365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tarmoh quits

+10
Jerry
Martin VW
Alex Kubacki
Diego
Admin
Michele "1L" Keane
Ben Z
Nick Morris
Dave-O
healdgator
14 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Tarmoh quits - Page 3 Empty Re: Tarmoh quits

Post  Jeff F Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:11 pm

Martin VW wrote:
Ben Z wrote:Given her attitude and how she is letting her emotions take over I am happy she is giving up her spot to Felix. I believe Felix gives us a better chance at a medal given her composure.

I saw her on the news last night, she seems very much at peace with her decision. She said that her heart just wasn't in it [a runoff]. Given that, if you aren't ready to put it all out there, then perhaps she was better off not running than losing by 10 meters.

I didn't see a woman that was complaining or bitter. She was smiling and seemingly very happy this ordeal is behind her.

I agree with MVM, she did seem at peace with her decision. I also had a sense from her responses that she was not very confident she could have beaten Felix.
Jeff F
Jeff F
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:14 pm

Jeff F wrote:
Martin VW wrote:
Ben Z wrote:Given her attitude and how she is letting her emotions take over I am happy she is giving up her spot to Felix. I believe Felix gives us a better chance at a medal given her composure.

I saw her on the news last night, she seems very much at peace with her decision. She said that her heart just wasn't in it [a runoff]. Given that, if you aren't ready to put it all out there, then perhaps she was better off not running than losing by 10 meters.

I didn't see a woman that was complaining or bitter. She was smiling and seemingly very happy this ordeal is behind her.

I agree with MVM, she did seem at peace with her decision. I also had a sense from her responses that she was not very confident she could have beaten Felix.

In other words, she is quick to give up.
Glad she is not on a soccer team, 0:1, the ref made a wrong call, I am not playing. lol!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:12 pm

Martin VW wrote:The real travesty in all of this is that the USATF didn't have anything in place to handle this sort of situation. Guess they were too busy banning and then unbanning headphones, so that who gets to run in the Olympics got lost in the shuffle.

A coin toss is abolutely not "fair." It requires one participant be given the right to "call" the toss, giving them more "control" over the outcome. A perceived advantage, at least.

A runoff also isn't "fair." Who wins the second time is not an indication of who won the first time.

The athletes should have to agree in advance of the competition to arbitration. Have an arbiter review any claims in a reasonable time to gather the evidence without everyone lawyering up big-time. If the arbiter can't decide based on the evidence, go to an equal number of ping pong balls for each competitor.

No way four competitors can go. Now you're on that slippery slope of how well run the preliminary races were. Lots of smaller nations, lots of politics.

Yep I would have to agree with this, it is very hard to believe that they would not have something in place for this. And no doubt that a coin flip for the last spot isn't fair and as for a runoff again not fair at all. You train to peak for a given moment a set date.

It will be interesting to see how this one plays out and what is done for the future.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:25 pm

Martin VW wrote:

See, this is (one of) my point(s). We are talking about the Olympics! She probably trained for 10+ years for this moment, facing adversity along the way. Now she faces just a wee bit more, which presumably pails in comparison to all the days/months/years of training, injuries, bad breaks, etc. and she gives up. I'm glad she's not even trying. Felix has already represented the needed never-give-up attitude much better than Tarmoh could ever hope for. Tarmoh needs to rethink why she's competing. It may be for the wrong reasons.
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:47 pm

Ben Z wrote:
Martin VW wrote:

See, this is (one of) my point(s). We are talking about the Olympics! She probably trained for 10+ years for this moment, facing adversity along the way. Now she faces just a wee bit more, which presumably pails in comparison to all the days/months/years of training, injuries, bad breaks, etc. and she gives up. I'm glad she's not even trying. Felix has already represented the needed never-give-up attitude much better than Tarmoh could ever hope for. Tarmoh needs to rethink why she's competing. It may be for the wrong reasons.

Ben could not agree more with what you said. You would think no matter how messed up the situation is and the fact that there was no really plan in place, one would think she would be ready to redo it in the parking lot. I know personally for me I would have said tie ok lets go back on the track and redo it right now!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:02 pm

Martin VW wrote:

How?
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:26 pm

She must know she can't beat Felix in a head to head race. They train together. She pulled out because she knew she'd lose.

If you look at the race video, Felix had a bad start and closed on Tarmoh from behind... and her left foot hit the line before Tarmoh crossed. Then, Felix PRd in the 200m while Tarmoh finished 5th.

I think that there is too much potential for embarassment for Tarmoh... and she has more good racing ahead of her.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:34 pm

Mr MattM wrote:She must know she can't beat Felix in a head to head race. They train together. She pulled out because she knew she'd lose.

If you look at the race video, Felix had a bad start and closed on Tarmoh from behind... and her left foot hit the line before Tarmoh crossed. Then, Felix PRd in the 200m while Tarmoh finished 5th.

I think that there is too much potential for embarassment for Tarmoh... and she has more good racing ahead of her.

That's no excuse. You have to take your chances, right?
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:36 pm

Jerry wrote:

Not necessarily. Felix is the better runner and has a better shot at a medal.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:50 pm

Mr MattM wrote:
Jerry wrote:

Not necessarily. Felix is the better runner and has a better shot at a medal.

So this is about patriotism now that she is afraid she beats Felix by accident like Felix slip or false start etc? scratch
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:51 pm

Well, she doesn't want it. Why do we care? End of discussion.lol!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin VW Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:14 am

healdgator wrote:
Martin VW wrote:

How?

A bit cryptic, but if you mean how is she better off not running, at that level it's more about confidence, and an event that diminishes your confidence - like being blown out because you aren't ready mentally - can have an effect on other races down the road.
Martin VW
Martin VW
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ssilvert Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:01 pm

A few late comments on this topic:

• I read the Sports Illustrated article about how Roger Jennings officially made his indecision. It's well worth the read.
  • We'll never know who won. Even with a camera taking 3000 frames per second, the instruments used were not precise enough to tell who won.
  • Jennings is the best in the business. If he can't tell who won, it's a dead heat. Dead heat means, "we don't know who wonl".
  • Jennings admits that his original unofficial call was an interpolation. It was a well-educated guess.
  • As far as we know, nobody acted in bad faith. In my non-legal opinion, Tarmoh has no case. I don't think she'll even file a suit.
  • Regardless of anything else, Tarmoh should have run.
  • Just for the sake of good sportsmanship, she should have run.
  • Just for the good of the sport, she should have run.
  • Just for the joy of competition, she should have run.
  • Just because she didn't run, we all missed out on a little inspiration.
  • We can use a little inspiration these days.
Stan
ssilvert
ssilvert
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:44 pm

Mr MattM wrote:She must know she can't beat Felix in a head to head race. They train together. She pulled out because she knew she'd lose.

This is plausible to me. However, we will never really know what is going on inside Tarmoh's head! Fear, resentments, anger maybe? Or is it standing up for your belief for the betterment of the sport, or self indulgence? Either way, she ran a great race and would represent the country very well as will Felix.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum: