365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Now What To Do???

+19
jon c
nkrichards
Seth Harrison
Dave Wolfe
Chris M
JohnP
Kenny B.
mul21
Mark B
fostever
mountandog
Ben Z
Julie
John Kilpatrick
Bob
dot520
Jerry
Michele "1L" Keane
Nick Morris
23 posters

Page 7 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Now What To Do??? - Page 7 Empty Re: Now What To Do???

Post  Nick Morris Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:08 am

JohnP wrote:Good luck this weekend, Nick, really put all your effort into it, I feel you are ready for a breakthrough, and you are already fast to begin with.

Thanks John!!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:10 am

Getting ready to head to the start of my 50k relay race. I am the anchor, so I have a long time before I actually race. Today will be a good test to see how I am physically and will determine if I race the 8k next weekend or just run with my sister.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:41 am

Hope that it goes well, Nick!
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:28 am

Have fun!
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:44 pm

Hope the relay is going well - those types of events are such fun! Enjoy.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:55 am

Yesterday I ran a 50k relay at the Madison 100k race. Relay teams consisted of five members and were broken into division based on the total ages of all five team members (125 or younger, 126-150, 151-175, 176-200, 201-250, and 250+). In total there were 46 teams in the 50k relay. We were in the largest of divisions (201-250), which had 18 teams. We lucky had a 51 year old couple that could run fast and allowed us to have some younger team members. I was the fastest on the team, so I ran the anchor leg. I have ran the course many times in the last few months, so I knew the course well.

My goal coming in was to run hard and hopefully run something in the 40-42 minute range. Knowing that I am still not in peak shape (nor weight), I figured that would be a good goal. I ended up running a 42:20 or 6:49 pace. I was fairly happy with the run, but know that I can do sooo much better.

As far as the team goes, we ended up 2nd in our division and 10 overall. As a team, I am very happy with our performance. I will more than like run this relay race again next year.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:27 pm

Gratz, Nick! Swell job. Okay, kudos are done, so get back to work. Very Happy
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:36 pm

Wow, great work!
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:37 pm

Great job, Nick!
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:16 pm

Sounds like fun! And a 6:49 pace sounds pretty speedy to me. Good job.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:10 am

Mark B wrote:Sounds like fun! And a 6:49 pace sounds pretty speedy to me. Good job.

Not so much when you consider that I ran 13.1 last fall at a 6:28 pace...but Thanks!!! Smile
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:14 am

With the forecast calling for rain this afternoon, I decided to get up early to put my miles in today. And since it was 52 degrees at 5 am, I knew that I had to take advantage of the outside. I got in an easy 4.25 this morning at a 7:34 pace. I have an 8k race on Saturday, but I am not sure if I am going to race it or just run for fun with my sister...I guess we will see how I feel Saturday morning...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:26 am

Sounds like fun at the relay - question for you: how much time do you feel like it would take you to get back to your HM speed? I'm just curious at how long it takes your body to bounce back into peak form after a little bit of a layoff....

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:38 am

John Kilpatrick wrote:Sounds like fun at the relay - question for you: how much time do you feel like it would take you to get back to your HM speed? I'm just curious at how long it takes your body to bounce back into peak form after a little bit of a layoff....

When I get into training mode, it normally takes me about 8-10 weeks to start getting towards peak performance. Each year I maintain a base in the offseason. And each year the base times get faster. I could see myself being able to run a 1:24 marathon in August, if I start training mid June.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:40 am

Got in an easy 4.22 miles last night on a route that I have not run in quite a few months. I will, on the other hand, be frequenting this route again when my training program starts in a month and a half. I will have one more easy run tonight before an off day tomorrow and an 8k race on Saturday.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:13 am

Nice work at the relay, Nick. They are fun aren't they? Like you on Tuesday, I ran early today in the sunshine as it is supposed to rain starting later this afternoon into the evening.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:16 pm

Good job on the relay. Sounds like fun. I haven't tried one yet.

Have you decided on a fall marathon yet? I'm seriously considering Hamilton but I'm a bit concerned about the weather (wind on the lake) and the downhill section trashing my legs. I'm also looking at Monumental but it has a lot of turns and doesn't appear to be as fast as Hamilton.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:34 pm

nkrichards wrote:Good job on the relay. Sounds like fun. I haven't tried one yet.

Have you decided on a fall marathon yet? I'm seriously considering Hamilton but I'm a bit concerned about the weather (wind on the lake) and the downhill section trashing my legs. I'm also looking at Monumental but it has a lot of turns and doesn't appear to be as fast as Hamilton.

I am 90% sure that I am running Hamilton again this year. From my experience last year, the wind was not really a factor along the lake. I do know that they are taking the loop out of the course along the lake this year. So, you will not have to run along the lake as much. As far as the downhill portion, I think as long as you add a little hill training or leg strengthening into your training, you will be fine. The down hill portion only last for about 3 miles.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:22 pm

Same story, just a different day. Another easy 4 miles this afternoon. I did something new for the first time tonight. After following Ounce's thread regarding leg turnover, I decided to count my turnover. I have never done it before, as my phylosphy is if I focus on maintaining good form, the leg turnover will be there. Anyways, I counted one foots turnover for 30 seconds three different times and came up with the same number each time...45. That equates to 180 per minute (both feet). That was at an easy 7:30 pace, so I am betting that I am closer to 200 when I race. The one thing I learned is that my way of maintaing good form works and I am at the magic threshold Smile

Tomorrow is an off day, as I have an 8k race on Saturday morning. I am pretty sure that I am going to race it, as conditions are supposed to be great. I am looking to run it in 33 minutes or a 6:38 pace. I think that it is doable with my current fitness state. I ran the 10k last weekend in 6:49, so I think that I can sustain about 10 seconds faster with 1.25 miles less to run. There are two killer hills in this 8k, but there were three last weekend...it should even out Smile Once I am done, I believe that I am going to head back out to the course and re-run the last mile or so with my sister.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:13 pm

Ran an 8k race today, the Crazylegs Classic. The race is named after Elroy "Crazylegs" Hirsch and benefits the University of Wisconsin athletics. Hirsch played halfback at Wisconsin and Michigan before playing professionally for the Chicago Rockets and Los Angeles Rams. He had a great career and was inducted in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Anyways, this short 8k race has become very popular in Madison, as I have seen runner and walker totals reach over 22,000. This year there were a little over 17,000 runners and walkers. My goal going into the race was to race it with a goal of 33 minutes. Then head back and meet up with my sister and run the rest of the way in with her. Before I even started the race, things went wrong, as my damn Garmin (305) wouldn't turn on!!! I ended up grabbing my Galaxy SIII and downloading a a race pace app, but I found as I began to run that that app was shit...So, I was already in the whole from the start, as I was not sure what pace I was running. As I finished the first mile at around 6:30, I realized that my legs just wouldn't go. They had no spring and I knew that even if I had a watch, that I wouldn't be able to hold a 6:38 pace. At about mile two, I backed it off a little (not sure how much without the watch) and just decided to run off of feel and not try to hurt myself. I ended up finishing in 34:17, so I obviously I slowed down a bit. I guess I will take a 6:50 pace without a watch, but I know if my legs were up for it I could have held the 6:38 I had planned on.

Oh, and I did end up walking back a little over a mile and a quarter and ran to the finish again with my sister (aren't I such a nice brother??). It just ended up being one of those races where you don't ever feel very good, but I made my way through it and will move forward.

I have an easy 12 miles tomorrow...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:37 pm

Yipes. That sounded like a star-crossed race, for sure. At least you got this year's disaster out of the way, right?

Enjoy your easy 12 tomorrow.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula Sue Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:18 pm

Yes, you are a good brother, Nick Cool Hope your legs feel better in you 12 miler tomorrow.
Paula Sue
Paula Sue
Poster
Poster

http://oceanbreeze-lake-erie.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:08 pm

Nick Morris wrote:
nkrichards wrote:Good job on the relay. Sounds like fun. I haven't tried one yet.

I am 90% sure that I am running Hamilton again this year. From my experience last year, the wind was not really a factor along the lake. I do know that they are taking the loop out of the course along the lake this year. So, you will not have to run along the lake as much. As far as the downhill portion, I think as long as you add a little hill training or leg strengthening into your training, you will be fine. The down hill portion only last for about 3 miles.

Nick...I'm leaning toward Hamilton. I haven't registered yet but I did make a hotel reservation. Will probably register soon. I'm tempted to run Monumental so I can meet everyone but Hamilton appears to be a much quicker course.
Hope to see you there!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:31 pm

Mark B wrote:Yipes. That sounded like a star-crossed race, for sure. At least you got this year's disaster out of the way, right?

Enjoy your easy 12 tomorrow.

Yeah, I wasn't really going to put much weight into an 8k race. Basically, it was just a speed run.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:31 pm

Paula Sue wrote:Yes, you are a good brother, Nick Cool Hope your legs feel better in you 12 miler tomorrow.

Thanks!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum