365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

The 3rd time's a charm!

Page 5 of 22 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13 ... 22  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The 3rd time's a charm!

Post  Schuey on Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:40 pm

I think you will be fine if you plan on being done by 8:15. The end of the run might start to get a little rough but by that point your almost done.

I plan on doing the same thing I'm hoping to be out the door between 5 and 5:30, will see!
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP on Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:44 pm

It is kind of ironic to use a treadmill in the summer but I have resorted a few times myself. It's better to get the miles in, especially if it's a harder workout, than to have to abort during a workout. Also, I know what you mean about the lightning. I was out earlier this year in a forest preserve when it stuck unexpectedly and it was pretty scary. But I had no car nearby and had to run home, at a picked up pace!
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:50 pm

I do not think any of us are looking forward to running next week. I think it is the running gods trying to see who has the most guts. Good luck!!
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 on Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:41 am

@Schuey wrote:I think you will be fine if you plan on being done by 8:15. The end of the run might start to get a little rough but by that point your almost done.

I plan on doing the same thing I'm hoping to be out the door between 5 and 5:30, will see!

It did get a little rough at the end, but I took a Gu at about 14 and that got me through the end in good shape. Just needed a little boost.

@JohnP wrote:It is kind of ironic to use a treadmill in the summer but I have resorted a few times myself. It's better to get the miles in, especially if it's a harder workout, than to have to abort during a workout. Also, I know what you mean about the lightning. I was out earlier this year in a forest preserve when it stuck unexpectedly and it was pretty scary. But I had no car nearby and had to run home, at a picked up pace!

Yeah, the mill isn't ideal, but it's a whole lot better than no running or heat stroke. It only really bothers me when I consistently have to do more than 10 miles at a crack on it. Up to 10, not a big deal to me anymore.

@Nick Morris wrote:I do not think any of us are looking forward to running next week. I think it is the running gods trying to see who has the most guts. Good luck!!

Well, I bested the running gods this morning at least! My buddy and I got started before 6:00 and finished up a little after 8:00 before it got too hot. It was actually a great run. Not too hot and the humidity wasn't oppressive yet and we knocked out the 16 at 8:06 pace. Definitely the furthest I've gone that fast outside of a marathon, so I'm headed in the right direction.
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:49 am

@mul21 wrote:
@Nick Morris wrote:I do not think any of us are looking forward to running next week. I think it is the running gods trying to see who has the most guts. Good luck!!

Well, I bested the running gods this morning at least! My buddy and I got started before 6:00 and finished up a little after 8:00 before it got too hot. It was actually a great run. Not too hot and the humidity wasn't oppressive yet and we knocked out the 16 at 8:06 pace. Definitely the furthest I've gone that fast outside of a marathon, so I'm headed in the right direction.

Great run this morning!! It looks like the pieces are definitely falling into place...
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. on Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:53 am

Jim great run 16 at that pace and feeling good is a superb sign.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O on Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:37 am

Great run this morning, and before 6:00 am? That's hardcore my friend.
Dave-O

View user profile http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:39 am

Nice run, Jim. Wish I could run that early tomorrow, but I'm "racing" and it doesn't start until 7:30 am. A day to be cautious as it is supposed to be 75F by 8 am in Erie. Re-hydrate well!
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 on Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:41 am

@Dave-O wrote:Great run this morning, and before 6:00 am? That's hardcore my friend.

Thanks! And I would agree if it wasn't 100% necessary. It was either that or get cooked again. As it was, my shorts were completely drenched and dripping onto my legs by the end. Nothing like having to plan a stop at the house mid run to change clothes!
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. on Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:37 pm

@mul21 wrote:
@Dave-O wrote:Great run this morning, and before 6:00 am? That's hardcore my friend.

Thanks! And I would agree if it wasn't 100% necessary. It was either that or get cooked again. As it was, my shorts were completely drenched and dripping onto my legs by the end. Nothing like having to plan a stop at the house mid run to change clothes!

Real men don't change clothes do you do that in a race. Man up already and deal with the sweat. Rolling Eyes
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey on Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:31 pm

@mul21 wrote:

Good for you for having a good run today Jim! I stuck to my guns and was running by 5:40 myself. Same here not to hot and the humidity wasn't to bad but still worst then what it has been the last few days here. Also like you I was soaked but I didn't have the option of changing cloths mid run. I think if I would have done that I don't know if I would get my ass back out the door!

Again congrats for getting in your long run early this morning.
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 on Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:41 am

@Kenny B. wrote:Jim great run 16 at that pace and feeling good is a superb sign.

Thanks Kenny, I was glad I gout out there early and got it done.

@Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Nice run, Jim. Wish I could run that early tomorrow, but I'm "racing" and it doesn't start until 7:30 am. A day to be cautious as it is supposed to be 75F by 8 am in Erie. Re-hydrate well!

Oh, I certainly did rehydrate. Lots of G2 and water all day long. Hope it's not too nasty out there for you this morning.

@Kenny B. wrote:

Real men don't change clothes do you do that in a race. Man up already and deal with the sweat. Rolling Eyes

I didn't change today, but if this weather continues, which it probably will, I'll be stopping home at 10 miles to swap shorts if I'm going 20. It just gets too miserable sloshing around in soaked drawers!

@Schuey wrote:

Good for you for having a good run today Jim! I stuck to my guns and was running by 5:40 myself. Same here not to hot and the humidity wasn't to bad but still worst then what it has been the last few days here. Also like you I was soaked but I didn't have the option of changing cloths mid run. I think if I would have done that I don't know if I would get my ass back out the door!

Again congrats for getting in your long run early this morning.

Nice job getting out there by yourself. That's the toughest part of early morning running for me, getting out there when I don't have anybody to run with, especially that early. But it was really nice to have it out of the way and enjoy the rest of the day.
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 on Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:44 am

Done with my mileage for the week! Bring on the beer!

I got in 8 muggy miles this morning and finished up around 9:20 before it got really awful. My watch died just before mile 1, so I have no idea what my pace was, but I'd guess I was right around 9:00 for the entire run. I had a feeling the watch was going to die, so I checked the clock in the kitchen on my way out the door and it was right around 72 minutes for the run.

Now, the question is, will I get too dehydrated if I bust out the Bud Light Limes right now? afro
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. on Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:52 am

Nice weekend of running. I think you can handle a bud light although why waste the buzz on bud light go get a real beer like Guinness and savoir it going down.

Or get a Dos Equis and be the most interesting man in the world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Bc0WjTT0Ps
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:55 am

@mul21 wrote:Done with my mileage for the week! Bring on the beer!

I got in 8 muggy miles this morning and finished up around 9:20 before it got really awful. My watch died just before mile 1, so I have no idea what my pace was, but I'd guess I was right around 9:00 for the entire run. I had a feeling the watch was going to die, so I checked the clock in the kitchen on my way out the door and it was right around 72 minutes for the run.

Now, the question is, will I get too dehydrated if I bust out the Bud Light Limes right now? afro

Isn't there water in beer??

Good work this morning!! Isn't it awesome to know what pace you are running even without a watch. I am to that point, as well...Enjoy the rest of your day!!
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 on Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:56 am

@Kenny B. wrote:Nice weekend of running. I think you can handle a bud light although why waste the buzz on bud light go get a real beer like Guinness and savoir it going down.

Oh, trust me Kenny, normally I would grab one of the delicious Belgian varieties I have in the beer fridge. However, if you start drinking before noon, you have to go with something a little lighter than that so you don't pass out before 5:00! Trust me, I've done this before! lol!
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. on Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:57 am

@mul21 wrote:
@Kenny B. wrote:Nice weekend of running. I think you can handle a bud light although why waste the buzz on bud light go get a real beer like Guinness and savoir it going down.

Oh, trust me Kenny, normally I would grab one of the delicious Belgian varieties I have in the beer fridge. However, if you start drinking before noon, you have to go with something a little lighter than that so you don't pass out before 5:00! Trust me, I've done this before! lol!

I ain't no connisseur on beer intake so I will take your word. But, I do love Dos Equis I just feel so dam interesting when I drink them. Even when I drink alone, I am not alone. I am the most interesting man in the world.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:50 am

@Kenny B. wrote:
I ain't no connisseur on beer intake so I will take your word. But, I do love Dos Equis I just feel so dam interesting when I drink them. Even when I drink alone, I am not alone. I am the most interesting man in the world.

I have won trophies for my gameface alone.
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O on Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:26 pm

Changing shorts midway through a run is a sneaky good secret for the summer. I'm a big fan.

Enjoy the beer. I still have a long run hanging over my head...
Dave-O

View user profile http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:35 pm

All this talk of beer - I feel terrible as for the last two Sundays in a row, I've had a beer before 10 am!
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H on Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:14 pm

When you are changing those shorts mid-run, take a minute to open the fridge and look at that beer that will be awaiting your return. Think of it as a cooling motivation . . .
Tom H
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 on Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:34 am

@Dave-O wrote:Changing shorts midway through a run is a sneaky good secret for the summer. I'm a big fan.

Enjoy the beer. I still have a long run hanging over my head...

Yep, I just have to make sure I go back out the door after I change. The 20 on the mill doesn't sound like any fun at all. I may have to do this weekend's long run that way. Ugh.

@Michele "1L" Keane wrote:All this talk of beer - I feel terrible as for the last two Sundays in a row, I've had a beer before 10 am!

In Dave's training group, drinking is not only encouraged, it's required, especially if you just ran a race. Racing is a great excuse to drink before noon, you've got your workout done for the day and there's no reason not to!

@Tom H wrote:When you are changing those shorts mid-run, take a minute to open the fridge and look at that beer that will be awaiting your return. Think of it as a cooling motivation . . .

See, then there's the issue of willpower involved, and beer almost always wins over just about anything else, especially running in hot weather!
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. on Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:37 am

I like to put my shorts inside the freezer so when i change them I get a nice shock to the system scratch

Seriously I see no reason to change shorts mid-way through a run. It simple enough to ring them out a bit while running if need be but dam we got some heavy sweaters on this forum. 365Sweaters.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 on Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:40 am

Tough workout last night. The plan was for 10 with 5 @ tempo. I made the mistake of not taking an ice bath after my long run Saturday and was still feeling the effects of that (well, that and maybe some drinking on Sunday....) and my legs were just not in the mood for running at all, let alone a tempo. I got all 10 miles in, but instead of 5 continuous at tempo, I did 3 @ 6:49, took a half mile break, and then did another 2 @ 6:49. Decent workout, and I got the miles in, even if it wasn't as planned. I think after a recovery run today I should be fine and good to go for the rest of the week.
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. on Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:05 am

I have to assume it was dam hot yesterday night so 5 Tempo is rough on the body. I think you played it very smart in breaking it up at 3 and 2. I would like to see your HR data on this. I try hard not to go to far out of my zone when running.

That said it takes a lot of discipline not only to change the run on the fly but actually to take a half mile break and they do it again for 2 more miles. It's like punishing yourself twice.

Recover/replenish today at take it very easy on the recovery run so you can hit your goals for the next days ahead.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 22 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13 ... 22  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top