guys plan to come to NE any time!
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Sat May 04, 2013 8:14 pm

Schuey wrote:Smoking great day today!!! Got up at 7:30am which yes is early for me, took Hana to the vet for her check up and teeth cleaning. Came home ran the first 16 miles of the Boston course, then went an picked up Hana. Came back home and ended up running another 8.05 miles for a total of 24.05 for the day. Yes that is back to the old vintage training that I'm use to doing and yes the legs feeling Fing awesome.

I can really feel a great training cycle coming on. More details to come about this week and training. I know I have been a little slow but I'm doing a lot better at juggling a lot of things!!

Now I'm cooking dinner for Lisa and I ( Flank Steak (little honey and cajun spices), red & orange peppers, onions, cauliflower and avocado.). Must also add that during the cooking phase having a glass of Regusci Rose wine and will be cracking open a bottle of Cab in a moment.

Hummm, Steak, wine, I'm kinda feeling lonely o'er here, miff miff. haha
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt W Tue May 07, 2013 7:46 pm

When I saw that you ran the first 16 miles of the Boston course, I wondered what you were still doing there, but then I realized your fancy treadmill finally arrived. It sounds like you are getting back to being the you that you are used to being. Wink It's easy to read the energy in your voice when you are pumped about a good day. I hope there are a lot more of them in your future for you to report.
Matt W
Matt W
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Tue May 07, 2013 8:35 pm

Julie wrote:Food never tastes as good as it does after a long run like that!

Let me know if you guys plan to come to NE any time!

Agree Julie food taste fantastic after a long run! Heck food taste great to me all the time! Haha
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Tue May 07, 2013 8:37 pm

fostever wrote:
Schuey wrote:Smoking great day today!!! Got up at 7:30am which yes is early for me, took Hana to the vet for her check up and teeth cleaning. Came home ran the first 16 miles of the Boston course, then went an picked up Hana. Came back home and ended up running another 8.05 miles for a total of 24.05 for the day. Yes that is back to the old vintage training that I'm use to doing and yes the legs feeling Fing awesome.

Hummm, Steak, wine, I'm kinda feeling lonely o'er here, miff miff. haha

Foster dude you know you are welcomed anytime for steak, wine and a little dose of dead and the family!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Tue May 07, 2013 8:48 pm

Matt W wrote:

When I saw that you ran the first 16 miles of the Boston course, I wondered what you were still doing there, but then I realized your fancy treadmill finally arrived. It sounds like you are getting back to being the you that you are used to being. Wink It's easy to read the energy in your voice when you are pumped about a good day. I hope there are a lot more of them in your future for you to report.

Haha yeah we're back from Boston and yes the treadmill finally came. I'm glad it is here because it will surly help with the training and get the miles in. Especially now that I'm a dad!!

Thanks for the comment about the energy. Yes, things seem to be falling into place and that is a good thing. It feels good to know that the train is starting to roll back on the right track. There is still a lot to accomplish but with consistency and the right frame of mind I know I'll be there soon. It's amazing how running/training makes me feel and I look forward to the second half of 2013 and the start of the 2014 running season but first things first 2 50 mile races and Chicago! Yeah I'm ready to take the challenge head on and give it that little extra to make it special! Payday is right around the bend!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue May 07, 2013 8:56 pm

2 50 mile races? Wow. I really want to do JFK, I am thinking maybe in 3 years, not that anyone can reliably plan that far out but you all inspire me.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Sat May 11, 2013 10:41 pm

Alright so this has been a long time coming and so I figured I would finally post the structure of my training for the 2013 JFK 50 miler. Although JFK is the ultimate
race for this training cycle there are a couple of more along the way. August 24th North Country 50 miler and then the Chicago Marathon in October.

Step #1 Identifying my strengths and weaknesses

Strengths
- Recover quickly from runs especially long runs ( I feel this is important for Ultra training since I’m spending more time doing longer runs.
I have become more durable over the years with being smarter about training. Due to this I have has less bouts of niggles or injuries.

- Motivation, passion and desire

Weaknesses
- Consistency, yep I have become better at this as the years have gone on but it is still an issue. I have to find a way to be more consistent as the the training cycle goes on.

- Balance, I need to have more balance and variety in my training. I have found that as I have done the same routine over and over consistency and focus becomes harder and harder to keep.

- Nutrition is a not necessary a weakness or a strength but something that needs more work on during training to be able to better fuel myself during my longer races. Marathons are no problem and easy to fuel for take a couple of gels drink some water and off I go. The Ultra events are a completely different monster in the fact that I have to keep searching for that magic formula for myself. Again I’m getting better, the funny thing is I know what to do but I have to stay better focused in the later miles and make myself take in fuel.

Step # 2 Goals

-Losing weight (which has already been going great I’m back down to 171 from 195). Yep, that is what happens when you lose the intensity in training the pounds just come back on and one day you wake-up and go how the heck did this happen! I now only have 4 to 6 pounds left to lose. My goal ideal racing weight is between 165-167.

- To run 6 to 7 days a week

- To fully commit myself to sticking to the different phase of training
Work on doing more core exercises

- Become a better runner by this I would like to continue to learn about running, running different distances, spending more time on trails
Strive to be the best I can be everyday and to perform at my best come race day.

Step #3 The workouts

The workouts that I plan on including during this training cycle are as followed:

Strides: done like I have always standardly done them either in the middle of an easy run or at the end.

Fartlek Runs: Nothing really fancy about these types of runs and I have found them to be a big part of my training in the past and they will continue to be a focus for this training cycle. The cool thing about these runs is that there infinite combinations on how you can do these runs. I will normally do these runs on easy run days and even incorporate them into my long runs.

Steady-State Runs: a great run that helps build stamina and improves LT.

Tempo: Which over the years I have left this run out of a lot of my marathon training cycles but I think I’m sold on the fact that by doing more or at least doing these runs more consistently it is going to help me be able to hold a certain pace for a longer time which in the end will help me achieve my pace goals on race day. Other than doing the standard Tempo run I have learned about Tempo Intervals and Cruise Intervals which I have found are not as hard or taxing as the standard Tempo. I also like doing these type of runs when it is really hot out or I’m feeling sluggish on a planned tempo run day.

Hill/Downhill Repeats: Both of these will be pretty much a new concept that I will be adding this training cycle. I have read a lot about them in the past but just pretty much ignored doing them. From what I have read both of these workouts are a great way to change up training paces but at the same time not tax my body and will be able to recover quickly from.

Easy Runs: As we all know this is the run that should make up the majority of one’s training and the benefits from this type of run is absolutely huge.

Recovery Runs: For the most part I really don’t have this run penciled into my plan but it plays a big role. The way I approach this type of run is by doing it when I feel the need to do it. It can be done on a scheduled Easy day where I just feel sluggish or tired so instead of not running or abandoning the run I will turn it into a recovery run. If I have a big run the next day and I want to make sure that I’m truly fresh for that run I will insert the recovery run.

Long Runs: I guess this run is a no brainer to be included for one running marathons and 50 mile races. This run by far is the most important run of the training. I found this past Spring running Boston on how important this run is. In the past I have always strived in the late miles of a race feeling myself becoming stronger and stronger and just crushing it. Well with the lack of the long run during my Boston build-up all I could do was hang on. The good thing about this is that it reminds me of the lesson of how important running long is. I know there is a lot of debate out there on how long but for me the longer the better! Included with the long run there is no doubt that i will doing a lot of the back to back long runs.

Progression Runs: Here is another run that I have always loved and found to be a huge part in my success as a runner! I have found this workout has help teach me to learn effort along with pace as the run becomes tougher. I really think the key benefit is that it has introduced me what to expect and feel in the later miles of a race. Along with how to push myself to the next level. These runs to me are possible the best practice run that can prepare one for the struggles and challenge of the late to finishing miles of a long distance running event.

Long Hill/Downhill Running: I have to admit have haven’t been one to do much long hill running but I find it very important to partake in for JFK. Considering the opening 5.5 miles have an incredible climb and will leave one breathless and wasted! Then after that you still have to take on the climbs on the rocking AT along with the downhills. So I have decided to include workouts that will take care of the uphill climb. One of them being is that I have the first 18 miles of the JFK course plugged into my IFIT and I will continue to run it many times over this training cycle. I have even just plugged in the first 8 miles. Along with that I have added many of the Potto routes I ran along with many other great sections of trails from all over.
Now the other part of this is the Long Downhill running which I must admit I feel I have master in the past and even though many people know about this workout many don’t do it or don’t do it long enough. This has been bread & butter in my Boston training. I will do this workout on the treadmill and will do it for anywhere from 6 to 10 miles or I will even do it as repeats where I will doing 3 to 4 miles downhill and then 1 or 2 miles at 0% and then back to doing 3 to 4 miles downhill. I will normally do the downhill running at -4% to -6%. I have only had one objective when I do this workout and that is to thrash my quads as much as possible!!!! I do this workout many times over a training cycle and the benefits and rewards are HUGE on race day.

So how do I plan to structure all this running? Well I have decided to take the good old theories of many that have come before me. Nothing new here I plan on breaking it all down into 4 phases:

1. Base Training
2. Pre-Race Specific
3. Race Specific
4. Peak

At this point I have decided to have at least 1 week of Recovery after the North Country 50 miler but there will be no Peak before hand. For Chicago I decided to do a 2 week Peak and then 1 week of Recovery before going back into a Race Specific phase before another 2 week Peak before JFK.

I have designed each phase to build into one another and to hopefully have it all come together at the end for a great effort in Boonesboro.

I have decided on the following time frame for each phase:

Weeks 1-9 (4/21-6/22) Base Training (9 weeks)
Weeks 10-15 (6/23-8/3) Pre-Race Specific
Weeks 16-23 (8/4-9/28) Race Specific
Weeks 24-25 (9/29-10/12) Peak for Chicago Marathon
Week 26 (10/13-10/19) Chicago Marathon and then Recovery for one week
Weeks 27-29 (10/20-11/9) Race Specific
Weeks 30-31 (11/10-11/23) Peak for JFK 50 Miler (11/23)

The Base Training Phase is/will consist of the following workouts:

1. Easy Runs
2. Long Runs (back to back long runs)
3. Strides
4. Short Hill Repeats
5. Steady State Runs
6. Fartlek

The Pre-Race Specific Phase:

1. Easy Runs
3. Long Hill/Downhill Repeats
4. Longer Faster Fartlek runs
5. Tempo Runs
6. Progression Runs

Race-Specific Phase:

1. Easy Runs
3. Longer Tempo Runs
4. Progression Runs
5. Long Hill/Downhill Repeats
6. Pace Runs

Peak Phase:

Nothing new here that we all don’t know or have read about in the past. No change in workouts or intensity the only that happens during this phase is the mileage will drop some.

Although I’m not big on training paces and have normally done my runs by feel, I have decided to try and have the best of both worlds this cycle. Meaning still run by feel for each given day but at the same time hold myself accountable for a pace range for given runs. Below are the paces I have decided to start my training with. I may or may not have to adjust down but I will have to see how this works out. I’m willing to bet for most of the runs the paces will be fine just may need to adjust for certain workouts.

1. Recovery: 7:41 - 8:25
2. Long Run: 6:44 - 7:53
3. Easy Run: 6:38 - 7:37
4. Steady State Run: 6:07 - 6:23
5. Tempo Run: 5:51 - 6:05
6. Tempo Intervals: 5:46 - 6:01

One thing to keep in mind about each phase is that each one is to build on the one before. For the most part the workouts are the same in each phase the difference is as my fitness increases the intensity and length of the workouts become longer. Also in the in base phase there are workout there that are designed to prepare me for the harder workouts to come in the future. Again none of this stuff is any secret and we all have read about it. The key/secret for me is to execute this in the proper format. Not only that I have to listen to my body and be able to know myself and make adjustments on the fly when needed.

As I look over the structure of my training there really isn’t much new that I’m doing that haven’t done in the past. The difference is that I have gone back and have done a lot of reading and decided that what I need to do is to structure my workouts in a better order. Along with that learn to build-up to the harder workouts and intensities. I believe the major reason my my training tapers off at the end isn’t so much a lack of motivation but more to the fact that I went too hard early on. With that my body and mind have peaked way before race day. So time to try something new with some new tweaks here and there and again know when to make adjustments on the fly to have an overall kick ass consistent training cycle.

I’m also going to try and incorporate some core and yoga work into this training cycle.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey Sun May 12, 2013 11:07 pm

I think your plan of attack is perfect! You have been running so well lately and it's nice to see a routine come to fruition for you. You've always been a stud in my eyes and it's fun watching you tackle your plan. You inspire me to want to push harder and seeing your passion is really wonderful. I can't wait to see you rock your upcoming races and kill that 50 Miler in the fall! You're definitely putting in the work and I couldn't be more proud of you. Keep up the great work baby! I love you
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Tue May 14, 2013 6:55 pm

Just read your thorough training plan for JFK 50. Someone's got their shit together and is ready to rip it up! I like your style and the deep thought put into your plan. Something I am copying for the future.

I swtiched to using a coach this past cycle for HM and now for the rest of the year. I find the upside is the training runs are totally new for me and given to me in 3-4 weeks at a shot. I found I was getting a bit stale with the same routine despite good gains over the year.

Looking forward to seeing your train. Like I said on someone elses blog "what is every one doing ultra's now". Boy marathons seem meaningless these days. Laughing
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Sat May 25, 2013 11:34 am

Kenny B. wrote:Just read your thorough training plan for JFK 50. Someone's got their shit together and is ready to rip it up! I like your style and the deep thought put into your plan. Something I am copying for the future.

I swtiched to using a coach this past cycle for HM and now for the rest of the year. I find the upside is the training runs are totally new for me and given to me in 3-4 weeks at a shot. I found I was getting a bit stale with the same routine despite good gains over the year.

Looking forward to seeing your train. Like I said on someone elses blog "what is every one doing ultra's now". Boy marathons seem meaningless these days. Laughing

Thanks Kenny yeah I figured for once I would have my shit together for a race! I also agree that it is very important to keep things fresh. When you just keep doing the same thing over and over again it one gets old and two you find that running/training just isn't very enjoyable.

Ok so this past week has been the worst week of training for me in a long time!!! I didn't put very many miles in but I'm not mad at myself for it. The issue is that I came down with a really bad cold which never happens to me. S0, I figured the best thing for me was to rest this past week. Today is Saturday and I feel much better so I'm getting ready to hit the road to put in some miles this morning/afternoon.

I figure in the grand scheme of things missing one week of training now would be better then missing 2 weeks or missing it later in the training cycle.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat May 25, 2013 3:28 pm

I just read through your training strategy for JFK, and I'm impressed with how thoroughly you've analyzed the components of what it takes for you to excel in this race. It's a great example of using the lessons of the past as a guide for the future. I can't wait to see how well it works for you, and what lessons it teaches you for the next time around. Smile
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:53 pm

Alright, alright things are starting to shape up just fine! I'm really starting to get that feel that I'm a runner again. I'm starting to get that feel that motion of running is effortless and that I'm just gliding along. There is no better feel then to know your stride and body feel strong and the act of running just comes natural like breathing in air.

So far this week I have put in some great runs. All have been singles but they have all been productive and show me that I'm heading in the direction I want to be going in.

Monday: 10 miles @ 7:00 pace
Tuesday 10.50 miles @ 6:37 pace then 2.5 miles cool down total of 13 miles
Wednesday 10.5 miles @ 7:25 pace
Thursday 10 miles @ 7:13 pace

Not a bad start to the week!!!! Legs, core and mind I becoming so much stronger! The Bull is returning!!!!!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:43 am

That looks like a great week of running. I have a feeling things are going to come back together real soon. You know, when running feels natural and is just plain fun.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:45 pm

BTW...That is a great avatar Smile
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:02 pm

Nick Morris wrote:BTW...That is a great avatar Smile

Thanks, yes it is one of my favorite pictures of Kristina and I. It was taken the day she was born.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:00 pm

Nick Morris wrote:BTW...That is a great avatar Smile

+1,000

That photo is definitely a keeper, Schuey. It's a wonderful image.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt W Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:18 pm

It looks like you got a great start to your week. How's it finishing up? I hope things are going well for you and the family. I see the Blackhawks/Wings series didn't cause too much damage to your relationship.
Matt W
Matt W
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum