365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I'm back - seriously this time!

+12
Dave-O
Michael Mitchell
Mark B
fostever
Joel H
KathyK
T Miller
Mike MacLellan
JohnP
Michele "1L" Keane
Mrs. Schuey
Erin
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

I'm back - seriously this time! Empty I'm back - seriously this time!

Post  Erin Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:35 pm

Hi long lost friends!!

OK, so I'm friends with a lot of you on Facebook, so you're not really long lost but still...

For anyone who doesn't know me - short summary. I started running in 2007, got obsessed (as we all do...), and enjoyed training and racing for 2 solid years. 2 marathons and countless shorter races, including some PRs I am proud of. Let's be honest here - I'm not fast. Probably never will be. But I love it.

We made the decision that 2009 was the year we wanted to have a baby. And we were blessed to get pregnant very fast. Unfortunately, I was not one of those people who enjoyed my pregnancy. I was actively sick for about 30 weeks and had to quit running at about 6 weeks. Hated that and missed it every day. But got a beautiful baby out of it - she is now 2 1/2.

I started running again about 3 months after she was born and have been on and off ever since. Underestimated how much your life changes Smile But I have been training regularly for over a year now. The other thing that unfortunately fell by the wayside was you all and my running blog. I tried honestly to start several, but life got in the way.

So I'm back to give it another go. I don't think I'll ever be the kind of boards member I used to be (oh, the good old days) but I'm going to make an attempt to be around here on a regular basis. I really miss my running community and friends - you guys are the best kind of support!!

Currently 2 weeks out from the Race For The Fallen half marathon in Atlanta - I'm sherpa-ing a friend through her first half post baby. It won't be fast, but I've really had an awesome training cycle (Hal's Novice). Stepping it up to Intermediate for the Thunder Road Half November 15. And REALLY trying to figure out how to do a marathon next spring. I'd love to make that happen!
Erin
Erin

Back to top Go down

I'm back - seriously this time! Empty Re: I'm back - seriously this time!

Post  Mrs. Schuey Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:31 pm

Erin, I completely understand underestimating how much life changes. The timing/scheduling of things and the lack of energy/sleep really play into sticking to a running plan and having the time to blog. I know you've been away from blogging, but I'm happy to see that you are back! It will be really beneficial to bounce ideas off of each other and help others in the process. I'm excited to follow your training! Hopefully we get to see you again sometime soon too! Very Happy
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:15 pm

I get it, Erin, and if it makes you feel any better, I didn't race or train seriously for anything until my daughter was in school full time (she was 5!). I did run Peachtree every year since it is such a happening in Atlanta, but it was all for fun and sanity. Just keep at it when you can as staying healthy and fit is a gift that you can give your daughter. Believe me, I know as mine is now a college freshman.

Last edited by Michele "1L" Keane on Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:40 pm

Nice to see you here, Erin, besides on FB. I just can't believe how fast time has flown that she is 2 1/2 years old! Good luck with the pacing and other half, I'm sure you will do well in your training.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Erin Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:28 pm

Hi Lisa, Michele, and John - thanks for stopping by! Your encouragement means a lot! Smile

I guess I should have told you all about my run today... 5 miles at 10:14 pace - easy run. I usually run along the busier road by my house - as close to flat as you can get around here, nice sidewalk all the way, and if I go far enough it connects to a great path next to a golf course. I miss my Chicago lakefront path SOOOO much (pretty much the only thing I miss - besides the people!) but I've found some decent routes here. I tell you though - there is nothing quite like SC humidity in the summer. July and August are just murderous. Thankfully, every other month is wonderful for running. The winter is a dream!!
Erin
Erin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:50 pm

Hi Erin, new face here. Actually, I might have said hello on your last blog, too. I don't know. Anyway, best of luck with continuing your training! I think a spring marathon is entirely feasible, as long as you have time in your schedule. A short down period until around Christmas should leave you with plenty of time to get the mileage back up.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Erin Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:47 am

Hi Mike! Nice to meet a new friend. I do hope I can find time for marathon training - running in the winter down here is just too awesome to waste!!

Rest day for me today.

BUT... It's the first day of Spartan football! Those of you know me know I am a huge Michigan State fan (I went to vet school there). Those of you who don't - I'm a little crazy about football Laughing Any football discussions welcomed here! Whit and I actually got a babysitter and are headed out to watch the game tonight.

Then glorious College Football Saturday Smile My alma mater Miami of Ohio plays Ohio State which never goes well for us but will be fun to watch on TV regardless.

One of my daughter's first words was touchdown. And she asks to watch Game Day. I think we're doing something right cheers
Erin
Erin

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:59 am

Welcome back Erin. Good luck in your pursuits.
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:48 am

Welcome back Erin! Glad to see you blogging again!
My step-daughter often runs at a greenway in Fort Mill. Have you discovered that yet? I ran there with her one time and just loved it. It was a little hilly...but quick ups and downs rather than long steep climbs.

As I said in Lisa's blog...we are at opposite ends of the mommy continuum...your girls are young, mine just got engaged. Lots of milestones in store for all of us!
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:07 am

Woohooo, Erin is BACK!! Now this time you need to stick around, ok? Just messin with you. Glad to see you back and blogging again. Kids are a blast but they sure are a lot of work the first few years aren't they? Good luck in your sherpaing duties and good luck in your 1/2 in November.
Joel H
Joel H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:40 am

Hey welcome back. I lament about Chi-town occasionally too, but it has become home after 28 years, geez. So I'll also be watching the mighty Buckeyes Saturday. Didn't even realize they play Miami. I went to Ohio U (Bobcats) so I guess I'm on the other side as far as Football rivalries go. Never the less, it's all good on the runner/fitness family thing. Congrats on keeping your priorities straight and putting family first. Good luck on the upcoming race and training!
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Erin Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:34 pm

Thanks for stopping by friends!! I feel the love Laughing

Kathy - I have been scared to run on the greenway by myself. Just seems like one of those places women go running and never come back - maybe I'm being a freak. I do run there occasionally with friends and did a 5K there in the spring which was a blast. I have learned to embrace hills living here - you really don't have any other choice!
Erin
Erin

Back to top Go down

Post  Erin Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:59 am

3 miles at 10:21 pace today. It was a make up run from Wednesday - usually today is cross training (which I just really hate and often skip... I know, I know). When I do my 3s, I go the hilly route in our neighborhood - two sizeable hills and the rest rolling. Good for your character Smile

Today was HOT and most of the route is in direct sun. Plus we were up late last night watching Michigan State and might have had a few beers. Still, it wasn't an unenjoyable run. Would have liked just a touch faster, but you can't have everything...

Now for a full day of football and then 9 miles tomorrow!! cheers
Erin
Erin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:18 am

Welcome back, Erin! And don't feel too bad about taking some breaks from running from time to time. Think of it as extended interval training. Very Happy

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Erin Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:24 pm

Hi Mark Smile

9 miles yesterday. I took off about 6:45am so I got to take advantage of the shade for about 3/4 of the run. The last 1/4 was brutal. Hot, humid, slow. 10:45 pace. I did manage to really zone about for about 3 miles - I love it when that happens, then you come back to and you're so much further than you were before! The joys of running Smile

Did I tell you all Whit started running?? A co-worker of his was diagnosed with diabetes and it scared him. He's been eating really well, running, and lifting for the last month and has lost about 20 lbs. So proud of him!
Erin
Erin

Back to top Go down

Post  Erin Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:05 am

3 miles today at 10:04 pace. Was supposed to be 5 today, but I have a dr appt and wouldn't have enough time to fit everything in before I had to go get Abby at preschool. (PS running while child is at preschool = awesome!) So 3 today and 5 tomorrow. Went the hilly route but was still able to keep the pace down - felt like a great run! I definitely had some kick Smile
Erin
Erin

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:07 am

Looking good, Erin! It's great that Whit has started to run, too! I always enjoy my runs with Jack.
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Erin Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:52 am

5 miles yesterday, 5 miles today.

Yesterday - 10:27 pace. Felt sluggish until the end. I find that to be the biggest difference about my running post pregnancy - it takes me a lot longer to feel good. That may be the extra weight, the hypothyroidism (although it's controlled), the fact that I'm 3 years older... Who knows. I didn't really feel good until the last 1.5 miles or so. Still so humid here you could cut the air with a knife. Oh, how I look forward to winter running!

Today - 10:11 pace. Warmed up a little faster. Still humid but there was a breeze, which helped. Felt stronger overall.
Erin
Erin

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:23 am

Congrats on Whit starting to run and losing that weight, it is fun to run with the spouse. I totally agree that running while the kids are gone is AWESOME!! The first few times I didn't have to push the baby stroller I felt like was sprinting.

Looking strong already on your runs. I don't know about you but it takes me until about 6 miles to feel good in this heat. In the winter it takes about 1/2 to 1 mile to start feeling good. It could be the heat or it could all be in my head.

Joel H
Joel H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Mitchell Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:30 am

Welcome back....Long time no see!!
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.letsrun.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:08 pm

Well, its been a week now, so I guess I can believe you are back for real this time. Very Happy
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Erin Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:41 pm

I know! I've made it through a whole week! That's gotta be a post Abby record Very Happy
Erin
Erin

Back to top Go down

Post  Erin Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:10 am

Last night's run was one of my proudest moments as a runner. I love those runs Smile

I knew, given the schedule for the weekend, that a morning run was likely not going to work. Family pictures Saturday morning, then a kayak trip with friends Sunday morning. I didn't want to miss pool time with my baby, the Spartan game, or the Lions game (my first Sunday with Sunday ticket!!) So Saturday night it would have to be.

We had a girls night Friday night and stayed up too late. Thankfully I got a nap Saturday, but I was still not at my best when the time rolled around for my run. The thing I had strongly working in my favor was the weather - after being super hot all day it had cooled down and a light rain was falling. I waited until Abby was in bed (Whit was watching HIS football game) then made myself get out there. I thought it was likely going to be a death march.

And you know what? It was my best run of this cycle. I felt AWESOME! The weather was perfect, my body was loose, the pace came easy. I was so proud of myself for getting out there - in the dark - and getting it done. I even had to run two loops (in the dark, I stick to main roads only) and I still found myself happy to head back out there.

Nothing quite like a long run that feels like that Smile

10 miles, 1:44:31, 10:26 pace.
Erin
Erin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Mello Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:55 am

Hey Erin!

Great to see you back at it! 2 1/2!?!? Wow. Time flies, and it will continue to do so. Sounds like your running is going really well, despite some changes (and yes, getting older DOES have an impact! Very Happy).

Thought you would be happy to know that I drafted Stafford and Titus Young on my fantasy team this year. Last year I had Megatron, and won, so hopefully the Lions will bring me good luck again!

Anyway, I'll pop in when I can - I'm lurking around here, but don't post much. Keep up the great work!!
Ken Mello
Ken Mello
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Erin Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:26 pm

Hi Ken! Sorry about Stafford and the 20 INTs this weekend - he'll get better and you'll be happy - I promise!

Sorry to be MIA for a bit - has been super busy! I ran Tuesday - 4 miles at 10:20 pace per my schedule. Felt stiff and yucky. One of those runs.

This plan only gives you a week of anything considered "taper" which is generally good for me because taper is when I get sick. Almost always. This time I don't get sick, but my neck freaks out on me again. It has done this three times now since I had Abby, and my doctors tell me it's from lugging around a large child (not fat, mind you - just huge for her age). Anyway, it requires rest, sleeping on the couch as that is the best way to get comfortable, and a Tylenol/Advil regimen. I skipped the 3 miles yesterday, and ran 3 today instead of 2. It's better, and thankfully didn't hurt when I went out today. Did 10:30 pace - took it super easy and felt fine. Not nearly as stiff in the legs as Tuesday.

Yuck, taper sucks. Even if it is extremely short.

My friend who I am sherpa-ing this weekend was honest that she may need some walk breaks and to go slow. I replied, "No problem whatsoever." Need to get through this neck thing, run this race, and then the real fun can begin Smile
Erin
Erin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next