365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looking for suggestions for a running plan

+4
EugeneGreenie
Julie
Mike MacLellan
Tim C
8 posters

Go down

Looking for suggestions for a running plan Empty Looking for suggestions for a running plan

Post  Tim C Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:06 pm

Hi All,

OK, brief background. 55 yo male, smoked for 30 years, quit 6 years ago and put on weight because you couldn’t hide ice cream from me. Very Happy Started running and had no idea I would like it. Lost the weight and am in better shape than I was 20 years ago. I’ve run several halfs, twice running 1:47:xx. Ran 1 full in 4:20 and wound up in the medical tent with severe dehydration. Started 2 more fulls and dropped out of both with cramping around mile 20. All 3 marathons have been WAY less than ideal weather conditions, but it is what it is. I feel good now and really want to run another full. Why? Just because….

I pretty much used HH novice 2 before. The McMillan calculator, using either my half times or a recent 5 mile time (39:00) would indicate a sub 3:50 marathon is in the cards. My feeling is I have the speed to break 4 hours (not like I’m fast) but not the endurance. So, this year, I’ve really upped my mileage and have been running 30-36 miles a week all year, with a high of 41. (Before, I was averaging 20-25 miles a week).

I’m targeting running the Long Beach marathon, which is October 7th. I have 3 goals for the race: (1) anything under 4 hours, (2) PR or (3) finish feeling ok rather than getting an IV and chugging Gatorade. I’m considering using HH intermediate plan. I really feel like I just need more miles, although I try to do at least one up-tempo run a week.

So I’m looking for any suggestions. I sense that running 35-45 miles a week, even if slowly, would give me the most bang for the buck. I’ve gone from running 4x a week to 5 and have been feeling good. Each 6-10 miler feels easier than before. I do have to be careful to not overdue it as I have a knee that talks back to me if I ask too much of it.

Even though it’s only 14 weeks out, I feel like my base may be sufficient. I’m pretty much running 6 miles each on Tues, Wed and Thurs and 10-12 on Sat and another 8 on Sundays.

So, I guess my question is, do I just up my weekend long runs per HH intermediate plan, or try something different? Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks for reading….
Tim C
Tim C
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Looking for suggestions for a running plan Empty Re: Looking for suggestions for a running plan

Post  Mike MacLellan Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:21 pm

I would focus on endurance, i.e. mileage. 35-45 is a good start, but if you can peak around 55, you'll be in a lot better shape on race day.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Looking for suggestions for a running plan Empty Re: Looking for suggestions for a running plan

Post  Julie Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:25 pm

I really like Pfitzinger's 18 week 55 mile (peaks at 55 mile) plan. If you don't have a copy I can email you just the basic plan, let me know.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  EugeneGreenie Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:42 am

Tim C,

+1 on the Pfitz plan. A good mix of speed and endurance. and you can always take an extra rest day or dial down the pace if needed.

Best to you. I will be watching your progress....I have an October marathon as well.

E Greenie<--says good luck and good speed to all you running July 4th fun runs!
EugeneGreenie
EugeneGreenie
Poster
Poster

http://traniningup.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  KBFitz Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:01 pm

Hey Tim,

If I were in your shoes (and I was, figuratively, six or so years ago) I would stick with the routine I'm used to but up the miles to build endurance. Why don't you simply step up to a HH Intermediate plan? Stress the mid-week sorta long and weekend long runs. I think stepping up to intermediate would be most likely to put you in shape to meet your goals/
KBFitz
KBFitz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff F Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:15 pm

KBFitz wrote:Hey Tim,

If I were in your shoes (and I was, figuratively, six or so years ago) I would stick with the routine I'm used to but up the miles to build endurance. Why don't you simply step up to a HH Intermediate plan? Stress the mid-week sorta long and weekend long runs. I think stepping up to intermediate would be most likely to put you in shape to meet your goals/

+1 this is exactly what I did and improved from my first marathon at 4:28 to 3:43 for my fifth with almost no speed work. I already had the speed but just needed to improve my endurance.
Jeff F
Jeff F
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:59 pm

If he is running 36 miles a week, bumping him up to 55 miles a week is a recipe for disaster. That's too much increase. How about Brad Hudson's book, I used it well and there are varying levels of plans in there. Pete McMillian also has excellent plans though more expensive than a book.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:01 am

The 55 mile plan week doesn't get to 55 miles until peak, and the first few weeks are in the 30's. I think whatever you do, just listen to your body really carefully and if you start to feel injured back off. If you're adding miles and speed at the same time, be really careful. That's how I got injured last summer.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:14 am

36 to 55 isn't that bad of a jump, especially if the latter is a peak, like Julie said. I don't know that I'd follow a plan that included any kind of speed or tempo work for that, though. At least not while you're increasing the mileage.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim C Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:53 am

Any kind of speed work gets me in trouble. I really think I'll just do what I'm doing, running 5 days a week, and up my miles.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Tim C
Tim C
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  ssilvert Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:22 pm

I hate to say this Tim, but if I were you I would forget about this marathon. Build your mileage slowly, and shoot for another marathon in the fall. Everyone is telling you to increase mileage and they are right. Some people do OK in the marathon on low mileage, but it looks like you are not one of them.

The reason for your cramps is that you are undertrained. Slowly build to where you are running 50-60 miles every week and you will have a much more enjoyable marathon.

I wouldn't do any speedwork until you've proven that you can handle higher mileage and complete a marathon in good condition.

Stan
ssilvert
ssilvert
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down