365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Come Back to Boston

+31
Chris M
Ken Cushing
Matt W
Nick Morris
KBFitz
Michael Mitchell
Dave Bussard
carleenp
nkrichards
ounce
Diego
T Miller
Gobbles
Seth Harrison
Dave Wolfe
Alex Kubacki
KathyK
Liz R
JohnP
Mike MacLellan
Kenny B.
John Kilpatrick
kath
fostever
mountandog
Dave-O
Julie
dot520
mul21
Mark B
Michele "1L" Keane
35 posters

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Go down

Come Back to Boston - Page 10 Empty Re: Come Back to Boston

Post  JohnP Sun May 19, 2013 4:45 pm

Heat sucks even when you are used to it. Glad you are well and will be guaranteed to run Boston next year.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Sun May 19, 2013 7:37 pm

That sounds about like the weather we had this morning in northern Illinois. It got HOT by the end of the race. If not for that, I think we would have hit the 2:15 we were shooting for, and even at that easy of a pace for me, I was drenched and working harder than I should have been by the end of the race. Definitely the wise choice to back off and live to fight another day.

I've had a few warm ones lately (namely a 90 degree hilly run Tuesday), but I'm nowhere near ready to get after it with a hard effort in the warm weather yet. I can't imagine how rough it was going the full distance in that weather after being so used to the cold lately.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon May 20, 2013 9:24 am

mul21 wrote:That sounds about like the weather we had this morning in northern Illinois. It got HOT by the end of the race. If not for that, I think we would have hit the 2:15 we were shooting for, and even at that easy of a pace for me, I was drenched and working harder than I should have been by the end of the race. Definitely the wise choice to back off and live to fight another day.

I've had a few warm ones lately (namely a 90 degree hilly run Tuesday), but I'm nowhere near ready to get after it with a hard effort in the warm weather yet. I can't imagine how rough it was going the full distance in that weather after being so used to the cold lately.

No kidding Jim. I know I would have run differently or probably dropped at the half like more than half of the runners in our group did and most of my running group friends did. It was similar to Boston in 2012 in its feeling, but I am no where near that fit yet and I was unable to back off. I think if I was the 4:10 or 4:15 pacer, I would have been fine, but 4 hrs is still pushing it for me as I am not yet there as comfortably as I would like.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P Mon May 20, 2013 1:24 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Just found out that the 3:55 pacer dropped at 23 and was in the med tent. I hear he is ok though. That is where I did not want to be - thanks be to God.
Yes, thank God!
Dave P
Dave P
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Tue May 21, 2013 7:40 am

Tough conditions but you ran it smart and got some people to the finish line. Job well done. Now you can recover a bit and then turn to Indy and nail it.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue May 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Sounds like you made the right decision for both yourself and for your runners in tow. Better that you all live to run another day than end up in the medical tent and/or requiring a long recovery.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon May 27, 2013 8:45 pm

So Cleveland weather continues to bewilder. After the heat of last Sunday's race, the temps settled back down into the low 60s for the week, and we even had FROST warnings for Th and Fr mornings. This meant that the weather for Sat and Sun runs could not have been better - wish I could have boxed it up and sold it to every marathon I know. Decided to take an extra day of recovery as I had some stomach issues on Tu and W - not sure if it was a) something I ate, b) a bug, 3) maybe Sunday's heat, but nevertheless, it was still a recovery/taper week for Steamboat this coming Sunday. When I finally did run on Fr morning, it was so windy and cold, I thought winter had returned. Alas, like I said, Sat and Sun mornings had beautiful weather, so I ended up running 6 and then 9.5 and felt great.

Not sure of my exact strategy for Sunday's upcoming race, but I do know that I will be carrying water which is something I usually don't do. Not sure if a handheld will be big enough as the water stops are 3 miles apart, but it is altitude and dehydration can be a real problem. I've had issues with dehydration at sea level, so I need to be very conscious of this. I'm thinking my fuel belt won't make any "weight" difference since I'm not "racing" in the least. The course is deceptive in that the first half is net downhill, but I understand that there are some definite climbs. There is also a pretty good climb from mile 21-22, so I need to remember that. I also need to remember that no matter how good I think I feel, 8100' is a lot higher than 900'. I know I have to slow down my pace and I'm thinking that I walk the hills so as to keep the effort level equal. This one is about the state (CO) not the time. I am hoping the weather out there stays as it has been as the start will then be around 40F - or perfect!!

Wish I could have gone to Boston this past weekend to run in the 1 mile run from Kenmore to the finish line. I still need to get my closure and finish, but I guess it will have to wait until I am back there with my daughter in September.

Last edited by Michele "1L" Keane on Tue May 28, 2013 3:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Mon May 27, 2013 10:34 pm

I'm glad you're guaranteed in Boston so you don't have to worry about your time this weekend. You are not going to worry about your time, right Smile ?
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue May 28, 2013 3:05 pm

JohnP wrote:I'm glad you're guaranteed in Boston so you don't have to worry about your time this weekend. You are not going to worry about your time, right Smile ?

RIGHT!!!!! I expect 4:30-5 hrs.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri May 31, 2013 10:13 am

Off to Colorado in a few minutes - looks like the weather will be ideal with the possibility of low 40s at the start! I might actually freeze my butt off since it has been so warm here this last week. Waking up to 79F and 80% humidity is Atlanta weather in May, not Cleveland weather!!! However, if running in heat and humidity help acclimate one for altitude - then I am all set. Cannot believe that I am going to run my third marathon in 6 wks. Even when I used to run a lot of marathons in a year, I always set them at least 4 wks apart. All I can say is that this one cannot be any worse than the other two. I am already going to walk early (water stops and hills) just to make sure that I can deal with the altitude - so that makes it better already. I'm hoping to carry my phone to take some pictures, but I'm not sure it will fit in my belt pouch with gels.

At least after this weekend, I am off to Italy for 12 days with my daughter, and close friends of ours from Atlanta (another Mom and daughter). Cannot wait for the vacation! I think I will bring my running shoes as I hear that running in Florence and Venice can be a treat in the early morning hours.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri May 31, 2013 10:45 am

Have a great race in Colorado, Michele! I just checked the race website, and it looks positively gorgeous there! At least the elevation isn't going to be the only thing that's breathtaking. Smile

A handheld sounds like a good idea. It's going to be a LOT drier up there than you're used to.

And enjoy Italy! I hope you come back with all sorts of great memories and great photos to share.

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Fri May 31, 2013 3:57 pm

3 in 6 weeks. Not bad. Have a great race and then have fun in Italy.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:58 pm

Quick update: Colorado is done! 4:21 and 3rd in my AG. Planned walk breaks only - water stops to fill bottles and steep climbs. A bit warmer than expected, but felt strong the whole way with the slowed pace, altitude, and the surprisingly hot sun. Life is good as the Bruins kicked some bird butt last night and LeBron lost.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:50 pm

Congrats on a great run. Glad to hear you enjoyed this one a bit more than the last two. Have fun in Italy.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:41 pm

Nice job in Colorado! That's a solid race, especially considering the altitude and blazing sun. Congrats!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:46 am

Gratz. Do your best and try to have a great time in Florence. TRY!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:15 am

Awesome job. Great work on the three coming back from the injury.

Saturday night was a great night with not only the B's but the Sox beating up on the Yankees.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:17 pm

Congrats!!
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:00 pm

Nice job with your race. Doing three fulls in a month and a half has it's ups and downs. And with the altitude and heat, think you probably did close to as well as you could expect. Have a great time in Italy. Never been there but I've heard lots of wonderful things about visiting there.
I hear you on the strange weather. Last year it was warmest spring on record here, and this year one of the coolest. And with Boston and a tornado setting down a couple miles from home last Wed.... well you get the idea. It's been a year for a lot of us.... and it isn't even half over yet.
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:59 pm

Great job with your race. It is funny how the sun is much warmer in Colorado. It is a big difference to be 3,000 feet closer to the sun.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:52 am

Yo Yo I'm late to the party as usual but great job on your race. The joys of running in warm/hot weather and to put the cherry on top it comes when your not ready for it!!

It really does make a huge difference being able to train for months in heat compared to no training in heat. Good example for me is Chicago in 2011 it got up to 88 degrees and since I had all summer to train I still PR that day (something like 2:54) but Boston 2013 different story with the mild winter we had here I trained outside a lot rather then in the heat of the gym. Bad mistake yes Boston was hotter but still I could totally feel the difference of being prepared to run in the heat vs not being prepared.

Any who Cheers and hope all is going fabulous.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:42 am

Back from Italy.  Trip was excellent and I only ran 3x which might have been good for me as well.  I did run a 14K Run over a large hill in Monterosso.  It was a "race" of sorts as you paid to enter and got a number, but there were no official timers, etc. just blocked roads and one water stop.  I had no intentions of running in any kind of race, but fell on it by accident after hiking that afternoon.  I was wearing a Cleveland Marathon shirt and was asked if I ran it.

Since my new training cycle will be starting next week.  I guess I will suspend this blog and move to another.  Make it easier to find and easier to read.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:18 am

Welcome back, Michele! It sounds like you had a great time.

I can see why you're ready to start a new blog... I just hope the new one has photos from your trip!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:16 am

Where's the new blog or haven't you started your training yet?
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10