365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Running Chicago as a training run

+11
healdgator
Mark B
Jerry
Tim C
Dave-O
JohnP
Michele "1L" Keane
Mike MacLellan
Admin
Julie
cnyoung19
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Running Chicago as a training run - Page 2 Empty Re: Running Chicago as a training run

Post  Mark B Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:38 am

Mike MacLellan wrote:
Mr MattM wrote:
Mike MacLellan wrote:

Farmers and employees get paid the same regardless. It's the big business that I'm "hurting," if you can call it that. Doesn't bother me a smidgen.

You don't really understand how business works. The dollars you save are NOT at the expense of some 'business' or the executives that run that business... those dollars are factored into the pricing... and other regular people end up paying for what you take. You can't cheat business, you can only make others (like me) pay for what you take. Thanks for that.

Sorry, I don't believe my taking of a few on-the-vine tomatoes instead of roma tomatoes in California affects your pricing at all. Just not buying it.

Speaking of "not buying it," I have a feeling a District Court judge won't buy your rationalization should your local retailer catch you shoplifting.

And you think saving a few pennies is a great idea and a smarter-than-them way to stick it to the man, remember the potential downside risk:

California Penal Code, Section 490.5. (a) Upon a first conviction for petty theft involving merchandise taken from a merchant's premises or a book or other library materials taken from a library facility, a person shall be punished by a mandatory fine of not less than fifty dollars ($50) and not more than one thousand dollars ($1,000) for each such violation; and may also be punished by imprisonment in the county jail, not exceeding six months, or both such fine and imprisonment.

And while a race director is probably unlikely to prosecute a bandit for petty theft, it's a different story at the local supermarket.

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Running Chicago as a training run - Page 2 Empty Re: Running Chicago as a training run

Post  healdgator Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:44 am

Run the course along the sidewalks. Same course, same distance, no entry fee, no banditing. Problem solved.

There may be some interference with other people at some point, so don't expect your best run.
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:55 pm

healdgator wrote:Run the course along the sidewalks. Same course, same distance, no entry fee, no banditing. Problem solved.

There may be some interference with other people at some point, so don't expect your best run.

lol!
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:45 pm

healdgator wrote:Run the course along the sidewalks. Same course, same distance, no entry fee, no banditing. Problem solved.

You'd have a better chance of running 20 miles through a shopping mall. Seriously, don't try this. The sidewalks are packed with people, stages, bands, beer garden, etc. For your own safety you'd be better off banditting.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:48 pm

hooboy
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:06 pm

healdgator wrote:hooboy

I'm guessing I missed some sarcasm. Embarassed

Its taper.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:22 pm

Dave-O wrote:
healdgator wrote:hooboy

I'm guessing I missed some sarcasm. Embarassed

Its taper.

Mike MacLellan wrote:

lol!

You're forgiven, Dave.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:15 pm

my daughter started this, so..............no comment. Shocked
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:08 pm

I have a old bib you can wear looks just like this years. I'll be running it as a training run also but I do have a bib for this year #8 in a row for me. I do believe Greg C has me beat for the most in the row though.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:36 pm

Kona is next weekend - you don't think they would mind if I just jumped in the swim with Andy Potts do you? Now that would actually be sort of funny to see what would happen. After all, the ocean is public Exclamation.

Chelsea - good job on stirring the hornet's nest hahaha! I wouldn't do it either but to each their own. Just doesn't seem right...

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:24 pm

My take on this particular situation is that....it's too crowded as it is with the paying participants to allow more folks on the course regardless of partaking of support. I vote for no more extraneous bodies, please.
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2