365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

The 3rd time's a charm!

Page 19 of 22 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

Go down

Re: The 3rd time's a charm!

Post  JohnP on Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:38 am

@Chris M wrote:Allright, here's my random thought of the day and Jim's blog is where this lands...



So I assume most of you have seen the whole nonsense from the Giants game this last weekend where two different players faked injuries and dropped to the ground to stall and delay the other team's hurry up offense. It really is as bad as the worst aspect of international soccer with guys falling to the ground with phantom injuries and then of course popping right back up and being able to play with no problem after that. So what should the NFL do? You can't force teams to take a timeout every time someone gets legitmately hurt. Teams would run out of timeouts. You also can't really judge what injuries are fake/real either out on the field or even afterwards. So here's my invented solution:



If you go down with an injury and your team does NOT use a timeout then you can't play the rest of that quarter. Will that stop someone from pulling this kind of stunt with say 30 seconds to go? Maybe not. Will it unfairly take someone out of the game who gets the wind knocked out of them and needs the clock stopped but is not seriously hurt? Maybe so but so what? If you are hurt enough to need the refs to stop the clock without a timeout being called, then there has to be some result for that. Most people who go down with an injury are seriously hurt and this won't be a problem at all. They are not coming back all game, let alone that quarter. But if you do go down with a fake/mild/serious injury and the ref is forced to stop the clock, I propose that the player then be prohibited from entering the game again that quarter.



So say we all!
I agree something needs to be done. Another way is to force the team to use a timeout. And if they don't have any, then it's a penalty. The main issue being that we shouldn't penalize someone who really is hurt from getting attention.
avatar
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1226
Points : 4505
Join date : 2011-06-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The 3rd time's a charm!

Post  JohnP on Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:48 am

I was kind of wondering myself about the 400s. I know a lot of you fast guys here do that set of 16 in the last three weeks but I wasn't sure why. So it's more like an extended set of strides.
avatar
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1226
Points : 4505
Join date : 2011-06-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The 3rd time's a charm!

Post  Chris M on Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:18 am

@JohnP wrote:I was kind of wondering myself about the 400s. I know a lot of you fast guys here do that set of 16 in the last three weeks but I wasn't sure why. So it's more like an extended set of strides.



That's my understanding of it. Dave could explain more but the goal was to restore some "pop" to the legs. Having done nothing faster than maybe 10K pace in tempos for a couple of months and maybe some 5K paced 800s here and there, I think many of us end the marathon cycle with the legs simply lacking any fast firing memory of what it takes to do the turnover neccessary for 3K and faster paces. I know that at my race on Sunday, I felt like I had tons left in the tank to run at HMP but you could have put a gun to my head and I would not have been able to summon up 5K pace. So 400s certainly make you work that sub 5K paced turnover which is so different than what we've been doing. 3k pace was my goal going in and my repeats ranged from that down to 1 mile pace or even faster so it was a major shock to the system but things definitely were working better the more I ran at that pace. It sure is different going from MP and MP+60 type running down to MP MINUS 120 seconds! There's a phyisology benefit for marathoning I don't fully understand but I know that in the last few days leading up the race itself, many runners do an extremely fast set of repeats to try and "load" or spike VO2 max right before the race. I view the 16x400 as just a couple of week out prep for restoring some more normal flow to the legs for faster paced running.
avatar
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1061
Points : 3991
Join date : 2011-06-14
Age : 49
Location : Washington, DC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The 3rd time's a charm!

Post  mul21 on Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:20 pm

I guess the last workout I posted was the intervals on Wednesday and I followed that up with easy 4 milers on Thursday and Friday. Thursday was around 9:00 pace and Friday was closer to 8:10. I also got to see my Cubbies in one of their few highlight games of the year last night when they took down the Cardinals and hopefully contributed to them not making the playoffs. Unfortunately, they gave them one back this afternoon in yet another meltdown by the closer.

Today was scheduled to be the last long run of the cycle and Dave wanted me to be a little bit more aggressive than normal with the pace. The goal was to be just a bit under GA pace, so probably somewhere in the low 7:30s for me. I was feeling pretty good and the weather was nearly perfect with the exception of a bit of a headwind from mile 2.5 to 7.5. At the 5 mile mark, I was averaging just under 7:30 pace and feeling god, so I decided to throw in some MP miles. I knocked out the next 5 at an average of 7:05 and then finished up with 5 more fastish miles in the 7:20s. Final average for the run was 15 miles @ 7:20 pace and I really felt pretty darn good when I got done.

As Dave said, now the real taper begins! I'm sure I'll be freaking out by the middle of this next week!
avatar
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1481
Points : 4871
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 42
Location : St. Louis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The 3rd time's a charm!

Post  Kenny B. on Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:15 pm

@Chris M wrote:
@JohnP wrote:I was kind of wondering myself about the 400s. I know a lot of you fast guys here do that set of 16 in the last three weeks but I wasn't sure why. So it's more like an extended set of strides.



That's my understanding of it. Dave could explain more but the goal was to restore some "pop" to the legs. Having done nothing faster than maybe 10K pace in tempos for a couple of months and maybe some 5K paced 800s here and there, I think many of us end the marathon cycle with the legs simply lacking any fast firing memory of what it takes to do the turnover neccessary for 3K and faster paces. I know that at my race on Sunday, I felt like I had tons left in the tank to run at HMP but you could have put a gun to my head and I would not have been able to summon up 5K pace. So 400s certainly make you work that sub 5K paced turnover which is so different than what we've been doing. 3k pace was my goal going in and my repeats ranged from that down to 1 mile pace or even faster so it was a major shock to the system but things definitely were working better the more I ran at that pace. It sure is different going from MP and MP+60 type running down to MP MINUS 120 seconds! There's a phyisology benefit for marathoning I don't fully understand but I know that in the last few days leading up the race itself, many runners do an extremely fast set of repeats to try and "load" or spike VO2 max right before the race. I view the 16x400 as just a couple of week out prep for restoring some more normal flow to the legs for faster paced running.

I think 100 strides do a good job 400's certainly is a step up I am throwing in a 5k race next weekend which I feel will give me the benefit of fast turn over.

Jim - great job on the long run I like the pace you did and nice to see some MP's the last bunch of miles. You are certainly in shape for hitting your goal. Now "real" taper begins along with madness!
avatar
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2042
Points : 5078
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 45
Location : Jersey Shore!

View user profile http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Re: The 3rd time's a charm!

Post  Gobbles on Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:08 pm

Last Long Run!!! Taper Time.

Can't wait to see you in Boston in 2013!
avatar
Gobbles
Poster
Poster

Posts : 335
Points : 3214
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 42
Location : Outside the Perimeter - Atlanta, GA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The 3rd time's a charm!

Post  healdgator on Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:33 am

@mul21 wrote:I guess the last workout I posted was the intervals on Wednesday and I followed that up with easy 4 milers on Thursday and Friday. Thursday was around 9:00 pace and Friday was closer to 8:10. I also got to see my Cubbies in one of their few highlight games of the year last night when they took down the Cardinals and hopefully contributed to them not making the playoffs. Unfortunately, they gave them one back this afternoon in yet another meltdown by the closer.

Today was scheduled to be the last long run of the cycle and Dave wanted me to be a little bit more aggressive than normal with the pace. The goal was to be just a bit under GA pace, so probably somewhere in the low 7:30s for me. I was feeling pretty good and the weather was nearly perfect with the exception of a bit of a headwind from mile 2.5 to 7.5. At the 5 mile mark, I was averaging just under 7:30 pace and feeling god, so I decided to throw in some MP miles. I knocked out the next 5 at an average of 7:05 and then finished up with 5 more fastish miles in the 7:20s. Final average for the run was 15 miles @ 7:20 pace and I really felt pretty darn good when I got done.

As Dave said, now the real taper begins! I'm sure I'll be freaking out by the middle of this next week!

damn, very nice. Sounds like you are as ready as you could hope to be.
avatar
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Posts : 585
Points : 3308
Join date : 2011-06-23
Age : 44
Location : Orlando

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The 3rd time's a charm!

Post  Alex Kubacki on Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:05 pm

Great job on the last 20. You've had an awesome training cycle. You're ready to throw it down.
avatar
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1252
Points : 4235
Join date : 2011-06-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The 3rd time's a charm!

Post  jon c on Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:03 am

Great job of finishing up your training cycle! Sounds like you've done all the work, now it's time to see how well things fall together in a couple weekends from now.
avatar
jon c
Regular
Regular

Posts : 507
Points : 3234
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 61
Location : Nebraska

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The 3rd time's a charm!

Post  Gobbles on Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:21 pm

3 Days since you last posted... Tapering doesn't mean slacking!!! I hope your running is seeing more of you than your blog. No
avatar
Gobbles
Poster
Poster

Posts : 335
Points : 3214
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 42
Location : Outside the Perimeter - Atlanta, GA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The 3rd time's a charm!

Post  mul21 on Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:15 pm

Thanks Alex and Jon. Gobbles, here's your update:

6 easy miles Sunday, 6 easy miles on Monday, 5 easy miles including 8 x 100 strides yesterday. Today was the blow out the pipes workout that Dave likes to get in about 10 days out from race day. 8 miles total with 3 x 1 mile @ 6:00 with .5 mile recoveries. I took this to the mill to save a little wear and tear on the body. This was just a little easier on the piriformis than trying to crank out miles on the track, plus it was mid-day when I did and I didn't want to look like the creepy old guy doing a track workout while school was still in session. Not great, not awful, but it's in the books. No more high effort stuff until about mile 20 of the marathon!
avatar
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1481
Points : 4871
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 42
Location : St. Louis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The 3rd time's a charm!

Post  Seth Harrison on Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:39 pm

Good to see that you're finishing up the training cycle looking strong.
I'm also dealing with a chronic low-level periformis issue. It doesn't seem to be getting in my way, and I hope you're isn't much of an issue either. I've found that specific periformis stretches really have helped. I hope they've helped you too. At any rate, I'm sure taper will be good for whatever ails you!
avatar
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Posts : 907
Points : 3776
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 57
Location : Irvington, NY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The 3rd time's a charm!

Post  Chris M on Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:13 pm

Nice repeats. I WAS THAT GUY AT THE HIGH SCHOOL TRACK TODAY! Ha ha. It wasn't too bad because there were two other walkers who were from the local neighborhood there. But I laughed when I read your comment because that's exactly what I feel like when I'm parking there midday while school is still going on. Who is the creepy old guy skulking around the stadium during the school day?
avatar
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1061
Points : 3991
Join date : 2011-06-14
Age : 49
Location : Washington, DC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The 3rd time's a charm!

Post  John Kilpatrick on Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:13 pm

@mul21 wrote:Thanks Alex and Jon. Gobbles, here's your update:

6 easy miles Sunday, 6 easy miles on Monday, 5 easy miles including 8 x 100 strides yesterday. Today was the blow out the pipes workout that Dave likes to get in about 10 days out from race day. 8 miles total with 3 x 1 mile @ 6:00 with .5 mile recoveries. I took this to the mill to save a little wear and tear on the body. This was just a little easier on the piriformis than trying to crank out miles on the track, plus it was mid-day when I did and I didn't want to look like the creepy old guy doing a track workout while school was still in session. Not great, not awful, but it's in the books. No more high effort stuff until about mile 20 of the marathon!

Good last hard workout. How is your leg feeling anyway? I assume if you've made it to this point, you will be ready to rock on the 9th. Have to give a shout out to the Cubbies for their efforts this weekend!!! Laughing You should have a ton of confidence with Chicago - you've had an enviable training cycle so far!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1542
Points : 4498
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 48
Location : Leesburg, GA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The 3rd time's a charm!

Post  Jim Lentz on Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:43 pm

Some good looking running going on there, Jim.
avatar
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1171
Points : 4623
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 57
Location : Downers Grove

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The 3rd time's a charm!

Post  Kenny B. on Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:55 pm

I like the repeats 10 days prior to race. You are looking great. I got 3x2000m planned 10 days out at 10k pace with 2 min jog between might change to 3 min jog.
avatar
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2042
Points : 5078
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 45
Location : Jersey Shore!

View user profile http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Re: The 3rd time's a charm!

Post  mul21 on Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:02 pm

@Kenny B. wrote:I like the repeats 10 days prior to race. You are looking great. I got 3x2000m planned 10 days out at 10k pace with 2 min jog between might change to 3 min jog.

Do the 3 x 1 mile at sub 5K pace. I think it's a really great workout timed like Dave has had me do it. Last cycle I went 6:16, 6:15 and 5:53 and felt really confident after blowing the last one out like that. Do each one, then get in a solid 800m recovery so you're ready to go for the next. Hard effort on the first 2, then all out on the last one. I probably could have gone into the 5:40s on the last one yesterday, but I didn't want to push my luck.
avatar
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1481
Points : 4871
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 42
Location : St. Louis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The 3rd time's a charm!

Post  Schuey on Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:47 am

Hey Jim long time no talk or post to your blog! Sorry about that. Looks like you are one step closer to hitting your goal here in Chicago!

Looking forward to seeing you. Hey are you coming to the dinner on Friday night?
avatar
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2165
Points : 5713
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 47
Location : So Many Roads To Ease My Soul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The 3rd time's a charm!

Post  mul21 on Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:35 pm

@Schuey wrote:Hey Jim long time no talk or post to your blog! Sorry about that. Looks like you are one step closer to hitting your goal here in Chicago!

Looking forward to seeing you. Hey are you coming to the dinner on Friday night?

No worries man! It's not like you're trying to adjust to a new schedule and keep running 100 miles a week or anything!

I think I will make it to dinner. That's a tentative yes, as I'm not sure on my arrival time on Friday.
avatar
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1481
Points : 4871
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 42
Location : St. Louis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The 3rd time's a charm!

Post  Kenny B. on Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:07 pm

Ill consider the 3x1600 with 800m recovery! Thanks!
avatar
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2042
Points : 5078
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 45
Location : Jersey Shore!

View user profile http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Re: The 3rd time's a charm!

Post  mul21 on Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:32 pm

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My piriformis is tight, my left side lower abs down into my groin is irritated, 7:05 pace feels harder than it should, and the weather might suck! Did I miss anything? Oh, how I hate taper.

In reality, it's not all that bad, but it is taper and everything is so amplified. I'm freaking out much moreso than I have for past marathons.

Over the weekend, i got in 12 w/ 6 @ MP on Saturday and actually averaged 6:59 pace for the MP portion, which is 5-6 seconds faster than I need to be next weekend. Just an easy 4 miler yesterday to shake out the legs. 25 miles to run and some strides until go time!
avatar
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1481
Points : 4871
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 42
Location : St. Louis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The 3rd time's a charm!

Post  healdgator on Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:43 pm

You are all set, man. Be confident.
avatar
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Posts : 585
Points : 3308
Join date : 2011-06-23
Age : 44
Location : Orlando

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The 3rd time's a charm!

Post  Chris M on Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:57 pm

@mul21 wrote:AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My piriformis is tight, my left side lower abs down into my groin is irritated, 7:05 pace feels harder than it should, and the weather might suck! Did I miss anything? Oh, how I hate taper.

In reality, it's not all that bad, but it is taper and everything is so amplified. I'm freaking out much moreso than I have for past marathons.

Over the weekend, i got in 12 w/ 6 @ MP on Saturday and actually averaged 6:59 pace for the MP portion, which is 5-6 seconds faster than I need to be next weekend. Just an easy 4 miler yesterday to shake out the legs. 25 miles to run and some strides until go time!



7:05 pace felt harder than it should because you ran 6:59 pace! Relax. My late taper time MP runs always feel a little off at times. I've grown to not like that final 8 with 4 at MP "dress rehersal" because it never quite feels as easy as I think it should. But believe me that pace will feel toooo easy on Sunday. Be patient in those early miles. I'm telling myself as much as you. Patient and controlled.
avatar
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1061
Points : 3991
Join date : 2011-06-14
Age : 49
Location : Washington, DC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The 3rd time's a charm!

Post  Dave-O on Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:57 pm

@healdgator wrote:You are all set, man. Be confident.

You are more than set. Ignore the niggles, you won't feel them with the adrenaline on Sunday.
avatar
Dave-O
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 1736
Points : 4726
Join date : 2011-06-14
Age : 36
Location : Chicago

View user profile http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: The 3rd time's a charm!

Post  healdgator on Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:57 pm

I'm hoping we get a transcript of Coach Dave's prerace speech.
avatar
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Posts : 585
Points : 3308
Join date : 2011-06-23
Age : 44
Location : Orlando

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The 3rd time's a charm!

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 22 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum