365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

running related asthma?

2 posters

Go down

running related asthma? Empty running related asthma?

Post  amyjoann Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:38 pm

I think I might have running related asthma ,several times this summer I had instances were I couldn't breath and was weezing usually in real humid conditions,hot and running in a park up a huge hill. I'm getting a breath test but wanted anyones input on this. A friend of mine is a real fast runner she has asthma,but she induces an attack before a race then uses an inhaler so she won't have one during race. I mentioned this to pulmanologist and she said real bad idea never ever do that,use inhaler before attack full on. How will I know when to use inhaler or if i's just hard breathing due to good workout?t
amyjoann
amyjoann
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

running related asthma? Empty Re: running related asthma?

Post  wrichman Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:53 pm

how are you feeling these days?
a. I have asthma - and it's triggered more by allergies. I take singular every night, a steroid power inhaler every morning, and I have a rescue inhaler. If I feel any tightness, congestion, etc. in my chest, I take 2 puffs of the rescue inhaler 20 min. before I run. In the winter, I always carry it with me when I run b/c my asthma can get worse when it's below 20 degrees outside.
b. Do not "induce" an asthma attack! I don't know what your friend is thinking - but that is very dangerous specifically if your meds don't work or symptoms get worse.
c. I also struggle sometimes with knowing the difference between "hard breathing" and "labored, symptomatic breathing" sometimes - esp. in cold weather. In my experience, if my chest hurts, is tight, or feels like I'm not getting enough air (like I'm breathing through a straw feeling) then it's probably more asthma related.
hope that helps a little.
wrichman
wrichman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  amyjoann Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:35 pm

thanks that does help, a lot I am also doing the singular and symboricort powder along with rescue inhaler if I need it. I was really hoping winter wouldn't be so bad. Crying or Very sad the inhaler before I run has helped a lot, I can't believe how long I struggled with it till I went to get help not very smart. I'm managing much better
amyjoann
amyjoann
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  wrichman Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:25 pm

amyjoann wrote:thanks that does help, a lot I am also doing the singular and symboricort powder along with rescue inhaler if I need it. I was really hoping winter wouldn't be so bad. Crying or Very sad the inhaler before I run has helped a lot, I can't believe how long I struggled with it till I went to get help not very smart. I'm managing much better

Glad it's gotten better for you! I'm in the same camp - wasn't diagnosed until 4 years ago...had no idea!
wrichman
wrichman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down