365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bring Back that Loving Feeling

+2
mul21
Kenny B.
6 posters

Go down

Bring Back that Loving Feeling Empty Bring Back that Loving Feeling

Post  Kenny B. Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:26 pm

I have been pretty inactive on this forum for sometime and I am making an effort to change that by starting a new blog. The title ( A horse with no name) itself just came to me as I could not come up with a name. No particular reference to the Music group America (which I do like). But just changed it to Bring Back that loving feeling.

After what was a successful year of running in 2012 with PR's in pretty much most distances including Marathon I start 2013 with doubt.

Since Philly Marathon in November I have been running just to run. Doing some post-marathon runs sprinkled with a little speed work. But emotionally, spiritually and competitively I have not been that keen on getting up in the morning to run. Matter of fact 1-2 x per week I missed my am runs and regrouped to get it down in the PM.

I am not finding purpose or I should say I might be finding more purpose in doing other things in my life vs. running. I am finding the competitiveness of running to be less purposeful then in the past and that makes it very hard for me to do "hard" days of running. The easy days I enjoy running more meditatively then competitively.

I'll fast forward to yesterday (Sunday, January 7th). I ran a 5k race to see where my fitness level was at. I ran a 21:01 not a great race by any means for me. I ran (6:50, 6:50, 6:40, :41) My kick was weak for the first time in a long time and I felt winded by mile 2. Considering the low mileage and not being in training mode 21:01 is not awful. But, I just seemed to be out there with no purpose.

------------------

So, for 2103 I am changing it up. Thanks to my friend (Coach Skinny Vinny) he is going to coach me to a new PR in the HM come April. The Unite Half in New Jersey. Goal is sub 1:30. Although mentally I am not in a place that lends itself well to good running and enjoyment I am going to try to just take the action and see if it comes back. (maybe the name should Bring back that loving feeling). I will also be planning on some more technical trail running with the Coach up north jersey so trail shoes might be in order. (nothing beats a new pair of shoes to get you motivated)

This blog will be used from today until April 21st the day of the race. It will consist of a few other races that are planned including what might be:

1) 1/26/13 USATF Track & Field Championships at Monmouth University.
3000 meters & the 800
meters.
2) 2/17/13 PPTC 10 miler.
3) A local 5K race in March (Open item).
4) 4/7/13 Indian Trails 15K
5) 4/21/13 Rutgers Half Marathon.

My coach is giving me 2 weeks training schedule at a time. Today called for just an easy 3 miles.

Pace was 9:10 - Back is hurting which did not help. Headed to chiro shortly

Tomorrow is a unique work out for me

2 mile WU followed by
3 x 1 min at 4% incline @ 7:30 to 8:00 pace
4 x 2 min 4% incline
3 x 1 min 4% incline
1 Mile CD

I hope with the a totally new approach to training using a coach and "his" plan which will include new workouts I never have done before or variations I can get back into some purpose and love for running.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Bring Back that Loving Feeling Empty Re: Bring Back that Loving Feeling

Post  mul21 Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:08 pm

I hope the motivation comes back Kenny! I think having a coach to provide some external motivation might be a good thing. That workout looks.......interesting. How long between each repeat?
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:21 pm

Good luck Kenny - 2012 was a good running year for you and after regrouping I see no reason why you can't keep on trucking. With a little time I would think you will bounce back in the motivation department. Here's hoping Wink

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:59 am

mul21 wrote:I hope the motivation comes back Kenny! I think having a coach to provide some external motivation might be a good thing. That workout looks.......interesting. How long between each repeat?

Thanks! I agree the coach can be a big help.

John Kilpatrick wrote:Good luck Kenny - 2012 was a good running year for you and after regrouping I see no reason why you can't keep on trucking. With a little time I would think you will bounce back in the motivation department. Here's hoping Wink

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I am working on it.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:04 am

Today's Session
Took it indoors to get in the hills.

2 mile WU @ 10:08, 9:09

3 x 1 min at 4% incline @ 7:41 pace followed by 1 min recovery at 9:13 pace

Then... 4 x 2 min 4% incline @ 7:47 followed by 2 min recovery at 9:13 pace

Followed by 1 mile cool down @ 9:00 pace.

Notes:
I liked this run today because it was hard enough to feel productive but easy enough to enjoy it. If that makes sense.

Tomorrow
3 easy miles.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:04 pm

Off topic - I'm getting a bit envious of your Vegan restaurants and all the seemingly delicious foods you're eating lately.
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:03 pm

dot520 wrote:Off topic - I'm getting a bit envious of your Vegan restaurants and all the seemingly delicious foods you're eating lately.

Well except if it involves any vegan mayonnaise or cheese - simply yuk! Just kidding, Kenny - glad to see you back at it.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:49 pm

dot520 wrote:Off topic - I'm getting a bit envious of your Vegan restaurants and all the seemingly delicious foods you're eating lately.

The vegan food I have been eating at "VEGAN" restaurants have been quite delicious. The place by me unfortunately has a very limited menu so it does get repetitive.

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:

Well except if it involves any vegan mayonnaise or cheese - simply yuk! Just kidding, Kenny - glad to see you back at it.

Michele - Veganaise is great especially their chipolte one. Vegan cheese and sour cream is just not the same I agree. But you learn to love it! Kind of.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:50 pm

Today's Workout
Lovely morning for a run. Cool no wind dark outside just delicious. Did 3 miles easy avg. pace 8:50 on the fast side which felt quite peaceful

Tomorrow brings me to a tough workout 6 miles with 4@LT (6:56 pace).
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:48 am

Today's Workout
Was feeling something coming on yesterday so started taking my concoction of natural remedies. Woke up feeling a bit tired but with tight scratch throat. Could be cold coming on. I headed out doors to get the job done.

1 mile wu then hit 4 miles @ LT. I was surprised how fluent I was in this run and did not really start feeling this until the 4th mile which is great sign. I ended with splits:

6:55, 6:54, 6:54, 6:53 I purposely made it a point not to go any faster sticking to the coaches plan.

Tomorrow is a day off which is good timing.

PS: This Sunday I am planning on heading up to north jersey to do my first real more technical trail run with coach and friends. Should be interesting. I don't have trail shoes but I think I can get buy with my Ronin 2's or 3's.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:38 pm

Good to see that the loving feelnig seems to be returning!
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:40 pm

Nice running Kenny - enjoy!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:11 pm

Friday : I was off

Sat : did an easy 5 miles

Sunday 2 hour run in the Watchung Trails with some heavy hitting hills through some good mud and some single track technical paths. Not an easy run but very much enjoyable with my coach and friends.

Monday - my cold got really bad on Monday which was a day off anyway but today although feeling better I had to skip my tough track workout. I plan on running easy tonight maybe and pick up the speed work on wed or thursday depending on how I feel.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:08 pm

Came back yesteday with 4 easy miles

Today

Back with a vengeance. I nailed 6 x 800's at 3:14, 3:12. 3:10, 3:10, 3:06, 3:03. Now this was done on the roads so not 100% accurate as a track but, I was flying and by the last repeat I was pretty spent. By far the fastest 800 splits I have done to date.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:36 pm

What has become of you?
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:15 pm

Thanks Dot for asking. Been very busy with working but have still been a running fool out there. Training right now for a half marathon at the end of April. Coach has me running really hard on hard days and I have seen mark improvement in my speed during training. I now have to back it up with some new PR's. I came up shy on a very windy cold day in NY for a 10 mile race a few weeks ago. Im scheduled for a 5k later this month hope to make a good showing.

I will say however, my enthusiasm for running as been spotty. I am going through an emotional and spiritual awakening and just finding that energy being used in other areas of my life. Work, family, yoga, meditation, etc. Running was originally just used to stay healthy so maybe I am circling back around to that spot once again.

That said, I'd like to see if I can get through this year and qualify for Boston, also run NYC marathon, etc. We shall see.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down