365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NY, NY - Redux 2012

+18
ounce
mul21
Michael Enright
Mark B
T Miller
wheakory
KathyK
Julie
Alex Kubacki
Schuey
Kenny B.
Jerry
Dave P
Mike MacLellan
Joel H
JohnP
EugeneGreenie
Michele "1L" Keane
22 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

NY, NY - Redux 2012 Empty NY, NY - Redux 2012

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:26 pm

Ok, since Mike requested, I'm starting a new blog as training for NY begins this week. Not sure where I am really at as I feel a bit behind last year with all my recent moving around (both literally and figuratively) and the fact that I have now lost my weekly running group as they live in Atlanta, not Cleveland. At least during the rest of the summer, I'm still here in western NY state, and although the weather has been pretty hellacious for this part of the world - I know that I'm far better off than many of you (although this morning, you could have fooled me!).

Training began in earnest today with the Presque Isle Half Marathon in Erie, PA. This is a flat course on a peninsula that juts out into Lake Erie, and it is known for being not only a well run race, but always a hot and humid one as well. This morning was no different in the hot and humid department as thunder storms rolled across the lake and through finishing about 20 min before the race was to start (the start had been pushed back to 6:45 am due to the weather in the last few years, but we didn't begin until 7 am because of this weather). It was then 73-75F and 99% humidity for most of the run with thunder in the distance and torrential race for the last 2 miles. I actually managed to run 1:48 and change which was good enough for 2nd place in my AG and only a minute off my course PR (set in 2011). I have always wondered how fast I could run on this course if the weather was right. The woman who won my AG also on the Masters overall with a 1:40 - so a bit slow for her given the conditions. I felt ok most of the race, but I seemed to be running at a higher effort than I wanted for the given result. I'm curious to see how many runners actually raced this morning given the conditions as it sure looked like it was the same larger group as it has been over the last 3-4 yrs.

My goal for NY is to beat last years time and to simply run a smarter race than last year. Last year, I had a sub 3:45 in mind and in my grasp, but I got carried away on 1st Ave and paid for it in the park. I'm hoping with my new amount of free time (daughter off to college and no more volunteering as I'm a newbie again in Cleveland), that I can keep the motivation as I'll be training a lot on my own (at least during the week). I know lots of you are solo runners, and I am for the most part, but I do like the social aspects too. I plan to re-join the Rec Center that I belonged to when I was in Cleveland before (2003-2005) as it has a great gym with lots of equipment, 3 pools, and an indoor track. There is also a 3.1 mile outdoor running path. The tough part is that the west side of Cleveland is incredibly flat so you need to drive to hills, and although the metro park has hills, I really need to be careful in venturing down there alone on foot. I think I should be able to cycle down there though as you are moving much faster.

So NYC, here I come again.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

NY, NY - Redux 2012 Empty Re: NY, NY - Redux 2012

Post  EugeneGreenie Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:28 pm

Michele,

I will be watching your training closely! Great job on your AG2 as well...a good way to start your cycle. You may have been working a little to hard as you put it, but for me it just shows what you can handle.

EugeneGreenie<--run, breakfast, coffee, nap...this day is off to a good start.
EugeneGreenie
EugeneGreenie
Poster
Poster

http://traniningup.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:10 pm

Good luck with the training Michele. Somehow I suspect you will find another training group once you settle in Cleveland, I don't see you as someone who runs by themselves for too long. Nice job on the race today!
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:41 pm

Congrats on the 1/2 and the AG award and good luck in NY. You are such a smart runner I know you will do great in NY.
Joel H
Joel H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:21 pm

Digging the shout out. As I said on your post in Your Week in Training, that's a hell of a race. With a time like that, I don't think 3:45 is out of reach for NY this year, no matter how "behind" you think you are. Enjoy the emptier nest and the new running routine!
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:42 am

Just under 16 weeks to NYC Michele! I'm pumped!
Dave P
Dave P
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:51 pm

So my first week "training" for NY, and I have not run a step. After the race on Sunday, my left calf/achilles was very stiff and sore. I think that my racing flats might have been a bit too worn down for the 13.1 miles and combined with the slight camber of the road, that left lower leg is a bit miffed at me. I took Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday off completely except for some weight work in the gym. I got a massage and have been now doing a bit of stretching and strengthening and it feels better, but I can tell it still needs a bit of time. I biked 21 miles yesterday morning and I did an hour on the elliptical followed by weights and core work today. The calf/achilles doesn't bother me at all on the bike or the elliptical, so I perceive that as a good sign. I'm trying to be overly cautious especially since it is so hilly around here, so I'm just taking it day by day. I know that I'll lose some fitness, but I do have still have 15+ weeks until NY. This means that I will most likely not run the other races that I had planned for August (one is the local 2.7 miler that is real hilly, and one is a half on a beautiful bike path in PA). If by the time the 19th rolls around I can handle 13 miles, I might drive to the PA course and just train through it rather than race since it is such a beautiful course. I have planned to kayak and do the elliptical tomorrow and ride on Sunday, so I'll wait to test the leg until Monday.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:56 pm

Its ok to be a little lazy from time to time, Michele. Very Happy
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:43 pm

Sorry to hear about the calf/achilles but it looks like you are playing it smart and giving it some rest while still maintaining fitness. You have plenty of time for NY.
Joel H
Joel H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:01 am

Jerry wrote:Its ok to be a little lazy from time to time, Michele. Very Happy

Thank you Jerry - from the "master" that means a lot Wink
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:30 am

My achilles has gotten stiff twice since 2009 and I get ART done on it and it works each time. Maybe you can try this.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:41 am

Well hope you had a better week this week buddy!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:49 am

I'll remind you of what you told me during Boston training - you have a very well-developed engine. You'll be able to pick up the slack without any problems. Smile
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:13 pm

Kenny B. wrote:My achilles has gotten stiff twice since 2009 and I get ART done on it and it works each time. Maybe you can try this.

I'd love to Kenny, but the closest ART practitioner that I know is in Cleveland. (An elite runner from the ATC and his wife moved to Ohio back in 2011 and I really had no idea that he was only 45 min from me in Cleveland). I'll consider it if I can't get it worked out myself. I have a very stiff roller here, a massage therapist, and access to a home ultrasound. I also can perform my own Graston Wendy-style. After cycling this morning, it was the most stretched out and painless it has been all week, so I am making progress.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:53 am

Michele, I have to use about 3 heel cups to get by with my Achilles along with the rolling and stretching. When I try to use just one cup it becomes a big problem. It really adds to the heel/toe drop but for me it's what I have to do.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:08 pm

Still on the IR list. Achilles are tough to deal with as it seems like I take two steps forward and one step back on a daily basis. I have been going to PT 2x per week and it is improving with the Ultrasound and Electric stim, but it is still inflamed so the PT is going to do some iontopheresis on Tuesday. I might need 2-4 treatments to insure that the inflammation really goes down. So no running and NY is 13 wks away.

I have however been cycling like a crazy woman and I actually rode 178 miles this past week. I'm not super fast as I average around 15 mph, but it is very hilly around here so many of these rides have hills where you ride at 9 mph up and 30 mph down! I am getting to actually like the cycling more, and it doesn't bother my leg at all which is good news. The PT thinks I'll be off another wk or two from the roads at which point I'll be headed back to Cleveland. Good news there is that the ART guy as an Alter-g treadmill.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:57 pm

I hope you heal up quickly! Glad you have biking to keep you active while you're still recovering.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:00 pm

I don't recall you being this injured before, it must be bad. That's a lot of bike miles too so that should help stay in shape somewhat. This has to be cutting into your training program though.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:30 pm

What's the latest word on your injury, Michele?
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:56 pm

Thanks for asking Kathy. Still nursing the achilles, but I did run 8 miles last week. I also biked 106, so I'm still in that mode. the achilles is indeed feeling much better and I believe that I have turned the corner, but I'm taking it a day at a time.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:19 pm

Still on the mend although I do believe that I am finally turning the corner. I have been pretty lazy since Sunday (41 miles biking) as I'm back in Ohio and it was raining yesterday. I did get to see Dr. Leo today and he did some ART, some Graston (lots of scar tissue in and around the ankle like I suspected), some ultrasound and cold laser. No running today or tomorrow per him and then I get to run on the Alter-G treadmill on Thursday. He says I can easily run for an hour, so we will see. I'm a bit busy with work, but I hope to be able to ride or swim later today.

Recap of last week:

Mon - Day off
Tues - 3.1 miles running, core work and weights
Wed - 42 miles cycling
Thurs - 22 miles cycling, weights and core, PT
Fri - 4 miles running, achilles very sore after
Sat - 14 miles cycling - back to taking hubby on the roads again
Sun - 41 miles cycling

Totals for the week: 7.1 miles running; 117 miles cycling
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:29 pm

Wow, you certainly are logging the cycling miles! Glad to see things are trending in the right direction with your Achilles!
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:36 pm

I ran today - well actually I ran twice today. The first run was 35 min on the AlterG treadmill and the second was outside for 20 min. Here is a picture of me in my AlterG tutu!
NY, NY - Redux 2012 2012-010

And to make me feel like Ohio isn't so bad, here is my new back yard (or a view of downtown Cleveland from my back yard which is indeed Lake Erie):

NY, NY - Redux 2012 2012-011
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:18 pm

That's a nice back yard view, it must be awesome to live on the lake.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:22 pm

JohnP wrote:That's a nice back yard view, it must be awesome to live on the lake.

It certainly makes life in Cleveland a lot better! I can pretend it smells like salt especially with all the gulls around. It is awesome to watch the boats both big and small while eating breakfast. A real cool galleon like ship went by late yesterday, but alas, my cell phone camera could not really capture it. To put it is perspective, I am roughly 15 ft from the cliff that is in that picture - just enough to back my car out of the drive.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next