365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You must pick ONE!

+16
Michael Enright
Alex Kubacki
Jerry
Nick Morris
Diego
Matt W
Mark B
Kenny B.
dot520
Michele "1L" Keane
healdgator
ssilvert
Chris M
Admin
fostever
Dave-O
20 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

You must pick ONE! - Page 2 Empty Re: You must pick ONE!

Post  ssilvert Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:43 am

[quote="Chris M"]
Jerry wrote:
Michael Enright wrote:Women's soccer semi (Stan has it above). It was especially exciting because my 16 year old daughter was on a really good travel soccer team and was really into the game, and though it was tape-delayed, we had no idea what happened in the end. Frickin' awesome!

Semi,huh?

Apparently you and Stan didn't have chance to see the final or don't know much about soccer. lol!
I actually did miss the final, so I can't compare.

Nah, Stan is right. Anyone who watched both games would pick the Semi over the Final as the memorable one. I do think that Canada got completely robbed by the ref. That was a truly horrible game deciding call - I've never seen such a ticky tack whistle and to give an indirect only 14 yards out? Insane. That led to the penalty which of course led to the US getting the eqaulizer and the amazing last second Morgan goal. There was so much incredible drama in that Canada game.
There were two handballs in that sequence. It's hard to call both as incidental. Plus there were several calls before where a penalty on Canada could have been called inside the box and it was determined to be outside. I think in the ref's mind that becomes, "Surely one of these adds up to a PK. We have to award one".

That's one of the frustrating things about soccer. Too much rides on the opinion of the official. In most other sports it's kind of rare to see a match where one call truly decides the outcome.

Stan
ssilvert
ssilvert
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:28 am

[quote="ssilvert"]
Chris M wrote:
Jerry wrote:
Michael Enright wrote:Women's soccer semi (Stan has it above). It was especially exciting because my 16 year old daughter was on a really good travel soccer team and was really into the game, and though it was tape-delayed, we had no idea what happened in the end. Frickin' awesome!

Semi,huh?

Apparently you and Stan didn't have chance to see the final or don't know much about soccer. lol!
I actually did miss the final, so I can't compare.

Nah, Stan is right. Anyone who watched both games would pick the Semi over the Final as the memorable one. I do think that Canada got completely robbed by the ref. That was a truly horrible game deciding call - I've never seen such a ticky tack whistle and to give an indirect only 14 yards out? Insane. That led to the penalty which of course led to the US getting the eqaulizer and the amazing last second Morgan goal. There was so much incredible drama in that Canada game.
There were two handballs in that sequence. It's hard to call both as incidental. Plus there were several calls before where a penalty on Canada could have been called inside the box and it was determined to be outside. I think in the ref's mind that becomes, "Surely one of these adds up to a PK. We have to award one".

That's one of the frustrating things about soccer. Too much rides on the opinion of the official. In most other sports it's kind of rare to see a match where one call truly decides the outcome.

Stan
More has come out about that Canada goalie taking 20+ seconds walking around with the ball and being warned by the ref before the fateful call. I still say the ref handled it badly and that was a truly game deciding call. Let the punt land at midfield, blow it dead there for a US kick, yellow card the keeper, play on. How they got to having a free kick inside the box was garbage, I thought but the hand ball call was legit, in my mind. The first one was a glancing blow you could let slide but the 2nd pretty obvious. Although....so was the blatant handball by Heath in the Final! So the US got some lucky breaks along the way to be sure...

Random ref/soccer rant. The whole "injury time" thing at the end of each half is nonsense. In 2012, we have figured out these things called scoreboard clocks. That should show the time remaining in the game for everyone in the stadium, fans and players alike, and any time the ref wants to stop the clock during the half, they can do that. Then everyone knows exactly how much time is left instead of the insanity of the ref just making it up in their head and going by whatever their whim is.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim fredericks Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:56 pm

Women's field hockey team from The Netherlands! Did you see them. I mean Wow!!
Jim fredericks
Jim fredericks
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Erin Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:40 pm

Loved watching Meb come up to finish 4th in the marathon. It was just incredibly inspiring. Had a great long run after that cheers
Erin
Erin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2