365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NY, NY - Redux 2012

+18
ounce
mul21
Michael Enright
Mark B
T Miller
wheakory
KathyK
Julie
Alex Kubacki
Schuey
Kenny B.
Jerry
Dave P
Mike MacLellan
Joel H
JohnP
EugeneGreenie
Michele "1L" Keane
22 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

NY, NY - Redux 2012 - Page 3 Empty Re: NY, NY - Redux 2012

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:28 am

6 miles - no achilles pain. 1st mile 10 min; last mile 8:30 - woohoo. I might actually be back.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:40 am

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:6 miles - no achilles pain. 1st mile 10 min; last mile 8:30 - woohoo. I might actually be back.

Let's hope so! Always a great feeling to get past something like that...
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:50 pm

Niiiice. Crossing fingers!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  EugeneGreenie Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:02 pm

Hey Michele,

So sorry to hear that you have to spend so much time alone. Been there, done that...last year when DH spent most of the summer and fall at his mom's during her last days. It makes being at home tough...I watched lots of silly shows on Netflix.

Hang in there with the running. It sounds as if you are being smart and not pushing it too hard, and your daughter is a peach for visiting her grandma. That is a sweet thing to do, and yes, very wise.

E Greenie
EugeneGreenie
EugeneGreenie
Poster
Poster

http://traniningup.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:32 pm

Well, this week was finally a week where I began to feel like a runner again. I still did one run on the Alter G, but all of the remaining miles were done on the roads and as I run more miles, the endurance feels like it is coming back. I know that NYC won't be what I ran last year, but I believe I still certainly have a shot at finishing. The good news is that I am running with the Cleveland group again, and since many of them are doing Marine Corps, I will get in at least 1, maybe 2 longer runs with them (especially since taper for them occurs when I am in Boston at Parents Weekend)as long as I hold up. I did elect the "no baggage" option for NY as I still might bail when I hit 1st Ave and head straight from there to my hotel in Times Square which would basically be a solid 20 miler. We will see as things progress. I just have to remember to be smart over the next few weeks.

Mon - 4.5 miles on the roads
Tues - 6 miles on the AlterG
Wed - Swim
Thurs - 3.5 miles AM/3.1 miles PM
Fri - Core work class - hard
Sat - 2 miles running; 4 mile fast walk with hubby
Sun - 6 miles on the roads - 10 min 1st mile, 8:35 last mile

Total for the week: 25.1 miles (29.1 if you count the "power" walk)

My daughter seems to be enjoying school which is good and the dog and I are hanging in there. Hubby left for San Diego this morning for a week of planning meetings. I thought about going, but not with the hot temps out there when the weather will be absolutely beautiful here all week.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:54 pm

Happy to hear things are turning around. And NYC is still a ways away so there's a good chance you'll get enough back to have a good solid race.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:57 am

I'm really glad to hear that things are coming around for you. Just remember to not be too aggressive with your buildup. The bike can be very beneficial addition to your training right now.
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:12 am

Thanks John and Tim.

Tim - I'll keep biking but it is tough around here. I have to ride a few (5) miles on traffic-y streets before I hit a bike path either way and I've been a bit busy with work. However, today might be the day to get in 15 miles or so later in the day.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:34 pm

I just want to know when 7 miles became so hard. I ran the same loop today that I ran back in June - 1 min slower per mile and it sucked. This getting back in running shape seemed a lot easier when I was a lot younger - like even 4 yrs ago (when I had my last major layoff). Now I know why beginner's give up so easily - ouch, ouch, ouch.

I did have a fun dinner though. Started off as salmon with wilted garlic spinach and cherry tomatoes, but it looked rather boring, so I cut up the cooked salmon, tossed it in the spinach and tomato mix, added an egg and some shredded Romano cheese. Not pretty, but pretty yummy! Maybe the spinach will have a "Popeye" affect and I'll feel recovered later.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:53 pm

The salmon with the spinach/tomatoes sounds reaaaaaally good. Haven't had an egg or cheese with fish before, so I can't comment there.

Don't feel too discouraged about your run - not sure if you remember when I was coming back in January and a 9:00 pace was really tough. I did 5mi in 45min and that was an accomplishment. And I was only 24 at the time.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:40 pm

Thanks, Mike. You made me feel much better. I decided to take today off even though I do feel much better. I was naughty though and had a Five Guys Little Hamburger for lunch with tomato and lettuce. No fries, so not too, too bad, and well once in a while, I need a little treat and it is only 480 calories with tooooo much fat, but whatever.

I'm in the market for a new treadmill as mine is almost 18 yrs old. It seems to work fine, but I keep thinking it will die anytime now. It is really not very high tech, but I know that the newer ones have a lot more bells and whistles as well as the ability to download actual courses, etc., etc. I'd like to get one that has incline and decline along with the Google maps feature, but I'm really torn. I went to Consumer Reports and the Precor 9.31 and the Proform Pro 2000 and Nordic Track Commercial 2150 received the highest ratings. The Precor is the priciest at $3300 with the other two about half the price and it doesn't have the Google or iFit functionality - so I am confused as to why I should buy a Precor and why it is rated so highly. I ran on the Precor (there is a Fitness Equipment store near by that sells them) and it is a lot quieter and smoother than what I own, but I would expect that since it is 2012 and not 1995, but I just don't know if it is worth it. Decisions, decisions....... Unfortunately, it looks like you have to purchase the Proform unit on line, but there is a Nordic Track store on the other side of town, so I might call them to see what they have and take a ride over there tomorrow.

Funny thing is, that I am so used to my treadmill and swear that it is calibrated to me, that I hate running on the treadmill at the gym where I belong. It never feels right and often I find that if I set the same mph on the mill at the club, it is either too fast or too slow depending. I guess maybe because they get so much use, but I wonder if it is just me.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:08 pm

It's not you. I was so dialed in during one of my training cycles that I was informing the gym when their mills were off. I could tell by a combination of effort and HR and several times they were off and I saw a repair guy in fixing them the next time I was in there.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:47 pm

Eighteen years is a great lifespan for a treadmill. You may even have a few more years left in it.

If you have a Costco where you live, you might want to check there. We got a NordicTrack C1500 at our local Costco a few years ago, and it's been a solid performer for us. No bells and whistles that we use, but you can program in speeds, hills, etc.

If you are looking, make sure to look at 'mills that can angle down as well as up. Comes in handy for Boston, I've heard.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:45 pm

Don't think I'm going to chance a few more years after running on some of the new ones. Actually ran 10 miles today - very slowly. The Achilles didn't hurt but I wore my new compression running socks and I do think they help. Lots of other muscles hurt though and I know that will improve with days and miles. I have not run double digits since July and although it was at 10 min pace, it felt good to finish the mileage. I guess this means I'll run my slowest half marathon (timed for the record) next week in Akron, but I'm still going to run it. It is all relative I know and you have to start back somewhere. Hey, I might surprise myself and get closer to 2 hrs than I think, but I'm going to run at least 10 miles (if I can) with two guys from the local group who are aiming for a 4:20 marathonn- so 10 min pace.

Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  EugeneGreenie Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:23 pm

sounds like a plan! I love plans:)

E Greenie
EugeneGreenie
EugeneGreenie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:19 pm

so do you feel you're healing slower than you should or recovering at a normal rate?

You're adaptable, Michele. Your nest will be fine and will fill in.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:43 am

Doug - to answer your question, I think my achilles is healing at the normal rate as it is a tough area that gets no real good blood flow to assist with the healing.

It has been weird week so far and I've only run 7 miles so far. The weather was miserable yesterday and since I sold my old treadmill and my new one isn't yet here, I never did get out there to run. I did participate in the weight/core class that we have here on W and F mornings and it is pretty tough, so I felt like I did something. I plan to run 6 with the local group tonight. I know that I have to take it easy in order to prevent getting injured again, so it probably is best.

I ended up buying a NordicTrack treadmill that has the Google maps feature, incline and decline, and iFit (so you can have Jillian Michaels yell at you). I did a lot of research and I ran on the Precor (highest rated and most expensive), a Landis, and the NordicTrack (which is the same as the Proform - in fact this mill is basically the same as the one they had at the Boston Expo last year). I can't figure out why the Precor is so damn expensive since it has the least bells and whistles. It apparently has the best ride, but all of them were so much better than my old one, that it didn't matter. Like Jim suggested, I found this one at my local Costco and I elected to have them deliver and install. What is cool about that is that someone from Icon Fitness (the manufacturer) actually comes to do that, not someone from Costco. Nice selling feature. The downside is that I have to wait a week.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:16 pm

Sorry about the low miles, but congrats on your new treadmill!

I wish they'd had the installation option when we got ours at Costco. We actually had to hire professional movers to get the thing upstairs. It weighed a ton. The guys from the movers were the size of college linebackers, and even they had trouble with it.

Good luck handling the anticipation until yours arrives. bounce bounce bounce
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:29 pm

Mark B wrote:Sorry about the low miles, but congrats on your new treadmill!

I wish they'd had the installation option when we got ours at Costco. We actually had to hire professional movers to get the thing upstairs. It weighed a ton. The guys from the movers were the size of college linebackers, and even they had trouble with it.

Good luck handling the anticipation until yours arrives. bounce bounce bounce

And sorry Mark, as I gave Jim credit for the Costco lead.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:48 am

Michele Keane #13930
Bay Village, OH

Distance HALF MAR
Chip Time 1:55:53
Overall Place 1116 / 3877
Gender Place 307 / 2030
Division Place 15 / 131
Divtotal 131
Sextotal 2030
Pace 8:51

Very unexpected results from this morning's Akron Half. Weather was perfect - 49F at the start and no warmer at the finish. My fitness ran out at mile 11.5 and I started cramping - right hamstring and glute which have always been my weak point - so my last 1.6 miles were pretty painful, but I never expected to run as strong as I did until then - especially with really only 3 wks of runs and one 10 miler. I have a long way to go to run a marathon though. Good news is that my achilles didn't hurt at all.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  EugeneGreenie Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:11 am

That is fantastic! A good showing.

Congrats, and I think you will be back to fitness very soon!

E Greenie
EugeneGreenie
EugeneGreenie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:57 pm

So I went to my ART doc today for a quick session and to run on the Alter G for recovery. He was part of the winning and record breaking marathon relay on Saturday and ran like 18 min for 3.9 miles. The combined relay team ran 2:11 and change for the full and the course is somewhat hilly (yes, Ohio has hills on the east and south sides of the river). He was funny as he said he was totally impressed with my time on Saturday especially since my first Alter G run was on 8/30 and I made it only 3.6 miles before i had to stop due to Achilles pain. I was sad for his wife initially as she placed 4th overall in the half, but it turned out that she was really 3rd as some guy ran with a woman's number and placed 2nd. I've been 4th twice (back in the 1990 and 1991) Atlanta Half Marathons and just out of the money, but she ended up with a $500 check which is awesome since she is really a track runner and worked very hard for the half.

I ran 7 on the Alter G today and felt great. Even though I felt like a truck ran over me after the half, I recovered way better than I expected and felt good today. I'm even running on the Alter G at 85% of my body weight now, so I was able to run a faster pace even though it was recovery. Tomorrow my new treadmill arrives, so I hope to be able to test it out with an easy 4 miles.

I still figure NY will be a true long run. The decision will be whether or not to drop at the entrance to the park which is roughly 23 miles. I've run 23 milers in training before, but it will be dependent upon what happens in the next 4+ weeks (it was 5 wks yesterday to 11/4). That is still a lot of time to build up mileage slowly for Tucson with NYC as a training stop along the way. It will be tough not to get too carried away, but I have a couple of slightly slower friends running, so it may just be that I run with them and have a good time. I'm thinking 9:30-9:40 pace or 4:15-4:20 overall.

Taking it one day at a time.............
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:07 pm

At least you won't have to be concerned with a time goal.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:12 pm

Progress once again as I actually completed 35+ miles this past week including a 15 miler on Saturday that felt pretty good. It was not the pace I'd love to run it in, but it was consistent and I actually ran a negative split which is very positive. I was far more tired than I should be after 15 miles, but hey, it was 15 miles. The weather was perfect and I ran with the group in the Metroparks (which is less flat that I remember which is good) and the leaves were gorgeous as fall has arrived. Skipped running yesterday and was quite surprised that this morning's 5 miles were not so bad (actually averaged around 8:55 pace which is a first!). Going to try to go 17-18 this weekend - we will see.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:51 am

Well, I can tell you all this - I am not yet ready for speedwork. I tried, it hurt, I backed off and just ran 6 miles comfortably. Maybe in another couple of weeks.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next