365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Come Back to Boston

+31
Chris M
Ken Cushing
Matt W
Nick Morris
KBFitz
Michael Mitchell
Dave Bussard
carleenp
nkrichards
ounce
Diego
T Miller
Gobbles
Seth Harrison
Dave Wolfe
Alex Kubacki
KathyK
Liz R
JohnP
Mike MacLellan
Kenny B.
John Kilpatrick
kath
fostever
mountandog
Dave-O
Julie
dot520
mul21
Mark B
Michele "1L" Keane
35 posters

Page 4 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Come Back to Boston - Page 4 Empty Re: Come Back to Boston

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:26 pm

Wow, great morning for a run. Our first long run of the year run in absolutely ideal conditions - 30F at the start and 42F at the finish with sunshine and NO SNOW. Talking about pace, the beautiful morning found us running an overall pace of 9:25 per mile with a nice negative split. We ended up with a fast finish run as we decided to take advantage of the awesome conditions. You just don't get too many of these days in March in Cleveland! First miles were in the 9:45-9:50 range, last 3 were 8:40, 8:35 and 8:20. Finally feeling like myself! I do need to remember that my base is low, so I need to make sure not to get too carried away next Sunday at the half in Atlanta.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:01 pm

That sounds like a great run and what weather! Wow! March can really be iffy here, too, so best to make the most of it. Glad to hear you're feeling like your old.
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:36 pm

Great race, Michele!

We got 6" of snow today but I think it's the last of it. At least the last in the forecast Very Happy
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:45 pm

Julie - I am sure we are due a few more inches this winter as well, but alas, I will be able to enjoy some good weather in Atlanta the end of this week.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:11 am

I'm amazed at how your part of the country keeps getting walloped by snowstorms, Michele. Glad you got a break today.

Here's hoping spring comes soon for you.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:23 pm

Mark B wrote:I'm amazed at how your part of the country keeps getting walloped by snowstorms, Michele. Glad you got a break today.

Here's hoping spring comes soon for you.

It is because it really didn't snow at all here last winter (according to the locals).
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:06 pm

Just read your race report from New Orleans - I truly admire you - you are about as true of a runner as I imagine they come. I hope I can have your kind of attitude after a few more years of this. I think about you guys when I see all of the snow pictures this winter and we have been complaining because it might be (gasp) low 30s for a few mornings and have the highs only in the 50s on some days. Of course, now it is in the 70s but we will be, as you know, punished with the heat soon enough. Wish I could be a cheering section for you in Atlanta - maybe some day...

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:09 pm

Michele, it's early but here's some info on this years Falmouth if you wanted to run it.

Registration for the 2013 New Balance Falmouth Road Race Lottery will be open on early morning, Wednesday May 8, 2013 and close at 11:59 PM on Sunday, May 19, 2013. Lottery results will be posted no later than May 24, 2013.

The link for registration will be on this page as well as on our homepage.

Runners not chosen in the 2012 lottery will be able to register for the 2013 race at the same time as the lottery is occuring through a special link posted on this page.

Please note this is a lottery. All lottery entrants have an equal chance regardless of when he/she enters the lottery. In addition, entrants have the option of entering as an individual or as part of a group of up to 10 entrants. There is no advantage to entering as an individual or as a group.

http://www.falmouthroadrace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.main
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:08 pm

John's comment reminds me of a conversation I had during Pensacola Marathon. I told the guy I wore shorts it was above 30. He said he used the treadmill if it was below 40.
Either way, spring is coming. I'm looking forward to family walks in the evenings with the time change now.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:53 pm

Alex Kubacki wrote:Michele, it's early but here's some info on this years Falmouth if you wanted to run it.

Registration for the 2013 New Balance Falmouth Road Race Lottery will be open on early morning, Wednesday May 8, 2013 and close at 11:59 PM on Sunday, May 19, 2013. Lottery results will be posted no later than May 24, 2013.

The link for registration will be on this page as well as on our homepage.

Runners not chosen in the 2012 lottery will be able to register for the 2013 race at the same time as the lottery is occuring through a special link posted on this page.

Please note this is a lottery. All lottery entrants have an equal chance regardless of when he/she enters the lottery. In addition, entrants have the option of entering as an individual or as part of a group of up to 10 entrants. There is no advantage to entering as an individual or as a group.

http://www.falmouthroadrace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.main

Thanks, Alex. I would love to run it, but I didn't plan ahead and find anywhere to stay last August - maybe I'll plan better for 2014.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:08 pm

I now remember one reason (and maybe only) why living in Cleveland is infinitely better than Atlanta - TRAFFIC!!! At all hours of the day and night! I planned to meet some friends for a 7:30 run and I was delayed leaving downtown and had to take the back roads (which I am glad to know) as there was an overturned prison van on the highway that had everything shutdown. And last night, there was a high speed chase at 4:30 pm which had traffic at a standstill all the way from downtown into the northern suburbs (in all directions!).
Anyway, I'm slightly stressed over the fact that it could be as warm as 55F on Sunday morning and I'm most definitely not used to that kind of weather yet. And of course when I finally did meet everyone this morning (I was only 5 min late), it was only 38F - so Ohio weather! I'm also stressing a bit over the hills which is a bit crazy, but I feel like I am still behind a bit with regards to training and I certainly have not put in the hill work since I have to drive to them now. I do know the course like the back of my hand, so I just have to remember that you really can't bank time on a half marathon either and be smart for the race. I need to remember to use the hills as they are intended. Off to the Expo!

Last edited by Michele "1L" Keane on Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:08 pm

Good luck and have a great race!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:20 am

Well, it supposed to be 55F here at the start tomorrow. 55! I saw 55 one day this winter when we had a quick front pass through and it rained like crazy and was warm, but that was it. I feel for the marathoners as I understand that it really has not been that warm here either. At least the majority of the half marathoners will be done before it gets too warm. I guess we can enjoy the weather this afternoon when we are walking around downtown.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:50 pm

Haven't checked any stats on your run yet via FB. I'll check back here tomorrow or on the Race Report page.
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:23 pm

This weekend's Half marathon went ok thanks to my running buddy Sally who basically guided me through it. The weather was fine (52F) at the start, but I could feel the humidity for the first few miles and the hills. My left IT band and hip flexor was really tight from miles 6 through 11, but seemed to loosen up finally as I came up the final hill at 11.6 miles. Splits were decent although we went out a bit too fast which was ok as we recovered right away, but I do wish I had that mile back. We used the hills for their purpose by maintaining a pretty even effort so we had a couple of 7:59 miles and some 8:35 miles, but overall, the 1:49 effort was good. I had hoped it would be a bit quicker as I felt that I could run a bit quicker, but I was honestly never in the groove. I was also a bit discouraged initially as I thought that I had run 1:46 over the course in 2009 when I ran 3:59 at Boston and I felt that I might be in better shape this year. As it turns out, I actually ran 1:49:47 that year - so it made me feel much better.

Left the nice weather in Atlanta to return to the cold, windy, and wet weather in Ohio. At least has stopped raining for now as we have a "speed" session tonight. I hope the left leg is ok as it feels pretty good now.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:03 pm

Michele, take care of that leg...four weeks.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:05 pm

Seth Harrison wrote:Michele, take care of that leg...four weeks.

Thanks, Seth. Leg has been fine and I'm seeing my chiro on Thursday. I'm betting that it is a result of me slacking off a bit on the hip and glute exercises. My quads and hip flexors are rock solid, and I should know better. I so do wish I had easier access to hills though and with another week of winter weather, I'm not driving across town (to where there is snow on the ground) just to run a hill. Guess I'll be using that dreadmill again to run the 6 miles of Boston hills on Friday. Our last long run (21-22 miles) is on Saturday and it is supposed to be in the 30s. At least they are not forecasting snow or even snow showers after Thursday.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:23 pm

How'd the chiro visit go? I've been having some hip tightness and know it'd help if I did some of my old PT exercises... but it's kind of hard to get motivated. Slacking off is natural.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Gobbles Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:33 pm

Michele:
So your not in town for The Women's 5K?
We will definitely have to catch up next time you're in town.
Gobbles
Gobbles
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:55 pm

Which Thursday are you talking about? We're having snow tomorrow through Monday, meaning you'll have snow late tomorrow through Monday night. Sounds like you're getting sound advice from your professionals and I can't wait to hear how you do in Boston!
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:33 pm

Two days ago Thursday, and it snowed, so I changed the appointment to Monday. However, by this morning all the snow was gone, and although it was cold (26F) at the start, the temps went up into the mid-30s with sun (!) for most of our run. Accomplished 22 miles at an average of 9:40 pace (40-60 s over race pace), and I felt incredibly strong. Of course, I'm not sure I can run a 9 min pace when the race comes around, but it still felt good to realize that I could have easily sped up at the 22 mile mark and run another 4 without much effort. The metropark is not completely flat either as the data indicated that we actually climbed and dropped and I believe it. There are a couple of small but decent hills and it is never that New Orleans or Chicago flat monotony. Have a scheduled pace run for tomorrow, and there is not supposed to be any more snow tonight - just cold.

On another note, Boston University beat their rival Boston College in the Hockey East tournament semi-finals last night so they are now in the Championship game. If they win, they should be off the bubble and into the NCAA Frozen Four tournament. Their legendary coach, Jack Parker (40 yrs at the helm) announced his retirement last Monday on his 68th birthday, and the team seems to be rallying. My daughter was so excited as the games are at the TD (Boston) Garden. I watched the last period and BU looked like the team they were at the beginning of the season not who they were in February and March. Go Terriers!!!! Beat Lowell!!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:06 pm

Getting a successful 22 miler in weeks out is a great confidence boost Michele. Good job. Unlike me, you're ready!
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:17 pm

Solid run, Michele! Finishing 22 and feeling strong is a great way to build confidence.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:21 pm

I think you can do 9 min pace. Just get then long runs in at any reasonable pace relative to your goal, well you certainly know that. Trust the training and your fitness, your doing well.
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:03 am

Thanks all! It has just been a long time and I know that I'm no where near as fit as I was last March/April going into Boston.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next