365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who's still posting over there?

+36
Pete B
fostever
charles.moman
carleenp
dot520
healdgator
Colleen
Matt W
Stephanie
Paula Sue
mul21
GregC
Erin
Michele "1L" Keane
Michael Mitchell
Dave Bussard
Ken Mello
Schuey
Martin VW
Diego
John Kilpatrick
Seth Harrison
Julie
Dave Wolfe
Bob
Admin
Jerry
Tim M
ChasMcG
Dave-O
Kenny B.
Michael Enright
Natalie
Nick Morris
Mrs. Schuey
Peg Coover
40 posters

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Who's still posting over there? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who's still posting over there?

Post  Diego Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:41 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:
Bob wrote:I also love this new format. I was having a hell of a time figuring out the new TP's changes. In fact, I couldn't access it from work or from my phone. I thought I was the only one that was so frustrated, I gave up trying to figure it out.

That said, I do have mixed feelings having all of us leave Hal. A number of years ago a similar mass exodus happened when many V-Teamers left his boards. A few stayed, some came back, others never returned. Many of those people still remain friends. Since I have been fortunate to have met so many great people through Hal's boards, I've always been appreciative and felt a loyalty to Hal. I'll probably find myself still checking out what he's got going on, who he's attracting over there and occasionally posting some useless comments that I'm good for.

One of the issues that can happen, not having Hal, is attracting new users. When the last group left and started tapermadness.com, everyone was gung ho to have our own place. We had the logo, the hats, the pamphlets to add to race packets and signs for cars at races, but membership was slow to grow. As time went on, much of the talk changed from running to other topics, people stopped running for whatever reason, some began to leave, and the membership began to dwindle. It's still a fun place to waste some time and chat with friends, but definitely has changed from what it was intended to be at the startup.

By no means am I intending to tell people how to run a website here, but just adding in a couple cents on something that might want to be discussed in a thread somewhere.

+1 (Well except for the useless quotes. I, too, was/am a part of tapermadness.org, and I have actually known Bob, GregC, Farnk, Liz, and others for several years. I consider them good running friends which they might not consider me as, but that's ok.)

Agreed. Whatever happened to Chiaren who had the title bunnybabe or something like that? I still remember when Amanda Musacchio (Hal's niece) frequented these boards(virtual forums).
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Who's still posting over there? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who's still posting over there?

Post  Natalie Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:47 pm

Mr MattM wrote:No, it was not Hal. I seriously doubt he will post here.

Well, that mystery is solved.
Natalie
Natalie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:52 pm

Natalie Wolf wrote:

Wasn't me, either.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalie Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:02 pm

Mr MattM wrote:
Natalie Wolf wrote:

Wasn't me, either.

Now it's a mystery again. Hmm....
Natalie
Natalie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Erin Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:44 pm

I haven't been around the V-boards for a while due to general life craziness, and I wasn't aware of the problems going on with TP. I haven't been back since joining this site. Truthfully, a HUGE reason why I kept coming back to the V-boards was you all. Your support, knowledge, and friendship have been invaluable in my development as a runner. I spent a lot of time on runs and during races composing blog posts and race reports because I knew people were there and cared about how I was doing. I hope I filled the same role for them.

I am on Facebook more often now - mostly because I can access it from my phone - and I love to keep up with most of you there.

I do hope to find time to return to this group in a very active way - I have missed you all!!

That said, I have always and will continue to recommend Hal's programs to everyone I know who needs one. I've met Hal twice and will always consider him a running mentor. I want to see him succeed. But I probably won't show that support by returning to the V-boards. I have all I need here Smile
Erin
Erin

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:54 pm

I never paid for any of Hal's training programs, but I bought his marathon book, his Run Fast book, and his novel. I also pre-ordered his newest edition of the marathon book so that I can pass on the the old one to my daughter.

He has a business to run and he always found a way to remind us of that by plugging for his programs or books. I'm sure he will continue to do well in that regard. He answered some of my questions but sometimes, honestly, made me feel foolish. The entire community of the V-team, including Hal, is what helped me, inspired me, and kept me hanging around!

In terms of where this site goes in the future? I think it's on the right track!! Wink

Oh, and both Martin and Tim expressed themselves superbly--thanks!
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:28 pm

Looks like I am going to have to eat my words...I am going to have to go back to the other site, because people are still posting fantasy league results there.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:58 pm

Schuey wrote:Sure one can say “Well Schuey you were getting it for free?” Yeah well just because I’m not paying for it doesn’t mean It’s free. Plus who’s to say that I’m not helping TP or Hal to make money? The way I look at it is that myself and everyone else on that site was free advertising for TP and more so Hal. How many times did you pass the word on to others about go to the V-Team Forum what a great place for running information or how many times did you tell people to use a Hal Higdon training program they are great for all different levels of runners? Ok so maybe everyone didn’t do that so you were getting the site truly for free but for me and many others we promoted TP/Hal and help put money in their pocket.

You make a good point and that's what I like about this site, in particular. We aren't being used to promote anyone or any product. It's just a great community of high quality people that have come together and that's nice. After all that has happened and the light being shone on different aspects of TP, it makes me realize how nice this place is. I wouldn't want to be part of a community that would do otherwise.

Thanks again MattM, and DaveO for making this a place where trust, honesty and friendships happen.
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ChasMcG Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:22 pm

Some of us left because of TP, some of us left because of drama from other people, and some of us left because of Hal. There is a reality there whether we like it or not. Honestly, I never liked Hal. The moment I met him, I felt that way and I was very honest about it those 3 years online. I respected him as an athlete but I didn't feel he cared about any of us or what we did. Lisa gave him a bottle of wine. Her excitement of meeting him was like a child's. I saw that in everyone's eyes that year in Chicago 2007. Hal didn't even say thank you to Lisa. That was my moment. I found him more annoyed than anything when we gave our opinions about training/health/races. I saw him shoot a lot of you guys down including Dave who I believe contributed a lot of valuable information. Y'all can't deny that. He never even stepped foot into our personal blogs unless of course there was a complaint made and unless it was Chicago race reports, I don't think I ever saw him post in reports. He's a business man and that's okay. I'm one with that as everyone should be. I was politely asked not to bash him and I'm not trying to. I'll respect those wishes. But Hal is a business man... not our buddy. He provided useful information and made a few funny comments but it was us that made a community, that welcomed people with open arms. Besides my husband, you all welcomed me. (He finally chose to be nice to me and we fell in love but at first...he was mean. tongue )

It really just comes down to, we were all looking for something, no matter what it was, and hopefully most of us can get something out of this site just like we did at over there or on any other site. Whether it's a new beginning, support, or just to see our friends, we have a few places to call home.

I would like to touch on Bobby's post and the new users and how to attract them. I'm not sure why we need to attract people. We aren't selling anything, making money off advertisements (I think), and we can't provide professional advice. This is a community of runners/triathletes that get together as support, that's it. We can give our opinions from personal experience but we are not doctors or trainers. But that's what is so great about this site, different opinions from different people. You can't get that from a book. New people will come simply because Matt said he had dinner with the Vteam/iTeam at a race in Duluth. That's how Taper Madness should have been. I think people were turned off by a lot of things Hal tried to avoid. Religion, politics, personal attacking, and too much vulgarity. I think we can all agree wanting a little more freedom to talk about other topics or even have a little fun without being red carded but we are human and we still need to be monitored....a little anyways. I know I can get out of control but I learned the art of innuendo and winky face Wink I want to say Fuck Yeah not Fuck you.

Did you guys miss me? hahahah
ChasMcG
ChasMcG
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:27 pm

ChasMcG wrote:Did you guys miss me? hahahah

God, yes! Wink I love you I love you I love you

Btw, nice post Smile
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:02 am

Mrs. Schuey wrote:
ChasMcG wrote:Did you guys miss me? hahahah

God, yes! Wink I love you I love you I love you

Btw, nice post Smile

And THAT Friday thread. Basketball

I always thought Tim left because I faked my birthday. lol!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:30 am

ChasMcG wrote:
I would like to touch on Bobby's post and the new users and how to attract them. I'm not sure why we need to attract people. We aren't selling anything, making money off advertisements (I think), and we can't provide professional advice. This is a community of runners/triathletes that get together as support, that's it. We can give our opinions from personal experience but we are not doctors or trainers. But that's what is so great about this site, different opinions from different people.

Much of what you say is true, Chas. We have learned so much from each other, running and personal. But, as time goes by...and I'm speaking with TM in mind because we had this same conversation years ago...things change. When we started that site, some wanted to invite outsiders, others were happy with who we had. We did make some small attempts at attracting newbies, but we only had a few stick around. As time went on, people moved on, people stopped running, people stopped asking running questions, the same jokes started to get stale, people got pissed off and moved on, whatever. Part of what has kept Hal's boards great for so long, wasn't always just because Hal moderated them, but because of the new people that came along. New personalities, new stories, new advice. It stays fresh.

Don't get me wrong, I still have great friends over at TM and here. We just had a great weekend at Bayshore with our family and two other V-Teamers/Tapers families. All the kids got along great and we couldn't ask for a better time. A group of us, local and out of towners, just did a White Sox game last weekend. Like you, I've been to weddings, funerals, swim parties, races, birthday parties, gotten drunk, watched others get drunk, shared hotel rooms, shared my home, and even had one stand in my mothers hospital room after she had a stroke to give us very sound advice on the steps we needed to take next. (Thankfully, he was a doctor. Or so he says he is.) Laughing These boards have provided me with many friends, just as they have for you all. I know there are great friendships between many of you, and you've all had many of the same experiences I've had. And I think that's great. I don't think you'll ever lose that with these people.

But, most of our communication these days with these same people are off line. Texts, emails, calls, whatever. And Facebook. I'm not saying that will happen here, but if I were a betting man, I'd say the same will. It might take years, but without inviting "newbies", there is only so many posts, running or otherwise, that can keep this place hopping. Many of you have been with TP's for at least the last 5 years. Think of all the people posting on here today that wouldn't be here today if that same group of you "tick tock the game is locked" 2 years ago. I couldn't name them all, but I'm sure there are some.

It's tough to do though. As Dave said, you don't want to turn this place into letsrun. People knock Hal, but even though we complained about his editing and red cards often, we really know it was because he, and us, really didn't want it to be a free for all site. Hooking up with Kenny's venture might be a good way to do it. I don't know a lot about marketing and business (so take the following with a grain of salt), but I think we'd be quicker to fall into a letsrun group by being #1 on google, attracting any high school or head case runner looking for somewhere to spout off on a message board. Passing out literature at a marathon might attract more of the type of people that would fit in better around here. [/end of my advice]

Anyhow, just thought I'd add another couple cents. I'm not trying to portray myself as knowing anything about running a website, but just expressing some opinions and things I've seen happen.

Climbing back into my hole now. Good night. Wink
Bob
Bob
Lord Bobby
Lord Bobby

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:23 am

Bob wrote:

Please don't. Your posts have been incredibly informative and helpful.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:25 am

Dave-O wrote:
Bob wrote:

Please don't. Your posts have been incredibly informative and helpful.

+1

I appreciate your insights, Bob. Thank you.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  GregC Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:08 am

Bob wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I still have great friends over at
TM and here. We just had a great weekend at Bayshore with our family
and two other V-Teamers/Tapers families. All the kids got along great
and we couldn't ask for a better time.

Cool. You'll have to give me their names so I can go with them next year. The guys I went with this year were a couple of pricks.

Bob wrote:the same jokes started to get stale

Come on. Bob jokes never get old.
GregC
GregC
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ChasMcG Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:08 am

You know Bobby, I never thought about it that way. I'm sure my lame jokes will be boring in a few months. I totally see what you're saying. I'm hoping for the best like you. Can I hang in your hole? Hahaha

Do you think advertising cliphunters will be beneficial? Wink

ChasMcG
ChasMcG
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:50 pm

ChasMcG wrote:You know Bobby, I never thought about it that way. I'm sure my lame jokes will be boring in a few months. I totally see what you're saying. I'm hoping for the best like you. Can I hang in your hole? Hahaha

See, now this is the kind of inappropriate that gets you in trouble Chas! lol!
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:51 pm

mul21 wrote:
ChasMcG wrote:You know Bobby, I never thought about it that way. I'm sure my lame jokes will be boring in a few months. I totally see what you're saying. I'm hoping for the best like you. Can I hang in your hole? Hahaha

See, now this is the kind of inappropriate that gets you in trouble Chas! lol!

How did I miss that???
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula Sue Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:01 pm

I don't care where you all congregate...thank you for pulling me along with you. I really appreciate it...it's SO LONELY WHEN YOU'RE GONE affraid affraid affraid
Paula Sue
Paula Sue
Poster
Poster

http://oceanbreeze-lake-erie.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula Sue Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:04 pm

ChasMcG wrote:Do you think advertising cliphunters will be beneficial? Wink

See how educational being with you all is? I just had to Google 'cliphunters' Embarassed Chas...you are so damn funny, girl!
Paula Sue
Paula Sue
Poster
Poster

http://oceanbreeze-lake-erie.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:49 pm

GregC wrote:
Bob wrote:

Cool. You'll have to give me their names so I can go with them next year. The guys I went with this year were a couple of pricks.

Does anyone around here know how to do the "Bob"? We can teach them Very Happy
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:58 pm

GregC wrote:
Bob wrote:

Do I want to know what a "Bob" is when it follows the post about cliphunters? - which I had to Google, btw. I thought it had to do something with clipping coupons or something. Dear Lord, I have to wash my eyes now. lol!
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:00 pm

Laughing

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:11 pm

Mr MattM wrote:

Laughing

Please let us know what the "Bob" is...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim M Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:11 pm

Mr MattM wrote:

Laughing

Who's still posting over there? - Page 3 Bobpos10
Tim M
Tim M
Poster
Poster

http://runhappyrunmore.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next