365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

10k Training

+3
Schuey
Chris M
Mike MacLellan
7 posters

Go down

10k Training Empty 10k Training

Post  Mike MacLellan Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:32 pm

Another one of Mike's "help me make my plan, derp" threads.

As of yesterday, I had 14 weeks until my goal 10k (Thanksgiving). I'm shooting for somewhere between 37:12 and 37:37 (6:00-6:03 pace, the former being a nice number, the latter being my equivalent for a 6:45 marathon pace).

So far, I've got 30-50mpw scheduled (this feels light/very conservative, so it'll probably be fleshed out a bit once I get into the swing of things back up north). The plan is based on the 10k intermediate from Run Faster:

First there's a base period. I'd like to add some 10k specific work to that... I've seen suggestions of building up to a 3x 2mi @10k pace workout, starting 10-12 weeks out and having that workout be 10 days-2 weeks out. I'd like to ease into that a bit more, since speedwork tends to cause me problems (read: injuries), so my thought was to start with a weekly workout of mile repeats at 10k pace, culminating in 6x 1mi 10 weeks out. That's the start of the build to 3x 2mi. This week was 5x .5mi. Next week I plan 2-3x 1mi, then 4x 1mi, then a stepback week. Good?

After the stepback is speed/strength. Other than the 10k specific work (every 2 weeks from 10-on), this focuses on fartlek-style running starting with short intervals at mile pace and building to 1min/1min @5k pace. This lasts 4 weeks and culminates in a 5k TT.

Last phase is stamina/10k-specific training. During this month, there's some 5k intervals, the "important" 10k workouts, and a lot of tempo (HM-10k) work. This is also the highest mileage month.

My taper is 10-12 days.

Ready, set, critique!

Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

10k Training Empty Re: 10k Training

Post  Chris M Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:34 am

It sounds like you have read this article but this is what I would follow if I was specifically prepping for a 10K:

http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=19553
Performance Page: The Best 10K Workout

Plus the buildup to the ultimate workout

By Greg McMillan, M.S.
As featured in the May 2010 issue of Running Times Magazine

printmail
After running countless 10Ks and coaching runners who have run countless more, I've found one workout to be the absolute best to prepare you for the distance. It's not an easy workout and you probably can't do it right away, so you'll need to build up to it with the sequence of workouts outlined here, which, when combined with supplementary workouts, creates an exceptional training plan for your next goal 10K.

THE BEST 10K WORKOUT: 3 X 2 MILES
If you can perform three 2-mile repeats at your goal 10K pace in the last one to two weeks before your race, you will achieve your goal time. Period. It's a simple workout but oh-so-hard to accomplish. As such, you must build up to it, and this buildup of workouts turns out to be some of the best training you can do to run a fast 10K.

BUILDUP WORKOUT NO. 1: 6 X 1 MILE
Eight weeks out from your 10K, run six 1-mile repeats at your goal 10K pace, taking 3 to 4 minutes recovery jog between each. Don't be surprised if you struggle in this workout. Many athletes become worried that their goal is out of reach, but trust me: You just need to complete the workout sequence and you'll be ready. One thing I find helps is to just focus on goal 10K pace, not faster. Some runners try to "beat the workout" by running faster but that isn't the goal. Start at goal pace and simply hang on.

BUILDUP WORKOUT NO. 2: 2 MILE + 4 X 1 MILE
Six weeks out from your 10K, advance to the following workout: Run a 2-mile repeat at your goal 10K pace then take a 5-minute recovery jog. Next, run four 1-mile repeats at goal 10K pace, taking 3 to 4 minutes recovery jog between each. As with Workout No. 1, you will get in 6 miles of running at your goal pace.

BUILDUP WORKOUT NO. 3: 2 X 2 MILE + 2 X 1 MILE
Four weeks out from the race, the workout advances yet again. This time, run two 2-mile repeats at goal 10K pace. Again, take a 5-minute recovery jog after each 2-mile repeat. Then, perform two 1-mile repeats at goal pace, taking 3 minutes recovery between each. By now, you should be feeling much more ready to attack your goal time. Your body is becoming calloused to the mental and physical stress of 10K pace. If, however, you're struggling to hit your goal pace even on the first 2-mile repeat, then your proposed goal pace is too aggressive and you should re-evaluate.

WORLD'S BEST 10K WORKOUT
After this buildup of workouts, you're ready to attack the ultimate 10K workout. I suggest you perform this workout nine to 12 days before your race to allow enough time to recover before the event. Start with your usual warm-up (which you should perform for each workout described in this article), then run three 2-mile repeats at your goal 10K pace. Take a 5-minute recovery jog between each repeat. Prepare for this intense workout like you will your race -- be well-recovered, properly hydrated and fueled, use the equipment you'll use in the race, run at the time of day that you'll be racing.

SUPPLEMENTARY WORKOUTS
While the 10K buildup workouts occur every other week, the in-between weeks provide a great opportunity to perform other important 5K and 10K workouts. I like 200m and 400m repeats performed at 5K effort. I find that running slightly faster repeats on the in-between weeks makes 10K race pace feel easier. You may even perform a 5K race in preparation for your 10K. I also recommend at least one tempo run during this buildup. The pace will be slightly slower than 10K pace but will build your stamina for the goal event.

SIMPLE EIGHT-WEEK WORKOUT SEQUENCE FOR A FAST 10K

WEEK

KEY WORKOUT

NOTES

6 x 1M

3-minute jog between 1M repeats

10-12 x 400m

Run the 400m repeats at 5K race pace; 200m jog between

2M + 4 x 1M

5-minute jog between 2M repeats, 3-minute jog between 1M repeats

3M Tempo Run or 5K Race

One simple prediction method is to double your 5K time and add 1 minute to get your 10K time. Are you on track for your goal 10K time?

2 x 2M + 2 x 1M

5-minute jog between 2M repeats, 3-minute jog between 1M repeats

20-24 x 200m

Run the 200m repeats at 5K race pace; 200m jog between

3 x 2M

Run the 200m repeats at 5K race pace; 200m jog between

RACE: 10K

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GREG MCMILLAN is an exercise physiologistand USATF-certified coach who helps runnersvia his Web site mcmillanrunning.com.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:39 pm

Ha that's funny Chris beat me to the punch in posting the "The Best 10k Workout Ever"! Those are the workouts that I used for my 10k PR attempt of Nov 2010 when I ran 36:50.

I would say you are on the right track, I think the base building period is very important. I ran my 10k after running a PR in the Chicago marathon and made good use to all my miles I ran during marathon training. Looking back at my log my mileage for the 10k training was between 70 to 80 miles a week.

There was no doubt that the 3x2 workout 12 days before my 10k race was an awesome predictor and confidence builder to what was to take place on race day. Not only was this workout tough but it showed me that I was ready to take on the 10k and funny thing was the avg. pace of 5:55 for this workout was what I ended up running in the race. I must added that if I had some bigger balls and took a little more of risk and sucked it up some I think that I race day I could have ran a little faster. I must admit that I still need to learn how to race a 10k.

2 things for you to think about in my opinion 1. Using Greg's workout schedule which Chris lists out after the description of the workouts. 2. Not sold that you will need 10 to 12 days of taper for a 10k. We are all different but I gave myself 7 or 8 days of taper with taking the day off before the race. I only did that because we traveled to Detroit that day. The surprising thing was I find myself really fresh and ready to go the morning of the race.

Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:54 pm

Chris - Yep, that's the one. I will see how I can incorporate the non-10k-specific weeks into the existing/tentative plan I have right now. But it's good to have a vote of confidence for that one.

Schuey - I know, 30-50 is super light, right? Fortunately, I had to stop myself from running too far today, so I definitely WANT to be running in the 50mpw range at this point. As always, I'm sure I'll tweak as I go, but I'm better starting with a very conservative plan instead of an ambitious one that I'll feel pressured to complete.

Thanks for the responses, guys. Looks like I'm getting it together.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Bussard Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:59 pm

Here's my 2 cents....

I like a nice mix of 3-4-5 miles tempos, maybe get on the track for some 400's, longer reps or ladders, and get after the weekly long run. And....ditch the long taper. My last hard workout before a shorter race is 3-4 days out. Keep everything else the same.
Dave Bussard
Dave Bussard
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:58 am

Dave - Feeling honored to have input from such a fast guy. Define "long" for the long run? 10? 12? 14? (Please don't say) 16? Any suggestions for ladders? Tempo pace = HM? 15k?
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:56 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:Dave - Feeling honored to have input from such a fast guy. Define "long" for the long run? 10? 12? 14? (Please don't say) 16? Any suggestions for ladders? Tempo pace = HM? 15k?

Long runs: I'd say 90 minutes, at least. Definitely up to 14, 16 or even 18 would probably be ideal. The 10k is still heavily dependent on aerobic fitness.

Ladders: One of the most painfully satisfying workouts ever is 400-800-1200-1600-1600-1200-800-400. 400m job between the intervals, except for 800m between the 1600's. Aim for your pace on the way back down to be faster than the way up.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:16 pm

Oof. And here I thought I would be able to avoid long runs doing a 10k (which is why I bailed on a fall marathon). I suppose 14s and even a 16 or two won't kill me. Especially if I'm feeling the need to up my mileage. 18 won't happen What a Face

For that ladder, is 10k pace on the way up with 5k pace on the way down a good goal? Or maybe a little faster?
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:51 pm

Ok, if it makes you feel any better, I disagree with Dave-O in the fact that you need long runs of up to 18 miles in 10K training. You absolutely need aerobic capacity, but you also need speed. I might not be in Dave-O or even Dave B's category for 10K times, but i did run several sub-37s back in the day. (My fastest in recent years (2011) is only 43 min, but that was done strictly on marathon training with not much speed at all.) I can most definitely tell you that the longest "long runs" that I ever did in training for those faster 10Ks and even half marathons was 12-13 miles - because like you, I am not a beast of long runs as they just beat me up and become almost counterproductive if I run too many.

As for the speed work, I think you need to be a bit faster than 5k pace, but of course, in my experience, my 5k pace is only a few sec faster than my 10K pace (5:53 vs. 5:57 back in the day and 6:55 vs. 7 min now if I'm in top shape). Obviously, this let's you know that I'm really a "middle" distance runner in that I should really specialize in 10 miles and half marathons.

As for taper, what taper? You really only need to be sharp a few days before the race - so if the race is on Sun, then speed on Tues followed by a couple of easy days, day off on Friday and a couple of miles with striders on Sat.

Take all advice with a grain of salt, Mike as we are all an experiment of one and we each find what works best for us.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:23 pm

Michele - Definitely taking everything and incorporating what I think will suit my strengths and weaknesses, not just throwing out the existing plan. I know I need to work on my turnover/strength/top-end speed, so going slightly above 5k (when I start feeling uncomfortable) is probably a good range.

And given your 10k and marathon PRs being within reach from mine... You know that now I have to chase every one of yours down, right? What a Face

I should clarify that by "taper," I meant sharpening. Still planning on doing a hard run 10/7/4 days out, just a steep reduction in mileage that last week. Intensity will remain the same.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:59 pm

Exactly! Be aware too that when I was specifically training for 10K PRs, I only ran 35-40 mpw as I had a full time job tht had me travelling a great deal. So I had to pick quality over quantity.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Bussard Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:53 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:Define "long" for the long run? 10? 12? 14? (Please don't say) 16? Any suggestions for ladders? Tempo pace = HM? 15k?

I like 12-14 miles for long runs. Mostly because I really don't like to run for much more than 1:30... I almost always run them as progressive, starting out easy and finishing at HM pace. Other times I'll run the middle 5 or so at close to HM pace. Then other times I'll just run them at a pretty good pace; HMpace+1:00. I never just go out and run them easy. Weekend long runs are one of my two hard days each week. The other being a midweek speed-day...

I really like Dave-O's ladder workout. 4-8-12-16-16-12-8-4 w/400 jog. I also do a baby version of 4-8-12-16-4

Hmmmm. Tempo pace. I usually say 'Tempo Pace' but mean 'As hard as I can'. I usually run 3-4 mile tempos. They are almost always progressive. Start out at HM pace and finish up at 10K pace.

Now with all that being said, back in the day I could run in the mid 31's on 45 miles/week and a 10 mile long run on Sundays so who really knows?....
Dave Bussard
Dave Bussard
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:29 am

Dave Bussard wrote:
Mike MacLellan wrote:Define "long" for the long run? 10? 12? 14? (Please don't say) 16? Any suggestions for ladders? Tempo pace = HM? 15k?

Now with all that being said, back in the day I could run in the mid 31's on 45 miles/week and a 10 mile long run on Sundays so who really knows?....

We need to put this all in perspective Dave as "back in the day" is the same age as Mike Very Happy
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Bussard Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:57 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:
Dave Bussard wrote:

We need to put this all in perspective Dave as "back in the day" is the same age as Mike Very Happy

Yea, pretty scary. Lot of these kid's probably weren't born in 1983!
Dave Bussard
Dave Bussard
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:59 pm

Dave Bussard wrote:
Michele "1L" Keane wrote:
Dave Bussard wrote:

Yea, pretty scary. Lot of these kid's probably weren't born in 1983!

Jerry was in his prime, not the same caliber as Dave, in 1983 too. lol!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:11 pm

10k is the worst road race distance, ruuning in the similar pain zone as 5k, but twice the distance, so the best plan is not to do it.

If you have to, remember to ask me the race tip the last days, I will give you the ultimate advice.

As for training, not to disagree with all the great advice above, I would look for long tempo run. Run hard but relaxed is the key. Many of the above great runners already master it better. That's my weakness and I would focus on that.

Second Dave-O's weekly long run idea. Don't know why, 1.5-2.0 hours LSD flushes my body and keeps it shape, but may because I am lazy other times. You have to make a call yourself.

Edit: I take back the long run optional statement. What else would you do otherwise, interval every day? A 15 easy every week should be just a cruise anyway.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:50 pm

Jerry, you crack me up. All advice duly noted.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:33 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:Jerry, you crack me up. All advice duly noted.

I think Jerry cracks himself up!

Best of luck with the 10k training, I found this distance to be one of the most challenging to race. Great distance to test one's training, speed and mental focus!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down