365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Second At-Bat to BQ - Hartford

+10
JohnP
mul21
Kenny B.
KathyK
Mike MacLellan
Michele "1L" Keane
Michael Enright
carleenp
Jerry
Alex Kubacki
14 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Second At-Bat to BQ - Hartford - Page 2 Empty Re: Second At-Bat to BQ - Hartford

Post  Michael Enright Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:17 pm

Alex Kubacki wrote:Had the race Friday night. First they f'd up my results. This was a loop race. After 5 loops one of the officials comes up to me and lets me know my chip wasn't working. Great. Takes them 5 laps to tell me. It was the D-tags on the shoe which I hate. So they gave me a new one and I assumed they would make sure the first 5 laps counted as we also gave our number as we crossed the finish line. Looks like they didn't

Regardless the race didn't go as planned. I broke a racing rule. I had something during the race I hadn't tested. Well not entirely true. I had a PB&J and some Gatoraid. I had tested the PB&J on a training run but only had water. I've had Gatoraid plenty of times in races. But never both combined. Oops. Right around 26M in I threw up. I went another 6M but it was mostly walking as when I tried running my stomach was coming up again. So officially it was 32.56M. I could have kept going but it wasn't a goal race and didn't see the point of mostly walking for a non-goal race.

Overall it was a nice introduction for Ultras. I plan to do a 50M next year.

Sorry to hear about the upchucking. But the thing with the frickin' chip is ridiculous!

You've convinced me that ultras are as crazy as I thought they were already... Very Happy
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Second At-Bat to BQ - Hartford - Page 2 Empty Re: Second At-Bat to BQ - Hartford

Post  Alex Kubacki Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:53 am

Michael, I emailed them about the results and they said I should get credit for every lap and would contact the timing company. The results still show the same though.

Sunday - 5M. Took Saturday off after Friday night's race. Felt pretty good as I didn't really tax myself at the race.

Monday - 6M. Just went easy again.

Tuesday Lunch - 8M. 5M @ HMP. Wasn't overly hot but it was humid. It went ok. Didn't have the sting in my legs.

Tuesday PM - 4M. Recovery.

Wednesday - 11M GA. Thought this would be a treadmill run after reports said we'd be getting Tstorms and flash flood rain. But it held off and I got outside and it only rained the last three miles.

Thursday - 4M. After trashing myself the past couple of days my legs were shot.

Friday - 7M with 8 x 100m. Early morning run. Very humid out. I was soaked early.

After 5 weeks of Friday night time on feet runs for the race last Friday we're back to a normal schedule now. Tomorrow will be 18M. I'm hoping to run this as a progressive. We'll see.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:13 am

Saturday - 18M Progressive. This was run in basically soup. I was completely drenched after. Even though I carried water I still had to stop at a gas station to refill. After 5 weeks of time on feet running it was nice to run a faster long run. Definitely have some work to do though.

Sunday am - 7M Easy. Again running in soup. I carried some water for this when normally I never would for an easy 7M.

Sunday pm - 4M Easy. Got this in right before the sky exploded with storms. Dew Point was mid-70's.

This weekend coming up is the Falmouth Road Race and I can't wait as it's my favorite race to run.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:30 pm

Alex Kubacki wrote:Saturday - 18M Progressive. This was run in basically soup. I was completely drenched after. Even though I carried water I still had to stop at a gas station to refill. After 5 weeks of time on feet running it was nice to run a faster long run. Definitely have some work to do though.

Sunday am - 7M Easy. Again running in soup. I carried some water for this when normally I never would for an easy 7M.

Sunday pm - 4M Easy. Got this in right before the sky exploded with storms. Dew Point was mid-70's.

This weekend coming up is the Falmouth Road Race and I can't wait as it's my favorite race to run.

I agree regarding the running in soup comments Saturday/Sunday! All I needed was to add some noodles!

Enjoy Falmouth!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:01 pm

Thanks Michael.

Monday am - 4M easy before work. A lunch meeting screwing things up today.

Monday pm - After work, 8M. 2 x 1M, 2 x .5M. Not really a fan of doing speed after work because it's almost impossible for me to get to sleep. Oh well.

Tuesday - 5M. Easy. Legs a bit trashed from yesterday.

Wednesday - 10M GA. Legs not fully back but my pace ended up being pretty good. May have run it a little too fast.

Thursday - 6.5M with 6x100m. Didn't realize it was going to be as hot and humid as it was. Could have used some water.

Heading to the Cape tomorrow. Falmouth Road Race Sunday. Chris Solinsky is running it along with some Kenyans and other elites. Not sure where my speed is right now but I'm looking forward to it.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:20 pm

Good luck on Sunday, Alex. I'm still jealous and hope to run it again someday.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:54 am

Good luck this weekend, Alex! I look forward to hearing how it goes!
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:53 am

Thanks Michele and Kathy.

I ran Falmouth Sunday. It's part of the US summer circuit series so it's got some elites. Chris Solinsky ran it. I think he did it as a tempo as he's recoverying from major surgery. It was also the 40th running so they made a big deal. It's rated one of the most scenic road races in the country. Just a great race and my favorite.

It's 7M point to point with the first three in rolling hills and then one final hill about 800m from the finish. About three of the seven miles run along the ocean. The race was created when a group of guys down at a bar in Woods Hole decided to run to another bar in Falmouth seven miles away.

There was steady rain until about an hour before. Then it became really humid. I ended up running 48:32 and placed 373 out of 10,611. I missed last year's PR by 4-seconds but placed better as the humidity was wrecking some havoc out there. A few people collapsed and needed an ambulance.

I did pass Bill Rogers and Frank Shorter but they were just jogging. Joan Benoit crushed my time. She's awesome.

Overall it was fun as always.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:09 am

Congrats on an excellent run. Don't "poo-poo" the course as it really isn't easy except for maybe those flat mile along the water. I think my PR for the course is around 43 min and I was booking it back then. Great finish placement.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:11 am

That sounds like such a fun race! And to see those awesome running legends there to boot....great experience!
Sounds like tough conditions, though. Congrats placing better than last year and staying tough!
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:04 pm

Awesome! I gotta do that someday.
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:47 am

Great job on the race.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:28 am

Thanks everyone.

Monday - 15M LSD. With the race on Sunday this is basically my long run.

Tuesday - 12M. LSD slower. Normally I would have done this on Wednesday but I was off from work and figured I could get this in today would be better.

Wednesday lunch - 6M GA with bursts. All morning my legs felt dead which didn't surprise me and planned on going easy. But once I got out there I felt pretty good and upped the pace. Then for the second half I threw in some unstructured bursts up hills and other places. I was pretty happy after.

Wednesday pm - 4M Easy. Did not eat enough in between and was actually bonking a bit the last mile. Comical.

Thursday - 4.5M Easy. Now my legs were feeling a bit sluggish, but not too bad.

Friday - 8M Easy with 8x100m. Gotta love these 4am runs. Can tell now it's getting later in the season as it stays dark the whole time now where just a couple of weeks ago it was light by the end.

Tomorrow will be 18M with the first fast finish. I have no idea how the fast finish will go. Not sure where I am at this point. This will be a nice test.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:30 am

Don't be too surprised if the FF is tougher than expected, Alex. Your week-to-date has a few mentions of sluggish and heavy-leggedness. Do you have a rest day coming up? If so, you're probably safe pushing tomorrow a bit.

I hear you about bonking on a 4-mile run. Done it many many times.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:02 am

Mike, the FF ended up being ok.

Saturday - 18M with last 6M at MP and below. I never looked at my watch during the first 12M. I was a little disapointed at the time. Oh well. I had no issues when I dropped to MP. I'd like to have run the last 2M a little faster than I did but it's the first FF so no big deal.

Sunday am - 7M Easy. About perfect running weather. Sped up a little on the last two miles. Did some leg work after.

Sunday pm - 4M Easy. Just a nice day out there.

Today will be 5M easy and the leg work from yesterday will catch up to me. Tomorrow is back to LT running. I did the VO2 stuff earlier and now back to LT which is needed.

I just don't have a good feel for where I am at this point. I've got 8 weeks. I'm doing a tuneup Half next month so we'll see how that goes.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:11 am

I was checking out Hartford's website and noticed they have seeded runners. If you've run a sub 3:30 you can get a card that will allow you into the first corral after the elites. So I applied for that. That'll be nice.

Monday - 5M. Easy. The day after working out legs so my legs are always rubbery for these.

Tuesday lunch - 9M with 6 @ HMP-15K. Felt pretty good out there.

Tuesday pm - 4M. Easy. I had a fig newton before I took off after almost bonking last Tuesday.

Wednesday - 13M GA. Looking at my splits after I was a little too up and down.

Thursday - 4M. Easy. Fortunate to get this in with work being insane right now.

Friday - 8M with 8x100m. The good ole 4am runs.

Saturday - 22M LSD last 2M around MP. This went well. I try to throw a lot of hills in this. I was pleased after.

Sunday - 12M. I usually double on this day but decided to run a longer single. My legs were a little shot after. Did some leg work too.

Today will be 5M very easy and tomorrow will be speed work.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:59 am

Nice work!

I believe that seeded start is new this year for Hartford, as I don't recall it before (not that I would have been eligible!).

That'll be nice, though my experience in Hartford has been that so long as you get in the chute at a reasonable time, there really is no trouble getting near the front, should you choose. My only problem with that was the first time I ran it, when I was late to the chute due to a need to take care of some bodily function issues at the last minute, and I was stuck waaaaaaaaaay in the back.
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:48 am

Thanks Michael.

Monday - 5M. Easy. Legs were totally trashed from the weekend along with the leg work on Sunday.

Tuesday am - 9M w/ 6M @ HMP - 10K. Had to do this before work. After warming up for a couple of miles the first tempo mile I couldn't sustain HMP. Then it started raining and something clicked and I dropped right down. Then I started dropping too far down to 10K. So I ended up pushing this a little too hard and going outside LT a bit. Oh well.

Tuesday pm - 4M Easy. While it was raining for the morning run I was kind of fortunate because when I got done it really opened up. We got a ton real fast. Had some street flooding. Would have been difficult running in that.

Wednesday - 13M GA. Because I ran a little too fast yesterday I dialed slightly back on this one. I did finish with two miles at MP.

Thursday - 4M Easy. Barely had time for this.

Friday - 8M Easy with 8 x 100m. My Friday 4am run. Hate getting up but after I feel pretty good.

Tomorrow is 18M with a fast finish of about 8M.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:27 am

4AM run, huh? ugh. I've been doing my runs before work lately...but not at 4, more like 6. But I do feel great for the rest of the day.
Have a great weekend!
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:07 am

A few years ago I would get up at 4 am in the peak weeks of marathon training, because school would have started and I would need to get the run done, then get kids out of bed and onto buses, etc. That was hard. I'd either run on the road with a headlamp or on the track (but running at the track would cost me time going back and forth, and time was precious).

I'm glad I don't do that any more, but it can be tempting because evenings can be a tough time for me to box out enough time to run, depending on so many conflicting things. I never had a conflict at 4:00 a.m.!

Have a great weekend!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:36 pm

6mi @ HMP--->10k? Your PRs might be a bit soft, if you were able to do this workout so easily. What a Face
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:25 pm

Thanks Kathy and Michael.

Mike, Only 1M was down at the 10K range. It wasn't easy. I borderline time trialed it which was a mistake. I went beyond LT which defeated the purpose of the run.

Saturday - 18M with 8 @ MP. This went well. I tried to drop to HMP the last two but it just wasn't there. Overall I was happy with the run.

Sunday - 12M easy. With a tempo on Monday didn't want to run this too fast so I made sure I was going easy. Felt decent after Saturday.

Monday am - 9M Tempo. Stupid watch died less than a mile into the run. Did the tempo portion on feel. Made sure I didn't overdo it like I did last week.

Monday pm - 4M easy. Did some resistance training as well.

Today will be 5M easy and tomorrow will be 12M GA.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:18 pm

Tuesday - 5M Easy. Just an easy run after Monday's speed day. I had dinged my back slightly on Monday doing some one legged hops up some stairs. So I've been feeling it a bit this week.

Wednesday - 12M GA - Last 2M at MP. A bit humid out there. I'm starting to run these a little smarter. I was going out too hard on these for a while.

Thursday - 4.5M Easy - Just getting it done.

Friday - 8M Easy/GA 8 x 100m. Just a few more of these 4am runs left. I ended up running this on the border of being easy and pushing a bit. Fairly humid for this.

Tomorrow will be a 22M time on feet run. After this weekend I'll have 5 weeks left.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:51 am

Saturday - 22M LSD. Wow was it humid, pretty high dew point. I always carry water but I still had to make two stops to refill. Even though I put a lot of body glide on I still got some fun rashes. The run went very well though.

Sunday - 12M. Easy. Much better weather. Had some storms Saturday night that took care of the humity.

Today will be a speed day. After four hard weeks, this will be a step back week which will lead into a tuneup Half on Saturday.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:08 am

Alex Kubacki wrote:Saturday - 22M LSD. Wow was it humid, pretty high dew point. I always carry water but I still had to make two stops to refill. Even though I put a lot of body glide on I still got some fun rashes. The run went very well though.

Sunday - 12M. Easy. Much better weather. Had some storms Saturday night that took care of the humity.

Today will be a speed day. After four hard weeks, this will be a step back week which will lead into a tuneup Half on Saturday.

Good job. Yes, Saturday was just an awful, humid day, and Sunday was nice. Looking good!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next