365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Driftin & Dreaming...

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Driftin & Dreaming...

Post  Schuey on Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:12 pm

...Really goin’ on a dream now!

Compass card is spinning, helm is swinging to and fro
Oh, where is the dog star, oh, where's the moon.
You're a lost sailor, been away too long at sea.

I would have never imagine I would be were I am today in my life 8 years ago. I have a wonderful wife and now a beautiful daughter that I just dote over everyday. Life is amazing and I won’t deny that but the one thing right now missing for me is my competitive side. That means running and after all these years of knowing many of you I will admit I love being competitive and I love challenges! To clear any confusion yes my family means more to me than anything which was the number one reason I walked away from doing something I had looked forward to doing for a whole year and that was running the 50th JFK. As a good friend told me “Being bummed about JFK is understandable but always look forward man!” And those words not only have reached me and ring true but they were the words that I needed! The words I needed to hear from a fellow runner that I respect and the boost I needed to no longer be that “Lost Sailor”!

Somedays the gales are howling, sometimes the sea is still as glass.
Oh, raise the main sail, oh, lash the mast.
Now the shorelines beckon, there is a price for being free.

Running is a funny sport and one that can easily be taken for granted! How there are times things seem to be so hard no matter what you do you can’t score a PR and than times when everything is smooth and a PR just comes at will for just lining up at the starting line. Then all of sudden after a good streak you find yourself in choppy waters once again and can’t seem to find that sweet spot.
That my friends would sum up my last 8 years of running. I was able to score a BQ in my second marathon in 2006 and then no matter what I did I could not better my 3:15 time. Whether it was a NorEastern at Boston in 07, the heat wave of Chicago 07, back to back stress fractures in 08 or just the plan lack of motivation and frustration from it all I had lost my groove of 2006 and I had lost it quickly. And then it happen bam I was ready to embark on a new streak on a streak that I have never know would exist and one that would take my life on a ride that would be like no other. As I think back to the Fall 2008 till now all I can do is shake my head and be thankful for all that has come my way over those last 4 years.

There's a sea bird cryin' and there's a ghost wind blowing
And it's calling you, to that misty swirling sea.
Till the chains of your dreams are broken,
No place in this world you can be.

Well the chains of my dreams were broken after running my first JFK 50 miler in the fall of 2011. As some will point out that I did great for my first 50 miler I know that I left so much on the table and was far from being happy with my run outside the fact that I sucked it up and got all 50.25 miles done. I thought for sure I would be returning this year to redeem myself and run the race that I know that I can run but it would not be in the cards for 2012. So now I find myself waiting until the fall of 2013 to return back to the little town in Maryland and make my journey through the historic sites of the Civil War. Along the way I hope to make some of my own personal history on my journey through the mystically route know as the JFK 50!
Boston in 2012 was a bust and to be honest was my least fun Boston that I have run of the last 6. Actually the best part about it was the opportunity to run with Matt W who I highly respect not only as a runner but as person. I look to refined my dreams and be back in that running world that I know as “No place in this world you can be”.

Now the shorelines beckon, there is a price for being free.
You pay for being free, I'll tell ya freedom don't come easy,
Free don't always come for free,
Sometimes it's hard to know what to believe in.

Well I have finally come to the point that I’m tried of being lost at sea with my running and I know it is hard to know what to believe in but I do know that I believe in myself. I have discovered over the past few days running down here in Florida that the journey to get back to were I was is going to be a long hard one but will be well worth it if I put in the hard work and see my way through the thick fog I have laid in front of me. The time has come for me to pick-up the pieces and be that runner that I want to be and know that I can be. Being an athlete has been a part of me and who I have been all my life and running is now that outlet for me to still live out my dreams of being athlete.

Where to go, who to go, where to be, who to be.
That means you're driftin'.... driftin'
Yeah driftin' and dreamin', really goin' on a dream now.
Really goin' on a feelin', really goin' on a feelin'.
Driftin', driftin' and dreamin'.

Where to go from here now is pretty simply. I have decided to set my goals at pretty modest and simply standard. 1. Be consistent, 2. Loss the 30 pounds that I have put on during my time away from running. 3. Give a 110% on every run I do and not to allow the word “LAZY” to be a part of my running. There go three simply goals for right now that I believe if I live by I will find myself back on to a track of running happiness and along the way just find myself running some pretty good races. Just maybe I will find that place again and instead of driftin and dreamin I will be floating and living the dreams I that I have always want to accomplish with being a runner!

In light of the events that I have taken place over the last few days I'm dedicating my return to running to my grandpa Ed Murphy! Grandpa was and still is a wonderful and terrific man. He was always there for every football game I played in and would always call me the day after a race to see how I did. Grandpa I know you have finished your race here on Earth with us and have now started a new race in a place that I look forward to seeing you at in the far far future. Until then I will just have to drift and dream along side of you and find comfort that you will continue to guide me in life like you have always done. As you would say to me all the time talk to you later "Kiddo"!

Cause it's a place you've never been
Maybe a place you've never seen now
You can hear them callin' on the wind
Driftin' and dreamin', driftin' and dreamin'.
Really goin' on a dream now, really goin' on a dream now,
Really goin' on a dream now.
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Driftin & Dreaming...

Post  Jerry on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:20 pm

Oh crap. You know I have an ID in runningahead, drifter. lol!
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:57 pm

Looking forward to this next journey, and maybe I can be there at JFK next year as planned.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O on Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:15 pm

Sorry about the loss of your Grandpa. A fitting tribute to him.

I look forward to you getting back after it Schuey. When you're "on," your intensity and focus is infectious. Though I'm planning on 4 easy weeks after Houston, we should get together for some runs.
Dave-O

View user profile http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:18 pm

I am so happy to see this blog post! I think that you have some really wonderful runs, races and times ahead of you! You're an amazing husband, father and friend. You are also a very impressive runner. You getting back into your training will not only inspire you, but me and everyone else! I cannot wait to see the progress you make and the PR's you hit. You will nail your goals, I just know it! Stick with it baby and you will see all of your running goals come true! Way to go, I love you!
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever on Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:16 am

Sorry for your loss, brother. Thoughts and prayers for your family and friends of your grandfather. I look forward to sharing some of journey with you soon!
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:33 am

Welcome back, Schuey! I think you'll find the step-back you took will pay dividends as you get back into it.

Sorry to hear about your grandpa, too. But I know he's happy right now, watching you getting back into the game.
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller on Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:23 am

So sorry to hear of your loss. I hope this year in running takes you where you want to go. With any luck, we'll be running JFK this year too.

Welcome Back!
T Miller
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey on Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:04 am

@Jerry wrote:Oh crap. You know I have an ID in runningahead, drifter. lol!

Oh Jerry Jerry what am I ever going to do with you? Maybe one of these days you will just follow me and I you will get to that sub 3 again!

@Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Looking forward to this next journey, and maybe I can be there at JFK next year as planned.

Thanks so much Michele. I really hope that you make the trip with us to JFK next year. Unless they don't accept me in the race this coming year we are there 100%! I already have taken the time off at work for next Nov.. I look forward to reading your blog and see how things are going for you. See you in Beantown buddy if not before then.
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey on Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:06 am

@Dave-O wrote:Sorry about the loss of your Grandpa. A fitting tribute to him.

I look forward to you getting back after it Schuey. When you're "on," your intensity and focus is infectious. Though I'm planning on 4 easy weeks after Houston, we should get together for some runs.

Dave thanks so much! Your comment really made me feel good and I can't wait to get back into it! I have really missed the running and pushing my limits. Yes we have to get together to do some runs. I think it would be good for both of us from time to time to knock out some miles together.
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey on Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:30 am

First off thanks for your comments on my grandpa Steve, Mark and Tim. It truly means a lot to me and shows what a great running community we have here. I have missed talking running with all of you and really look forward to it again.

@fostever wrote:Sorry for your loss, brother. Thoughts and prayers for your family and friends of your grandfather. I look forward to sharing some of journey with you soon!

Foster brother man I can't wait to see you again. The last few years have always been great getting together and doing a run and then going back to house and listening to some Dead or watching sports and drinking some wine. Oh and let's not forget having Toni call asking were the heck are you since you left the house in the early morning. I also look forward to sharing my journey back to running with you and again look forward to some great conversations!! Thanks Foster dude!!

@Mark B wrote:Welcome back, Schuey! I think you'll find the step-back you took will pay dividends as you get back into it.

Sorry to hear about your grandpa, too. But I know he's happy right now, watching you getting back into the game.

Mark Mark so is 2013 going to be the year that we finally meet in person?? Yes I agree my body and mind really need the break from running. I think the hardest part is going to be getting back into the shape that I'm use to. The comforting thing is that I know it won't take to long, I just will have to endure the pain for a few weeks and then this train will be rolling back down the track.

@T Miller wrote:So sorry to hear of your loss. I hope this year in running takes you where you want to go. With any luck, we'll be running JFK this year too. Welcome Back!

Tim thanks for the welcome back means a lot. I have always enjoyed watching your progress with your running. I'm sure with some hard work and consistent running I should be able to accomplish some great things in 2013. Really hope to see you at JFK this year!! It is a great race and lots of fun to do. Who knows might see you at some Indiana race this coming year before JFK.
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog on Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:43 am

Good to "see you again". Watching your motivation in the past was always an inspiration to me. I know very personally the loss you've suffered. There will always be a hole, but its a hole that is filled with fond rememberance. Good luck on the next phase of your running. We'll all be watching.
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick on Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:32 pm

My inspiration man - Welcome back. You are what I would LOVE to be some day!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 on Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:24 am

Good to see you motivated to get back to it Schuey! Just be patient with that initial start up so you don't hurt yourself and have to take more time off. What's the plan for Boston?
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M on Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:53 am

Schuey blogs are always great at get me fired up to do my own running. Actually, just being Schuey's buddy is what keeps me going. Thanks for always being such an inspiration. I'll call you as soon as the details are set but I'm definitely coming to Chicago towards the end of January for work. Some running and some hanging out with your family are called for!
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry on Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:51 am

@Schuey wrote:
@Jerry wrote:Oh crap. You know I have an ID in runningahead, drifter. lol!

Oh Jerry Jerry what am I ever going to do with you? Maybe one of these days you will just follow me and I you will get to that sub 3 again!

Boston 2014, I can ride you meatball(as I heard you are now lol! ) for a sub 3 then.
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:28 pm

@Schuey wrote:Mark, Mark... so is 2013 going to be the year that we finally meet in person??

Hope so! It's fun to see how well people match up with their online personalities. Smile
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:21 pm

@Mark B wrote:
@Schuey wrote:Mark, Mark... so is 2013 going to be the year that we finally meet in person??

Hope so! It's fun to see how well people match up with their online personalities. Smile

I can vouch for Schuey being the exact same in person. Great energy, great insights, and always positive.

By the way, hey Schuey. Good to see you again. Smile
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey on Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:33 pm

Hey you all YOU ALL FIRE ME UP!!! Yeah it's RUNNING Time!! I'm so darn ready and pumped to get things going again and just SMOKE it. As always my focus is always on giving a 110%. For all of you that have been following my blogs and running over the past years I'm sure you are all use to me saying "110%".

Really to me life comes down to that one simple word "110%", no matter what you are doing working, being a student, being a parent, runner or just simply a great person. If you give your best and give it your best effort the outcome is always success, pride and happiness. Sure goals are good to have and to shot for but it is the success of the end of the journey to know that no matter if the goals are meet or not if you can truly look at yourself in the mirror at the end of the day and know you have given everything that you can give there is no reason to hang your head low. Sure things don't always go the way the we want and we all feel disappointed in the outcomes time to time and that is ok that is what makes us humans and makes us comeback for more and to keep driving to succeed to be the best that we can be.

I'm so ready to jump back into that arena with running and lay it all on the line and ready to see what the future has in store for me as a runner! I hope you all are excited and enjoy this ride with me and I hope that you all can find your inner self to be the best that you can be as a runner. So let's all have a kick ass 2013 and beyond!!

Jim I will be back later with more details to what my plan is for Boston and how I plan to tackle this next 12 weeks before Boston.

The Harder They Come

Well they tell me of a pie up in the sky
Waiting for me when I die
But between the day you're born and when you die
They never seem to hear you even your cry.

So as sure as the sun will shine
I'm gonna get my share now, what's mine
And the harder they come, the harder they fall
The harder they come, the harder they fall one and all.

Well the oppressors are trying to keep me down
Trying to drive me underground
And they think that they have got the battle won
I say forgive them Lord they know not what they've done.

Cause as sure as the sun will shine

And I'll keep on fighting for the things I want
Though I know that when you're dead you can't
But I'd rather be a free man in my grave
Than living as a puppet or a slave.

Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever on Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:40 pm

@Schuey wrote:Hey you all YOU ALL FIRE ME UP!!! Yeah it's RUNNING Time!! I'm so darn ready and pumped to get things going again and just SMOKE it. As always my focus is always on giving a 110%. For all of you that have been following my blogs and running over the past years I'm sure you are all use to me saying "110%".

Really to me life comes down to that one simple word "110%", no matter what you are doing working, being a student, being a parent, runner or just simply a great person. If you give your best and give it your best effort the outcome is always success, pride and happiness. Sure goals are good to have and to shot for but it is the success of the end of the journey to know that no matter if the goals are meet or not if you can truly look at yourself in the mirror at the end of the day and know you have given everything that you can give there is no reason to hang your head low. Sure things don't always go the way the we want and we all feel disappointed in the outcomes time to time and that is ok that is what makes us humans and makes us comeback for more and to keep driving to succeed to be the best that we can be.

I'm so ready to jump back into that arena with running and lay it all on the line and ready to see what the future has in store for me as a runner! I hope you all are excited and enjoy this ride with me and I hope that you all can find your inner self to be the best that you can be as a runner. So let's all have a kick ass 2013 and beyond!!

Jim I will be back later with more details to what my plan is for Boston and how I plan to tackle this next 12 weeks before Boston.

The Harder They Come

Well they tell me of a pie up in the sky
Waiting for me when I die
But between the day you're born and when you die
They never seem to hear you even your cry.

Well the oppressors are trying to keep me down
Trying to drive me underground
And they think that they have got the battle won
I say forgive them Lord they know not what they've done.

Cause as sure as the sun will shine

And I'll keep on fighting for the things I want
Though I know that when you're dead you can't
But I'd rather be a free man in my grave
Than living as a puppet or a slave.

Hey Schuey, You mentioned "Smoke it" and then post a Reggae song so then I had to read more closely, har har! I just read Jerry's race report and he mentioned he gave 110% so maybe that 110% could be increased, just say'in.
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey on Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:54 pm

@mountandog wrote:Good to "see you again". Watching your motivation in the past was always an inspiration to me. I know very personally the loss you've suffered. There will always be a hole, but its a hole that is filled with fond rememberance. Good luck on the next phase of your running. We'll all be watching.

Thanks good to be back. I have to admit reading all the great training and race by your family has be a great inspiration for me. I agree there will always be a space left by my grandpa but that space will never over take all the great years and memories we built together.

@John Kilpatrick wrote:My inspiration man - Welcome back. You are what I would LOVE to be some day!

Thanks for the welcome back! Wow thanks for such a huge complement but just to let you in on a little secret you are already something great and as time goes on and you work towards your goals I'm sure you will surpass things you thought you could never do!

@mul21 wrote:Good to see you motivated to get back to it Schuey! Just be patient with that initial start up so you don't hurt yourself and have to take more time off. What's the plan for Boston?

Thanks Jim man it has been a long time since we have chatted. Trust me I will be patient with the build-up things. General plan for Boston is go and have the best race I can have without putting to my pressure and stress on myself. I believe 3 months is enough time to get in pretty good shape so it truly will be a wait and see game. As for the details of the plan for training trying to to finalize everything up this weekend. Will give more details soon.
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey on Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:59 pm

@Chris M wrote:Schuey blogs are always great at get me fired up to do my own running. Actually, just being Schuey's buddy is what keeps me going. Thanks for always being such an inspiration. I'll call you as soon as the details are set but I'm definitely coming to Chicago towards the end of January for work. Some running and some hanging out with your family are called for!

Chris Mckee what is going on brother man one of my favorite law dogs! Don't sell yourself short you blogs get me pretty fired up. Chris I can not express how much I'm glad you walk through those doors at the restaurant before MCM in 08. Who would have ever guessed the following friendship would have been formed?

YES coming to Chi-town for some work finally!!! There is no doubt that we have to get together for a run and hanging with the family! Keep us informed on when you will be in.

Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey on Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:02 pm

@Mike MacLellan wrote:
@Mark B wrote:

I can vouch for Schuey being the exact same in person. Great energy, great insights, and always positive.

By the way, hey Schuey. Good to see you again. Smile

Hey Mike what's going on California dude! Dang I sure miss being up in NorCal. I think I would have to agree with the great energy and being positive but I'm not sure if the insight part is correct. HaHa.

Good to be back and look forward to getting caught up with everyone's running and everything else going on!
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey on Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:07 pm

@fostever wrote:Hey Schuey, You mentioned "Smoke it" and then post a Reggae song so then I had to read more closely, har har! I just read Jerry's race report and he mentioned he gave 110% so maybe that 110% could be increased, just say'in.

Steve what am I ever going to do with you brother. If there was going to be anyone to put the two together it surly would be you. Darn Jerry is stealing my slogan and racing approach of giving a 100%. Well now I'm will to up that up to 120%, see Jerry it's all your fault now I have to train and race that much harder!
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M on Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:41 pm

@Schuey wrote:
@Chris M wrote:Schuey blogs are always great at get me fired up to do my own running. Actually, just being Schuey's buddy is what keeps me going. Thanks for always being such an inspiration. I'll call you as soon as the details are set but I'm definitely coming to Chicago towards the end of January for work. Some running and some hanging out with your family are called for!

Chris Mckee what is going on brother man one of my favorite law dogs! Don't sell yourself short you blogs get me pretty fired up. Chris I can not express how much I'm glad you walk through those doors at the restaurant before MCM in 08. Who would have ever guessed the following friendship would have been formed?

YES coming to Chi-town for some work finally!!! There is no doubt that we have to get together for a run and hanging with the family! Keep us informed on when you will be in.

Definitely there on the day of January 31. Whether I'm coming in the night before or staying that night or both, I'll figure out soon.
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top